Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 931640 times)

hufs calve muscles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #7200 on: January 28, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
Finally watched Black Mass. I thought it was great.  Then I watched the doco on him. Dude is the devil for real.

And Straight Outta Compton was straight warm bin juice. Being very old I was hyped to watch it seeings I grew up with the music. What a stinker.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #7201 on: January 28, 2016, 07:40:45 PM »
Expand Quote
been laid up the last few days so went on a binge... some great movies to recommend:

Electric Boogaloo - The Untold History of Cannon Films

Really entertaining doc about Cannon Films, makers of every C grade (or usually lower) film from the 1980's whose biggest hits were Breakin', Delta Force and the Death Wish sequels.  This is back when people made low budget trash films because they actually thought they were good, not trying to be hip or clever.

The Color of Noise

Documentary about Tom Hazlemeyer and his record label Amphetamine Reptile, one of my favorite labels back in the early 90's and home of some legendary weirdo bands like the Cows, Helmet, God Bullies, Melvins, etc...  Dope, Guns and Fucking in the streets!

Mannaja - A Man Called Blade

Great violent as fuck spaghetti western, not much different than other violent spaghetti westerns other than the use of hatchets.  Can't go wrong with these kind of movies.

Le Trou

How had I never heard of this movie?   Amazing Criterion film, a french prison break movie.  Slow moving and tense, shows all the steps taken in real time and real sound (also stars a man who actually broke out of a french prison so he had the inside info).  One of the best I have seen in awhile, reminds me of Riffiffi or Le Circle Rouge.  Unexpected ending, too.

Bone Tomahawk

Saving the best for last... fucking awesome movie and one of the best I've seen since The Kill List.  Starts out as a slow burning western/revenge tale, ends up being gut churningly violent horror like Saw...  How this one flew under the radar I have no idea but usually the best ones do.   Can't recommend this enough.  Here's the trailer:

[close]

cool selection and trying to check those of my list one by one

so far only watched MANNAJA but it just wasn't my cup of tea i guess.
funny enough a friend of mine told me about bone tomahawk the night before i checked out this thread again, but made it sound like it was more of a trashy type of movie, but after reading a couple reviews including the one you gave i can't wait to check it out.

and i am still waiting for the right evening/ mood to watch THE REVENANT. trailer looks sooooo fucking heavy witch hardy dragging him into his grave and all that shit. guess i have to mentally prepare for that one.

last good movie i saw was NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN that i did not see since it must have come out- SOOOO STOKED!

Bone Tomahawk is not trashy at all, it's completely the opposite.  I know I threw a "Saw" comparison in there but it's not like that whatsoever, although it gets gory as fuck.  It's actually really dark and slow burning (a few reviews say it drags a little but I didn't think so), and it's not a spaghetti western revival film like Hateful 8.  Can't wait to hear your feedback on it, I've been telling everyone I know to check it out.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #7202 on: January 29, 2016, 03:18:37 AM »
is the color of noise on Netflix?
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7203 on: January 29, 2016, 06:04:42 AM »
is the color of noise on Netflix?

I don't think so, at least not streaming.  if you're interested in Amrep you should look for the blu-ray/dvd, has tons of extras on it and totally worth buying.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
« Reply #7204 on: January 30, 2016, 12:12:33 PM »
Saw anomolisa and it was rad seeing people leave during the fucking scenes......

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #7205 on: January 30, 2016, 12:21:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
been laid up the last few days so went on a binge... some great movies to recommend:

Really entertaining doc about Cannon Films, makers of every C grade (or usually lower) film from the 1980's whose biggest hits were Breakin', Delta Force and the Death Wish sequels.  This is back when people made low budget trash films because they actually thought they were good, not trying to be hip or clever.

The Color of Noise

Documentary about Tom Hazlemeyer and his record label Amphetamine Reptile, one of my favorite labels back in the early 90's and home of some legendary weirdo bands like the Cows, Helmet, God Bullies, Melvins, etc...  Dope, Guns and Fucking in the streets!

Great violent as fuck spaghetti western, not much different than other violent spaghetti westerns other than the use of hatchets.  Can't go wrong with these kind of movies.

Le Trou

How had I never heard of this movie?   Amazing Criterion film, a french prison break movie.  Slow moving and tense, shows all the steps taken in real time and real sound (also stars a man who actually broke out of a french prison so he had the inside info).  One of the best I have seen in awhile, reminds me of Riffiffi or Le Circle Rouge.  Unexpected ending, too.

Bone Tomahawk

Saving the best for last... fucking awesome movie and one of the best I've seen since The Kill List.  Starts out as a slow burning western/revenge tale, ends up being gut churningly violent horror like Saw...  How this one flew under the radar I have no idea but usually the best ones do.   Can't recommend this enough.  Here's the trailer:

[close]

cool selection and trying to check those of my list one by one

so far only watched MANNAJA but it just wasn't my cup of tea i guess.
funny enough a friend of mine told me about bone tomahawk the night before i checked out this thread again, but made it sound like it was more of a trashy type of movie, but after reading a couple reviews including the one you gave i can't wait to check it out.

and i am still waiting for the right evening/ mood to watch THE REVENANT. trailer looks sooooo fucking heavy witch hardy dragging him into his grave and all that shit. guess i have to mentally prepare for that one.

last good movie i saw was NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN that i did not see since it must have come out- SOOOO STOKED!
[close]

Bone Tomahawk is not trashy at all, it's completely the opposite.  I know I threw a "Saw" comparison in there but it's not like that whatsoever, although it gets gory as fuck.  It's actually really dark and slow burning (a few reviews say it drags a little but I didn't think so), and it's not a spaghetti western revival film like Hateful 8.  Can't wait to hear your feedback on it, I've been telling everyone I know to check it out.

i will let you know!

but i have to watch it with a friend of mine, started skating together and we got similar taste in movies, so it'S usually us having a beer checking it out.

i love it when you find a movie you tell everybody about and that they should watch it, where most flew under the radar!

Koji-Wu

« Reply #7206 on: February 02, 2016, 11:08:36 PM »

Funny, bizzare and sinister all at the same time.

Koji-Wu

« Reply #7207 on: February 02, 2016, 11:13:53 PM »

I loved Delta Force as a kid, and that looks like Missing in action on the cover. Chuck had some really good, but really shit films back in the 80's. I watched Invasion USA a couple of years ago and it was terrible - at the time of release I thought it was the best thing ever.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #7208 on: February 03, 2016, 03:17:09 AM »
Quote from: Koji-Wu  link=topic=25196.msg2444023#msg2444023 date=1454483316

Been wanting to watch this.

John C. Reilly has seemingly become one of my favorite actors. Him portraying Steve Brule is brilliant.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Tay

« Reply #7209 on: February 03, 2016, 10:38:09 AM »

This movie emotionally wrecked me, I'm crying right now just thinking about it.  :'( All them poor puppies... It's like Passion of the Christ for normal people.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #7210 on: February 08, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #7211 on: February 09, 2016, 02:32:19 AM »
Walk among the tombstones was really good.

I watched Out of Furnace last night for the third time, probably one of my favourite movies in the last 10 years. Such a fucking heavy-on-atmosphefe movie, Bale and Woody Harelson are amazing, and Im also a big Forest Whitaker fan. And that Pearl Jam song was really nice through out the whole movie.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #7212 on: February 12, 2016, 01:19:02 AM »
 Deadpool was awesome.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #7213 on: February 13, 2016, 02:18:53 AM »

Not their best, but really entertaining all throughout.
The more I think back on it, the more I like it.

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #7214 on: February 13, 2016, 10:13:35 AM »
Quote from: Koji-Wu  link=topic=25196.msg2444023#msg2444023 date=1454483316
Expand Quote

[close]

Been wanting to watch this.

John C. Reilly has seemingly become one of my favorite actors. Him portraying Steve Brule is brilliant.

favorite movie of last year. i love this director. every excited for his next two projects

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7215 on: February 14, 2016, 06:04:19 PM »
The Handover Trilogy by Fruit Chan is all on youtube, so fuckin good

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #7216 on: February 17, 2016, 12:15:42 PM »
Deadpool was an unexpected gem, saw it yesterday and it was hilarious and entertaining all the way through, really stoked to see what this does for rated R superhero movies in the future.

coneklr

« Reply #7217 on: February 17, 2016, 12:38:46 PM »
Fully agree with the couple Deadpool posts, saw it with my girl on Saturday and we both loved it!  Also Cinebarres are awesome!  I had never experienced them back east but now I  only want to see movies this way haha

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #7218 on: February 17, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
also saw Deadpool... expected it to be terrible, and it was, but it was hilariously terrible.  certain lines about plot, budget, and other real-life observations were unexpected and hilarious. 
hardly art, hardly starving

rideflannel

« Reply #7219 on: February 17, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »

Best documentary I have watched in a minute. If you are into climbing or stories of extreme perseverance then give it a go. Shit is gnarly.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #7220 on: February 17, 2016, 02:19:30 PM »
Saw Deadpool .  It wasnt perfect but there was alot of good comedie , acting , action and other stuff

Its a damn good watch

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #7221 on: February 17, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »
Bought a ticket to see revenant and then walked in to zoolander 2 afterwards.
I'm glad I didn't have to pay for zoolander.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #7222 on: February 17, 2016, 04:51:31 PM »

i've been meaning to watch this one for a while.  scored a first edition LP of the soundtrack a while back. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #7223 on: February 17, 2016, 05:29:08 PM »
Just saw Where to Invade Next, the latest offering from Michael Moore. Great film, funny, entertaining, and eye opening. I have hope for America.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #7224 on: February 17, 2016, 08:44:21 PM »
Saw 'Steve Jobs' on the plane the other week, I quite liked it

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #7225 on: February 18, 2016, 09:04:12 AM »
Zoolander 2 sucked almost as badly as Dumb and Dumber To.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #7226 on: February 19, 2016, 04:41:07 AM »
I saw The Witch last night.  Wasn't really jump scary, but it was disturbing and pretty fucking metal.  Was officially endorsed by The Satanic Temple. 

**SPOILERS**
My favorite depiction of Satan in any film.
Also, maybe the reason it wasn't super scary is because they go both barrels 5 minutes in, and then it builds up really slow until the last 30 or so.

I think I'm over going to theaters though.  Bitch next to me answering her fucking phone, texting, saying "Oh, he 'gon die" every 2 minutes.  Whole row of teenagers laughing at the English accents.  Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7227 on: February 20, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i've been meaning to watch this one for a while.  scored a first edition LP of the soundtrack a while back. 

Surprisingly they have it for rent on iTunes.  It's definitely worth a watch.  (btw I know you are a soundtrack guy... I recently picked up the new Last House on Dead End Street LP and it's fucking incredible)

a few recent watches:

Awesome.  quite possibly my favorite traditional Western (of the non-spaghetti variety).  Superb acting and visually incredible.  A+

Eh... sub-par corrupt cop thriller that takes place during the Rodney King verdict/riots.  Kurt Russel is awesome as always, but terrible acting (Korrupt and Master P cameos) and the always annoying "gangsta whiteguy" drags it down.  D

Pretty awesome and violent modern Western... cliche as hell and totally by-the-numbers spaghetti style, but still a fun watch.  92 minutes which is the perfect length for a movie in my opinion.  Also stars French mega-babe Eva Green.  Oui Oui.  B

Has anybody else seen this?  I guess I deserve it for watching anything that has to do with M Night Shyamalan, but I had read this was surprisingly good... but holy fuck this is hands down the worst movie I've ever seen.  So bad it makes me wonder how anybody in their right mind could give it a good review (I'm convinced anybody on IMDB who gave it more than 1 star is just his secretary creating hype). 

Even if it had been really scary (it wasn't) and well acted (it wasn't) and well written (it wasn't), the 12 year old lispy bowl cut white kid who raps on screen more than a few times would be enough to make me wanna gouge my eyes out.  The only thing surprising is how this movie got made and how Shyamalan gets any work at all.  Fuck that guy.  F-

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #7228 on: February 20, 2016, 12:11:15 PM »

Eh... sub-par corrupt cop thriller that takes place during the Rodney King verdict/riots.  Kurt Russel is awesome as always, but terrible acting (Korrupt and Master P cameos) and the always annoying "gangsta whiteguy" drags it down.  D

Pretty awesome and violent modern Western... cliche as hell and totally by-the-numbers spaghetti style, but still a fun watch.  92 minutes which is the perfect length for a movie in my opinion.  Also stars French mega-babe Eva Green.  Oui Oui.  B

Even worse than Training Day?

Am I seeing the names right on that western? Eric Cantona?

He's a fucking existential genius.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #7229 on: February 20, 2016, 04:33:09 PM »
The Martian was fucking terrible. Waste of time. Could have been so much better.