Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925732 times)

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #7590 on: February 18, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
He also did "Bone Tomahawk".  Its on Amazon

That one is so good.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7591 on: February 19, 2018, 04:06:55 PM »

Yeah, I loved that as well.  I’m really feeling his first two directorial offerings.  Looking forward to what he comes up with in the future.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #7592 on: February 20, 2018, 06:17:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I loved that as well.  I’m really feeling his first two directorial offerings.  Looking forward to what he comes up with in the future.

Bone Tomahawk was great, but that last death near the end fucked me up. I feel like I had trouble shaking the visuals of that scene. Maybe I'm just a little bitch.

Irvine-Sucks.com

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #7593 on: February 20, 2018, 06:42:14 PM »
I generally can't stand Superhero movies but wanted to see Black Panther as it's hard to ignore at the moment. I enjoyed it more than every other MCU joint but probably not as much as everyone else it seems.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #7594 on: February 25, 2018, 04:26:14 AM »
watched bone tomahawk because of this thread
bet your boots ill be watching brawl in cb99

i didnt watch this super recently but a little william h macy chat at work made me remember enjoying the shit out of it

based off a david mamet play...you know its good

jomeara1

« Reply #7595 on: February 25, 2018, 11:52:52 AM »
Just watched that new Netflix movie Mute.  Pretty good movie and I thought Paul Rudd did a fantastic job in it.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #7596 on: February 25, 2018, 11:04:13 PM »
Black Panther was great!

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #7597 on: March 01, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
Annihilation was SO good, and totally worth seeing in theaters for the last 10 or 15 minutes alone.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7598 on: March 01, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »
Annihilation was SO good, and totally worth seeing in theaters for the last 10 or 15 minutes alone.
I really enjoyed it, and I'm also not sure how I felt about it. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. I walked out feeling the same as the first time I watched 2001.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #7599 on: March 02, 2018, 06:12:07 AM »
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

ungzilla

« Reply #7600 on: March 02, 2018, 06:56:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I really enjoyed it, and I'm also not sure how I felt about it. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. I walked out feeling the same as the first time I watched 2001.

I really liked the books, after the first trailer I was kinda bummed that it looked pretty action movie-i-fied, if that makes sense. It also looked like it covered all three books in one go. That's a lot of plot to squeeze into 2 hours or so. Regardless I'll definitely be checking it out at some point, especially given all the positive reviews it's getting...

Yu Dum

« Reply #7601 on: March 02, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I really liked the books, after the first trailer I was kinda bummed that it looked pretty action movie-i-fied, if that makes sense. It also looked like it covered all three books in one go. That's a lot of plot to squeeze into 2 hours or so. Regardless I'll definitely be checking it out at some point, especially given all the positive reviews it's getting...
Saw it the other day with my lady. I have yet to read the books, but the film was pretty interesting. Visually, it was stunning. Absolutely beautiful visual feats.
The buildup to everything is fairly slow and the action is pretty limited as to not draw away from the sci-fi aspect. It left me with a lot more questions than answers, but a little extra research helped me understand what actually happened. I’m no film expert, but I’d give this an 8.5/10.
Some of the characters felt a little two dimensional, though. No real development; just explanations for their backgrounds.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #7602 on: March 02, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Bone Tomahawk was great, but that last death near the end fucked me up. I feel like I had trouble shaking the visuals of that scene. Maybe I'm just a little bitch.

Heavy Fulci influence in that scene (if you've ever seen "Conquest" you'll know what I'm talking about); also with the gore effects in Cellblock 99.  Can't wait to see what he does next
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #7603 on: March 07, 2018, 01:14:50 PM »
Just watched this at McMenimans while drinking some beers and it was great. Pixar movies are the shit. I wish I had a Mexican grandmother.

hell yeah dude! not normal a disney/pixar guy but i watched this with my kid yesterday and im pretty sure i enjoyed it even more than he did

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #7604 on: March 07, 2018, 02:02:21 PM »
Been playing catch up with all the Oscar films, 3 billboards was great I can see why Frances Mcdormand and Sam Rockwell won their respective awards. Diaster Artist was good but thought it would be better, Franco did a great job with the Wisseu accent.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #7605 on: March 07, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Heavy Fulci influence in that scene (if you've ever seen "Conquest" you'll know what I'm talking about); also with the gore effects in Cellblock 99.  Can't wait to see what he does next

Just watched Cellblock 99, pretty fucking awesome.  So far Zahler has made 2 of my favorite movies of the last 5 years (or so).  I’m sure he’d hate the comparison, but he reminds me of tarintino if tarintino stuck to what he does best (dialogue, violence) and stopped all the “clever” bullshit he does (genre-dropping, pop culture references, the n-word every 5 seconds).

Fulci comparison is spot on... definitely has that vibe. 

Anybody read any of his books?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #7606 on: March 07, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »
Saw T2 Trainspotting.

It was pretty decent. Didn't do anything to diminish the first one and there were a few great moments. It does have a bunch of flashbacks to the first one which to me underscored how the original is an amazing, seminal movie and this one was not.

My wife refused to watch because she didn't want anything altering her perception of the first one because it's probably one of her top five movies and it's intertwined with the time in youth when she first saw it. I get that.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #7607 on: March 08, 2018, 06:45:47 AM »
Saw T2 Trainspotting.

It was pretty decent. Didn't do anything to diminish the first one and there were a few great moments. It does have a bunch of flashbacks to the first one which to me underscored how the original is an amazing, seminal movie and this one was not.

My wife refused to watch because she didn't want anything altering her perception of the first one because it's probably one of her top five movies and it's intertwined with the time in youth when she first saw it. I get that.

T2 was great. The first one is a top 3 for me and this didn't mess with it. I hope they do one in another 20 years.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #7608 on: March 08, 2018, 06:54:30 AM »
Oscar nom binged last weekend.

- The Shape of Water: 6.5/10 - Not bad, not great. Love how Del Toro gave Abe Sapien his own movie.
- 3 Billboards: 6/10 -  Kinda hokey. I thought it was based on a true story. It isn't. Has a couple of good moments.
- The Darkest Hour: 7/10 - Nothing surprising. Loses points for the sentimental subway scene. Gary Oldman was excellent.
- Get Out - 7/10 - Original, for a horror movie. Fun
- Call me by my name - 8.5/10 - Only complaint was that it was 20 minutes too long. Ended well.
- Dunkirk - 9/10 - Not the biggest Nolan fan but this is what he is good at. Loved it.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #7609 on: March 08, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »
I watched Thor Ragnarok last night, it was pretty good, lots of laughs.  Cate Blanchett as Hela made my wiener tingle.

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #7610 on: March 09, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
Watched Coco, Blade Runner 2049, and I, Tonya last week, and they were all great.

You don't at all need to be a kid to enjoy Coco, or be old enough to really remember the Tonya Harding incident to enjoy either film. Margo Robbie was great, but Francis Mcdormand 100% deserved the win for 3 Billboards. Allison Janney for sure earned her win for supporting actress though, as she pretty much dominates every scene she's in during I, Tonya.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7611 on: March 09, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »
Fellini's Toby Dammit in Spirits of the dead was great. Malle's section was subpar but Vadim's was straight up embarrassing.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #7612 on: March 09, 2018, 01:54:55 PM »
just watched scarface again like every six months!

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #7613 on: March 09, 2018, 01:55:44 PM »
watched pretty much all of John Cassavetes movies recently. Hadn't seen most of them.

I liked "Love Streams" and "Shadows" the best (maybe).

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:00:35 PM by botefdunn »

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #7614 on: March 09, 2018, 09:02:52 PM »
Fred Claus my booy Vince Vaughn is tha shit

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #7615 on: March 09, 2018, 10:18:53 PM »
After reading the discussion about them above I checked out Cellblock 99 and Bone Tomahawk and they were fucking gnarly, thought I was pretty desensitized to movie violence but man was I wrong. That director would be perfect for a new Mortal Kombat movie

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7616 on: March 10, 2018, 01:27:15 AM »

My favourite Jonathan Demme movie so far. Wish they would release True Stories on blu-ray.

Chike23

• Rep: -2
  • If your having fun, your skating!
« Reply #7617 on: March 11, 2018, 01:32:55 AM »
Logan

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #7618 on: March 11, 2018, 04:01:33 AM »
After reading the discussion about them above I checked out Cellblock 99 and Bone Tomahawk and they were fucking gnarly, thought I was pretty desensitized to movie violence but man was I wrong. That director would be perfect for a new Mortal Kombat movie

ahahahahaa PLEASE let's make this happen!

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #7619 on: March 11, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »
Silence of the lambs is still creepy as fuck.