Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925350 times)

Seduction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #7710 on: September 12, 2018, 04:24:59 PM »
The trailer for “you were never really here” looks pretty damn good, but it’ll have to top his roles in Her and The Master. Which may happen...
Joaquin is great in that, he’s great in everything but I don’t think he’ll ever top his performance in The Master

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7711 on: September 13, 2018, 04:48:09 AM »
Expand Quote
The trailer for “you were never really here” looks pretty damn good, but it’ll have to top his roles in Her and The Master. Which may happen...
[close]

It's hard to compare those three movies since they're all so different in their feel, the way they were made, the world they were made to be in, and the way the stories are told and characters are portrayed. You Were Never Really Here is a much much smaller movie than the others and feels entirely different the way it was shot and edited and blahblah. It's great and you should see it though. I found it streaming online under it's original title of A Beautiful Day.

Wasn’t comparing per se, someone had mentioned this film is his best. My point was that’s a tough call because he’s got so many well acted roles under his belt. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

And on that, this looks pretty good as well....

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7712 on: September 13, 2018, 06:30:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It's hard to compare those three movies since they're all so different in their feel, the way they were made, the world they were made to be in, and the way the stories are told and characters are portrayed. You Were Never Really Here is a much much smaller movie than the others and feels entirely different the way it was shot and edited and blahblah. It's great and you should see it though. I found it streaming online under it's original title of A Beautiful Day.
[close]

Wasn’t comparing per se, someone had mentioned this film is his best. My point was that’s a tough call because he’s got so many well acted roles under his belt. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

I didn't mean compare the movies per se, justthat they're so different it's hard to say what he was better in. I still think The Master is #1.

The trailer I saw for the The Sisters Brothers left me kind of confused as to what they're going for. It was slapsticky and had modern music over it and it made it look like that Seth Macfarlane western.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #7713 on: September 13, 2018, 07:26:10 AM »
hereditary
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #7714 on: September 13, 2018, 07:33:09 AM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLykrziXGyg
What an absolutely amazing opening scene.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -40
« Reply #7715 on: September 13, 2018, 09:56:14 PM »
hereditary

By far best horror film to come out since The Witch.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7716 on: September 14, 2018, 04:46:17 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I didn't mean compare the movies per se, justthat they're so different it's hard to say what he was better in. I still think The Master is #1.

The trailer I saw for the The Sisters Brothers left me kind of confused as to what they're going for. It was slapsticky and had modern music over it and it made it look like that Seth Macfarlane western.

10/4, guy. A western film with John C Reilly and Joaquin... I’ll watch it on that alone.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLykrziXGyg
What an absolutely amazing opening scene.

The Coens sure know how to do it ha.... this is my favorite though. Miller’s Crossing

http://youtu.be/sXQ940YSD2A

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #7717 on: September 14, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote
hereditary
[close]

damn totally, the Vitch or Witch or whatever was fucking awesome. you seen anything like those 2 recently?
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #7718 on: September 14, 2018, 12:30:57 PM »
Falling Down

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #7719 on: September 15, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
Hereditary was so good. Watched it alone in a pitch black room just a little high. Scary.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7720 on: September 15, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hereditary
[close]

[close]

damn totally, the Vitch or Witch or whatever was fucking awesome. you seen anything like those 2 recently?

Hereditary and The Witch are both A24 films. Amongst other things, they also put out Green Room and The Lobster, both of which I love.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A24_(company)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=50st-WLZS1I

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #7721 on: September 15, 2018, 06:18:39 PM »
You might be into It Comes At Night or It Follows if you haven’t seen them. Both are good existential horror flicks, kinda like The Witch.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #7722 on: September 16, 2018, 03:57:38 AM »
loved hereditary,  it follows and the lobster.  it comes at night didnt really do it for me.

watched 'a quiet place' last night, another good horror.

the babadook is awesome.

upgrade is a good action movie with abit of substance

ungzilla

« Reply #7723 on: September 16, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
saw Mandy last night.

it was beautiful and visually incredible, and absolutely worth seeing on a big screen, despite shortcomings as far as plot and story go. soundtrack is sweet also. now i want to see it on a shitload of drugs.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7724 on: September 16, 2018, 04:16:06 PM »
Yeah I'm really excited to see Mandy. Seeing Nicholas Cage in something good again will be great.
And it'll be good to hear one last Johann Johannsson score. You can download it here if you want it:
http://newalbumreleases.net/114633/johann-johannsson-mandy-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2018/

the babadook is awesome.
It's one of my favorite movies, but seems surprisingly divisive? I've watched it a bunch of times with a bunch of people, and probably about half of them have really disliked it.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #7725 on: September 16, 2018, 06:23:26 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not quoting The Sisters Brothers poster again but pretend it's here
[close]

[close]

10/4, guy. A western film with John C Reilly and Joaquin... I’ll watch it on that alone.

The novel it's based on was a fun, quality read. I picked it up based off a Rick McCrank Instagram post recommendation.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:40:59 AM by saucy ragu »
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #7726 on: September 16, 2018, 10:30:04 PM »
Just saw Mandy

Holy Shit

if it's playing near you, GO
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7727 on: September 17, 2018, 12:18:47 AM »

Either Audiard's going full popcorn or it's a quippy trailer house trick. His last three movies would suggest the latter. Will see it nevertheless.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #7728 on: September 17, 2018, 04:44:51 AM »
agreed on the vvitch and a24 stuff

just watched the ritual last night- pretty spooky

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7729 on: September 17, 2018, 07:21:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Either Audiard's going full popcorn or it's a quippy trailer house trick. His last three movies would suggest the latter. Will see it nevertheless.

I'm sure marketing did that trailer, not the director or anyone on that side of the production. It just... I don't know. Didn't do them any favors.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7730 on: September 18, 2018, 04:42:29 PM »

jomeara1

« Reply #7731 on: September 19, 2018, 06:00:53 AM »
I watched shutter island for the first time recently. My friend told me it sucked so I never gave it a chance until now and I thought it was pretty damn good. I don’t know how Leo didn’t get an Oscar nomination for it. Mark ruffalo and Ben Kingsley were both great in it too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 06:02:59 AM by Johnny »

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7732 on: September 22, 2018, 02:31:59 PM »
What are you guy's thoughts on the upcoming Joker movie?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6DoZucws0
I mostly feel like they should just let the character die for a long while, but Joaquin Phoenix definitely could wind up doing something interesting with the role.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #7733 on: September 23, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »
What are you guy's thoughts on the upcoming Joker movie?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6DoZucws0
I mostly feel like they should just let the character die for a long while, but Joaquin Phoenix definitely could wind up doing something interesting with the role.

I'm skeptical of Todd Philips directing this kind of movie, but the cast is strong.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

smellsdead

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7734 on: September 23, 2018, 06:57:11 PM »
just saw mandy
very impressed

also caught a preview of a suspiria remake

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7735 on: September 23, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »

Ooh, how was it?

Custody. I was shook.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #7736 on: September 24, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
just saw mandy
very impressed

Mandy was like a 70's airbrushed van mural come to life.  Beautiful film.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

smellsdead

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7737 on: September 24, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
suspiria could be decent, its got tilda swinton and shes been in some hot flicks in my book-only lovers left alive, snowpiercer

mandy-yes dude i had an airbrushed van vision right when the tiger growled

and so much acid
i want acid so bad

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #7738 on: September 24, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-ySF3M3vIw

Took me couple of days to digest the movie but it's beautiful I have to say.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7739 on: September 24, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »
I was pretty hungover yesterday morning, so I got high and watched Small Soldiers for the first time in a long while.

It's still a pretty fun movie to watch. I wanna get a toy of Archer off ebay now, David Cross has a decent size part (Jay Mohr and Denis Leary are in it too...that's less cool), and Phil Hartman plays Kiersten Dunst's dad.

A part I definitely never got as a kid, was Hartman's character having a prescription to "codine" cough syrup. Badass.

Coincidentally, it turns out that Hartman died 20 years ago today.
https://www.avclub.com/20-years-ago-the-world-lost-a-singular-comic-talent-in-1828491387
Major R.I.P.

My mistake! He actually would have turned 70 today, the 20th anniversary of his death was earlier this year.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:28:39 PM by childhood »