Author Topic: jason dill appreciation  (Read 23639 times)

era

Re: jason dill appreciation
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2008, 12:38:38 AM »
I've been reading small parts of all these posts and its kinda crazy.  SKating isn't some art fag conspiracy theory or something.  Editors do what they want, skateboarders do what they want.  People are looking way to far into this shit.  Dills Mosaic part is wack cuz it seems as if hes trying to show off the fact that he travels, COMMON!  I might be missing the whole point of some of your posts so if I am just disregard this, but Dill is sick in all his parts and his new part will be sick to.

era

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2008, 12:42:11 AM »
Expand Quote
i see what you're saying but you can't categorize every new york skater as a hipster. thats more of a Manhattan thing. but brooklyn is a different story.
[close]

brooklyn? you mean the borough that contains williamsburg? just sayin.

dill on his trick stick=awesome
dill off his board=dumbass

he skates rad, but it's 1000% guaranteed that this guy will be eating out of garbage cans in 2 years

this may be true but by that time all his homies will be bums to and it will be cool to eat trash.

kilgore.

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »
you honestly believe, through his mosaic part, that jason dill was trying to be a hipster? and because of the art direction that was shortly put before he did lines in barcelona you think that justifies your statement further? you say some really fucking ridiculous shit on this board. far worse poster than any of these fake accounts because you genuinely feel these ridiculous points. it's outrageous at times.

jesus0nvi4gra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2008, 02:45:05 AM »
I bet The Gipper has a teeny weeny.

subroku2

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2008, 05:33:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
am i tripping or was there a version of mosaic without the flight info?  i remember when i first saw it there was no flight info and i think a couple songs were different.
[close]

yeah. there's two versions: the "premiere" version and the dvd version.

I prefer the premiere version of mosaic. Getz skated to the LOVE song that d. castillo and pudwill skate to in "skate more." It was epic.
[close]

Not to mention a full, sick, Ted Degros part. That dude is amazing.
[close]

ohhhhhh yeeeeeah! I remember watching the DVD for the first time and thinking "what the fuck? Didn't he have more footage?"

total recall

fuck. i think I'm a replicant.

that other version of getz was sick ;D

Hatechild

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2008, 10:23:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
His other parts aren't so bad, but his Mosaic part is the most trite, contrived piece of shit I have ever seen.
Everybody thought the line in Photo where he gets off the board is sick, so in Mosaic he just does these bullshit "lines" where he stops, gets off the board, and turns around, and does all sorts of other stupid shit that ruins the flow of the line. Where I am from, if you get off the board, stop, turn around, make a sandwich, and eat it before continuing the line, the fucking line is over.
Also, that part where they acted like he was such a wild world traveler for going to the most overexposed skate city outside of southern California just annoyed me. Wow Dill! You got to go to barcelona? Whats it like over there? Do they even have skatespots?
His whole "creative" crap is just some hipster "I'm an artist" bullshit if you ask me.
[close]

last time i checked skateboarding never had any writen rules...  if people are into his stuff, then they are.  the whole community isnt where your from.  so the fuck what if he went to barcelona.  at least he didnt do some skydiver trick down macba 4.  instead he got a bangin line with the most potent nollie backside heel flip. 
[close]
I don't give a shit about the whole community. I think it sucked, and was some contrived bullshit attempt to be creative while simultaneously only skating ledges and flatground at blown out spots.
And "so the fuck what if he went to Barcelona?" Exactly, only a lame motherfucker like Dill would act like that matters.
I like his other parts, and he has some damn good pop, but Mosaic was one of the cheesiest attempts at art ever.
[close]

so you dont give a fuck about the whole community, yet you voice your opinion like everyone should know... and what do you mean "only a lame motherfucker like dill would act like it matters"?  i dont think it did matter to him, it looked like he was just skating. how would you even know what he thinks? are you him?  no your a lurker on a forum that talks shit for the sake of hating.  get the fucc on cowboy
[close]
My point is that even if "the whole community" thinks something doesn't mean I have to. My opinion is that Dill's mosaic part was hipster bullshit, and a cheap attempt to imitate and profit off of something which people had earlier complimented. Also, watch mosaic again, they do this whole thing about how he flew to barcelona and show what times he left New york and got to Barcelona like it is some sort of big deal, then the whole second part is in Barcelona. Maybe Dill didn't care, but somebody did enough to edit that in, and its cheesy, but I think Dill cared.

Brent, you often jump up just to talk shit on me. You also started a "I hate women" thread in whatever. You are a classic sexually frustrated loser trying to take out the anger that nobody will touch him on somebody else. Maybe you think by putting others down it will make you less unattractive to the opposite sex, or that it will make you feel a little less lame. Its really sad and pathetic. REALLY pathetic.

I thought this was supposed to be an appreciation thread. Not dissectting/shit talking every move from one part from the poor guy...And I thought I was a skate nerd.

lakai!

• Rep: -94
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2008, 12:25:39 PM »
replying to the pops being a hipster comment: i thought a hipster was a person who lives in an urban area and likes to dress really weird to look cool. dill can fit into that category with his cut-off pants with pulled-up socks but i do not see how pappalardo's a hipster

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
replying to the pops being a hipster comment: i thought a hipster was a person who lives in an urban area and likes to dress really weird to look cool. dill can fit into that category with his cut-off pants with pulled-up socks but i do not see how pappalardo's a hipster

shitty tats?

lakai!

• Rep: -94
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »
not like that. things like a scarf in your pocket, glasses upside-down crazy shit like that to make them look "unique and cool". i don't think his tattoos would make him a hipster

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »
I've been reading small parts of all these posts and its kinda crazy.  SKating isn't some art fag conspiracy theory or something.  Editors do what they want, skateboarders do what they want.  People are looking way to far into this shit.  Dills Mosaic part is wack cuz it seems as if hes trying to show off the fact that he travels, COMMON!  I might be missing the whole point of some of your posts so if I am just disregard this, but Dill is sick in all his parts and his new part will be sick to.
I'm sorry, how could I possibly believe people hype up their image just to sell boards? I mean, aside from the fact that the entire skate industry has become a costume party, what could lead somebody to believe that these guys are doing it for anything but the love?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:56 PM »
i liked dill's mosaic part, it was pretty 101.

but the barcelona shit and the getting off the board stuff was a blatantly stupid attempt to recreate the undeserved buzz he got from walking down some stairs in photosynthesis.

killing time

• Rep: 19
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2008, 01:53:46 PM »

but the barcelona shit and the getting off the board stuff was a blatantly stupid attempt to recreate the undeserved buzz he got from walking down some stairs in photosynthesis.

sometimes its easier to throw down your board to get speed. maybe its just the way he skates, like he really strategicly planned "ok, i need to pick up my board."  if he really wanted to do somthing different, you think he would do somthing else besides of somthing already done, like pick up his board.  you guys are morons to discredit a part just because you think someone was trying to be "different"  if anything you should be hating the editor, or ultimatly the company for being down for somthing like that, because when it comes down to it, they decide whats going in and what dosnt. 
Do you want to put a saddle on the lion of Juddah and ride it back to babylon?

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »
He picked up his board because it was a blank, if it were a pro model he would have stayed on.

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2008, 02:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sometimes its easier to throw down your board to get speed. maybe its just the way he skates, like he really strategicly planned "ok, i need to pick up my board."  if he really wanted to do somthing different, you think he would do somthing else besides of somthing already done, like pick up his board.  you guys are morons to discredit a part just because you think someone was trying to be "different"  if anything you should be hating the editor, or ultimatly the company for being down for somthing like that, because when it comes down to it, they decide whats going in and what dosnt. 

nah, it was dills idea. trust me.

Randozzi

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2008, 02:16:50 PM »
since when did the forum become populated with Junior High girls? are you seriously unhappy because of how someone dresses?

who gives a flying fuck, it's what Dill does on his board that counts. you dig him, cool. you don't, cool. but saying that he intentionaly picked up his board in order to try and gain some sort of popularity is overanalyzing(sp?) things. smoke a joint, chill out and be happy that you can go outside your house and skate (wheather permiting).

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »
sometimes its easier to throw down your board to get speed. maybe its just the way he skates, like he really strategicly planned "ok, i need to pick up my board." 

ding ding ding

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2008, 02:38:35 PM »
since when did the forum become populated with Junior High girls? are you seriously unhappy because of how someone dresses?

who gives a flying fuck, it's what Dill does on his board that counts. you dig him, cool. you don't, cool. but saying that he intentionaly picked up his board in order to try and gain some sort of popularity is overanalyzing(sp?) things. smoke a joint, chill out and be happy that you can go outside your house and skate (wheather permiting).

are you fucking stupid?

yes, you are.

picking up his board in the middle of a line and then getting back on it is 'what does he on his board' you dumb fat cunt.

it's pretty much a universally acknowledged fact that dill spends time thinking of ways he can make his parts stand out, he himself has said this in many interviews. this is a good thing but unfortunately the way he chose to do it in this particular part was a little clumsy.

it is only fair that if he does something for the impact people can express negative thoughts as well as positive ones and many have expressed postive ones about his little stunts in this thread. if you think his photosynthesis part would be as a popular as it is without his little gay walk down the stairs then you are even stupider than you actually are, which is pretty fucking stupid.

also you forgot to mention stereo, your horrible hamfisted attempts at photography or your little crew of chubby bearded sf art faggots in your last post. quite unlike you.

smoke a rock, get some balls and some critical faculties and be glad that some companies still make a board that you can stand on without it snapping.

Randozzi

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »
you make some valid points but the personal insults are just dumb.

if he said he's done stuff in interview like you say, then i'm wrong, you're right.

'your little crew of chubby bearded sf art faggots in your last post' what crew?

you don't like my photos, that's cool but what the hell do they have to do with Dill, or Stereo?

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »

'your little crew of chubby bearded sf art faggots in your last post' what crew?

what's your signature?

Randozzi

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2008, 02:49:04 PM »
SPB

only a small percentage of the SPB live in SF and none of them were in the post you mentioned.

so why don't you like my photos?

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

so why don't you like my photos?

how am i like a junior high girl?

Randozzi

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »
wasn't calling you out specificaly, just those that made Dill's clothes an issue.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »
man the gipper sucks, go away, you try way too hard at stroking your e-peen

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2008, 04:29:21 PM »
Your name is fucking "viva hate." You hypocritical little fuck. stop trying to fit in so hard. You named yourself something with the word "hate" so people would approve of you, and now you jump on the "fuck gipper" bandwagon just so people will approve of you. You are a spineless little lemming and really have no purpose on here at all. You have no opinion. I have a differing opinion from the masses that apparently some others even agree with. I would say my opinions are much more valuable on here than yours "viva hate," even if sometimes they are harsh. Atleast I being something to the table you little shit.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2008, 06:03:01 PM »
Dill is just fucking good at skating. He's kind of one of those "real life" dudes. Like whenever I would see him do something, like a b/s smith on a bench, he would do it fast as hell and confident as fuck, like he knew he was going to land it. I guess there are a lot of dudes like that, though...
He also says interesting, thoughtful shit in interviews. For example, he was the first dude i ever heard/read apply the term "genre" to skating ("there's different genres of skating.") Then he said the X-Games was the Kenny G. of skating, which is hilarious.
That feedback part is the best. He was seriously killing it back then---s/w bs flip over picnic table, nollie b/s flip over full-size bench, f/s crooked grind an entire 20-ft. curved bench.

ps. whatever happened to "Fucking Awesome" clothing?

Heshstallion

• Rep: -9
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »
i dont think youre supposed to use your hands when skating in front of the camera

alienlurkshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2008, 07:25:18 PM »
i like that skateboarding is open to every style of skateboarding. jason dill is his own type of skateboarder, and some people like his decisions and some dont. Hes just doing his thing, making himself a career, having a good time, and is good at what he does. As crazy as he is, Dill is Dill and he does what works for him. i hate this hate
RIP Van

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »
Dill is just fucking good at skating. He's kind of one of those "real life" dudes. Like whenever I would see him do something, like a b/s smith on a bench, he would do it fast as hell and confident as fuck, like he knew he was going to land it. I guess there are a lot of dudes like that, though...
He also says interesting, thoughtful shit in interviews. For example, he was the first dude i ever heard/read apply the term "genre" to skating ("there's different genres of skating.") Then he said the X-Games was the Kenny G. of skating, which is hilarious.
That feedback part is the best. He was seriously killing it back then---s/w bs flip over picnic table, nollie b/s flip over full-size bench, f/s crooked grind an entire 20-ft. curved bench.

Dill is a fucking lazy bum.

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2008, 07:40:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Your name is fucking "viva hate." You hypocritical little fuck. stop trying to fit in so hard. You named yourself something with the word "hate" so people would approve of you, and now you jump on the "fuck gipper" bandwagon just so people will approve of you. You are a spineless little lemming and really have no purpose on here at all. You have no opinion. I have a differing opinion from the masses that apparently some others even agree with. I would say my opinions are much more valuable on here than yours "viva hate," even if sometimes they are harsh. Atleast I being something to the table you little shit.

Pretty sure his name is a Morrissey reference, nice try though.

Are you thinking of his footage in the AWS Industry Section in 411 #30?  Both parts are amazing though.  And I agree, Dill interviews are always a good read, it seems as though regardless of his other interests he still devotes a lot of thought to skateboarding.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2008, 07:44:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pretty sure his name is a Morrissey reference, nice try though.

Thanks!