Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 714932 times)

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #2790 on: February 21, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
some really, really great stuff on your flickr.  this in particular:

med format skate photography always gets me stoked.  do you go to UCSC?  a lot of your shots made me nostalgic for the campus and the city in general.  graduated two years ago and miss it everyday.

Fuuuuck so rad. I used to always walk by this place and just know there was some skate action hidden in there. The backside grab at CVS is also massive.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Rockin Robbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #2791 on: February 21, 2012, 04:27:57 PM »
Rented a 5D today for a week, decided to go for a walk and see what I could shoot for about an hour.

Don't ask for naked photos of my girlfriend, I don't have any.......yet.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:33:12 PM by Rockin Robbin »
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #2792 on: February 21, 2012, 05:04:36 PM »
@rockin robin, your girlfriend is almost as beautiful as your profile-gif, i'd like to see more  :)
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2793 on: February 21, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »
Where's you rent a 5D in SF? And how much did it run you? I want to rent a Nikon D700 just to mess with a full frame for once.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #2794 on: February 21, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »
just submitted some stuff to a zine kinda thing called Fersher
I'll have to wait and see if anything'll get picked.
@idealhandmades

Congo

• Rep: -1
    • Lost in the Internets avatar image
« Reply #2795 on: February 22, 2012, 03:22:40 AM »
Some recent pictures   :D

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #2796 on: February 22, 2012, 04:31:50 PM »
Here's a few from the hike I went on yesterday.

once I got near the top of the ridge, I was walking in clouds, it felt like a black metal video or something.

Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2797 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »
Here's a few from the hike I went on yesterday.

once I got near the top of the ridge, I was walking in clouds, it felt like a black metal video or something.

WOW

Seriously so sick, reminds me of the last scene in Inglorious Basterds, I took a shittier version of this shot at a forest across from my house, however I didnt have a tripod and was holding an umbrella, thus the shakiness

VictoriousOG

« Reply #2798 on: February 22, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
+1

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2799 on: February 23, 2012, 01:22:35 AM »

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #2800 on: February 23, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
first shots trying out the external flash

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #2801 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »

How many flashes have you got? And how do you trigger them? External flashes is, imo, what makes it really fun to go shoot and find new things to do with the light and shadows.

Even if the shadows can be a bitch sometimes, I like to try and include them like this every now and then.

Look forward to playing with those external flashes, there is so many possibilities  :)

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2802 on: February 23, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
Dope shot! That shadow makes that pic so much better. Was that only one external flash?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

RoedGroed

« Reply #2803 on: February 23, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
Dope shot! That shadow makes that pic so much better. Was that only one external flash?

Thank you! Yes - only one in this shot. Had the sun from the left and the flash from the right. This shot would be really dead without the shadow, the spot is really good looking, but hard to shoot to make the trick look interesting. Which is why I played around with the flash and shadow. The angle of the trick is also better portrayed in the shadow than in the actual trick. Its a nollie bs heel if you wondered  ;D

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #2804 on: February 23, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
Damn, everyone's killin it! Gnars all around boys.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #2805 on: February 23, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
went to a pretty rough spot today, got some photos!

Noseblunt Pull in

My friend actually took this, boneless by me haha

skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

NCSB

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2806 on: February 23, 2012, 04:56:08 PM »
my last four instagram pictures

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2807 on: February 24, 2012, 02:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How many flashes have you got? And how do you trigger them? External flashes is, imo, what makes it really fun to go shoot and find new things to do with the light and shadows.

Even if the shadows can be a bitch sometimes, I like to try and include them like this every now and then.

Look forward to playing with those external flashes, there is so many possibilities  :)

by external i simply meant "non pop up flash" so it was a flash-gun mounted on my hotshoe but i was bouncing it off a car and the ceiling, ive never used one before those are 2 of my first ever shots, loving your shot, cant wait till i can afford some pocket wizards of something so i can actually setup the flash somewhere else. but for now im simply learning how to use it, i was shooting with a manual lens so even working out how to correctly expose was a bit of a challenge in its-self

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2808 on: February 24, 2012, 03:02:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Look forward to playing with those external flashes, there is so many possibilities  :)

[close]

by external i simply meant "non pop up flash" so it was a flash-gun mounted on my hotshoe but i was bouncing it off a car and the ceiling, ive never used one before those are 2 of my first ever shots, loving your shot, cant wait till i can afford some pocket wizards of something so i can actually setup the flash somewhere else. but for now im simply learning how to use it, i was shooting with a manual lens so even working out how to correctly expose was a bit of a challenge in its-self

as far as i know, you can trigger most external flashes with your onboard flash, and decide whether you just want the onboard flash to trigger the external flash or if it should expose the picture as well. doesnt work well in daylight, but in darker areas i made some nice experiences with that.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2809 on: February 24, 2012, 03:18:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

as far as i know, you can trigger most external flashes with your onboard flash, and decide whether you just want the onboard flash to trigger the external flash or if it should expose the picture as well. doesnt work well in daylight, but in darker areas i made some nice experiences with that.

im confused, youre saying that if i put the external flash on a tripod and use the pop-up flash it will trigger the external to go off aswell?

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2810 on: February 24, 2012, 03:25:39 AM »
yeah, exactly! read it up in the manual or sth, or maybe google it. with my K-x, it says something like "flash in wireless mode" or sth

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2811 on: February 24, 2012, 03:56:58 AM »
Sounds awesome, ill give it a shot later.

havnt managed to read the manual yet as its one of those "foldout map" types that i hate and i got the flash in the post about half an hour before that skate sesh.

Gnars for all help as usual

RoedGroed

« Reply #2812 on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:21 AM »
Sounds awesome, ill give it a shot later.

havnt managed to read the manual yet as its one of those "foldout map" types that i hate and i got the flash in the post about half an hour before that skate sesh.

Gnars for all help as usual

The master/slave function where you can trigger your flashes with a flash mounted on your camera do work with some flashes and some cameras. It has some downsides IMO though. The slashes have to be able to 'see eachother', so you can't place them around a corner and stuff like that. You will also have to shoot with a flash directly from your camera, which sometimes can give some unfortunate shadows. It also gives you a kind of slow shutterspeed, since the one flash fires because it sees the light from the other flash.

I have had great times with those super cheap china radio triggers before i bought pocket wizards. The shot I posted above is from before I had pocket wizards, so they are shot with those. They fire like 7 out of 10 times, but function real easy and does only do 1 thing, which is trigger your flash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PT-04-GY-4-Channels-Wireless-Radio-Flash-Trigger-SET-2-Receivers-/350511780595?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item519c2152f3

They are worth checking out since they cost almost nothing compared to pocket wizards and stuff like that. And it does really improve your options!

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2813 on: February 24, 2012, 05:36:53 AM »
I've always been perplexed why whoever chose to call it the master and slave flashes, you would think they could have came up with something better.

And if your flash doesn't have an optical slave built in, you could buy an external plug-in; though the cheap radio trigger seems like a good buy.  I use an off shoe flash cord to bounce the light or direct it from an angle that isn't directly above the lens.

Derk the Jerk

• Rep: 61
  • Formerly Derka Derk
« Reply #2814 on: February 24, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »

I just figured I haven't posted or uploaded anything non-skate related in a long time.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #2815 on: February 24, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »
Where's you rent a 5D in SF? And how much did it run you? I want to rent a Nikon D700 just to mess with a full frame for once.

borrowlenses.com
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Don't Bother

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2816 on: February 24, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
This is going down in calgary tonight, should be tight each homie is bringing 100 prints

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #2817 on: February 24, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »

That is a sight for sore eyes.

Missing the motherland and the pints of Best.

////////////

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #2818 on: February 25, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »

I shot these ones with a disposable camera.

more @ www.bumbaclaat.tumblr.com

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2819 on: February 25, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »
This is going down in calgary tonight, should be tight each homie is bringing 100 prints

Decided to go on a whim after reading that at like 8:00, that was fun.

Sign nearby said that someone lived as a hermit in that cabin for 27 years, pretty crazy. The doorway is like 4 feet tall.

I need to get out to the mountains more often. I was wishing for Fongstarr's fisheye when I got to those waterfalls, it was difficult to show the scale of those things.