Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 714931 times)

Hercules Rockefeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #5520 on: December 14, 2014, 01:09:35 AM »
this wasnt meant to be a rant about how i would shoot cover after cover with a better cam, i am quite happy with it. i just wanted to point out that theres thousands of things to seek and try out, which makes photography even more interesting. i just got a lomo instant camera, that thing is fun too. its really interesting how stoked people are if you can actually hand them a photo in real life without showing it on a screen. the way they hold it and look at it, amazing.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #5521 on: December 14, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »
I definitely didn't take it as you ranting. I guess I took it as an opportunity to respond to people apologizing for posting iPhone/cell phone shots because they don't think they're good. This thread is about the fun photography brings. My bad if you took as me aiming that you. You know I love you, Herc  :-*
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Jares

« Reply #5522 on: December 14, 2014, 09:42:18 AM »
Good grief... sigh.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5523 on: December 14, 2014, 10:37:15 AM »
nah dont worry, i didnt take any of that as insult or anything, i`m actually pretty stoked that this is the overall consensus here.

IF I WAS PISSED, YOU WOULD KNOW #iwillkookyouinaninstant #-1 #godthatmightbetooharsh

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5524 on: December 15, 2014, 03:01:08 AM »
Playing with masks in New Orleans this weekend.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #5525 on: December 15, 2014, 03:42:12 AM »
Just a couple of recent "cliche" shots (sorry i forgot how to resize to make them smaller)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:51:12 AM by finknoos »

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5526 on: December 15, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Love the one with the kid jumping Cadillac ! And the legs too.
[close]
Thank you! I'm very surprised I even got it. I was mid-conversation with another street photographer when I, by chance, turned around to make a comment on everything going on that day. Saw the kid getting ready to jump and just shot. Didn't really get to focus, but I'm not too bummed he's a tad out of foucs.

Anyway, love the work and site. Squarespace is the shit. I did my website through them too.
When those work out they're the best.

And Thanks ! Took me a little while to do what I wanted to do with squarespace but they do nice things.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5527 on: December 16, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »
One from today:

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5528 on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:34 PM »
its great to see those protests all over america. sadly nothing is gonna change for you guys. stay safe.

Marc Muntané

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5529 on: December 17, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »
Just processed my first b/w roll in class, those are two of the pictures. I didnt risk it too much because i didnt know if my grandfathers old camera was okay and because it is the first time i am doing all the process by myself. The camera is a minolta SRT from the seventies with 125 ilford film.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5530 on: December 17, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
its great to see those protests all over america. sadly nothing is gonna change for you guys. stay safe.

True and true. SF has been having it's fare share of protest with some being wild and some being mellow. This was a mellow one. Started by a Jewish organization to show that other races and cultures care. I just accidentally ran into this while going to the 43 Magazine show. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5531 on: December 17, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
I just started freelancing for a newspaper so here are some of the first photos I took for them at a Baltimore march:

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5532 on: December 17, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »
^^^That's rad man. I am not street photographer (not even sure what I am) but I still don't have the balls to really go up to people and take their photos. Yesterday when I shot my protest photo, there were tons of cops but but didn't want to mess with them. I hardly got any portrait style photos because of it, so I had to stick with the group shots thing. Cool to see another person shoot the same type of thing and get so much more out of it.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5533 on: December 17, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »

congrats josh! plus, that shot is fucking amazing.

i have the same problem with street photography as you, fong. i hardly ever get shots where people actually look at me or something, i always feel so weird about that. its slowly getting better since i am shooting lots of events lately, but it takes time.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:53:28 AM by Hercules Rockefeller »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5534 on: December 17, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »
im in the same boat with the street photography thing. i felt like i blew a really sick opportunity last week. i had to go to this concert venue to pick up my cell phone that i lost their the week before. i got there around 4pm and there were a ton of juggalos line up outside for a show, painting each others faces and slamming faygo. they were going crazy and the doors werent going to open for a few more hours. i was walking by thinking that this whole moment would be great to photograph, but i didnt have the balls to go up to anyone and ask if i could take their photo.

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5535 on: December 17, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »
I just started freelancing for a newspaper so here are some of the first photos I took for them at a Baltimore march:

Congrats !

Fong, how was the 43 show ? This mag has the best photos along with Dank.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5536 on: December 17, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Congrats !

Fong, how was the 43 show ? This mag has the best photos along with Dank.

It was mellow but I got there at the opening. It's really just all the photos in the mag but printed on nice paper and blown up. Really sick stuff and would have loved to buy one but it's just out of my price range now ($350-400). But the mag is just as good to have as an art piece. Some local rippers there from Ben Gore to Jebari. I appreciate the work that Allen has done with his mag but just was there for like 30 minutes and cut out. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5537 on: December 17, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »
Thanks so much everybody! And thanks so much, Stefan. That was a photo where I took it, checked my screen, and knew I had a good one. Such a good feeling.

I'm really stoked on the freelancing gig. It's a very laid back paper in Baltimore and they have a lot of "weirder" stories so I'm really looking forward to that kind of stuff.

As far as the rally photos and street photography, I really think events like these are perfect opportunities to learn how to get over the awkwardness that street photography can bring. I'm a very shy person when I'm working my way up to photograph someone, but when I'm shooting photos at an event where there's an expectation of getting your photo taken, it's so much easier. People understood that the media is their ally in these marches so they let their guard down. I've been at all of the recent major marches in Baltimore so far and people are starting to recognize me as someone who's there just to get their message out in photos and I'm becoming more relaxed when photographing.

Just take these opportunities to take photos where photography is expected and it'll get much easier, I swear. Bringing it to the street, without an event, can definitely be much harder. Approaching someone for no particular reason other than to capture their image can make a lot of people uneasy. It's all about making your intentions known (if it's a portrait). If it's just a candid street shot, I'll usually just give a little nod as a thank you or a respect thing or whatever. It usually works, but in the cases it doesn't and people get upset, fuck em. It happens and it's part of it so don't let it get ya down.

JB, the Juggalos thing sounds awesome to me haha. I've actually thought about even going to the Gathering because I think the photos would be incredible and I honestly think most Juggalos would be down with it. Each time it enters my mind, I always remind myself that I'd probably kill myself within the first hour there.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #5538 on: December 18, 2014, 12:59:43 AM »
what a good advice!

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5539 on: December 18, 2014, 01:38:14 AM »

Some black and white photo's from Maui
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:43:15 AM by Councilman Doug »

okdad

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5540 on: December 18, 2014, 05:55:24 AM »
YES, DOUG. So sick. Damn, I need to start shooting again.
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

Jares

« Reply #5541 on: December 19, 2014, 01:51:46 AM »

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #5542 on: December 19, 2014, 07:30:07 AM »
if this thread has taught me just one thing, it is that bridges are fucking rad

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5543 on: December 19, 2014, 01:20:51 PM »
our office just bought a nikon d5200 and i took it out today for a test run. i did normal edits on some of the building shots i took so that i could show my boss, but these were a few of shots i took and edited just for fun. not a camera id ever buy, but not bad to have around the office.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5544 on: December 20, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
China Banks

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5545 on: December 20, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »
Sick view of the China Banks. It makes me feel like Joe Valdez.

Some prints I've made these past few days. I forgot to dust the darkroom scanner before I used and it took me a godawful time to digitally dust it back home. Lots of hair still...

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #5546 on: December 21, 2014, 10:34:57 AM »

edit; and a last one from the roll:)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:38:41 AM by Matze »

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #5547 on: December 22, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »
Yup. Confirmed. The next camera I buy is going to be an xpan. Can't get enough of those shots, Matze.

In light of all the protest shots in here (CRD, Fongstarr.: both of your stuff has been fuckin' killer), I thought I'd post this short video I shot at a protest here in Birmingham, AL, last week. I only took a few hours putting it together and everything was shot within about an hour, but I think it turned out alright (aside from the interview audio and natsound, which are kinda rough in spots -- the downfalls of running and gunning by yourself). Anyway, here it is.

BlackLivesMatter (12/19/14) -- Birmingham, AL

And here are a couple snaps, too.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:09:33 AM by DMH »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5548 on: December 22, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
So incredible, DMH. I really liked that. I really need to start shooting video. It's part of the reason I got my 5D Mark III, but haven't done any video yet.

Got to walk the halls of The Baltimore Sun for the first time tonight because I shot some photos for a small local newspaper they own. It was incredibly cool to be walking past all of these amazing photos on the walls from the past 3-4 decades. Really nerdy, but it gave me chills.

Last week, I shot some photos for the paper of a block in Baltimore that's famous for putting up these over-the-top Christmas lights and decorations. Here are some of the portraits:

Jares

« Reply #5549 on: December 23, 2014, 05:48:57 AM »
Brilliant.

In light of all the protest shots in here (CRD, Fongstarr.: both of your stuff has been fuckin' killer), I thought I'd post this short video I shot at a protest here in Birmingham, AL, last week. I only took a few hours putting it together and everything was shot within about an hour, but I think it turned out alright (aside from the interview audio and natsound, which are kinda rough in spots -- the downfalls of running and gunning by yourself). Anyway, here it is.

BlackLivesMatter (12/19/14) -- Birmingham, AL

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:52:28 AM by MODERNUS »