Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 462163 times)

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #5580 on: December 31, 2014, 01:01:38 AM »
damn, sick trick and photo

truthislie

• Rep: 13
« Reply #5581 on: December 31, 2014, 04:36:57 AM »
Thanks a lot guys!
I hardly post in this thread, but I lurk it a lot and just want to say that I enjoy the pictures of every poster in here and it has inspired me a lot both in digital and analog photography. Thank you for that and keep your pictures coming!
thecandidness.tumblr.com

Molte

• Rep: 51
« Reply #5582 on: January 01, 2015, 09:38:59 AM »
http://kmoltesen.wordpress.com/

here's a link. this is where I post some of my photos..

hope you'll enjoy.. :)
SHIT!

• Rep: 22
    • Vu Skate Shop
« Reply #5583 on: January 02, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:54:12 AM by 410 »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #5584 on: January 02, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »
^^^Damn! Sick shot. What lens? A 16mm or so? You usually don't see a lot of ultra wide lens shots with skateboard photos. Usually it's long or fisheye.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -19
« Reply #5585 on: January 02, 2015, 10:13:02 AM »
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #5586 on: January 02, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »

that china banks photo is so sick, Fong! yours too, Reini!
instagram.com/used_shoe/

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5587 on: January 02, 2015, 01:25:37 PM »
Awesome work, guys!

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Jares

« Reply #5588 on: January 02, 2015, 03:59:47 PM »
Awesome work, guys!

Dude, Cadillac and 410, you're kill'n the game with these pics man.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:01:58 PM by MODERNUS »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5589 on: January 02, 2015, 10:09:41 PM »
Thanks dude!
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Molte

• Rep: 51
« Reply #5590 on: January 03, 2015, 03:57:54 AM »

I don't know if that could be a school or a hospital, but that photo with that kid is just straight up breath taking..

thanks
SHIT!

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 38
« Reply #5591 on: January 04, 2015, 07:55:08 PM »
Thanks a lot ! It's an outreach center for refugees, quite similar to a school in fact.

MFLUDER

« Reply #5592 on: January 07, 2015, 12:59:29 AM »
Thanks dude!

What do you use? I really like them.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5593 on: January 07, 2015, 01:25:48 PM »
Thanks dude!

What do you use? I really like them.
Thanks! I shot them using a Yashica Mat 124G. The first one was shot on Kodak Ektar and the second two are both Kodak Portra 160.

MFLUDER

« Reply #5594 on: January 07, 2015, 11:06:36 PM »
Serious gear. Whats the story with the dude from the first one? I get a small town hopeless feeling from the photo, it bums me out a little but in a good way.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5595 on: January 08, 2015, 09:37:44 AM »
Serious gear. Whats the story with the dude from the first one? I get a small town hopeless feeling from the photo, it bums me out a little but in a good way.
I try and go out and shoot in the fog whenever I can, especially since we don't get daytime fog around these parts that often. This was in an area between Baltimore and the suburbs, where there's a lot of old businesses still kicking. I drove by this old burger joint, with the "Hamburgers" sign lit up, and thought it looked cool with the Christmas trees for sale in front. I took a few shots and started heading back to my car and heard someone calling for me. Turned around and it was that dude asking me why I was taking pictures of the trees. He wasn't angry or anything, just curious. I told him the fog, the sign, and the trees just came together real nice for a good photo and he understood. I asked him if I could get a quick shot of him and he was cool with it. I forget his name, but he told me he came up from Tennessee to sell trees. Not much of a talker.

Definitely one of my favorite portraits I've taken and I'd love to do more foggy portraits to go along with my landscapes in my Fogged Up series.

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5596 on: January 08, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
Yes that's a very nice portrait !  It's even better that you took it with ektar, the supposedly  not-for-portraits-of-white-people film. Portra might be better for portraits overall but I always found it stupid to be rigid about such things.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5597 on: January 08, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
Yes that's a very nice portrait !  It's even better that you took it with ektar, the supposedly  not-for-portraits-of-white-people film. Portra might be better for portraits overall but I always found it stupid to be rigid about such things.
Thank you!

Haha I think I like that name a bit more than Ektar. They should slap that on the box! But I've heard from a lot of people they don't like using Ektar for daytime shooting. It's been my go-to film for about 3 years now, for both day and night work, and I've been happy with it for the most part. I have been really slow to jump on the Portra bandwagon, but I really enjoy it a lot as well.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #5598 on: January 11, 2015, 03:52:39 PM »
Just upgraded my body and got a new lens and tested it out at some waterfalls yesterday. Super stoked on the difference in quality I can see.

Irvine-Sucks.com

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #5599 on: January 11, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »
Just started doing my own scans. Really excited about how they're turning out.

Confidently marching in the wrong direction.

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5600 on: January 12, 2015, 07:12:22 AM »
great shots! what scanner are you using and how much did you pay?

ive been wanting to get one, but i havent been able to afford anything like that in a while. probably wont even be able to afford to get any film developed for a few months either, but ive learned to be patient with this kind of stuff.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5601 on: January 12, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »
great shots! what scanner are you using and how much did you pay?

ive been wanting to get one, but i havent been able to afford anything like that in a while. probably wont even be able to afford to get any film developed for a few months either, but ive learned to be patient with this kind of stuff.

Yeah, I kind of put myself in a hole getting a bunch of stuff developed last week. That's the price of a good time.

The scanner doesn't actually belong to me. A friend was good enough to let me work using his, and it's a nice one. Epson v700. Looks like the cheapest you could hope to find one would be around $600, and as high as $800+. Feeling really lucky that I could put some of my junk in a machine like that.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5602 on: January 12, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »
I really like those, DMH!

Certain scanners are getting harder to come by since they're not really making that many anymore. Prices are going up. If you want one, you should snag them before the prices get too ridiculous. I have a V500 that's still kickin, but I'm even thinking of getting backup just in case.

Some recent stuff:

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5603 on: January 12, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
i just did some looking online and found some really good deals on refurbished epsons if anyone else is interested. V500 for $200. V370 for $90.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-13268

DMH

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5604 on: January 12, 2015, 01:12:35 PM »
i just did some looking online and found some really good deals on refurbished epsons if anyone else is interested. V500 for $200. V370 for $90.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-13268

Oh, damn! That V370 is tempting as hell. Has anyone in here used one before? I was looking through the reviews on that site, but I didn't get the vibe that people on there were too concerned with scanning film negatives.

And, as always, killer stuff, Cadillac. How's the photojournalism gig going?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:18:23 PM by DMH »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5605 on: January 12, 2015, 01:42:40 PM »

Oh, damn! That V370 is tempting as hell. Has anyone in here used one before? I was looking through the reviews on that site, but I didn't get the vibe that people on there were too concerned with scanning film negatives.

Thanks dude. It's been going alright, but kinda slow so far since the holidays. I'm gonna start working on a few longer-ish term project for them soon, hopefully.

A friend of mine is the director of a nonprofit that helps people with disabilities create and sell their own artwork so I was thinking of doing a project on the some of the artists and staff.

There's also been a lot of talk about bicycle safety in Baltimore since a bishop, who was three times the legal limit, stuck and killed a bicyclist. I have a few friends who have been running a workshop for inner city kids to learn how to make, fix, and maintain bikes so I was thinking of doing stuff with that.

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5606 on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »

Thanks dude. It's been going alright, but kinda slow so far since the holidays. I'm gonna start working on a few longer-ish term project for them soon, hopefully.

A friend of mine is the director of a nonprofit that helps people with disabilities create and sell their own artwork so I was thinking of doing a project on the some of the artists and staff.

There's also been a lot of talk about bicycle safety in Baltimore since a bishop, who was three times the legal limit, stuck and killed a bicyclist. I have a few friends who have been running a workshop for inner city kids to learn how to make, fix, and maintain bikes so I was thinking of doing stuff with that.
Funny you might do the bike thing, I'm currently working with a few homeless and "housing-first" centers in Rochester and I'm going to go to a community bike shop Wednesday where some of them live/work.

As far as scanners are concerned I know Epson released two new high-end models for Photokina but you have to be willing to spend $800+

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5607 on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
Funny you might do the bike thing, I'm currently working with a few homeless and "housing-first" centers in Rochester and I'm going to go to a community bike shop Wednesday where some of them live/work. 
I think it's awesome that bike shops are helping people get on their feet, allowing them some stability by working on bicycles. I have a lot of respect for what these guys in Baltimore are doing because they're seeing first-hand how teaching a kid a skill and giving them responsibilities can provide them so much. I shot some photos of them this past summer at one of their after-school workshops and just talking to the kids and seeing their excitement proves that it's making a difference.

Here's some of those photos:

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5608 on: January 12, 2015, 05:09:52 PM »
These are great. Good material for a strong series.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #5609 on: January 13, 2015, 03:17:10 AM »
Anyone remember this shot of mine:

The rider entered the photo in an Instagram photo contest and got picked for the top three places. Then there was the usual begging for likes and he won by a landslide.

The prize was a sculpture of the picture by Ali Jusovic "The World's Weirdest Skateboarder" - looks like he decided to make sculptures for all three: