Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 714908 times)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #5580 on: January 12, 2015, 07:12:22 AM »
great shots! what scanner are you using and how much did you pay?

ive been wanting to get one, but i havent been able to afford anything like that in a while. probably wont even be able to afford to get any film developed for a few months either, but ive learned to be patient with this kind of stuff.

DMH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #5581 on: January 12, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »
great shots! what scanner are you using and how much did you pay?

ive been wanting to get one, but i havent been able to afford anything like that in a while. probably wont even be able to afford to get any film developed for a few months either, but ive learned to be patient with this kind of stuff.

Yeah, I kind of put myself in a hole getting a bunch of stuff developed last week. That's the price of a good time.

The scanner doesn't actually belong to me. A friend was good enough to let me work using his, and it's a nice one. Epson v700. Looks like the cheapest you could hope to find one would be around $600, and as high as $800+. Feeling really lucky that I could put some of my junk in a machine like that.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #5582 on: January 12, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »
I really like those, DMH!

Certain scanners are getting harder to come by since they're not really making that many anymore. Prices are going up. If you want one, you should snag them before the prices get too ridiculous. I have a V500 that's still kickin, but I'm even thinking of getting backup just in case.

Some recent stuff:

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5583 on: January 12, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
i just did some looking online and found some really good deals on refurbished epsons if anyone else is interested. V500 for $200. V370 for $90.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-13268

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #5584 on: January 12, 2015, 01:12:35 PM »
i just did some looking online and found some really good deals on refurbished epsons if anyone else is interested. V500 for $200. V370 for $90.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-13268

Oh, damn! That V370 is tempting as hell. Has anyone in here used one before? I was looking through the reviews on that site, but I didn't get the vibe that people on there were too concerned with scanning film negatives.

And, as always, killer stuff, Cadillac. How's the photojournalism gig going?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:18:23 PM by DMH »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5585 on: January 12, 2015, 01:42:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh, damn! That V370 is tempting as hell. Has anyone in here used one before? I was looking through the reviews on that site, but I didn't get the vibe that people on there were too concerned with scanning film negatives.

Thanks dude. It's been going alright, but kinda slow so far since the holidays. I'm gonna start working on a few longer-ish term project for them soon, hopefully.

A friend of mine is the director of a nonprofit that helps people with disabilities create and sell their own artwork so I was thinking of doing a project on the some of the artists and staff.

There's also been a lot of talk about bicycle safety in Baltimore since a bishop, who was three times the legal limit, stuck and killed a bicyclist. I have a few friends who have been running a workshop for inner city kids to learn how to make, fix, and maintain bikes so I was thinking of doing stuff with that.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5586 on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Thanks dude. It's been going alright, but kinda slow so far since the holidays. I'm gonna start working on a few longer-ish term project for them soon, hopefully.

A friend of mine is the director of a nonprofit that helps people with disabilities create and sell their own artwork so I was thinking of doing a project on the some of the artists and staff.

There's also been a lot of talk about bicycle safety in Baltimore since a bishop, who was three times the legal limit, stuck and killed a bicyclist. I have a few friends who have been running a workshop for inner city kids to learn how to make, fix, and maintain bikes so I was thinking of doing stuff with that.
Funny you might do the bike thing, I'm currently working with a few homeless and "housing-first" centers in Rochester and I'm going to go to a community bike shop Wednesday where some of them live/work.

As far as scanners are concerned I know Epson released two new high-end models for Photokina but you have to be willing to spend $800+

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5587 on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
Funny you might do the bike thing, I'm currently working with a few homeless and "housing-first" centers in Rochester and I'm going to go to a community bike shop Wednesday where some of them live/work. 
I think it's awesome that bike shops are helping people get on their feet, allowing them some stability by working on bicycles. I have a lot of respect for what these guys in Baltimore are doing because they're seeing first-hand how teaching a kid a skill and giving them responsibilities can provide them so much. I shot some photos of them this past summer at one of their after-school workshops and just talking to the kids and seeing their excitement proves that it's making a difference.

Here's some of those photos:

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5588 on: January 12, 2015, 05:09:52 PM »
These are great. Good material for a strong series.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5589 on: January 13, 2015, 03:17:10 AM »
Anyone remember this shot of mine:

The rider entered the photo in an Instagram photo contest and got picked for the top three places. Then there was the usual begging for likes and he won by a landslide.

The prize was a sculpture of the picture by Ali Jusovic "The World's Weirdest Skateboarder" - looks like he decided to make sculptures for all three:

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #5590 on: January 13, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #5591 on: January 13, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
That's dope kornholio! I'd be stoked to have something like that made after a photo I took.

Here are a couple from a rainy day:

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #5592 on: January 13, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »
and I got lucky with buying posters recently:

a vivian maier from the hasselblad center (50x70 cm) and this giant (175x118 cm) meyerowitz at the 100 year of leica exhibit. looking forward to find a frame for the leicowitz. and I'm very sorry crd, totally forgot about you when I bought the maier.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:27:15 AM by Matze »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5593 on: January 13, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
That's awesome, Kornholio! Your's is definitely the best looking sculpture!

and I'm very sorry crd, totally forgot about you when I bought the maier.
Yeah what the fuck?! Where's mine??  ;)

That's awesome though! I need to get out more and see some good photo exhibits soon. Also, those shots are amazing, Matze. Killin' it as usual.

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5594 on: January 14, 2015, 07:56:36 AM »
Love the X-pan shots, as always.

two from new zealand I unearthed :

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:00:27 AM by tumulishoomaroom »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5595 on: January 14, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »
I finished up my first photo zine not too long ago. Its 24 pages + cover, 5.5x8.5", full bleed, laser printed, hand cut and stapled, all that great stuff. Edition of 10. If anyone is interested in one, I'd be down to trade for zines, prints, drawings, or anything else you guys make. I have a few left, so if you're interested pm me your address and I'll drop one in the mail for you.

Flume

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #5596 on: January 15, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
^ looks good!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #5597 on: January 15, 2015, 04:57:52 PM »
Zine looks super clean and vibrant! How'd you get it made?
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5598 on: January 15, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »
We have a nice xerox at work. I stayed after a few days and did it all myself. Nobody really says anything if you do personal projects, but I wanted to keep the edition low so that I didn't use up too much paper and toner.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #5599 on: January 15, 2015, 08:34:37 PM »
Anyone remember this shot of mine:

The rider entered the photo in an Instagram photo contest and got picked for the top three places. Then there was the usual begging for likes and he won by a landslide.

The prize was a sculpture of the picture by Ali Jusovic "The World's Weirdest Skateboarder" - looks like he decided to make sculptures for all three:

Fuck yeah Almir is one of my favorite skaters so stoked that someone on here's work was able to cause him to do a sick ass piece of art. That hippie jump is gnar, great photo!

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5600 on: January 17, 2015, 06:34:54 AM »

Evil Kraken from the Arctic Sea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Hi SlapPal!
« Reply #5601 on: January 18, 2015, 05:00:26 AM »
I'll go frontside on some tranny for you.

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5602 on: January 18, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #5603 on: January 18, 2015, 02:38:07 PM »
Apart from skateboarding, I shoot only casual moments in my life - I never go out with the intention of shooting a photo, I'm just ever ready.

This Saturday, my GF and I and her dog went on a walk in a nearby city/village with an abandoned castle that also makes for a nice hike (which we were after). We didn't know what to expect at the castle (locals have probably taken a photo of every inch of that place and could care less) and we were pleasantly surprised at how photogenic the place is (we'll be back for a shooting for sure).

And the level of ruin is perfect (hehe, is there such a thing) - not dangerous, but still very interesting.

I had the misfortune of using only JPEG and not JPEG+RAW - you'll see I could have used the extra dynamic range when processing the photos.

Casual Triptych
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jurij-turnsek/sets/72157650354512521/

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #5604 on: January 18, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Randozzi

« Reply #5605 on: January 18, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »
A couple newer prints.

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5606 on: January 19, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »
A couple newer prints.

Love this one.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5607 on: January 19, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
always stoked on new matze and randozzi stuff! your lil mag looks great too, JB!
where is that castle, kornholio? congrats on winning!

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #5609 on: January 19, 2015, 02:24:18 PM »