Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 714958 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #6570 on: January 08, 2018, 12:23:46 AM »
Pretty happy with how this one turned out:

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #6571 on: January 08, 2018, 07:08:48 AM »
Hi everybody! I've been lurking this thread for a while and love the pictures you all are posting! Here are some of the film shots I was kind of liking that I got back over the past year. I'm shooting with a leica m6. Here's my flickr link if any of you are interested in seeing more, the quality will probably be better on there https://www.flickr.com/photos/131425093@N04/
edit: sorry for the shit quality the original files were too big

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #6572 on: January 08, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
Pretty happy with how this one turned out:

That's awesome,reminds me of one of my favorites I took

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6573 on: January 09, 2018, 04:40:02 PM »
Anybody using midi controllers to do photo editing in here? I'm getting my feet wet with a midi controller and adobe lightroom and just wanted to see if anyone here had any helpful tips.

If anyone is curious as to how to make this happen, this is what I'm using:

Adobe Lightroom 6

MIDI2LR - https://rsjaffe.github.io/MIDI2LR/

Behringer X Touch Mini - https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-X-TOUCH-MINI-BEHRINGER/dp/B013JLZCLS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515545252&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=behringer+mixer+x+touch+mini
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:48:33 PM by layzieyez »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #6574 on: January 11, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »
Hi everybody! I've been lurking this thread for a while and love the pictures you all are posting! Here are some of the film shots I was kind of liking that I got back over the past year. I'm shooting with a leica m6. Here's my flickr link if any of you are interested in seeing more, the quality will probably be better on there https://www.flickr.com/photos/131425093@N04/
edit: sorry for the shit quality the original files were too big

These are awesome, thanks for posting them!

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #6575 on: January 16, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Has anyone here ever used their photos to create a zine or had friends that did? I've been really wanting to make one soon cause I have tons of photos I haven't used and probably wouldn't but I think a lot of them would be perfect for a zine since a lot of them are of my friends. I downloaded Adobe's InDesign free trial cause someone told me they've used that to actually physically make them but I'm not trying to buy the program lol I just need to figure out how to actually physically make a zine

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6576 on: January 16, 2018, 03:12:56 PM »
Finally revamped my blog site to a Squarespace. Had a Wordpress blog for ages but for some reason, it wasn't allowing me to post PNG photos. Only thing I don't like is Squarespace optimizes your photos which sort of downgrades them a bit, especially in blacks and gradient colors.

https://www.fongstarr.com

Some stuff from Portland from New Years and Canada from months back:

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6577 on: January 16, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
Has anyone here ever used their photos to create a zine or had friends that did? I've been really wanting to make one soon cause I have tons of photos I haven't used and probably wouldn't but I think a lot of them would be perfect for a zine since a lot of them are of my friends. I downloaded Adobe's InDesign free trial cause someone told me they've used that to actually physically make them but I'm not trying to buy the program lol I just need to figure out how to actually physically make a zine
I have years ago,just mocked up some stuff on Corel illustrator to lay it all out,then printed it out to have a "master",then made a dozen or so copies. Office stores have those extended staplers. Thats sort of the easy way other than xeroxing stuff,especially if you have a hard drive full of scans (like I did).

Fong your pics always amaze me man! Ever use blogger from google?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6578 on: January 16, 2018, 04:51:18 PM »
^^^Thanks man. I haven't tried blogger but I already committed to a year of Squarespace. I'll see how it is and if not, go back to a free provider. For the most part, I like Squarespace minus the cost.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

yatallfreak

« Reply #6579 on: January 16, 2018, 06:04:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have years ago,just mocked up some stuff on Corel illustrator to lay it all out,then printed it out to have a "master",then made a dozen or so copies. Office stores have those extended staplers. Thats sort of the easy way other than xeroxing stuff,especially if you have a hard drive full of scans (like I did).

And thanks from me too man

Completely didn't even think about printing a master copy then making copies haha What type of paper did you use for it? The ones I've seen before have been on thicker almost glossy paper close to like a legit photo booklet. The other day I got this skate vid and it actually had a photo booklet in it and that got me thinking that I would love to be able to make something of that quality.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6580 on: January 16, 2018, 06:48:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Completely didn't even think about printing a master copy then making copies haha What type of paper did you use for it? The ones I've seen before have been on thicker almost glossy paper close to like a legit photo booklet. The other day I got this skate vid and it actually had a photo booklet in it and that got me thinking that I would love to be able to make something of that quality.
It wasn't cardstock but close to it,just thick business paper, but the copies were just whatever I had lying around. There's printmakers that'll do a run of 100 on clean semi gloss for a decent price if you shop around. I've been wanting to another just for having something tangible,but haven't been shooting much

yatallfreak

« Reply #6581 on: January 16, 2018, 07:33:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
It wasn't cardstock but close to it,just thick business paper, but the copies were just whatever I had lying around. There's printmakers that'll do a run of 100 on clean semi gloss for a decent price if you shop around. I've been wanting to another just for having something tangible,but haven't been shooting much
Thanks man that's definitely gonna help me get off the ground and actually know how to start it. I'll have to shop around and find someone that can make a run of them for me that'd be sick. And you definitely should man! Shooting photos and skating are both the fucking best

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6582 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Thanks man that's definitely gonna help me get off the ground and actually know how to start it. I'll have to shop around and find someone that can make a run of them for me that'd be sick. And you definitely should man! Shooting photos and skating are both the fucking best
No problem man! I'll get off my ass and make one soon haha you'll definitely get a copy.

yatallfreak

« Reply #6583 on: January 16, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
No problem man! I'll get off my ass and make one soon haha you'll definitely get a copy.
haha appreciate it g, same goes for you

seb

• Rep: 43
« Reply #6584 on: January 20, 2018, 02:37:43 PM »
Got myself a Olympus Pen FT halfframe camera for christmas and just had my first roll developed. Really stoked on how some of the shots turned out and absolutely love this camera already:

http://www.instagram.com/p/BeJcd9_HKXx/?taken-by=sebibinder
http://www.instagram.com/p/BeKsEjEHmhI/?taken-by=sebibinder
http://www.instagram.com/p/BeImDtIHEDG/?taken-by=sebibinder
http://www.instagram.com/p/BeI31c6HGYP/?taken-by=sebibinder

(sorry about the instagram links)

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6585 on: January 20, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »
Those are awesome! Been looking to get one of those half frame Pens,most of the ones I find are broken.

Randozzi

« Reply #6586 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »
Great shots!
The PEN FT is a wonderful camera, there are a bunch of lenses available, you can find some via eBay. The only downfall is that the film advancing gears are plastic (I think) and wear out after a while. Had one fixed for $225 and it lasted about 60 rolls before it wouldn't advance the film again.

You know it's going bad when your negatives look something like these.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6587 on: January 21, 2018, 11:07:49 AM »
Great shots!
The PEN FT is a wonderful camera, there are a bunch of lenses available, you can find some via eBay. The only downfall is that the film advancing gears are plastic (I think) and wear out after a while. Had one fixed for $225 and it lasted about 60 rolls before it wouldn't advance the film again.

You know it's going bad when your negatives look something like these.

Damn,good to know the price on a fix. Multi X happy accident right there!

seb

• Rep: 43
« Reply #6588 on: January 21, 2018, 01:40:26 PM »
Thanks guys!
So far I absolutely love this camera. I've always preferred portrait orientation and the 3:4 image ratio doesn't bother me at all (was afraid it might).
The only gripe I have is the light meter not working right with regular 1.5V batteries. On the other hand using the sunny 16 method has worked surprisingly well and a light meter app on my phone helps too. But just to speed things up and to feel more confident the built in light meter would be a nice thing to have.
I'm on a roll of color negatives now, so we'll see how it works. Maybe I'l just stick to black and white?

I got mine with the 38mm/1.8 and a three month warranty at a camera store for 320 euros. And they have some more bodies for less than 200 euros, so I'm not that concerned about the advancing gears wearing out. But thanks for the heads up!

Here's to more from the first roll:

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6589 on: January 23, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »

I had a zine for a couple issues. I worked in the bicycle/skate industries over the years so I have access to some cool shit. I shot with Mike V, the Element team, Real team, and Toy Machine amongst others so we had some pretty sweet content. I miss it actually and am wanting to get back into photography.

Currently researching cameras.

Suggestions? Digital is where I'm looking....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:24:59 AM by B. Hopper »
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6590 on: January 23, 2018, 11:01:22 AM »
Thanks guys!
So far I absolutely love this camera. I've always preferred portrait orientation and the 3:4 image ratio doesn't bother me at all (was afraid it might).
The only gripe I have is the light meter not working right with regular 1.5V batteries. On the other hand using the sunny 16 method has worked surprisingly well and a light meter app on my phone helps too. But just to speed things up and to feel more confident the built in light meter would be a nice thing to have.
I'm on a roll of color negatives now, so we'll see how it works. Maybe I'l just stick to black and white?

I got mine with the 38mm/1.8 and a three month warranty at a camera store for 320 euros. And they have some more bodies for less than 200 euros, so I'm not that concerned about the advancing gears wearing out. But thanks for the heads up!

Here's to more from the first roll:

I love your style.
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6591 on: January 23, 2018, 11:43:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a zine for a couple issues. I worked in the bicycle/skate industries over the years so I have access to some cool shit. I shot with Mike V, the Element team, Real team, and Toy Machine amongst others so we had some pretty sweet content. I miss it actually and am wanting to get back into photography.

Currently researching cameras.

Suggestions? Digital is where I'm looking....
I'm selling a nikon d7100 if you're interested. just message me.

ralf_

• Rep: -32
  • yo
« Reply #6592 on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »
started the game with a canon at-1 a few months ago.
pretty stoked on how far i already made it yet

fun fun fun

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #6593 on: February 01, 2018, 10:44:16 PM »
^ sick

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:53:23 PM by Andrew »
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #6594 on: February 02, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »
My friend runs a photo website where they drop a month's worth of photos at a time and he asked me to do a guest feature. Here's mine, which is mostly all from January. They were shot over three different cameras all on expired Portra 400 film.

https://thedusroom.com/february18hao

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6595 on: February 05, 2018, 06:34:28 PM »
anybody have a yahsica t4 or contax t2 for sale? no zoom's
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bey6anpDw5u/
These guys usually have some deals

poophole

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6596 on: February 06, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »
Been working on a big project on a bonfire rivalry in my dad's hometown.

**ADMIN: REMOVED IMG HOSTED ON MALWARE SITE

coming out as a book later this year :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:14:42 PM by poophole »

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6597 on: February 07, 2018, 10:23:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you can get a 8x10 page full color gloss zine printed with like 30 pages for around 6-7 bucks a piece at a local shop. its worth it to print on nice paper if youre trying to show off the photos. i use indesign for mine, only tricky part was learning about crop marks and bleeds for printing.

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #6598 on: February 09, 2018, 01:03:21 PM »
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6599 on: February 13, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
I put together a site !

https://www.andrewkodama.com/
https://www.andrewkodama.com/

just some helpful suggestions, your photos are cool and have a good look to them. the load time on the pages isnt great, and the photos are laid out differently gallery to gallery. on your about me section the instagram link sends you to flickr. and from the view of a potential employer, other than fine art, what could your photos do for a company? i only say that because if you werent trying to get the attention of a potential employer then why have a website? but for real i really do like your photos man, curious to see what youve shot in the last couple years!