Author Topic: la gran manzana  (Read 879 times)

sergioflorez

la gran manzana
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »
i still have fond memories of walking around the lower east side with relatives during my elementary school years. eating bandeja paisas at pollos a la brasa mario on the roosevelt in queens every month. going to the colombian independence day event in flushing. then came a trip to the intrepid museum back in 5th grade. nick, my best friend at the time took me took to this beast of a ship. my love for all things military was etched in stone from that moment on (then i hit puberty and all that disappeared). after the museum, we visited some family of his in lower manhattan. rusty heater, chipped ceiling, your typical low income new york flat. ate canolis along the way. made a pit stop at his uncle's place. his uncle's place was literally a house inside a skyscraper. the guy was smoking pot without a care for the world. his wife showed us her civil war cannon turned into a umbrella holder. finally, we ended the night with burmese food. only in new york do you get an early bird special at 7 pm. middle school came and i was really into punk music. i would make my parents drive me all the way to the bowery just so i could pass by cbgbs. i did not set foot in the place until before it closed down for good. that feeling of exhilaration i once had in these very neighborhoods are now memories. everything from those big skyscrapers, bridges, museums to decrepit apartment buildings, bums, and traffic. relics of yesteryear disappearing all the time. i don't mean to be nostalgic, but...

these help me indulge over things i have never experienced in the big apple.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P4TbrgIdm0E
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S8Y3Tak0WSk

movies for days. too many to list.
the met. best place
the cro-mags
keith haring
early disco. pre 54, commercialized basura, etc
dave mancuso and the loft
nicky siano and the gallery
larry levan and the paradise garage

share your experiences and other bullshit. as a non-new yoker