Author Topic: general election thread.  (Read 11204 times)

Dr Newton

Re: general election thread.
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Click on that webpage link. Read what they say about race riots. A lot worse in the south.
And yes, I believe if institutionalized racially motivated mob murder is a lot more common in one region than the other, that the region which has more murders like this is more racist.
Don't get me wrong. Appalachia takes the crown for modern day most racist region.
And don't listen to Kilgore, he just chimes in to rip on me every chance he gets
[close]

Nice link to an "unbiased" elite Northeastern school. It would make sense for Northern industrialists to avoid killing the people they were still enslaving economically at this time in the same way that it would make sense for a plantation owner to avoid killing his slaves. Blacks came in handy to the industrialists, especially during times of labor shortage, and so they were good to keep around. That doesn't change the fact that they were beaten, restricted from any kind of upward mobility, and refused pretty much all civil rights. The Northerners still regarded them as very inferior because of there race. Your favorite historian, Howard Zinn, talks all about this in a book I have entitled "Voices of a People's History of the United States," which was co written by Anthony Arnove.

Here is a very nice excerpt from page 390:

Quote from: Howard Zinn
Expand Quote
The roots of the civil rights movement can be traced to the repression under the "Jim Crow" system in the South and the experiences of blacks in the North, where millions of blacks had come hoping to escape racism. Blacks who migrated North often came with expectations that they could find better living and working conditions. Instead, they found unemployment, dangerous and underpaid work, continued segregation, and persistent discrimination, police brutality. Here, the novelist Richard Wright, who himself Migrated from Mississippi to Chicago in 1927, describes the crisis blacks confronted when they arrived in cities in the North.
[close]

Your definition of racism seems to be restricted to racially-motivated murder. Under this view, I can beat a black man to the point of unconsciousness, socially isolate him and his family, divide them all up, chop all of his arms off, and call him "nigger," and to you, this would not be racist because I did not get a bunch of my dumb little buddies together and kill him. I am talking about racism in a much broader sense.

Now, here is the dictionary.com definition of racism:

Quote from: dictionary.com
Expand Quote
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
[close]

The North had all of these characteristics, and shared them with the South. The only difference is that North had more of an economic incentive to keep there wage slave class alive. Obviously, they were still just as inherently racist as the South ever was, based on there attitudes toward and treatment of blacks.
[close]
My definition is not limitted to racially motivated murders, all you keep doing is saying "the north was racist too." I KNOW THAT. You keep ignoring that. Zonn's point just reproves the fact that there was racism, not that it was worse. And it wasn't.Find one situation in which racism in the north had more severe consequences than it did in the south. You can't. I started with lynchings as a standard, sure, there is more to racism than lynching, but it proves as a pretty good measuring stick. Then I moved on to race riots. Speaking of which, that "elitest university" is such a bullshit copout. What? A university with high standards and a great reputation should not be trusted for that reason? ridiculous.
So here is more citing of the "red summer" riots:
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=2&res=9C04E7D61F30E033A25756C0A9669D946896D6CF&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
That is a New York times article from the time outlining most of the red summer, out of 34 cities that had racially motivated riots, 21 were from the south. That's 2/3rd's and lets not forget the fact that there was a lot higher of a population, and many more cities in the north.
This is a source from the era, that didn't care whether the north was seen as a racist region or not.
Also, your "wage slaves" metaphor is garbage for 2 reasons:
1) It can by no definition be considered chattel slavery, in which the worker was actually owned and controlled by the slave driver at all points
2) It was a lot less racially motivated- factory owners would exploit anybody, working class people of all races and origins, thus making the whole "wage slave" issue as a measure of racism worthless in comparison to the southern, entirely racially motivated system.

Also, you never answered my question about LBJ and the voting rights act of 1964. When he signed it he said "We just lost the South for a generation." The law was clearly aimed at creating a more racially just society. Why is it that LBJ was right, and how was he able to make such an accurate prediction? And why was this specific to the south? Was it just a coincidence that after the democrats backed the most important civil rights act in the 20th century that nobody from what was once known by dems as "the solid south" would vote for them? Why did an explicitly racist form of the democratic party form in the south after it, and put up a southern segregationist as its presidential candidate? Why was is something that was specific to the south? I mean, if there ever was a referendum on racism, wasn't that it?

You are from the south, so you have been hearing apologist history your whole fucking life. Did they call it the Civil War in your school growing up? Or did they call it "The War for Southern Independence?" Did they gloss over Alexander Stephens "Cornerstone speech" at the beginning of the war? The South has a terrible reputation for facing up to its own history.

Oh, and please don't show me more evidence of racism in the north, I know it existed, but the south consistently has outdone the north. Consistently. Find one thing you can prove statistically was worse in the north racially.

HAHA, your view of North Carolina schools is similar to your entire stereotypical view of the South, so of course you want to make the north's behavior seem less bad. Yes, our schools certainly call it the war for Southern Independence. That is what it was, right?

You're asking me to debate this on your terms, and fall into your petty traps. "TELL ME HOW LBJ WAS CORRECT." "DON'T USE EXAMPLES OF NORTHERN RACISM." "WAGE SLAVERY IS NOT RACIST BECAUSE NOT ONLY BLACKS, BUT IMMIGRANTS WERE EXPLOITED." That is absolutely senseless.

"The Northerners treated EVERYONE like shit; it had nothing to do with race!" The same arguments could be made for the South. Before it got it's slaves from Africa, it used actual Europeans, who were impoverished, making them slaves through a debt system -- so if your argument is that wage slavery was not inherently racist, then neither was slavery itself. Is that really the position you want to take?

Wizard Fuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2008, 10:25:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Eh, a case is just that, a case. It's a representation of a legal situation... how often does what is deemd "legal" represent a living truth? not too often..... but either way, the south is racist as fuck. While the north is still racist, as would be any society original sustained by racial slavery, it's different. People in the south hate "niggers" while in the north "nigger" is just a word. Maybe i'm wrong, i'm just a northern boy, but spending 5 months travelling between small towns as well as cities between NC and GA i saw some backwards ass shit. So for anyone to argue semantics here, i'm just thinking that, although they're quite possibly ignorant of theymselves, they're playing the fool. You all motherfuckers know about moon crickets and shit?
[close]

Wrong. I've been here my whole life and haven't seen ANY racism except for the few fat rednecks working on farms that normally use it as a joke. The word "nigger" here is just a word too, people use it so loosely but with an A on the end instead of ER. Maybe I'm used to the "backwards ass shit", but I doubt it. I've seen the same use of the word in the North as the South.
[close]

Man you live there, so i'm not going to try to argue against what you feel, but i saw some backwards ass shit without a doubt. Things were very separated, black and white. Sit down and drink a beer with those "fat red necks who work on farms" and see where the racist joke lies. Bring a black dude over to drink some beers, or better date a black girl and it'd be a party of shit's and giggles. It's bad news

I'm not trying to say that racism isn't everywhere, it's fucking nasty in the north too, i work in group homes where 90% of the youth are black or spanish... i mean if that doesn't say something about a racist society then i don't know what does. 

I don't really understand what you mean about being separated..... Just because there is a room with all white people in it doesn't mean that blacks aren't allowed. Maybe people don't have interracial friends? Again, nothing to do with racism.

I don't know what you mean about dating a black girl either, my friend did, he's white and nothing was ever said to him. In fact, 2 of my white friends dated a black girl.
The "jokes" that the farmers would say would be something like "Damn, it sure is hot, we need to get some blacks to come pick for us." It's not really funny to me though....

And what does group homes being loaded with minorities have to do with racism? Aren't group homes for families that couldn't afford their children, or kids that get in trouble a lot at school? At least in NC, thats what they are for. That's not slightly racist, it's there fault or there parents fault they are in there.
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »
First, I have made it very clear that I do not stereotype all people of the south in this thread. Do you want me to go that far and prove to you that LBJ was right by linking you to electoral maps of later elections? I can do that, but will you answer as to why LBJ would say that, and how he was right if the South wasn't racist? Just keep avoiding the question and I will corner you.

With slavery and white people you are talking about "indentured servitude," which is not the same as black chattel slavery. Indentured servitude was an OPTIONAL way for white people to pay off their migration to the new world in the 18th century. It was not permanent, and was banned in the 18th century. What makes slavery different than indentured servitude?
1: Black people were kidnapped from their homeland, forced to come over in a dangerous and often deadly journey called "middle passage"
2: Once you were a slave, you were a slave for life
3: Slavery was not ended until a war over it took place
4: most importantly YOU HAD TO BE BLACK TO BE A SLAVE.
So as you see by my 4th point, chattel slavery was ABSOLUTELY RACIALLY MOTIVATED. Northern factory work was not. Your point is just wrong, and is even laughably, willfully ignorant.

You are just sugarcoating a vicious past, but indentured servitude and factory work are nothing compared to the chattel slavery of the south, nothing. So instead of you painting my into some corner I will simply say to you to learn the difference between indentured servitude and slavery, you southern racial apologist.

My point was not to dis-include examples of racism in the north, but if you do, I wanted you to statistically prove it was worse in the north in some way. I KNOW RACISM EXISTED IN THE NORTH. MY POINT WAS THAT DESPITE THIS, THE SOUTH WAS STILL FAR WORSE. Unless you can prove that the north was worse in some way, you really got nothing. I have already given examples of why the south was worse, they had more racially motivated murders, more racially motivated riots, were the longest standouts holding on to segregation, and as a block, voted against the party that ended segregation, and the leader of that party even predicted it. What did the north do that would make it be equally as bad as the south? GIVE ME REAL FACTS. Its not a trap. How is that not legitimate?

Now, I call it "The Civil War," because that is all it was. The South never won their independence.But speaking of which, you know who thought the south was more racist than the north during the Civil War? The Vice-President of the Confederacy. Check out his most famous speech:
 http://www.teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?documentprint=76
Here is an interesting little tidbit from it:
[quote = Alexander Stephens]Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. [/quote]
THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE CONFEDERACY said that
1: He defines slavery as "subordination to the superior race"
2: "the negro is not equal to the white man"
and
3:The government they planned to establish "The first [government] in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth," which of course was the idea of White Supremacy. Notice he said "first" as in, The United States as it existed just wasn't racist enough for people in the confederacy.
Tell me all you want, but prominent Southerners have proudly admitted the racism of their region over and over again in the past. Now that racism isn't en vogue you can't just rewrite history to make it seem like it was just as bad everywhere, and that there was no struggle to maintain a racist society in the south. But there was.

You seem personally offended by this, but I am not saying all southerners are racist, the south just has a history of institutional racism that is undeniable, and clearly worse than the Northern or Western region of the United States. You can keep trying to twist it, and name call all you want, but the facts will remain. I could show you 1000 examples of why the south was worse.
Just give me one example of how the north was bad, make it objective, thats all I have asked. Show instances of more crime in any way towards African-Americans in the north, show more poverty, more unjust imprisonment, just show something that might offset the fact that more race riots and lynchings occurred in the south, and that according to its Vice-President, they attempted to be the first nation in the world that based its government off of the idea of white supremacy.
Don't get mad that I'm framing the debate, just answer to my charges and give me something that isn't laughable, a fallacy, or some little trick aimed at changing the focus of the debate, and you can prove your point. But saying "well this was bad too!" will never prove that it is worse, especially when the other side has conceded that their side had flaws too.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

skatemore,man

« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2008, 04:45:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Eh, a case is just that, a case. It's a representation of a legal situation... how often does what is deemd "legal" represent a living truth? not too often..... but either way, the south is racist as fuck. While the north is still racist, as would be any society original sustained by racial slavery, it's different. People in the south hate "niggers" while in the north "nigger" is just a word. Maybe i'm wrong, i'm just a northern boy, but spending 5 months travelling between small towns as well as cities between NC and GA i saw some backwards ass shit. So for anyone to argue semantics here, i'm just thinking that, although they're quite possibly ignorant of theymselves, they're playing the fool. You all motherfuckers know about moon crickets and shit?
[close]

Wrong. I've been here my whole life and haven't seen ANY racism except for the few fat rednecks working on farms that normally use it as a joke. The word "nigger" here is just a word too, people use it so loosely but with an A on the end instead of ER. Maybe I'm used to the "backwards ass shit", but I doubt it. I've seen the same use of the word in the North as the South.
[close]

Man you live there, so i'm not going to try to argue against what you feel, but i saw some backwards ass shit without a doubt. Things were very separated, black and white. Sit down and drink a beer with those "fat red necks who work on farms" and see where the racist joke lies. Bring a black dude over to drink some beers, or better date a black girl and it'd be a party of shit's and giggles. It's bad news

I'm not trying to say that racism isn't everywhere, it's fucking nasty in the north too, i work in group homes where 90% of the youth are black or spanish... i mean if that doesn't say something about a racist society then i don't know what does. 
[close]

I don't really understand what you mean about being separated..... Just because there is a room with all white people in it doesn't mean that blacks aren't allowed. Maybe people don't have interracial friends? Again, nothing to do with racism.

I don't know what you mean about dating a black girl either, my friend did, he's white and nothing was ever said to him. In fact, 2 of my white friends dated a black girl.
The "jokes" that the farmers would say would be something like "Damn, it sure is hot, we need to get some blacks to come pick for us." It's not really funny to me though....

And what does group homes being loaded with minorities have to do with racism? Aren't group homes for families that couldn't afford their children, or kids that get in trouble a lot at school? At least in NC, thats what they are for. That's not slightly racist, it's there fault or there parents fault they are in there.

You're from Gastonia. I spent a lot of time between Salisbury, Greensboro, Charlotte, and Concord. My first time in the Rowan County Public Library an older white lady called an 11 year old girl a dirty nigger, the little girl cryed and was kicked out of the library. You said that you haven't seen any racism outside of a few non serious jokes, get out more. I'm not knocking on the south man, i had a blast in the south and met some great people, especially in NC. There's just some serious racial disparity that's more open faced than it is elsewhere.

Group home kids generally come from the ghetto. Why the ghetto is the ghetto, well that's a whole new ball game.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:53:58 PM by skatemore,man »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2008, 05:45:09 PM »
Why the ghetto is the ghetto, well that's a whole new ball game.
No doubt... that topic is a thread, if not a forum, all it's own.

Anyway, I'd yield that racism is obviously more concentrated in the south, but it's really localized. Like Jena, Louisiana for example. It was in the news over some things that brought race relations up in the media, but take my word... remove anything you've ever heard about Jena before, it really is a racist fucking dump. But, it's an exception and not a rule. Racism doesn't permeate the people here, but I can easily show it to you in a pretty concentrated form if we drive in a few different directions.

Racism itself is a rotting vestige here... it doesn't cover the state like it once did, but the civil rights movement really wasn't that long ago, and if you consider that a key role in the civil rights movement took place here (the epicenter, Mississippi, being right next door) because of the outright, institutional, and violent racism going on... the south was pretty fucking unique. Just considering that the 60's and 70's were in some of our lifetimes, it only makes sense that some of that regular mentality would still exist. The south is just the last when it comes to catching up to reason.

Having said that, there are racists everywhere, but luckily not everyone's a racist. Here in Louisiana, I'm pretty confident that more people aren't racist than not, but like I said, I can easily drive to some ass backwards little places that are just fucked.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2008, 06:26:33 PM »
In Louisiana people probably should be more racist, if anything.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »
man, this topic is so later'd...

i guarantee you that if you go 100 miles outside of any major metropolitan area, no matter what region, you'll find rednecks spouting racism towards some minority -- as well as homophobia, sexism, you name it.  this whole "north vs south" thing is so 150 years ago...seriously, who cares?

fuckingvegan

« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »

?

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2008, 09:10:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

?

Just kidding.

Speaking of New Orleans, anyone else find this totally cool?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/06/11/fema.giveaway/?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2008, 11:49:04 PM »
man, this topic is so later'd...

i guarantee you that if you go 100 miles outside of any major metropolitan area, no matter what region, you'll find rednecks spouting racism towards some minority -- as well as homophobia, sexism, you name it.  this whole "north vs south" thing is so 150 years ago...seriously, who cares?
more like 40 years. It is/was a pointless debate, but so is 90% of slap. But I should repeat that I don't assume anybody from the south is automatically racist, and that things have changed a good bit recently.
Also I totally agree. I would bet you'd find a lot less burning crosses in Atlanta than you would in a bunch of towns in the rural parts of the oh-so-tolerant California
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2008, 05:38:16 AM »
Racism is for sure everywhere, try Ohio, West Virginia, New Orleans, Detroit, you'll see the same shit everywhere. Historically maybe you can make a case that the South was worse in its brutality and fighting for segregation for so long, but racism itself would be kinda hard to quantify-let's just agree that America has a bad racist history, and that no area has it's hands clean.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2008, 06:14:34 AM »
Racism is for sure everywhere, try Ohio, West Virginia, New Orleans, Detroit, you'll see the same shit everywhere. Historically maybe you can make a case that the South was worse in its brutality and fighting for segregation for so long, but racism itself would be kinda hard to quantify-let's just agree that America has a bad racist history, and that no area has it's hands clean.
NO MAN, SOMEONE MUST BE RIGHT AND SOMEONE ELSE MUST BE WRONG

also

VOTE OR DIE

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »
VOTE OR DIE

man, can we kill Puffy and still vote?