Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3057071 times)

Yu Dum

Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #39420 on: June 11, 2018, 07:22:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Finally starting Twin Peaks: The Return. So far, I’m more confused than anything, but it wouldn’t be TP if I could remotely understand anything going on within the first episode.
[close]

let me know if you understand it after the finale .. still pondering that ep .. i love tp almost as much as skateboarding so if you want to rewatch it with me in the tp thread id be down
Man, I’m on episode 4, i think? And I’m still so very confused. Damn you, David Lynch, you mysterious bastard, you.
Totally down to fully rewatch once I get through it.

Silky Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #39421 on: June 11, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »
Gonna be heading up North to stay Sacramento for at least the rest of this year, started packing my shit and should be out of here by the end of the month. Stoked on a change of scenery after 20+ years in the same city

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #39422 on: June 11, 2018, 06:51:49 PM »
Fully moved into my new apartment a couple days ago and actually ended up getting the biggest room. Also relearned pop shuvs again after 6 or 7 years of apparently trying them completely wrong.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39423 on: June 11, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »
fa/hockey
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Pigeon

« Reply #39424 on: June 12, 2018, 01:07:29 AM »
car sex

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #39425 on: June 12, 2018, 01:20:15 AM »

poorlatino

• Rep: 41
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39426 on: June 12, 2018, 05:20:50 PM »
Getting out of prison. Being 2 years 7 months sober. Making 25 per hour as a machine operator. 3 years ago I was living on my moms couch strung out on methadone. I made a complete 180 but the truth is I worked hard for it so yeah..it makes sense. Back on Slap after years. Thanks bros.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #39427 on: June 12, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »
Gonna be heading up North to stay Sacramento for at least the rest of this year, started packing my shit and should be out of here by the end of the month. Stoked on a change of scenery after 20+ years in the same city

As you probably already know, the skate scene in sac is fucking awesome. It has a ton of great spots and parks and people are generally really cool, and you're only an hour from the bay- nice to be able to escape there when it's 100+ degrees in the summer.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39428 on: June 12, 2018, 06:24:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As you probably already know, the skate scene in sac is fucking awesome. It has a ton of great spots and parks and people are generally really cool, and you're only an hour from the bay- nice to be able to escape there when it's 100+ degrees in the summer.
That's great to hear, what parks and shops do you recommend I check out?

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #39429 on: June 12, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »
power inn for tranny, mather field for a big street plaza replica. B-street is the classic warehouse one, it is pretty run-down but fun to hang out and omar and biebel have had footage there (and dill.) As far as shops, check out PLA.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39430 on: June 12, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
Getting out of prison. Being 2 years 7 months sober. Making 25 per hour as a machine operator. 3 years ago I was living on my moms couch strung out on methadone. I made a complete 180 but the truth is I worked hard for it so yeah..it makes sense. Back on Slap after years. Thanks bros.
Congrats homie, hopefully you stick around on here

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #39431 on: June 12, 2018, 09:12:59 PM »
Glad to hear, welcome back!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39432 on: June 12, 2018, 10:11:59 PM »
power inn for tranny, mather field for a big street plaza replica. B-street is the classic warehouse one, it is pretty run-down but fun to hang out and omar and biebel have had footage there (and dill.) As far as shops, check out PLA.
Sweet, thanks man

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #39433 on: June 13, 2018, 03:39:45 AM »
Killing life, congrats!

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #39434 on: June 13, 2018, 10:27:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Killing life, congrats!
Sobriety! LIFE!
Keep it up, man.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #39435 on: June 13, 2018, 12:06:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sweet, thanks man

B street is hella dope, Mather is one of my favorites. the park in oakpark is small but very fun. nearly every school is fun to skate in sac as well
even the steven

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39436 on: June 13, 2018, 12:20:03 PM »
Just watched Grosso's Nine Club and it was probably the best interview I've ever seen

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #39437 on: June 15, 2018, 01:36:43 AM »
This put some new thoughts into my head at a good time, if your trying to be clean its worth a watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG--M8B04DA&t=3s

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39438 on: June 15, 2018, 02:00:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Sweet, thanks man
[close]

B street is hella dope, Mather is one of my favorites. the park in oakpark is small but very fun. nearly every school is fun to skate in sac as well
Rad really looking forward to checking those out

shark tits

« Reply #39439 on: June 15, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »
this asian lady w/ a shopping cart was digging in my recycling for nickels. she usedta be my competition when i was a junkbomb can collector.
she had a tomato seedling in her shopping cart i goes 'tomato?' and she said 'yeah, someone gave it to me'.
i goes 'word, do you like honey?' and i gave her a jar of insect sugar and picked us both a strawberry.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #39440 on: June 15, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »
this asian lady w/ a shopping cart was digging in my recycling for nickels. she usedta be my competition when i was a junkbomb can collector.
she had a tomato seedling in her shopping cart i goes 'tomato?' and she said 'yeah, someone gave it to me'.
i goes 'word, do you like honey?' and i gave her a jar of insect sugar and picked us both a strawberry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5T96LHnEWw

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #39441 on: June 16, 2018, 08:21:14 AM »
being really inspired by music lately like when I was young. I didn’t know it could still happen to you when you’re in your late 30s but I’m stoked on it.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #39442 on: June 16, 2018, 08:46:39 AM »
Just finished a bunch of new additions to our local DIY park, and it's basically an entirely new park. (shouts to bobby_peru and stabmaster for lending some hands too!) I'm extremely proud of the result and everyone who's been constantly killing it for our community for years.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjyU86clKk2/?taken-by=prospectparkdiy

Bonus stoke: Jenkem did a book release party in my area last night. I've had the book for quite awhile now but I still stopped by and shot the shit with some of them about skating/writing. I've been trying to write some stuff about skating recently, and after last night I'm definitely feeling very motivated about that as well as trying harder in general to contribute to the community.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #39443 on: June 16, 2018, 11:23:45 AM »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #39444 on: June 16, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
Bonus stoke: Jenkem did a book release party in my area last night. I've had the book for quite awhile now but I still stopped by and shot the shit with some of them about skating/writing. I've been trying to write some stuff about skating recently, and after last night I'm definitely feeling very motivated about that as well as trying harder in general to contribute to the community.

you've been mentioning your interest in writing about skating quite a few times now. I write too (for a living) and would be interested in checking out your first attempts if you're ever looking for feedback, don't hesitate to DM me; I'm easy and open-minded about different styles and approaches so please don't fear, I might give you a few technical pointers if I ever feel like you could use some but I won't judge. anybody's effort to try and come up with text as a means of substantially exchanging with people amidst an ocean of Instagram clips and other short term, often self-absorbed bursts of expression is to be encouraged. so do it!

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #39445 on: June 16, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you've been mentioning your interest in writing about skating quite a few times now. I write too (for a living) and would be interested in checking out your first attempts if you're ever looking for feedback, don't hesitate to DM me; I'm easy and open-minded about different styles and approaches so please don't fear, I might give you a few technical pointers if I ever feel like you could use some but I won't judge. anybody's effort to try and come up with text as a means of substantially exchanging with people amidst an ocean of Instagram clips and other short term, often self-absorbed bursts of expression is to be encouraged. so do it!

For a living!? How'd you pull that off?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #39446 on: June 16, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
well it's a very humble and most often six month-delayed living. there's no money in skate journalism, you do it out of love and take what you can get. I just freelance to the same handful of mags and media outlets non stop; used to be something I'd do on the side but I just recently lost my actual day job so now I do it full time. whenever I'm not out skating I'm working, and I sleep three-hour nights. coffee is my best friend. there's more to the job than the creative side, you have to be on the phone and e-mail constantly and network like a motherfucker, plus you have to deal with all the tedious tasks like interview transcriptions from audio to text, translations, web article layouts, with new content and projects that drop every day, it really is a desk job. I'm a huge skate nerd who got lucky and barely scrapes by. if you're concerned about yourself in the slightest, don't do what I'm doing. right now I have no real safety net in terms of monthly income (for the first time in ten years), although sometimes I'm working for four different clients at the same time, and that's after several years of literally doing it for free. otherwise it's a blast and I learn something new every day; I'm thankful. I also get hooked up with the occasional translation job on the side (of stuff I didn't write myself), and other similar side hustles, otherwise I couldn't make it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:12:57 PM by silhouette »

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #39447 on: June 16, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
Cheer team car wash!!!

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #39448 on: June 16, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
well it's a very humble and most often six month-delayed living. there's no money in skate journalism, you do it out of love and take what you can get. I just freelance to the same handful of mags and media outlets non stop; used to be something I'd do on the side but I just recently lost my actual day job so now I do it full time. whenever I'm not out skating I'm working, and I sleep three-hour nights. coffee is my best friend. there's more to the job than the creative side, you have to be on the phone and e-mail constantly and network like a motherfucker, plus you have to deal with all the tedious tasks like interview transcriptions from audio to text, translations, web article layouts, with new content and projects that drop every day, it really is a desk job. I'm a huge skate nerd who got lucky and barely scrapes by. if you're concerned about yourself in the slightest, don't do what I'm doing. right now I have no real safety net in terms of monthly income (for the first time in ten years), although sometimes I'm working for four different clients at the same time, and that's after several years of literally doing it for free. otherwise it's a blast and I learn something new every day; I'm thankful. I also get hooked up with the occasional translation job on the side (of stuff I didn't write myself), and other similar side hustles, otherwise I couldn't make it.

Big respect. Also, considering the difficulty of your path, it's pretty cool that you'd be open to giving pointers to a would-be skate writer. I'd be guarding my turf ruthlessly!  ;)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #39449 on: June 17, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »