Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3059430 times)

doublesteveburger

Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #39510 on: July 03, 2018, 01:17:12 PM »
My buddy who had previously lost all of his front teeth due to heavy drug use got new teeth this week. I'm thrilled for my friend. Never thought I'd take something like a decent smile for granted. Really put things in perspective.

Bruh Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #39511 on: July 03, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »
Heading to NY tomorrow to meet up with an old friend who I haven't seen since '06, been chatting on Instagram but really looking forward to pushing around and catching up in person!

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #39512 on: July 03, 2018, 02:47:43 PM »
skating is weird as fuck sometimes, flatgrounds never really been my forte but i've been trying to play more games of skate so we had a game earlier in the day and I spent a good half an hour trying to set a fakie 360 flip - admittedly its hardly a banger but w/e. ate shit a few times catching primo etc then finally rolled away from a shitty one. had a chill game later on in the night, both on the last letter and i said "if i do this first try ill fucking cry" and landed it bolts straight off the bat. also landed a few decent bs flips so it's been a pretty good day.

shark tits

« Reply #39513 on: July 03, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »
so we're working on our DIY and my buddy is a postgrad, he's into social justice but he's not corny about it. he went to that skateboard's place in architecture/greater society conference in london last month. a sociology professor who skates was at the spot and my buddy was saying how at the conference, the crowd was one way and then they'd put elissa steamer or karl watson on the spot 'what was it like being the only girl skater?' or 'how'd you fit in skating w/ all the white boys'? [of oakland or emb, heheh?]
so anyways, he said the crowd and people w/ their leading questions were all one way but elissa, alexis and jaime reyes were just like 'um, i skated and minded my business. most people were cool' or whatever, not verbatim.
karl watson goes 'you just do what you have to and assimilate' and i guess they jumped on that word but nobody would accuse organikarl of not being black.
it was just sort of refreshing that people i respect back what i was saying [my friend and the professor think skating is less accessible to women, i say women are less interested].
basically i'm just stoked to have my 'slap style' arguements w/ actual smart people and not get called a bunch of names or whatever.
i was on my 'everything is a choice' existential tip but my boy goes 'you can say that but what about the person in the sweatshop'?
got me thinking.

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #39514 on: July 03, 2018, 08:04:11 PM »
Yeah dude this popular politics trend or whatever you call it is super wack.  Arguing is fun but that shit gets too extreme. Shits so negative for everyone.

ungzilla

« Reply #39515 on: July 03, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »
Expand Quote

Much respect for the clean hands.
[close]

Clean with dirt on them, good for your health.
The plants I thought were marigolds growing in the snow back in February turned out to be lupine, and I'm stoked on them and other wildflowers for growing in adverse conditions, like rocks.

think that's Delphinium my man, Delphinium carolinianum if I had to guess w/o knowledge of your geographical location.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:22:46 PM by ungzilla »

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #39516 on: July 05, 2018, 09:23:30 AM »
Saw Lee Smith switch varial flip a grate in a line yesterday, it was pretty awesome.

Also stoked on running into a younger friend from years back and finding out he's doing very well with his apparel brand and design outlets as hobbies. Always cool to see people leave the burbs and follow their dreams.

Lastly, very stoked on the hospitality at my friend's apartment, really friendly dude and turns out we skated in the same circles way back.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:27:18 AM by Bruh Man »

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #39517 on: July 05, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1571
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #39518 on: July 05, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »
The summer camp we hosted for 90 children with and without disabilities went off without a hitch.  Parent/child feedback has been really good and is going to help so much get a grant for next year. Also stoked to rest now
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

shark tits

« Reply #39520 on: July 05, 2018, 06:37:05 PM »
we finally finished our pyramid at sharkside. planted nasturtiums in the dirt at the top, idk if i'm on some wingnut shit w/ edible skatespots but i wanna put some strawberries in the grass gap and i'm gonna do more tomatoes than we already have. there's a mulberry tree w/ no berries, maybe it needs a friend to cross pollinate? love to do a transplant, i had to dig one up and replant 3 X last yr, then i gave it to my mailman and he let it die.
i digress, our DIY just got a dope new feature and i'm pleased as punch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDVExL0wjFY

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #39521 on: July 06, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
Going to the river tomorrow for a friend's birthday. We know a sick river to tube down that most of the general public doesn't know about. Takes about 3 hours, includes a couple cliff jumps, beach spots, and even a rope swing.

It's gonna be a good day, cause fuck skateboarding.. it's gonna 113°F (45°C) here tomorrow. Is it bad that I'm not even bummed? ahah

bawtawdinfinity

« Reply #39522 on: July 07, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »
Big kratom in my backwood watchin richie rich.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #39523 on: July 08, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
Going to the river tomorrow for a friend's birthday. We know a sick river to tube down that most of the general public doesn't know about. Takes about 3 hours, includes a couple cliff jumps, beach spots, and even a rope swing.

It's gonna be a good day, cause fuck skateboarding.. it's gonna 113°F (45°C) here tomorrow. Is it bad that I'm not even bummed? ahah

It was 111 here yesterday, I cannot fathom skating in that. Swimming it was. And central air on 53 degrees at home
Gentleman ninja warlock

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39524 on: July 08, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

The plants I thought were marigolds growing in the snow back in February turned out to be lupine, and I'm stoked on them and other wildflowers for growing in adverse conditions, like rocks.

[close]

think that's Delphinium my man, Delphinium carolinianum if I had to guess w/o knowledge of your geographical location.

Yo Ung! You a botany nerd too? Latin isn’t often seen around the boards. I know some dude is studing Carex on here too.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #39525 on: July 09, 2018, 12:09:13 AM »
Went to the skatepark at 9 tonight and didn't think I was gonna stay long. Ended up staying until 1:40 with some other homies who rolled up and we all got some good ass tricks in.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -132
« Reply #39526 on: July 09, 2018, 12:54:29 AM »
The sun is shining and it's summer
everything is fresh
I can feel a warm breeze in my face
ohh the joys of summer nights

and ohh yeah I've been doing art stuff with my friends.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39527 on: July 09, 2018, 03:40:29 AM »
potential new diy/fuck around spot

ungzilla

« Reply #39528 on: July 09, 2018, 07:28:20 AM »
that's some potential right there

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yo Ung! You a botany nerd too? Latin isn’t often seen around the boards. I know some dude is studing Carex on here too.

Hah, yea dude, I sent you a PM so we don't have to nerd this thread up

shark tits

« Reply #39529 on: July 09, 2018, 07:30:15 AM »

that looks dreamy!

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #39530 on: July 09, 2018, 07:31:39 AM »
that's some potential right there

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hah, yea dude, I sent you a PM so we don't have to nerd this thread up

Nah man need it up. Love that shit
Gentleman ninja warlock

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39531 on: July 09, 2018, 07:45:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
that looks dreamy!

I expected it to be rough given that it was originally a garage that got demolished years ago but after two hours of sweeping it out it the end result was way better than expected, definitely gets a little rougher towards the end but once you know the rough patches it's golden. Given the location of it I'm not sure if we're gonna put actual money/crete into it or just ghetto style as while it's close to all of our homes it's also a pretty rough area and i could see it getting fucked up.

It's out of the way/overgrown enough that I doubt you'd get any bother but I still wouldn't trust local kids if they stumbled upon it. There's also an old garage next to it that just got leveled for renovations so we're not sure if this place will get leveled too but afaik its been abandoned/overgrown for atleast 10 maybe 15 years.

I think our plans at the moment are probably to give it another round of sweeping/cleaning up, get a little manny pad and a rail over the middle dirt area as there's plenty of bricks etc around to prop some wood up over it and one of our friends has one of those department store esque flatbars so we're gonna take that down. Think I might have one of those shitty little plastic kickers somewhere too so it should be an alright spot.

shark tits

« Reply #39532 on: July 09, 2018, 08:02:57 AM »
nice, what city is that?
maybe you can get the neighborhood kids invested in it/help build or watch it?
cement is harder to smash/doesn't burn than wood. that said, sometimes it's easier to work in lighter materials, you just know it's temporary that way.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39533 on: July 09, 2018, 08:04:48 AM »
If you give a kid an old deck they make their parents buy them trucks and wheels......

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39534 on: July 09, 2018, 09:24:56 AM »
nice, what city is that?
maybe you can get the neighborhood kids invested in it/help build or watch it?
cement is harder to smash/doesn't burn than wood. that said, sometimes it's easier to work in lighter materials, you just know it's temporary that way.

North East of the UK. I don't know what skatepark culture is like over in the US but here most parks are filled with kids/teens there solely to fuck about, drink alcohol and wheelie mountain bikes. It's bad enough at parks nevermind somewhere vaguely out of the way so I'd predict a lot of smashed glass and general delinquency. There's two other DIY's around here and both of them had their fair share of being fucked up ie fires set, floor tiles ripped up, wet crete fucked up. I remember about a year ago it took us 3 trips back to this one fenced off tunnel spot to break through the fence, get a flatbar etc down there and the place got blown out by those type of kids in under a week so for this place as arrogant as it sounds I think we're gonna try and keep it just us who are solely focused on skating as opposed to those who'd skate it but also bring friends to fuck about and they'd bring friends and so forth. We have been skating this little plaza spot in the town but it's rapidly been attracting more and more people who don't skate which I can't blame them as they have just as much right to be there as we do but at the same time they're also the same people fucking the place up, causing a nuisance, littering etc.

I would like to try and put some crete down but honestly I feel like I'd be the only person who'd actually put money/effort into it. There is alot of hardcore/rubble a stones throw from the spot so creting would be pretty doable. At the moment what I'd like to do is get some no more nails on those rubber fence post feet and fill them up with rubble so they're more solid and also find some more wood and make that wallie double sided. Will try and get some more pics next time I'm there.

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #39535 on: July 10, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »
Went to an 80's night with some friends the other night, but I've never danced in my life (except one slow dance at my sophomore semi lol) and the event was at a bar. I had little to no desire to drink and actually enjoyed dancing! I'm really stoked this experience proved that I can still enjoy myself and break out of comfort zones without alcohol. Maybe it was a combination of factors like actually enjoying the music and being in good company, but whatever it was, I'm stoked!

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #39536 on: July 10, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »
Made it to New Orleans last night. Long ass train ride from Atlanta but still stoked on hostels, 24 hour bars, humidity skate shop, and nice locals buying me beers and showing me where to get po’boys.

Austin Texas up next another 24 hour train ride.

shark tits

« Reply #39537 on: July 10, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »
15 pullups, i'm a fucking machine!!!
we having a meeting about a community skate shop at our DIY next wk. idk if its just 2nd hand stuff for dirty ghetto kids or if we can finagle a budget from philanthropists but it's good to be doing something for a community even if i don't care about the individual members of said community. it feels good on the macro.
existential batman didn't fight crime and shoot errant dogs because he enjoyed it, he did it because nobody else would.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #39538 on: July 11, 2018, 05:18:46 AM »
farmers cropping his field this week so i can go dig up some awesome shit i find with my metal detector

feedmeseymour

« Reply #39539 on: July 11, 2018, 05:56:20 AM »
farmers cropping his field this week so i can go dig up some awesome shit i find with my metal detector

im interested... ever found anything awesome? how much did you drop on your metal detector? how often do you find stuff when you go out looking?