Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3057051 times)

CrumblingInfrastructure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #39570 on: July 20, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »
Spending my upcoming birthday with my lady watching anime in a theater, skating and hitting up record stores all day. Currently on a train to California. Window seat. The three hour delay couldn’t even knock the smile of my face.

Sounds good man! Ive been taking the train all across the country so got into LA last week from texas and now im up in SF. Dont forget you can take your own booze and food on! Seen a lady in Minnesota walk on with 2 dominos pizzas.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #39571 on: July 23, 2018, 04:24:50 AM »
nice, what city is that?
maybe you can get the neighborhood kids invested in it/help build or watch it?
cement is harder to smash/doesn't burn than wood. that said, sometimes it's easier to work in lighter materials, you just know it's temporary that way.

bumped into a friend who asked why we hadn't been skating the park as much, told him about the spot/where it is and he tells us that it's getting levelled within the next month or so to build flats (he's fitting windows and doors on the place they just levelled next to it and then this one). good thing we didn't put any serious £ into it, hopefully it'll last the next month or so as a refuge from the park.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #39572 on: July 23, 2018, 04:35:10 AM »
DIY shit is fun. These days my friends and I have been working on something at an old, abandoned, shitty concrete skatepark relic from the 1990's in the suburbs that's hidden in the woods, secluded from everything and next to a freeway (go figure). Two of my friends are super into DIY and skatepark design and felt like putting that place to good use again, so we've used how everybody was busy with the World Cup to snag two dozens of buckets of cement, literally a ton of sand, and a bunch of brick and mortar from construction sites and we've been trying to build a first little tranny section there. So far it's been fun, we're finishing it soon, of course we are concerned that it's technically a municipal skatepark but in reality it's in the middle of nowhere far outside the city itself, the chances of a bust are low. We're pretty much refurbishing it, just to a greater extent than some of my friends had already done before actually (sawing off shitty rails, filling cracks). Originally I didn't even see myself being down, not being into skateparks and all, but in reality it's something to do.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #39573 on: July 23, 2018, 05:39:11 AM »
  Woke up feeling shiddy and went to the coffee shop and the coffee girl called me gorgeous and kissed me and pressed her body to mine when I was leaving.  I dunno if she likes me likes me but I got her number and texted her how I liked seeing her today.  I don't talk to any of my male friends about any girls cause I fucking hate that guy-gossip shit but it's not gossip here.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 05:40:43 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39574 on: July 23, 2018, 06:37:13 AM »
DIY shit is fun. These days my friends and I have been working on something at an old, abandoned, shitty concrete skatepark relic from the 1990's in the suburbs that's hidden in the woods, secluded from everything and next to a freeway (go figure). Two of my friends are super into DIY and skatepark design and felt like putting that place to good use again, so we've used how everybody was busy with the World Cup to snag two dozens of buckets of cement, literally a ton of sand, and a bunch of brick and mortar from construction sites and we've been trying to build a first little tranny section there. So far it's been fun, we're finishing it soon, of course we are concerned that it's technically a municipal skatepark but in reality it's in the middle of nowhere far outside the city itself, the chances of a bust are low. We're pretty much refurbishing it, just to a greater extent than some of my friends had already done before actually (sawing off shitty rails, filling cracks). Originally I didn't even see myself being down, not being into skateparks and all, but in reality it's something to do.

word, that sounds dope. i think it's the ethos of taking something used for other purposes (alotta diy's tend to usually be demolished warehouse/industrial/overpass/etc areas) and turning it into your own little private paradise that makes it so appealing. trying to get people together to go to the same scooter filled parks or the same spots you've been hitting for years is kinda hard sometimes, getting everyone together to hit a spot out of the way where you can not be bothered by others, build the kinda shit you want to skate and really have alot of modularity is alot easier.

i feel like the diy's also help improve your skating, we have this little flat gap at ours we've been hitting and i think trying to get tricks over that and trying tricks i wouldn't normally do on flat has improved my overall flat game a little bit.

shark tits

« Reply #39575 on: July 23, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

word, that sounds dope. i think it's the ethos of taking something used for other purposes (alotta diy's tend to usually be demolished warehouse/industrial/overpass/etc areas) and turning it into your own little private paradise that makes it so appealing. trying to get people together to go to the same scooter filled parks or the same spots you've been hitting for years is kinda hard sometimes, getting everyone together to hit a spot out of the way where you can not be bothered by others, build the kinda shit you want to skate and really have alot of modularity is alot easier.

i feel like the diy's also help improve your skating, we have this little flat gap at ours we've been hitting and i think trying to get tricks over that and trying tricks i wouldn't normally do on flat has improved my overall flat game a little bit.
your friends won't buy decks but they'll help build a spot?
strange crew ya got there.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39576 on: July 23, 2018, 07:16:40 AM »
Buy building a spot I mean mostly out of wood scrap wood, parking blocks, that kinda shit though we did put a little bit of crete down on the shitty little ledge and some patches on the floor.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39577 on: July 24, 2018, 02:36:24 AM »
I feel like my city has gone into bizzaro world. 

This summer all the white dudes have been wearing Nike/Adidas, Biggie/Tupac shirts and the whole Palace kit, with the warm up suits and stuff.  The black dudes are all wearing skin tight jeans, vintage Metallica/Iron Maiden/Led Zeppelin shirts and Vans.

It's cool, but it still trips me out to see a 19 year old black kid skating and rocking a size small AC/DC, "Rock of Ages" shirt, Vans, and the tightest jeans possible. 

active_shooter

« Reply #39578 on: July 24, 2018, 04:39:51 AM »
Son graduated from college last December and is doing well. Daughter getting ready for college next month. Other daughter doing well in basketball and getting some offers from schools. I'm conflicted concerning going to college and coming out with a ton of debt, but everything will be fine. It always is.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #39579 on: July 24, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »
putting in my two weeks tomorrow and moving in a few weeks

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #39580 on: July 24, 2018, 06:00:28 PM »
We are nearly upon Eggnog season
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Bruh Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Upstairs, fifth floor
« Reply #39581 on: July 24, 2018, 08:01:29 PM »
Scrambled to meet a paperwork deadline these past few days, but still met it today. Also stoked my hip healed enough where I can sleep on my side again lol.

Edit: yesterday I was really stoked on hanging with a friend and his girl at his parents' house (visiting from out of town), had the illest dinner, and his dad took us out on the lake after too. Being around such a rad family kinda made me wish mine wasn't so disfunctional lol.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:05:16 PM by Bruh Man »

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #39582 on: July 25, 2018, 03:55:55 AM »
Bless-ed with the summer we have here, long warm nights, swimming in the ocean.. I have no vacation days but I'm still living my fullest which feels super nice after that long and gloomy winter where I didn't see people and was just at my home cut from the world around..

Life can be great I suppose..

poorlatino

• Rep: 41
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39583 on: July 25, 2018, 05:19:33 AM »
Working long hours.

Having a long project to dive into.

Friends.

Sobriety.

Nostalgia: https://youtu.be/B8tZtTVhpd8

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #39584 on: July 25, 2018, 08:05:15 AM »
Today is my last day of work before vacation until next Tuesday.  Other than skating, my favorite activity is playing darts.  This weekend is the 30th Annual Music City Classic Dart Tournament.  $23,000 purse tournament.  Its my favorite tournament of the year.  I may try to get in a few skate sessions while I'm on vacation too.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

shark tits

« Reply #39585 on: July 25, 2018, 11:49:46 AM »
my pal's prolly had this in mind since he graduated college but it feels like a natural outgrowth of our DIY.
kick in a few bucks if you want, it'll put hair on your chest.
http://www.gofundme.com/worcester-community-skateshop

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #39586 on: July 25, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »
A verbally abusive co-worker's finally moving out of my department. I've never wanted to tell someone to fuck off so badly, and I almost snapped a few times, but she's leaving and taking all the stress with her. I'm glad I maintained my professionalism because the management noticed it.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #39587 on: July 25, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »
I don't need surgery to fix my knee! Just two months of physical therapy and a brace.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #39588 on: July 27, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »
After 3+ years of trying to find a fulfilling job with my "useless" degree, jumping from one horrible business to another, barely scraping by, paying for my own shitty health insurance, I finally got a good job offer. A good company that pays more than I've ever made, has great benefits, and actually has a little bit to do with what I studied.  I'm so happy I nearly shed a tear when I got the call.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39589 on: July 27, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
Stocked on skateboarding with my daughter and my nephew on holidays while they have fun on rollerblades !
I'll put them on a board  when they're ready^^

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #39590 on: July 27, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »
i went skating finally for the first time in 2 months after wrecking my ankle, strangely i can still tre flip but when i try to kickflip it feels weird.

also the new job is going good, it's really hard work but the place is managed better than my previous employer.
even the steven

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #39591 on: July 29, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
Gave some kid some old stuff (may regret giving away my Spits out of madness) but I haven't given stuff to someone in real need. Then we skated flat for an hour or so which is most I have since I came home for break

Also talking to this girl and she seems pretty cool
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39592 on: July 30, 2018, 03:19:52 AM »
landed a no comply back 3 yesterday full pop no revert bs, kinda makes me think i could do a back 3 even though theyre infinitely harder.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39593 on: July 30, 2018, 04:51:52 AM »
my ex who still hasn't moved out just got back from a month long holiday with her new dude and I don't give a shit anymore, I'm stoked I'm over her already, I feel very free - and tempted to start dating a new girl I've been seeing which funnily enough, freaks the ex out when she's the one who left me for another dude in the first place. I'm relieved that toxic relationship is over and, I have to say, a bit amused that my freedom gets to piss my ex off after all the shit she's put me through. can't wait for her to move out now. I've also been trying to catch up on lack of sleep (two hours per night for the past two months wasn't cutting it) and eating proper food and today I actually feel juiced to skate for the first time in a while; recently I had been trying to skate every day but really was too depressed or tired to feel the vibe, my body refused to work and now it actually feels great again! I feel like this is the end of a massive slump right here, I feel like taking good care of myself now and I can't wait to go skate!

landed a no comply back 3 yesterday full pop no revert bs, kinda makes me think i could do a back 3 even though theyre infinitely harder.

they're actually very similar (if you can get those full b/s 360 step hops down good), the motion of your shoulders actually has to be the exact same on both tricks. doing a lot of the step hop ones actually helped me relearn backside 360 ollies really consistently a few years back. so practice those, then once you get a good hang of the rotation just practice doing the same thing sucking your front leg up like you would for an impossible or pressure flip rather than sliding your foot off the board and onto the floor. compared to regular stance, full frontside 360 ollies on flat, backside ones aren't too hard although they may be a bitch to figure out at first, but you'll be stoked to get them eventually.

the_unknown_soldier: sounds like one step closer to self realization and happiness, congrats man.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:53:58 AM by silhouette »

shark tits

« Reply #39594 on: July 30, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »
i'm writing a 2nd issue of my zine.
first one was about missed connections, leaving the united states in different fashions and some beekeeping and recipes.
this one is [so far] about growing up in the system and getting arrested w/ a raccoon at a gas station in texas. i beat some dick so i'm out of inspiration but i'm gonna skate the strip mall plaza in a bit and re-up.
i've got more exes than some people will fall in love w/ their whole life.
idk if that's good or just pick one and stick w/ it but sometimes you think your life is empty and realize it's been a lot fuller than some other folks'.
maybe i'll do some stories about guns in your face. i like recurring themes.
this account on it's last legs.

Level 40 Human Fedora

• Rep: -46
« Reply #39595 on: July 30, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »
My new name that they already used.  I'll stick it out.  I was already posting for the last 6 months as someone else with a positive rep, but fuck it, I need to live my best life.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #39596 on: July 30, 2018, 11:58:55 PM »
moving to Texas in 3 weeks

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39597 on: July 31, 2018, 04:33:37 AM »
my ex who still hasn't moved out just got back from a month long holiday with her new dude and I don't give a shit anymore, I'm stoked I'm over her already, I feel very free - and tempted to start dating a new girl I've been seeing which funnily enough, freaks the ex out when she's the one who left me for another dude in the first place. I'm relieved that toxic relationship is over and, I have to say, a bit amused that my freedom gets to piss my ex off after all the shit she's put me through. can't wait for her to move out now. I've also been trying to catch up on lack of sleep (two hours per night for the past two months wasn't cutting it) and eating proper food and today I actually feel juiced to skate for the first time in a while; recently I had been trying to skate every day but really was too depressed or tired to feel the vibe, my body refused to work and now it actually feels great again! I feel like this is the end of a massive slump right here, I feel like taking good care of myself now and I can't wait to go skate!

Expand Quote
[close]

they're actually very similar (if you can get those full b/s 360 step hops down good), the motion of your shoulders actually has to be the exact same on both tricks. doing a lot of the step hop ones actually helped me relearn backside 360 ollies really consistently a few years back. so practice those, then once you get a good hang of the rotation just practice doing the same thing sucking your front leg up like you would for an impossible or pressure flip rather than sliding your foot off the board and onto the floor. compared to regular stance, full frontside 360 ollies on flat, backside ones aren't too hard although they may be a bitch to figure out at first, but you'll be stoked to get them eventually.

the_unknown_soldier: sounds like one step closer to self realization and happiness, congrats man.

yeah i got em down fairly well, still a little wobbly on the landing since i seem to be landing back foot first more often than not. ive tried back 3s before and they tend to flop away from me but with being able to do the no comply ones i figure its just trying to figure out keeping the board with you without the footplant. will give em a shot next skate.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39598 on: July 31, 2018, 04:59:53 AM »
the big toe on your back foot is what should be keeping the board in control under you on that trick, with or without the step hop. it's the only part of your body that needs to be attached to the board the whole time. that's why ollie impossibles help so much with it. focus on that big toe.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39599 on: July 31, 2018, 05:13:27 AM »
i did get a few back 3 no complies that felt like only the big toe was on the board the whole time while spinning so i definitely get what you mean, cheers. I feel like it's gonna be one of those tricks thats a bitch to figure out, then once you figure it out you think you've got it down and understand it but you really dont lol.