Author Topic: Southeast Asia  (Read 1940 times)

GISM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
  • pariah
Southeast Asia
« on: September 18, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »
Anybody been to SE Asia? Bringing a board but skating won't be my top priority. Mostly want to hike and see natural shit. How much did you spend to get there? Best ways to live cheap?

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
Re: Southeast Asia
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:24:22 PM »
Anything?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »
Might be easier if you norrowed it down to where in SE Asia you will be traveling.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 02:59:39 AM »
Indonesia -

eat local street if you think your stomach can handle it, its more likely to give you the shits than street food in other SEA countries but its super cheap and delicious
street skating in jakarta is a lot of fun, therse also a park in north jakarta and tons of spots downtown not to mention gems all over the rest of the city. i'd say your best bet would be to meet some locals at the park and get them to show you some spots. another good place to meet locals is the skate shop kemang i forget what its called though, its across from a bar called splash though which is pretty sick and excellent for getting drunk. its right around the corner from kemang mcdonalds most cab drivers will know where that is.
tons of dope shit to see, volcanoes, jungles, beaches, islands - if you go to jakarta you can take buses and or trains to places like bogor, bandung, short plane ride to jogjakarta where thers also really nice outdoorsy type shit,

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
I've never been, but my gf has been to Vietnam and Thailand a few times, and some of her friends lived in Thailand for a year. Buy street food to stay cheap, beers are apparently really cheap too. If you're in Bangkok at all, check out the huge outdoor market they have there (I'll call her later and get the name). No idea how they are for skating though, but chances are you can find something.

EDIT: also, get a hostel in or near the red light district. Prostitution/stippers/ladyboys are such a big draw in Thailand that the crime rate is actually pretty low in that area of Bangkok. Plus the rooms are stupid cheap. You might get robbed, but that might happen anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:06:12 AM by InternetDaddy »
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

LUGR

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
Indonesia -

eat local street if you think your stomach can handle it, its more likely to give you the shits than street food in other SEA countries but its super cheap and delicious
street skating in jakarta is a lot of fun, therse also a park in north jakarta and tons of spots downtown not to mention gems all over the rest of the city. i'd say your best bet would be to meet some locals at the park and get them to show you some spots. another good place to meet locals is the skate shop kemang i forget what its called though, its across from a bar called splash though which is pretty sick and excellent for getting drunk. its right around the corner from kemang mcdonalds most cab drivers will know where that is.
tons of dope shit to see, volcanoes, jungles, beaches, islands - if you go to jakarta you can take buses and or trains to places like bogor, bandung, short plane ride to jogjakarta where thers also really nice outdoorsy type shit,

^Would be interested in hearing more about your time skating in Jakarta/Indonesia. Guarantee we know some of the same people over there.

Anyways,

Skate park in the North of Jakarta should be in Kelapa Gading/Pulomas area. Guaranteed it will be a hassle to find and lots of traffic to get there since you probably wouldn't be staying in the north. Taman Mini in East Jak has a fairly new cement park that I have heard is fun.

For street skating hit office buildings on Jl. Sudirman, and Kunigan. Expect to battle with satpams (security guards) at most of the spots. At least cops won't mess with you. You can probably meet up with some locals at Pintu 1 (Gate 1) at Senayan stadium after 5 on most days and they might even have a box or rail to skate. Last I heard people were still meeting there. Also, head to Bandung for cooler weather and to skate Bukit skate park. If in Bali there is a fairly new park by the name of Motion which is probably the best park in the country, never been but the guy who started it is a legit dude. Really hope that place is still in business.

I would suggest limiting the street food as a tourist to stuff that is boiled fried or steamed and try to avoid the utensils they provide. Nothing worse than being stuck in traffic with explosive diarrhea.

Pretty ghetto but really fun places to skate and some real nice locals that are down for the cause. Kind of get an LA vibe there bc of all the car time and traffic jams.

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:02:50 AM »
Bangkok Thailand local here.

First off, if you wanna get weed, STAY AWAY from Khao Sarn.
Second of all, check out Preduce. Google them. They're a local shop and board company and thats the introduction I can give to you on the Thai skate scene. I would write more but Im using a public computer right now so I'll write more when I get home.

Anyways,

HoudiniXLogic

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:24 PM »
I've never been, but my gf has been to Vietnam and Thailand a few times, and some of her friends lived in Thailand for a year. Buy street food to stay cheap, beers are apparently really cheap too. If you're in Bangkok at all, check out the huge outdoor market they have there (I'll call her later and get the name). No idea how they are for skating though, but chances are you can find something.

EDIT: also, get a hostel in or near the red light district. Prostitution/stippers/ladyboys are such a big draw in Thailand that the crime rate is actually pretty low in that area of Bangkok. Plus the rooms are stupid cheap. You might get robbed, but that might happen anywhere.

The only reason crime rates are low in that part of town is because gangster money keeps everythings safe. Those red light district (Patpong, Soi Cowboy, Soi Nana) are owned by corrupt police officials who operates a lazier version of the mafia. But yeah, those illegal payments keeps the tourists coming and the crime low. Oh yeah also dont piss off a local hustlin foreigners, he's just making money no matter how annoying he is.

Also if you come to Bangkok, Thailand without your board, you might as well shoot yourself in the foot. I hear Hubbas are really rare in the US. Hubba land in Thailand. So many spots over here that unless you just want to stay in unskatable places, you'd want to skate the marble and concrete here. Also have a bottle of Johnny Red with you, not for yourself, but if you see a really nice spot and theres a guard there, use the alcohol to bribe him. Throw a pack of cigs and a redbull or two in and he's in for an offer he cant refuse.

Anyways,

LUGR

• Rep: 47
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »
^Krating Daeng son...

And if you really talking about giving a bottle of Red Label to skate a spot you are tripping. Maybe the smokes and some Cheetos.

HoudiniXLogic

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »
Nah man I aint trippin. I know a couple of dudes that do it.

You try to skate that wave thing inside Chatuchak Park and you're gonna get at least 5 guards on your ass with nightsticks drawn out. Wonder how the Preduce crew were able to skate there? Bribes Bribes Bribes, thats how Thailand rolls bro.

Skate Rock this weekends gonna be fuckin sick as hell anyways.

Anyways,