Author Topic: Favorite spots?  (Read 26099 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Favorite spots?
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:16:50 AM »
This one isn't really about the industry or any of that shit, what are the best skatespots you've skated, past or present?
Heres some that stick out in my head:
Junipero school in SF- its the one with the pyramid shaped thing that people do grinds into from the top. Its gone now, but it was so unique and fun. I still think of tricks I wish I could do there.

Art Institute, Chicago- Perfect marble benches, thigh high marble ledges, marble ground, and a six stair. Lines for days, shaded with trees and off to the side so  if you entered the right way, you could stay all day. So many full summer days spent there. Its nobbed now

Post office, downtown Chicago- Nice marble benches and ground. Its not necessarily the best spot, its just classic. Still there, and when I get out to Chicago, just rolling through gives me so many great youthful memories.

Amoco building/Aon center, Chicago-  Before it was the ultimate bust it was amazing. Crazy stacked up marble slabs that made all sorts of unique gaps, ledges, and manual pads. Stairs of all sizes, some with decent handrails. marble banks that you could do tricks into. The most famous things there were these handicapped rails that you could skate off of a marble runway- Kalis switch smiths one in the bonus section of the dc video. There is a super gnarly gap there that Jamie Thomas frontside 180'd in Welcome to Hell, we used to look at it in disbelief. Its capped, but from time to time some of it gets unknobbed by some ninja ass skate spot liberators. The security guards are gnarly there, and will try and literally capture you, so when you see them, run!

3rd and army- most people hate this spot, but its got so much to offer. Shitty ledges that you can get used to if you try hard enough, a new flatbar, some tranny.... whatever, we all know this one.

City Hall, Philly- Never skated love, but my sister moved to Philly a couple years ago and I got to skate City Hall. So amazing. Its fucked now, but Philly is still one of the most amazing skate towns ever.

Washington St. Park, SD- The only reason to go to San Diego. I hate that town, but I'll deal with it just to skate that park. I love DIY, and its my favorite DIY park so far (I've skated fdr, bordertown, channel street, and the landfill bowl). Everything is super gnarly, and pretty much every transition has at least 6 inches of vert on it. Contrary to popular belief, I found the locals to be pleasant, all around good guys.

Anybody skate any of these? Anybody got some spots of their own to add?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
Re: Favorite spots?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 03:23:46 AM »
Los Medanos College in Pittsburg, CA: A small town in the Bay Area that has a lot of stuff to skate, a two-flat-four, a seven, a five, a five stair handrail that's flat, a ledge that connects to a bigger ledge with a drop, great for grinds/slides. my favorite spot of all time. shame that it's a bust now. my friend got arrested there. if you plan on skating there only go on sundays, because there's school monday-saturday.

Say Hi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 04:04:43 AM »
This, Prague - Czech Republik

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 04:14:48 AM »
This, Prague - Czech Republik

who is that in your avatar?

skimthefat

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 04:29:34 AM »
don't have any to add cause i'm just a shit australian kid with nothing to offer but i would love to skate 3rd and army, man you gotta have high expectations if you're not satisfied with that.
i would love to skate the twin cities in minnesota, the spots i see in the boondoggle montages make me cream.
any spot with a bunch of ledges i would be satisfied with. i've never really skated a perfect ledge outside a skatepark, if i have it gets wrecked by bikers, people make it unskateable or its a total bust.
i'm gonna move to san jose one day for their spots! looks great there, not too mention everyone there.

tiger woods

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 06:08:08 AM »
all the ones where i don't get kicked out. we've had a couple DIY spots here, blacktop was probably the best one.

angryfacedman

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 06:14:17 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0uwZQ4IFpQ

The spot at 0:07-0:16. Its in Croatia. So good!

ccc333

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 08:31:42 AM »
It used to be my favorite spot til they tore it down.  RIP.

Dr Newton

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 10:18:29 AM »
2003 Downtown Winston-Salem: The low, six stair Bridge Rail was here (Scuba Steve nose slides it in Really Sorry), as well as several marble ledges and whatnot all around the big buildings. The best ledge, and consequently the biggest bust, was GMAC. There was a two stair you could do a trick up, then room for a flat ground trick, followed by the most perfect marble planter on the planet. If you get caught skating GMAC today, you will get arrested. The rest of the spots are either skate stopped or shitty nine stairs.

A&T University: It's a historically black campus in Greensboro, NC, and so a lot of the students are less uptight about skating than others -- university police will probably get you eventually, but usually they'll just tell you to leave. If you like stairs, this spot is amazing due to the sheer volume of perfect skate-able sets of varying sizes -- some have handrails, and there is also the occasional ledge or two. The best rail here is a low, round seven stair rail.

jalopy james

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 10:27:41 AM »
The ghetto banks- birmingham alabama. place was nuts, wonderful tranny in the middle of the fucking projects. it was exhilirating having to watch your back and feet at the same time. that spot is legendary.

Government plaza-mobile, alabama. perfect at night. cops don't bother you, wonderful banks, knee-high circular manny pads, perfect hips, and it flows for days.

the warehouse aka. "the ghetto" lol. -fairhope alabama.

the warehouse was my favorite until the city built an actual "park" and the local authorities made the owner of the warehouse post no trespassing signs and kick kids out. something about insurance. the owner was cool as hell with us skating there and we all contributed to making it THE spot to skate. it flowed so well. now we have to settle for the shitty concrete park that nobody cares about with a shitty pyramid and no flow.
KFC should give cockatiels with their variety bucket, so you can eat one bird and love another.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »

where in croatia is that? where are you from?

nice clip and even a clip from slovenia... (last 10 stair)

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »
Bummytown in SF seems to be the hot thing right now.

so is this (not so) secret spot:

24th street BART:

chinese ollieing through the Mission is pretty rad in and out of itself.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 10:47:44 AM »

Junipero school in SF- its the one with the pyramid shaped thing that people do grinds into from the top. Its gone now, but it was so unique and fun. I still think of tricks I wish I could do there.

3rd and army- most people hate this spot, but its got so much to offer. Shitty ledges that you can get used to if you try hard enough, a new flatbar, some tranny.... whatever, we all know this one.

junipero was definitely fun. way harder than it looks on video, too. 3rd and army is cool too (when it isn't crowded)

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 10:57:10 AM »
This is my favorite spot

You can skate the top stair into the bank, skate the big 3 (if you are lame), skate it as a hip, or a gapped hip, over and into the main bank and it has a lot of flow for stupid lines.  Never a bust, and in an area where everytime you go, you see something funny, or weird or out of the ordinary.

it can be see at 1:16 in this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbcMqBHRSVA

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 11:22:48 AM »
South bank in London....
Durham courthouse... haven't been in a good while though.

I don't know what people call it, but in downtown Charlotte there's a a long ledge, and it gaps out to another one. It got knobbed so you can't gap to grind the 2nd one..... but you can manual the whole thing or whatever. Pretty much anything in Charlotte is really fun.

and dixies is a fun ledge to skate.
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

Comrade

• Rep: 18
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 11:34:52 AM »
We don't have the best spots around here, but when I was down in New York for a couple of days, I made sure to stop at the Banks.

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 12:52:31 PM »
city hall/love/municipal building: growing up skating this one block radius pretty much defined everything i love about skating still.
musee d orsay in paris: banks, wallies, amazing benches and perfect flatground.
ABC ledges in staten island: i don't even need to explain why this place is amazing.
University ledges in paris: kind of a low key spot but if you end up skating this you will experience a small sliver of heaven.
Welfare building in washington DC: such a cool fucking obstacle. so hit or miss though, i hate when i go out there and dont get more than a collective 5 minutes there.
cecil: as much as it sucks getting stuck there, it doesn't suck getting stuck there. the chill spot.
tempe skate park in arizona: ok its a skatepark but if you ever wonder why it seems so many people come out of arizona, just remember they grow up skating this thing everyday. you could learn anything there.

as for some of the spots you guys have mentioned, i went to the durham courthouse recently. there is still the one bench there, and it is really fun, but not really worth the gnarly bust factor. this spot was probably fucking AMAZING in it's prime though. i agree with you on 3rd and army gipper, i remember going there and not liking it, but getting used to it and loving it. if you're ever in philly again we should meet up and skate.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 01:08:31 PM »
Probably the most blown out and overexposed spot of all time, but Pier 7 was amazing and I'd probably be content to skate that place forever. 

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »
Me and some friends were the first people to wax up bummy town so it could grind! Its fun as fuck, but by the end of a session your board is shredded by that rough ground. I only go there when my board is basically done anyway.

-And I agree with you on the pier bipsmound. Overblown, overexposed, and I don't even like manuals for the most part, but I used to have so much fun at that spot, and I still can't explain it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

angryfacedman

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

where in croatia is that? where are you from?

nice clip and even a clip from slovenia... (last 10 stair)

I'm from Norway. Was visiting Croatia once and met some local skaters. They were really nice and took me too some spots. This spot was in a city called Split. It was by this big statue of a guy with a golden toe, everybody who walks by rubs the golden toe of the statue.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 05:48:11 PM »
B.A.M.

...and Newport

johnn

• Rep: 22
  • twitty
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »
2003 Downtown Winston-Salem: The low, six stair Bridge Rail was here (Scuba Steve nose slides it in Really Sorry), as well as several marble ledges and whatnot all around the big buildings. The best ledge, and consequently the biggest bust, was GMAC. There was a two stair you could do a trick up, then room for a flat ground trick, followed by the most perfect marble planter on the planet. If you get caught skating GMAC today, you will get arrested. The rest of the spots are either skate stopped or shitty nine stairs.

A&T University: It's a historically black campus in Greensboro, NC, and so a lot of the students are less uptight about skating than others -- university police will probably get you eventually, but usually they'll just tell you to leave. If you like stairs, this spot is amazing due to the sheer volume of perfect skate-able sets of varying sizes -- some have handrails, and there is also the occasional ledge or two. The best rail here is a low, round seven stair rail.
are there a lot of spots in winston?
I vaguely recall a big brawl outside with me getting head-butted by Kurtis Colamonico
Club Monaco killin' it

HoovUCDC

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
Brooklyn Banks are so much fun.  don't go to NYC often but it is a must whenever i do go.

pissed i didn't make it out to AZ this summer like i was planning, i was definitely looking forward to hitting up Tempe and Pecos Parks.   Pecos is probably my favorite park i've ever been to.

dtrigiani

• Rep: 26
  • captain
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »
The only famous spot I've ever been to was Venice Beach, and it wasn't that great.

I went on a cruise with my family circa 2004. I forget where we were supposed to stop, but it got rerouted to Toulin, France. There were beautiful ledges everywhere, and I ollied a 3 set into a crowd of cops that were stoked on me skating. I also skated in a trainyard that had a bunch of chains between poles of varying height. The ground was paved and the rails were sunk into the ground. It was kind of sketchy, but that made it even cooler. I was definitely not good enough at skating to appreciate all of the spots, and I'm probably still not good enough, but Toulin had the best spots I've ever seen in real life.

bandini

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »
For some reason I can skate the bank to bench & the hip at 7th St School for hours and never get bored. So many legendary sessions have gone down there, maybe there's just skate vibes in the air or something...

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »
I've never been there, but L.A. High looks like a fun spot, the brick banks and other stuff there looks like so much fun.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 10:24:25 PM »
I've never been there, but L.A. High looks like a fun spot, the brick banks and other stuff there looks like so much fun.
That spot is gay as fuck, but then again, people like you like gay spots.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sorry for enjoying multiple types of skateboarding terrains.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 10:28:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hello homo!

jrock

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 10:42:14 PM »

my favorite spot ever by far.  i spent every weekend there for about 3 years.  i almost cried when I drove up and saw them tearing it down.

New Orleans: 

The Pancakes.  Its a bunch of circular stairs that make little gaps from one set to another.  its been in a bunch of videos over the years.  It was super fun before the entire homeless population of New Orleans decided to start living there.

Sunbasket.  It was the local junk slab and the first place that I skated outside of my shitty little town.  It was also the first place that I saw all of my first skate idols, that would eventually become some of my best friends.

Baton Rouge:

Tranny Walls.  Huge brick vert walls.  Super fun.  Never skated another place like it.

Centroplex.  The best skatespot ever before bmxers fucked up all of the ledges.  It was like our version of Embarcadero.  Smooth brick tiles, ledges for miles, dozens of sets of stairs (3s with ledges going off, 5s, 6s, 8s, 12s, 13s), a double set in front, gaps over rails, gaps over sand, a bump to bar, metal police barricades, and even an underground parking garage with ledges and waxed curbs for when it rained.   The only thing it was missing was air conditioning.