Author Topic: bikes  (Read 121379 times)

rfox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
Re: bikes
« Reply #1020 on: June 07, 2018, 07:11:31 AM »
Love the Flite saddle.  best seat of all time in my opinion.  looked great and felt fine.

Bronson looks fun.  have you run it with an air shock? 

nosneb

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1021 on: June 07, 2018, 08:40:06 AM »
I love the original Flite I have it on all my bikes.
Bronson Ive ridden it with Fox float, then upgraded to Rockshox Monarch and got tired of the drawbacks of air shock so finally full coil.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 387
« Reply #1022 on: June 07, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
a bittersweet goodbye to my 56 schwinn

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:51:04 AM by straight »

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • Stuffed Animal Serial Killer
« Reply #1023 on: June 08, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »
I understand that there are different types of bikes, but what is the allure of a fixed gear? It seems like it would be cool if you were traveling on flat surfaces only. I am confident my understanding is limited.
I like my women the same way I like my personified cups of coffee...black...strong...and proud.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • THEY OWE
« Reply #1024 on: June 08, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »
yea, coasting is the sickest

i don't get the appeal of fixies

nosneb

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1025 on: June 08, 2018, 07:29:22 PM »
Its fun to rip around town once in a while. I dont ride mine often anymore but when I do its interesting to whip it around. Fixed gear bikes teaches you to be smooth and look ahead. I love riding my single speed bike with disc brakes around town the most.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #1026 on: June 08, 2018, 09:08:47 PM »
I miss my single speed a lot,but have been looking at fixed gears to zip about in the summer.

On a side note,do any of you guys spandex up or just wear some padded briefs and shorts? I know getting back on the saddle is going to wreck me for a bit,but enjoy just wearing cut off dickies and a shirt. I never wore a helmet either, but the way I see people drive in my area has sort of changed my mind.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #1027 on: June 09, 2018, 01:05:56 AM »
i spandex up if i go on rides with my road bike. it actually makes a difference, plus i get a great excuse to wear speed shades.
helmet always when on the road, ive seen how people looked like after accidents without one.

and fixies are just hella fun. in the city. wouldnt use it for anywhere else. but there it sometimes gives me the feeling of skating around, because you kinda gotta be alert all the time while actually flowing with traffic.
instagram.com/used_shoe/

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1028 on: June 09, 2018, 01:51:00 PM »
#teamcoasting

Two single speeds with flip flop hubs I've never flipped or flopped.  30 years of skateboarding is not conducive to having the knees for a fixie.  Also, skateboarding already made me a smooth rider.  Or so I think, but clearly multiple times smoother than nonskaters.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • Stuffed Animal Serial Killer
« Reply #1029 on: June 09, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »
How much should be expected for a bike shop completing bike maintenance?  The local shop here didn't have prices on their website and when I went in the guy looked at my bike (which is brand new, rode it 3-5 times, but some shit is loose and I don't have the tools/expertise) and said I needed the "silver tune-up" which is going to be about 70 bucks.  I feel like I am being fleeced.
I like my women the same way I like my personified cups of coffee...black...strong...and proud.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #1030 on: June 09, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
i spandex up if i go on rides with my road bike. it actually makes a difference, plus i get a great excuse to wear speed shades.
helmet always when on the road, ive seen how people looked like after accidents without one.

and fixies are just hella fun. in the city. wouldnt use it for anywhere else. but there it sometimes gives me the feeling of skating around, because you kinda gotta be alert all the time while actually flowing with traffic.
Awesome,thanks man

Grampa

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1031 on: June 09, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
I love riding fixed for city riding or really any route with lots of turns and changes and whatnot. Like others have said, it really is like skateboarding. I ride a road bike on the long, boring, generally flat rides.

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1032 on: July 01, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
How much should be expected for a bike shop completing bike maintenance?  The local shop here didn't have prices on their website and when I went in the guy looked at my bike (which is brand new, rode it 3-5 times, but some shit is loose and I don't have the tools/expertise) and said I needed the "silver tune-up" which is going to be about 70 bucks.  I feel like I am being fleeced.

late response but the only shit i'd pay a bike shop for is very specific stuff ie bottom bracket/headset installations, wheel building etc. pretty much everything else (imo) can be done at home. alot of those "bronze/silver/gold" packages are also a hit in the sense that if anything is found to be broken/damaged/etc they'll most likely expect you to pay for it.

i'd expect a "silver" package to consist of very basic maintenance; checking tire pressures, spoke tensions/true, brake/gear/derailleur alignment, cleaning/lubrication of pivot points/bearings/chain/etc, checking for wear/damage, general cleaning of the bike. basically just shit you could do yourself at home in an afternoon for the first time for about 15 bucks. much cheaper than a local shop and you'll learn way more about how your bike works, plus with the plethora of YT videos out there you can learn/do it all yourself fairly easily.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #1033 on: July 01, 2018, 02:16:02 PM »
I'm on the market for a drop down all-rounder. I've been eying the Kona Rove, but they don't sell them in my size here. Do any of you guys know of any comparable models from other companies?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • THEY OWE
« Reply #1034 on: July 01, 2018, 07:53:06 PM »
Niner makes some sick looking gravel bikes, probably going to set you back quite a bit more than a Kona though.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #1035 on: July 03, 2018, 11:38:32 AM »
Cheers, Ungzilla. They're nice, but yeah, out of my price range.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1036 on: July 05, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »

Awesome,thanks man
Been doin long rides for years an just recently looked into spandex, powder, etc cuz I've had some bad experiences... First time I went through Camp Pendelton they wouldnt let me in without a helmet, thought it was lame at the time but nowadays see the value of havin on... Went on a ride from LB to Oceanside a month ago an afterwards had a boil around my taint that took more than a week to drain out, an was a painful experience to go through. In my professional opinion if u wanna bike long distances comfortably invest in some spandex.

Always thought glasses were 'gay' too but after goin down mountain roads and getting bugs stuck in your eyes I can see why people sport them...

beatifk

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1037 on: July 06, 2018, 12:10:25 AM »
Does anyone make wool or other natural fiber shorts? It's relatively easy to find pure wool jerseys but shorts/bibs are a lot more difficult to find.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1038 on: July 06, 2018, 05:12:39 AM »

Awesome,thanks man
Been doin long rides for years an just recently looked into spandex, powder, etc cuz I've had some bad experiences... First time I went through Camp Pendelton they wouldnt let me in without a helmet, thought it was lame at the time but nowadays see the value of havin on... Went on a ride from LB to Oceanside a month ago an afterwards had a boil around my taint that took more than a week to drain out, an was a painful experience to go through. In my professional opinion if u wanna bike long distances comfortably invest in some spandex.

Always thought glasses were 'gay' too but after goin down mountain roads and getting bugs stuck in your eyes I can see why people sport them...

don't use powder.  get some good shorts/bibs and use some Chamois cream (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/chamois-cream-explained-139014) and don't forget, with cycling shorts you don't wear underwear.  it would defeat the purpose of the shorts

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1039 on: July 07, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
if youre a cheap mfer like me and have a qr seatpost clamp and want fixed you can literally drop the qr mech out of the clamp and replace it with truck mounting bolts.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1040 on: July 07, 2018, 04:23:52 PM »

Awesome,thanks man

don't use powder.  get some good shorts/bibs and use some Chamois cream (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/chamois-cream-explained-139014) and don't forget, with cycling shorts you don't wear underwear.  it would defeat the purpose of the shorts
Thanks for the advice.