Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304732 times)

ungzilla

Re: bikes
« Reply #1020 on: July 01, 2018, 07:53:06 PM »
Niner makes some sick looking gravel bikes, probably going to set you back quite a bit more than a Kona though.

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1021 on: July 03, 2018, 11:38:32 AM »
Cheers, Ungzilla. They're nice, but yeah, out of my price range.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1022 on: July 05, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
Expand Quote
i spandex up if i go on rides with my road bike. it actually makes a difference, plus i get a great excuse to wear speed shades.
helmet always when on the road, i´ve seen how people looked like after accidents without one.

and fixies are just hella fun. in the city. wouldnt use it for anywhere else. but there it sometimes gives me the feeling of skating around, because you kinda gotta be alert all the time while actually flowing with traffic.
[close]
Awesome,thanks man
Been doin long rides for years an just recently looked into spandex, powder, etc cuz I've had some bad experiences... First time I went through Camp Pendelton they wouldnt let me in without a helmet, thought it was lame at the time but nowadays see the value of havin on... Went on a ride from LB to Oceanside a month ago an afterwards had a boil around my taint that took more than a week to drain out, an was a painful experience to go through. In my professional opinion if u wanna bike long distances comfortably invest in some spandex.

Always thought glasses were 'gay' too but after goin down mountain roads and getting bugs stuck in your eyes I can see why people sport them...

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1023 on: July 06, 2018, 12:10:25 AM »
Does anyone make wool or other natural fiber shorts? It's relatively easy to find pure wool jerseys but shorts/bibs are a lot more difficult to find.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1024 on: July 06, 2018, 05:12:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i spandex up if i go on rides with my road bike. it actually makes a difference, plus i get a great excuse to wear speed shades.
helmet always when on the road, i´ve seen how people looked like after accidents without one.

and fixies are just hella fun. in the city. wouldnt use it for anywhere else. but there it sometimes gives me the feeling of skating around, because you kinda gotta be alert all the time while actually flowing with traffic.
[close]
Awesome,thanks man
[close]
Been doin long rides for years an just recently looked into spandex, powder, etc cuz I've had some bad experiences... First time I went through Camp Pendelton they wouldnt let me in without a helmet, thought it was lame at the time but nowadays see the value of havin on... Went on a ride from LB to Oceanside a month ago an afterwards had a boil around my taint that took more than a week to drain out, an was a painful experience to go through. In my professional opinion if u wanna bike long distances comfortably invest in some spandex.

Always thought glasses were 'gay' too but after goin down mountain roads and getting bugs stuck in your eyes I can see why people sport them...

don't use powder.  get some good shorts/bibs and use some Chamois cream (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/chamois-cream-explained-139014) and don't forget, with cycling shorts you don't wear underwear.  it would defeat the purpose of the shorts

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1025 on: July 07, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
if youre a cheap mfer like me and have a qr seatpost clamp and want fixed you can literally drop the qr mech out of the clamp and replace it with truck mounting bolts.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1026 on: July 07, 2018, 04:23:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Awesome,thanks man
[close]

[close]

don't use powder.  get some good shorts/bibs and use some Chamois cream (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/chamois-cream-explained-139014) and don't forget, with cycling shorts you don't wear underwear.  it would defeat the purpose of the shorts
Thanks for the advice.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1027 on: October 15, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »
Over the summer I worked at a bike shop, and I fixed lots of parts which were going to be discarded. Build this beast with those parts for $500ish total. Put 7000 miles in so far this year.

that is  pretty, what group set do you have on there?
I do long rides 50-100k on the regular, spandex shorts with the bib straps are where its at. I rode padded mountain bike shorts for my first year on a rode bike, but when they needed to replaced the shop employee convinced me to buy spandex. I immediately was averaging 1-2 kmph  more.
I really want to get a fixed gear/single speed  for cruising with my wife or for going out drinking.
Anyone know any good brands sold in Canada? There are soo many options.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1028 on: October 15, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
PuffinMuffin that Fuji looks like an absolute machine!

Beeda, what's your budget looking like? It's usually better to go used until you get to a certain price range.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1029 on: October 15, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
PuffinMuffin that Fuji looks like an absolute machine!

Beeda, what's your budget looking like? It's usually better to go used until you get to a certain price range.
500-1000, i don't really want a use bike, I wouldn't buy a used bike off of me, so I don't trust buying a used bike off anyone. I put 10-12,000 km  on my bikes yearly and bikes don't come with "bike facts"

the fuji track seems like nice option,  any good shops in southern Ontario anyone could recommend?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1030 on: October 15, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
Not buying used is honestly a waste of money, as long as you know how inspect everything, there should be no problems, and people take great care of their bikes and then often sell em for far less than what they're worth. Almost all the bike shit I've ever bought has been used and I've never had problems. If you're really not trying to buy used, your best bet is either to buy a Mercier Kilo TT, or to find a Wabi dealer around you and get a Wabi Classic.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1031 on: October 25, 2018, 06:18:10 AM »
  Used means you can get a 26er.  I'm so in love with my 2005 Kona unit single speed freewheel.  I'd never ride anything much different if I had a choice.  I got my friend to fly it out to me with her to Europe for 35 Canadian. Riding that bike feels like it's I'm cumming all the time.  Lots of risers plus riser bars - I can see everything.  Light and indestructible.    You'll leave me in the dust on the flats but uphill/downhill forget about it
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1032 on: October 26, 2018, 06:58:46 AM »
if you're putting 12000km on a bike yearly i take it you're well versed in bikes/repair/etc and for the most part would be able to tell if a bike had noteworthy issues outside of things that would be hard to eyeball ie chain stretch, cassette wear etc. that being said this guy did a good video on what not to do if buying used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhOEKq1vZe4

if i was gonna buy used (from a stranger) i'd definitely want to meet at their house on the off chance something is wrong with it, give it a test ride, check for cracks on welds, spoke tension/trueness etc.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 04:33:57 AM by cosmicgypsies »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1033 on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:08 PM »
I cycled up the steepest street today in the country I live in on my ss mtb this evening.  I was biking by and decided to try it.  On a smaller dose of drugs I guess that might have helped.  Glad I didn't have a stroke .
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #1034 on: October 27, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »
i just picked up two miyata ridge runners from this non profit place. Got two of them for 200$ and they are pretty clean bikes for being made in the 80s

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #1035 on: October 28, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »

I've been planning / saving $$ for a couple years now to ride a big loop around the U.S. (west coast north --> south, southern states to east coast, east coast south --> north, and northern states / canada back to west coast) and I'm finally leaving in January. I've been doing some training rides / weekend camping with all the gear loaded on the bike the last couple months. I'm riding an early 1980s Cannondale touring bike that I got for 200$ on Craigslist, it's really solid and I definitely spent more on bags / backpacking gear than the bike (I'll be camping and not doing hotels almost 100% of the time.) I think I'm just going to get a board out on the east coast so I can skate all the cities I've always wanted to
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:55:27 PM by offkilter »

ungzilla

« Reply #1036 on: October 28, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »
1. i'm jealous that sounds like a sick trip

2. that's gonna be a stiff ride to be on day-in day-out, there's a reason every touring bike sold is made of steel

3. on the other hand you'll have balls of steel afterwards

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #1037 on: October 28, 2018, 04:00:46 PM »
1. i'm jealous that sounds like a sick trip

2. that's gonna be a stiff ride to be on day-in day-out, there's a reason every touring bike sold is made of steel

3. on the other hand you'll have balls of steel afterwards

It actually does have steel forks!

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1038 on: October 28, 2018, 05:14:30 PM »
Sick! I rode from Florida to Austin on a 2000ish version of that bike – Canndondale T800, I think. The stiffness never bothered me. It's kinda nice when it's fully loaded actually.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #1039 on: October 28, 2018, 09:46:54 PM »

I've been planning / saving $$ for a couple years now to ride a big loop around the U.S. (west coast north --> south, southern states to east coast, east coast south --> north, and northern states / canada back to west coast) and I'm finally leaving in January. I've been doing some training rides / weekend camping with all the gear loaded on the bike the last couple months. I'm riding an early 1980s Cannondale touring bike that I got for 200$ on Craigslist, it's really solid and I definitely spent more on bags / backpacking gear than the bike (I'll be camping and not doing hotels almost 100% of the time.) I think I'm just going to get a board out on the east coast so I can skate all the cities I've always wanted to

wow that sounds so fun and so gnarly. That setup is so sick also!

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1040 on: October 31, 2018, 11:39:38 AM »

thats so gnarly, are you bringing  a gps? uploading your data? I assume you are bringing a few pairs of padded shorts?

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1041 on: October 31, 2018, 11:43:27 AM »
anyone here bought a bianchi pista? I want to get a track/fixed gear bike for commuting to work and cruising with my wife. I really want the Bianchi pista because its soo sexy, but I also like the Fuji track, specialized langster and the cinelli tipo pista. I know that I will be modding almost anything that I buy. I know there is a big price difference between my preferences.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #1042 on: October 31, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »
anyone here bought a bianchi pista? I want to get a track/fixed gear bike for commuting to work and cruising with my wife. I really want the Bianchi pista because its soo sexy, but I also like the Fuji track, specialized langster and the cinelli tipo pista. I know that I will be modding almost anything that I buy. I know there is a big price difference between my preferences.

Bianchi pistas always look good and I wish I had one. I used to have a Fuji track. I slowly swapped all the components out for better ones and I loved it. I think for the price they make for a really solid frame if you're going to be modding it.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1043 on: October 31, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
the pista is a really nice frame but comes with pretty blah, wheels, tires, seat and bar and components.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1044 on: October 31, 2018, 06:01:31 PM »

Langster rides nice but it's whatever.  Bianchi does have a parts issue, but looks good.

Just looked up that cinelli, and I like it a lot.  That led to a link of a ss cross bike that looked good and was cheap.  Little bit more versatile.  Depends on what you're looking for.

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/bicycles/products/warhawk-gravel-cx-bike-olive-smoke-black
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Kel Varnsen

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1045 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »

This sounds amazing. Are you planning on documenting this online or anything - either real time or after the trip is over? I'd be really interested to see how things are going / how they went.

Expand Quote
[close]

Bianchi pistas always look good and I wish I had one. I used to have a Fuji track. I slowly swapped all the components out for better ones and I loved it. I think for the price they make for a really solid frame if you're going to be modding it.

I worked with a guy that rode 10 miles to work everyday on a Bianchi Pista. He loved it, and you're right, it's one attractive bicycle. I had a Fuji track bike and it was great. Very reasonable price for the quality you get. I liked it enough that after I sold it I switched to a Fuji flat-bar road bike to commute to work occasionally. I've never gone so far as to mod any parts and I've never had any problems. I think Fuji makes a great quality product, that while might not be as sexy as a Pista, still looks pretty good.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1046 on: November 01, 2018, 08:45:26 AM »
Thank you for your input, I agree, both bikes are pretty nice, I am starting to learn towards the cheaper Fuji because I am also planning on upgrading my cannondale super six 105 to something with ultegra or dura ace.

ungzilla

« Reply #1047 on: November 01, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
Any reason? I worked in bike shops for a long time and there is no difference in the performance of anything from 105 and nicer that is easily discernible. You're just paying for a few less grams and fancier materials and finish, or maybe an extra cog in the back. If you're racing and shit that's fine and understandable, but if you just ride for fitness or whatever it's kinda opposite to your goal... I put the heaviest and most durable stuff on my commuter bike, more of a workout and eventually it doesn't feel heavy.

If you're set on upgrading anyway, hopefully because your drivetrain is just worn out, I would definitely go Ultegra over Dura-Ace, the second highest tier group is usually pretty good bang for the buck, but the highest tier is always the worst bang for the buck... it will cost literally twice as much and the only thing you get is, idk, a couple hundred grams of weight savings.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:57:20 AM by ungzilla »

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1048 on: November 01, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »

This is so sick. I'm currently planning a cross-country bike trip for next year, around May. The route is going to be LA to NY, I'm just not sure which side of the country I am going to start on (I live in LA so it may be nice to end here and just go home). Do you know how long that route will take you? I'm planning about 7 weeks to go straight across. Also wondering if you're concerned in starting the middle of winter? That's my main reason for starting in the Spring.

And as someone else said, I hope you document this online (if not, post up your IG if you comfortable).
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1049 on: November 01, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
Any reason? I worked in bike shops for a long time and there is no difference in the performance of anything from 105 and nicer that is easily discernible. You're just paying for a few less grams and fancier materials and finish, or maybe an extra cog in the back. If you're racing and shit that's fine and understandable, but if you just ride for fitness or whatever it's kinda opposite to your goal... I put the heaviest and most durable stuff on my commuter bike, more of a workout and eventually it doesn't feel heavy.

If you're set on upgrading anyway, hopefully because your drivetrain is just worn out, I would definitely go Ultegra over Dura-Ace, the second highest tier group is usually pretty good bang for the buck, but the highest tier is always the worst bang for the buck... it will cost literally twice as much and the only thing you get is, idk, a couple hundred grams of weight savings.
I just want to upgrade my bike. I like the 105 groupset. My current frame is a 2017 frame, i cracked my original 2016 frame which had a really nice dull metal finish and I don't really like the way the new bike looks. I don't have kids so wasting my money is pretty fun.
I have worn out  my drive train quite a bit, I do about 10-12,000 km per year, replaced many cassettes and my rear derailleur. I guess I just wanna keep up with the Jones of bike riding...ok!