Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304816 times)

artskool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bikes
« Reply #990 on: April 13, 2018, 11:36:00 AM »
Yeah, obviously there's some junk up there too. I've built a bunch of bikes, though truing wheels etc. is definitely out of my league. Maybe a better question is, if I have a frame/fork I like what's the best way for me to get the rest of the parts without spending too much money? Or, should I just suck it up and get a Shimano 105 grupo and scrounge some wheels up somewhere?

prices aren't that great. ie:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington1-xv.htm

listed "700" dollars? yeaaaa right. Thing has fuckin' friction shifters. It's basically a department store road bike.

Also don't forget to factor in the cost of it getting built, a bike shop will charge probably 60-100 (when I worked in bike shops which was ages ago) to assemble a boxed bike. Maybe you can handle that yourself, but a lot of the time these things will come with wheels out of true, loose headsets, etc, and those are more difficult to remedy without some basic bike repair knowledge.

also most bike shops will have some kind of tune up after purchase, because cables will stretch, spokes will settle, etc. also if there is a warranty issue your SOL with a place like this... well maybe not totally but it's a bear to deal with remotely.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #991 on: April 13, 2018, 02:45:04 PM »
I really need to get my single speed beater tuned up for the season. I should also buy a helmet this year... I'm old enough now that I shouldn't be stupid

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #992 on: April 15, 2018, 07:30:31 PM »
Bikes Direct is a solid reliable site as long as you know what you're getting

I really need to get my single speed beater tuned up for the season. I should also buy a helmet this year... I'm old enough now that I shouldn't be stupid
Almost never wear a helmet when I skate but always when I bike. Cars are crazy dude.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #993 on: April 16, 2018, 05:17:25 AM »
always cycle with my helmet, would never wear one on skateboard.

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #994 on: April 16, 2018, 12:10:27 PM »
always cycle with my helmet, would never wear one on skateboard.
Same. I trust myself I just don't trust cars. Cycling in Paris is hectic; there's not one day where I don't have to slam the brakes for one reason or the other.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #995 on: April 18, 2018, 04:46:32 AM »
Recently rebuilt my Lynskey titanium road bike from the frame up.  It has over 8,000 miles on it and still looks brand new after rebrushing the frame

I sold my Santa Cruz 5010 and picked up this Trek Fuel EX

And then I have this when I don't feel like pedaling

ungzilla

« Reply #996 on: April 18, 2018, 05:18:34 AM »
i don't see any BMCs in there, "BMC"STEVE", IF that's your real name

i'm onto you

BMCsteve

« Reply #997 on: April 18, 2018, 06:37:13 AM »
i don't see any BMCs in there, "BMC"STEVE", IF that's your real name

i'm onto you

haha!  I had a BMC Streetfire back in the day.  Loved that bike

of

• Rep: -2
  • fuck of
« Reply #998 on: May 07, 2018, 01:40:18 PM »
Anybody listen to cat 6 chismes? Pretty entertaining podcast similar to the bunt about crits, alley cats, and all that type shit.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #999 on: May 08, 2018, 07:42:39 AM »
Recently rebuilt my Lynskey titanium road bike from the frame up.  It has over 8,000 miles on it and still looks brand new after rebrushing the frame

How did you rebrush the lynsky?  I have a merlin and a litespeed that could using some cleaning.

Also how are you liking the fuel in comparison to the 5010?  I demoed a fuel but cracked the rear triangle so am somewhat wary of carbon.  Thinking about sticking with aluminum and trying a guerrilla gravity.  interested in the slack geometry

BMCsteve

« Reply #1000 on: May 08, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How did you rebrush the lynsky?  I have a merlin and a litespeed that could using some cleaning.

Also how are you liking the fuel in comparison to the 5010?  I demoed a fuel but cracked the rear triangle so am somewhat wary of carbon.  Thinking about sticking with aluminum and trying a guerrilla gravity.  interested in the slack geometry

I stripped the bike down the frame, removed the decals with acetone and then hand brushed the entire frame.  I then went through and degreased/regreased the BB and head tube.  Put the bike back together with some new bars, seat and drivetrain parts. 

Here's a video on removing the decals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0isrEIysoWA&t=17s

and another for brushing the frame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVxhlPnEY8A

You can then order a new decal site directly from Litespeed or ebay

I LOVE the Fuel.  Mine is all aluminum.  The next step up has an aluminum main triangle and an aluminum rear.  The good thing about Trek is their warranty is amazing.  Lifetime of the frame and almost no questions asked on replacements as long as you're the original owner.

The 5010 was a great bike too but I just couldn't get down with the 27.5 wheels after previously being on a 29er. 

If you're thinking about an aluminum FS 29er, the Fuel EX8 is the best deal around in my opinion.  full Sram Eagle for $3k
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:54:42 AM by BMCsteve »

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #1001 on: May 30, 2018, 02:42:36 PM »
finally got a bike again after not having a street bike for the longest time.

It's an ~78 DBS Winner frame with various parts that someone had built as a return to the workforce after prison kinda program, so I paid $48 for it. Basically a steal considering that the bars alone are ~$40 and it had new wheels. I put a front break on it and painted it black because it had some shitty fucking blue and red painted job with a shitty stencil that said "LA" on the font where the emblem used to be.
Going to put some flat BMX pedals on it one day and sew some straps for them and I'm thinking of getting a front cargo rack for it.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #1002 on: June 04, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »

Bought this last week.
did a 30 mile ride and a 37 mile ride today.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #1003 on: June 05, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »
I got a mtb bike last week and did 24 miles over 4 days. I couldn't ride the 5th day. How long does it take to break in my ass and is there anything I can do to break my ass in faster? I can't imagine riding 30 miles in one go.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #1004 on: June 05, 2018, 07:41:33 PM »
more lube

nosneb

« Reply #1005 on: June 05, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
Some of my whips
Santa Cruz Bronson Pushed fork and Elevensix shock

Allcity Machoman SRAM Force stuff and Paul stuff

BMW Gangsta

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1006 on: June 07, 2018, 07:11:31 AM »
Love the Flite saddle.  best seat of all time in my opinion.  looked great and felt fine.

Bronson looks fun.  have you run it with an air shock? 

nosneb

« Reply #1007 on: June 07, 2018, 08:40:06 AM »
I love the original Flite I have it on all my bikes.
Bronson Ive ridden it with Fox float, then upgraded to Rockshox Monarch and got tired of the drawbacks of air shock so finally full coil.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1008 on: June 07, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
a bittersweet goodbye to my 56’ schwinn

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:51:04 AM by straight »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: June 08, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »
I understand that there are different types of bikes, but what is the allure of a fixed gear? It seems like it would be cool if you were traveling on flat surfaces only. I am confident my understanding is limited.

Never forget:

ungzilla

« Reply #1010 on: June 08, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »
yea, coasting is the sickest

i don't get the appeal of fixies

nosneb

« Reply #1011 on: June 08, 2018, 07:29:22 PM »
Its fun to rip around town once in a while. I dont ride mine often anymore but when I do its interesting to whip it around. Fixed gear bikes teaches you to be smooth and look ahead. I love riding my single speed bike with disc brakes around town the most.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #1012 on: June 08, 2018, 09:08:47 PM »
I miss my single speed a lot,but have been looking at fixed gears to zip about in the summer.

On a side note,do any of you guys spandex up or just wear some padded briefs and shorts? I know getting back on the saddle is going to wreck me for a bit,but enjoy just wearing cut off dickies and a shirt. I never wore a helmet either, but the way I see people drive in my area has sort of changed my mind.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1013 on: June 09, 2018, 01:05:56 AM »
i spandex up if i go on rides with my road bike. it actually makes a difference, plus i get a great excuse to wear speed shades.
helmet always when on the road, i´ve seen how people looked like after accidents without one.

and fixies are just hella fun. in the city. wouldnt use it for anywhere else. but there it sometimes gives me the feeling of skating around, because you kinda gotta be alert all the time while actually flowing with traffic.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1014 on: June 09, 2018, 01:51:00 PM »
#teamcoasting

Two single speeds with flip flop hubs I've never flipped or flopped.  30 years of skateboarding is not conducive to having the knees for a fixie.  Also, skateboarding already made me a smooth rider.  Or so I think, but clearly multiple times smoother than nonskaters.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1015 on: June 09, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »
How much should be expected for a bike shop completing bike maintenance?  The local shop here didn't have prices on their website and when I went in the guy looked at my bike (which is brand new, rode it 3-5 times, but some shit is loose and I don't have the tools/expertise) and said I needed the "silver tune-up" which is going to be about 70 bucks.  I feel like I am being fleeced.

Never forget:

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #1016 on: June 09, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
i spandex up if i go on rides with my road bike. it actually makes a difference, plus i get a great excuse to wear speed shades.
helmet always when on the road, i´ve seen how people looked like after accidents without one.

and fixies are just hella fun. in the city. wouldnt use it for anywhere else. but there it sometimes gives me the feeling of skating around, because you kinda gotta be alert all the time while actually flowing with traffic.
Awesome,thanks man

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #1017 on: June 09, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
I love riding fixed for city riding or really any route with lots of turns and changes and whatnot. Like others have said, it really is like skateboarding. I ride a road bike on the long, boring, generally flat rides.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1018 on: July 01, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
How much should be expected for a bike shop completing bike maintenance?  The local shop here didn't have prices on their website and when I went in the guy looked at my bike (which is brand new, rode it 3-5 times, but some shit is loose and I don't have the tools/expertise) and said I needed the "silver tune-up" which is going to be about 70 bucks.  I feel like I am being fleeced.

late response but the only shit i'd pay a bike shop for is very specific stuff ie bottom bracket/headset installations, wheel building etc. pretty much everything else (imo) can be done at home. alot of those "bronze/silver/gold" packages are also a hit in the sense that if anything is found to be broken/damaged/etc they'll most likely expect you to pay for it.

i'd expect a "silver" package to consist of very basic maintenance; checking tire pressures, spoke tensions/true, brake/gear/derailleur alignment, cleaning/lubrication of pivot points/bearings/chain/etc, checking for wear/damage, general cleaning of the bike. basically just shit you could do yourself at home in an afternoon for the first time for about 15 bucks. much cheaper than a local shop and you'll learn way more about how your bike works, plus with the plethora of YT videos out there you can learn/do it all yourself fairly easily.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #1019 on: July 01, 2018, 02:16:02 PM »
I'm on the market for a drop down all-rounder. I've been eying the Kona Rove, but they don't sell them in my size here. Do any of you guys know of any comparable models from other companies?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud