Author Topic: Jeremy Klein  (Read 33546 times)

Gest

Re: Jeremy Klein
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2006, 01:23:34 PM »
The main difference between Gonz and Klein's kookiness is that Gonz isn't meanspirited, and just kinda does his own crazy thing, whereas Klein is just being an arrogant asshole. I wouldn't call Gonz an arrogant asshole, but it fits Klein. Huge difference. As for Gonz's skating, his shit has been epic since video days. That wasn't his last amazing part, contrary to popular belief. Watch his part in "Kicked out of everywhere," that may be his best part ever. Honestly, if you watch a Gonz part 5 years after its made, the shit you thought was just him being crazy and wierd back then, will blow your mind today.  Gonz may not have the most raw talent, but he has an eye and a brain for skating that is always leaps and bounds ahead of the curve. Its like Rodney pulling 360 flips in the 80's. Nobody knew what to make of it then, but now we realize how epic his shit was. Jeremy Klein on the other hand, his shit was really good, but its cooled off a while ago. I can see bonelesses coming back after krooked kronichles. Also, Gonz has a whole bunch of other sponsors besides the board company he runs.
I agree that Chris Miller doesn't get as much respect as he deserves, but it might have to do with the fact that he skates vert.
For the last decade, Gonz's part in Real to reel is quite good, and I really enjoyed the shit he did in the 4 star video. As for tricks he invented, its hard to say. He's really just doing his own thing. In the krooked video I remember him doing a stalefish boneless to lipslide down a handrail. I'm pretty sure thats a first. If you think about it, its an insane trick too, something that I don't think somebody would have done anyway if he hadn't, but his parts are full of crazy, out there shit that nobody has or will do ever. One thing you gotta realize though is that Gonz takes risks with the coverage he puts out there. Sometimes the shit you see of him is lame, but other shit is mind blowing. There's nothing cool about nosepicks over and over again.
that was one of the best posts ive ever read on here

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2006, 01:26:03 PM »
Expand Quote
It doesn't matter when it came out, it's still fresh to this day.
[close]

nah, it's pretty dated.

It's not dated. It never gets boring.

Expand Quote
It's hard to understand why someone doesn't find him rad. Those dudes Donnie mentioned don't skate anymore or rarely skate.
[close]

i get the impression gonz doesn't really skate much these days either, chris miller for one, i would guess skates as least as much.
I had the same impression, but he did put out a part for the Krooked vid...

Expand Quote
Gonz is still pro and keeps putting out rad parts and new tricks, and he's been doing it since what, 1986? So fuck the principle and enjoy some original skating from someone who still has the drive to progress after 20+ years.
[close]
he's pro for his own company, what rad parts and new tricks? name one of each from this decade.

He has a company from one of the biggest skate manufacturers, it's not like he's running it out of his cubicle during lunch hour. His part in Real To Reel was good, can't remember any tricks since I haven't seen it in years but I was stoked on it.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2006, 01:26:39 PM »
Ok everyone needs to have a look at the video thread and have a look at the footage i posted of Gonz IN 1987 THEN YOU'LL SEE HOW FAR AHEAD HE WAS

Ok i've never been a Gonz fan, i perfered Natas, he was a street skater, he seldom had ramp parts (until him and Jim did the mini-ramp section) he always had street parts, every other rider had ramp parts, the nearest ramp to me when i started was 3 hours away and when you're 13 and jsut starting going there isn't happening.

Anyway my point is, i perfer Natas.

Gonz had been banging out the same stuff footage wise (just now on a long board) since his last section in the Real video, so what's that like 7 years ?

I'll watch it, hence posting so much Gonz stuff as of late (because other people like it and not sharing is selfish, even if i don't like it myself), but i'm just not a Gonz fan.

As sacreligious as it might sound, in Video Days, Mariano, Richter, Johnson and Lee had parts that i thought were fucking amazing and i watched and watched a million times but Gonz nah - didn't really care for it, sorry fast forward him, never really felt him or his style, but hey, that just me, some people don't like peanut M&M's is do it's personal taste

However he's keep skatign and never really stopped and that's what rad about him, i just don't like his wackyness or style that much
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:30:03 PM by donnie_murdo »
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

your mom

• Rep: 26
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2006, 01:30:47 PM »
gonz=best style in skateboarding

ctsskate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2006, 02:10:04 PM »
Now you're just getting ridiculous.

Duffy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • talkin mad shit kid
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2006, 02:23:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Now you're just getting ridiculous.
Best mob flip ever... what part did he have that he goes 'bout to attack this double set YO' in? that's (IMO) his best part.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2006, 02:42:18 PM »
what magazine?

if you still have it, you should totally make a scan. i would be stoked forever on that.

I don't have a copy anymore, but I did see the same seq floating around not long ago.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2006, 02:50:45 PM »
Expand Quote
The main difference between Gonz and Klein's kookiness is that Gonz isn't meanspirited, and just kinda does his own crazy thing, whereas Klein is just being an arrogant asshole. I wouldn't call Gonz an arrogant asshole, but it fits Klein. Huge difference. As for Gonz's skating, his shit has been epic since video days. That wasn't his last amazing part, contrary to popular belief. Watch his part in "Kicked out of everywhere," that may be his best part ever. Honestly, if you watch a Gonz part 5 years after its made, the shit you thought was just him being crazy and wierd back then, will blow your mind today.  Gonz may not have the most raw talent, but he has an eye and a brain for skating that is always leaps and bounds ahead of the curve. Its like Rodney pulling 360 flips in the 80's. Nobody knew what to make of it then, but now we realize how epic his shit was. Jeremy Klein on the other hand, his shit was really good, but its cooled off a while ago. I can see bonelesses coming back after krooked kronichles. Also, Gonz has a whole bunch of other sponsors besides the board company he runs.
I agree that Chris Miller doesn't get as much respect as he deserves, but it might have to do with the fact that he skates vert.
For the last decade, Gonz's part in Real to reel is quite good, and I really enjoyed the shit he did in the 4 star video. As for tricks he invented, its hard to say. He's really just doing his own thing. In the krooked video I remember him doing a stalefish boneless to lipslide down a handrail. I'm pretty sure thats a first. If you think about it, its an insane trick too, something that I don't think somebody would have done anyway if he hadn't, but his parts are full of crazy, out there shit that nobody has or will do ever. One thing you gotta realize though is that Gonz takes risks with the coverage he puts out there. Sometimes the shit you see of him is lame, but other shit is mind blowing. There's nothing cool about nosepicks over and over again.
[close]

i would say gonz is definitely arrogant, his company and their video are completely based on his personality. he must think it's a pretty great personality to have done that.

i think it was just a regular boneless.

i have no beef with gonz, i think he was at least as important to the development of skating as natas, mullen, hawk, howell, klein, vallely et al.

It is a bean plant to lipslide.
Gonz and Natas where leaps and bounds ahead of Valley, he was influenced by them. I am sure Ocean would laugh at you for saying he  influenced skating as much as Gonz (not a knock at Ocean, I was room mates with him for a summer and he is a rad person).
Hawk's influence is limited to vert skating, Mullen did tricks standing still, where as Gonz and Natas took them and made them rolling tricks.

And Chris Miller has a lot of footage as of late, someone posted a small part of his in the video thread, he was always a amazing skater and still is to this day.

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2006, 02:55:24 PM »
sometimes i just shake my head, i really do.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »
Can I add Gonz had a switch contest run in the rain in wait for it, keep waiting....

fuckingvegan

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »

Me too, I hope I wasn't this dumb when I was a newbie skater. But I am sure I was.

the iron monkey

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2006, 03:17:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i would say gonz is definitely arrogant, his company and their video are completely based on his personality. he must think it's a pretty great personality to have done that.

i have no beef with gonz, i think he was at least as important to the development of skating as natas, mullen, hawk, howell, klein, vallely et al.
[close]

Gonz and Natas where leaps and bounds ahead of Valley, he was influenced by them. I am sure Ocean would laugh at you for saying he  influenced skating as much as Gonz (not a knock at Ocean, I was room mates with him for a summer and he is a rad person).
Hawk's influence is limited to vert skating, Mullen did tricks standing still, where as Gonz and Natas took them and made them rolling tricks.

And Chris Miller has a lot of footage as of late, someone posted a small part of his in the video thread, he was always a amazing skater and still is to this day.

andy, not ocean.

the iron monkey

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2006, 03:26:18 PM »

you can fuck right off.

you're a fat dude with a beard whose self-appointed nick name is the gonz.

are you serious?

fuckingvegan

« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2006, 03:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

andy, not ocean.

Ah I see, Andy well he still was influenced by Gonz and Natas.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2006, 03:48:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you can fuck right off.

are you serious?

Name calling is lame.  Plus I am a fat dude with a beard as well and take offense at that, though my nickname is Natas......
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 03:56:12 PM by fuckingvegan »

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2006, 03:50:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

you can fuck right off.

are you serious?
[close]

Name calling is lame.

Ahh fartbum !

fuckingvegan

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2006, 03:56:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

you can fuck right off.

are you serious?
[close]

Name calling is lame.
[close]

Ahh fartbum !
he he

the iron monkey

« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2006, 04:07:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

you can fuck right off.

are you serious?
[close]

Name calling is lame.  Plus I am a fat dude with a beard as well and take offense at that, though my nickname is Natas......

nice edit.

msn with paul?

fuckingvegan

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2006, 04:08:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

you can fuck right off.

are you serious?
[close]

[close]

nice edit.

msn with paul?

I would fight a tiger for Paul. But in a vegan kind of way of course.

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2006, 04:16:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

you can fuck right off.

are you serious?
[close]

[close]

nice edit.

msn with paul?
[close]

I would fight a tiger for Paul. But in a vegan kind of way of course.

What with the stench of Vegan veggie farts ?

I'm not sure what would be worse !

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2006, 07:02:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Whos personality should he have based his company on? Or should he have just done it based on marketting research like Nike?
Its good to hear that you have no beef with the Gonz. It sounded like you did, but I'm glad that even if you thought you did you came to your senses. I do think that the only guys up there as legendary as Gonz are Natas, Mullen, and Hawk, those guys are like our forefathers or some shit. Somebody needs to make Mount Skatemore.

Since it was brought up though, I do think Natas deserves more love than he gets. That ON video with him is off the hook. My favorite profile they did by far.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

fuckingvegan

« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2006, 07:03:41 PM »
Natas choose to be out of the limelight and I think it is a shame, his couple tricks in the Element world tour where amazing.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2006, 07:08:59 PM »
Natas choose to be out of the limelight and I think it is a shame, his couple tricks in the Element world tour where amazing.
True, but still, dude is the shit. I just hope kids don't forget about him. They need to have a book or something of all the people, places, and events that people should know about if they skate.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

stolengirlfriend

« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2006, 07:11:55 PM »
Did Natas leave Element or was he kicked off?

« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2006, 07:16:08 PM »
Damn.....all of this Natas talk has got me feeling nostalgic.....I think it's about time to blast that old Firehose album.....oh Captian.....there are doubts....

fuckingvegan

« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2006, 07:19:12 PM »
Did Natas leave Element or was he kicked off?

He left to start Design Aquriam (sp?).

fuckingvegan

« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2006, 07:19:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
True, but still, dude is the shit. I just hope kids don't forget about him. They need to have a book or something of all the people, places, and events that people should know about if they skate.

Word

magnet

• Rep: 2
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2006, 08:23:54 PM »
Designarium?  Seemed like a waste to produce limited edition decks which aren't really meant to be ridden but that's just me.  Besides most of the guys from Element when he got on are gone and the rest of them got owned by him with parts he filmed before they were born.

Either way it's better to bow out early and leave people wanting more rather than have them constantly griping on how they're milking it.

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2006, 12:42:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

you can fuck right off.

are you serious?
[close]

[close]

nice edit.

msn with paul?

first i've heard of it is now. did i touch a nerve? oh, ever so sorry. man hugs in the mail

Bruce Wayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2006, 05:59:02 AM »
They need to have a book or something of all the people, places, and events that people should know about if they skate.

ON Video was the best attempt at that.  What happened to it?
sometimes the "things" and "friends" you enjoy the most, will hurt you the most, and play an ultimate factor in how you leave this earth.
-sheffledge
half of you probably cant even tre.