Author Topic: College drop out success stories  (Read 4740 times)

bumptobar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
College drop out success stories
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:40:23 PM »
has anyone dropped out of college and still came through a success on here?

Anyone regret spending all the money in college to just live like a bum afterwards?

I dunno lately ive been thinking college is just a waste of time and money for me.  I know i dont plan to lead an expensive life, and dont see myself pursuing my major. I think I would rather live with little money and do what i want than fall into this life encompassing career that i dont even like.

Whats your guys thoughts?

frisco

Re: College drop out success stories
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:42:40 PM »
I will eventually be successful, I dropped out after 2 years. Then transfered to another University the next year, graduate this april.

tiger woods

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:47:31 PM »
has anyone dropped out of college and still came through a success on here?

Anyone regret spending all the money in college to just live like a bum afterwards?

I dunno lately ive been thinking college is just a waste of time and money for me.  I know i dont plan to lead an expensive life, and dont see myself pursuing my major. I think I would rather live with little money and do what i want than fall into this life encompassing career that i dont even like.

Whats your guys thoughts?

i couldn't agree with you more, and the shitty thing is today is my first day of class, only taking 1 but that's all i need to get my AA. i don't think i'm going to pursue a university education however.

YourNut

• Rep: 25
  • I'll always be....Your Nut...
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:04:07 PM »
Depends how you define success. I would define it as doing what you love and not basing all your decsions on money. so that when your 50 you can look back and be happy.

I did 3 semesters of college and bailed. I am really not stressing going to college. I am just trying to have a good time, do what I love (skating) and keeping myself open to everything. Even going back to college if thats where my life goes. When you don't have alot of money you realize how much you actaully don't need that costs so much $$. You'll live.

Other the other side, since the world is ending 2012 college isnt really worth it....

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »
Depends how you define success. I would define it as doing what you love and not basing all your decsions on money. so that when your 50 you can look back and be happy.

I did 3 semesters of college and bailed. I am really not stressing going to college. I am just trying to have a good time, do what I love (skating) and keeping myself open to everything. Even going back to college if thats where my life goes. When you don't have alot of money you realize how much you actaully don't need that costs so much $$. You'll live.

Other the other side, since the world is ending 2012 college isnt really worth it....
git that nut
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:24:56 PM »
kanye and bill gates did ok. and if you dont mind dressing funny and jumping down big shit you can get rich as fuck through skateboarding.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »

Exactly

BabyKillaSeason

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
    • AnotherDudeWithABlog avatar image
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:05:40 PM »
i have only completed one semester of college, but i will say i enjoyed it and am looking forward to the coming semesters.  i believe its a good life experience.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »
I feel like I'm using university more as an (expensive) opportunity to take another 4 years to get myself sorted out before I have to seriously take a direction in my life. The real world scares me.

j0rdan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 07:00:59 PM »
I dropped out, it rules

gravel pitch

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »
If you're one of these retards who's majoring in some bullshit buisiness degree thinking you're gonna make bank with an easy desk job, then drop out. Chances are you'll never get the position you want and you'll be fucking miserable.

If you're majoring in something you actually have an interest in, then stay in school. Me personally I'm majoring in computer science, and I hope once I finish my two year degree to move on to a four year school and learn more programming. That might change though, which is why I'm going for my two year degree first. I might go into networking if I decide programming might be a little dull for me. Actually I'd really like to get into game design but that's something i'd have to look into more. Either way though, for me it's a good choice because I've always liked the technical side to computers, knowing how shit actually works and not just knowing how to use it.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »
for those in business and marketing, drop out. try and better the world, not make it even worse
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
i finished university 4ish years ago... still haven't got a cent to my name and i don't use my degree at all (wanted to work in local government doing recreation/youth development... mainly to get good skate parks built etc, but it didn't work out)... but i'm enjoying my current life situation

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:04 PM »
I'd say getting a BA or BS is worth it even if you don't like your major. College degrees open doors even outside your area of study.

I got a bullshit fine art degree and decided my senior year I hated the business side of fine art and didn't like the stress of having to pay the bill through art only. So I finished my degree and then found teaching jobs overseas that only required a college degree. I took off and taught in Eastern Europe for two years and then China for two years and had my mind blown. 16 hours of teaching a week, an apartment paid for, benefits, and enough money to travel--it was a sweet gig.

I didn't have money to travel like that without the teaching gigs so I couldn't have done it without a degree.

Then I came back and went to grad school to kill time while my wife finished med school all on student loans but now have a job I love. I home every day by 3pm and get summers/Christmas break off. And I get to teach college classes here and there which is fun and is good money.

I could have easily gone the college drop out rate and would probably be doing construction which would be alright. But my lifestyle/working situation is way better because I've got a couple degrees.

Pelican

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 08:21:22 PM »
the only reason i'm going to college is so i can go into debt and then have a reason to get a job.

Chad Fernandez

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »
DROP OF A BRIDGE HIPSTER FUCKS

Jura

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:05 PM »

Why cant i fucking embed this vid!!??

pube tube

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 08:45:09 PM »
im glad im sticking it out and finishing, even if it is going to take me an extra semester or two. having a degree is something that can never be taken away from me, and going to college is allowing me to be a kid for another four years...no taxes, free health insurance, and even time left over to skate.

with that being said, i plan to keep working full time at the skate shop even after i graduate.

Livin The Psychedelic Lif

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 09:38:43 PM »
im glad im sticking it out and finishing, even if it is going to take me an extra semester or two. having a degree is something that can never be taken away from me, and going to college is allowing me to be a kid for another four years...no taxes, free health insurance, and even time left over to skate.

with that being said, i plan to keep working full time at the skate shop even after i graduate.

hellz yeah!
I plan to stay in skateboarding one way or another.

that is my happiness.

Gest

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »
BEN & JERRY

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »
just finish it up. you'll have a bachelors degree, which seems like it's becoming the modern GED. plus, if down the line you want to go back to school you can get a masters or whatever. don't fuck future you.

ahlee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 05:44:06 AM »
i might go back to highschool

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »
I dropped out of high school and took my ACT & GED to get into college when I found out I couldn't get into the Army. I spent a few years at college, majoring in English initially... then I got re-interested in computers, changed majors, and found a job in the field (right before the dot com bubble burst was felt here), left school and never looked back. I had to hustle my skillset for a while, but I wound up making it way better than I ever thought I would. I get to be the geek that I am for a living, and my job lets me get into both left and right brain modes.
I feel very fortunate to be where I am... I pretty much just stumbled into the field, but I'm stoked... the bills are getting paid, I get to witness the Louisiana political machine up close, and I get to do what I'd be doing in my free time for the benefit of my state. Super stoked, but I wouldn't want to freelance on the level that I did when I was coming up. Full time freelancers in the IT world work 25 hours a day.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:25:25 PM by grimcity »

yeah dude!

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »
I would just take some time to find what it is you want to do. Once you do, you'll enjoy school. I did a couple years of community college, just taking the normal basic shit, and I hated it. Once I found something I was passionate about, I looked forward to class.

Now I got a great job where I can geek out on the computer all day. And when someone sees me on Slap, I just say I'm asking Grim or Sleazy for some coding advice...

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »
Now I got a great job where I can geek out on the computer all day. And when someone sees me on Slap, I just say I'm asking Grim or Sleazy for some coding advice...
I'll testify to that in court, by the way. I mean, for the record.

TAKE THAT CORPO SPIES

killyridols

• Rep: -6
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 11:35:59 PM »
I went to school for two years. Almost had my Associate's degree. Dropped out due to a sweet job opportunity. I have no regrets but it sucks when the economy goes to shit and you get laid off when all of your friends move off to nice Universities and you're just stuck with your thumbs in your ass and unemployed... I'm going back to school.

To me having a degree just means:

A) Stability
B) Money to use towards travel

With a degree I'd still fuck around and film for a while but having a degree is a good thing to fall back on.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:37:31 PM by killyridols »

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 10:18:11 AM »
I work in film and television in Canada, and basically NOBODY has a degree in this area. The only people who do are the certified tech engineers, but the smartest of which have been trained under someone else's wing. Most people either started out interning, have a degree in something non-related (History, General Arts, etc.)

Granted, college teaches you the basics of the Media Industry, but work ethic and advanced skills are always learned on the job. For people interested in the industry, I always advise them to intern somewhere or to shadow someone's work environment for as long as they can. Some people are good at their jobs, but the atmosphere may not be right for them, so this is why interning is best.

Some people can teach themselves, and some people are better under guidance. But always listen to every lesson of experience.

Again, in areas like Business and Marketing, you need the knowledge before the degrees. I know a Marketing Analyst that could have dropped out early and started young, but is now deep in school debt. The other side is that the same guy probably wouldn't have focused studying it all unless he graduated.

Grades really don't mean much, as long as you're learning. Some people can memorize answers and never apply them into common situations.

I dropped out of a university after getting high and sitting in film screenings for two years, munching on stoner food and listening to a "professor" tell me about Mise En Scene. University did nothing to me because I didn't respect who was teaching me and the course curriculum. I figured they were teaching it because they couldn't do the job in the real world. Bad reasoning, but I didn't want to be a Roger Ebert.

I literally cut my school spending in half by going to a college. Best thing I could have done. I was too green to jump into any work environment, and my professors were actually really knowledgeable and had a ton of work experience under them. The majority of people I see coming to work in my building all come from the same college, so I know that place did something right.

All I can say is make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. Time = Money. If you're not enjoying that time, you're slaving yourself.

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
Couldnt have really gotten a better response.

Im in the same boat you were in.  Taking film classes and only because its really the easiest major i could have picked.  I dont want to be a director and actually dont even like watching movies.  And 3 hour classes where i dont learn a single substantial thing make me so mad, just wasting so much time.

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »
I got around military service and therefore saved a year to bullshit around, which I needed. Studies in Germany are also dirt cheap compared to Canada and the US, I mean, you don't really see a lot of people in debt for their education. So studying to extend the childhood isn't really that decadent.
A lot of reasons to drop out that were mentioned here apply to me. I'm in something business related and I am mostly not the slightest bit interested in the courses I have to take.  But the studies are pretty wide ranged and I can sell them to employers as exactly what they are looking for. And since I don't know what I want to do after I'm done studying, this is a good option for me. I also get to travel a lot through the studies, which was my initial motivation.

Like Nick. said, I also don't plan on living a super fancy life and am comparably modest when it comes to my needs, so I'm not stressed out about not getting the best paid job ever. But with my degree I'm somewhat confident that I can still find a kind decent paid job that will give me enough security.