Author Topic: Moving to Vancouver...  (Read 9406 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Moving to Vancouver...
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 11:14:45 PM »
Vancouver's the best?  Vancouver's the worst?  It's what you make of it...I think....For me Vancouver's sick....mind you I've never lived anywhere else....but lots of the points made here are wrong...

I'm not fat....I don't pay rent...my job's shitty but who's isn't?  it's alot less humid in the summer here than anywhere else....I have been listening to the smiths longer than you but I don't think it makes me any better.....I got TONS of soul!  I got skate buddies too...I make new ones every year....we have an indoor too...

I swear man...you'll never hear me bitch about this place, in fact I'm thankful I live here....the only thing that annoys me is there are alot of complainers but it looks like they got those everywhere....

if you're gonna  move here I can give you some pointers....

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2009, 12:18:32 PM »
Anything would be greatly appreciated.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2009, 01:43:34 PM »
suggest going to victoria, vancouver island is the shit, and if u really have the urge to go to the city its only 2 1/2 hours away. Ill warn you though avoid duncan at all costs.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »
Ok. Most people have told me to go to Victoria, and I can say that I most likely will cause i gotta lot of homies there. But you never known. Both places sound really nice.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:45:13 PM by Canuck »

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »
Ok. Most people have told me to go to Victoria, and I can say that I most likely will cause i gotta lot of homies there. But you never known. Both places sound really nice.
Well if u make ur way to vic city lemme know, we can shred or somethin

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 09:01:29 PM »
Will do. I hear the VicWest park is super fun.

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »
Seems like I am going to be spending the next semester at UBC. I started checking out some rooms on craigslist, but I don´t really know what I am looking for..

How much should I expect to pay for a room in an ok neighborhood? Where should I try to get an apartement?

Help me out guys!

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
OK, I lived in Vancouver from '97 until '04 and have much to say on the topic. If you do go, let me recommend living close as possible to Commercial & 1st. It's a great neighborhood with lots of open-air produce marts, plenty of cheap groceries, and endless cheap take-out possibilities. I get homesick just thinking about it.

Out of a metropolitan population of over 2 million, the number of snotty hipster assholes is only a few hundred—though I will take this opportunity to mention I've been listening to The Smiths since '89. Which is why, to my ears, they're played the fuck out. Anyway, like everywhere else, there are cool people and total douchebags. During my time there I met plenty of über-friendly, easygoing persons that certainly reinforced the laid-back west coast stereotype. (In my own experience, Canadians are, overall, much snottier than Americans anyway.) I have endless stories about pushing around on my skateboard and making new friends instantly—especially girls.

Nowhere else in Canada can you count on enjoying a few sunny, 9°C January days where you can shred in a T-shirt. Sure there's Victoria, but its sleepy reputation isn't for nothing. When you're bored on a Friday night you can always count on a party on the 800 block of Granville. Vancouver's downtown is one of North America's best (I can say this with authority having visited or lived in nearly every major Can/Am city) and will only get even more live when the Canada Line subway/elevated Granville/Cambie/Richmond/Airport train opens this year.

Vancouver's done a great job with city planning considering what a drab shithole the place was in the 1970s. There are lots of happening storefront-sidewalk districts—Broadway and West 4th in Kitsilano, south Granville, Cambie, Main Street, etc.—which is the best measure, in my opinion of any city's value.

I live in Toronto now. It's a true cultural mosaic but it fails to coalesce into an identifiable civic psyche. There are vestiges of the old, WASPy Toronto, but the new Toronto can be defined more as a pastiche of ethnicities under the umbrella of Canadian neurosis. Toronto fancies itself as Canada's answer to NYC, but it's not even on a par with Chicago. The plain brick architecture—with those hideous 1970s horizontally sliding windows—along the former's commercial streets is crude and cheap compared with the impressive terra cotta, bay windows and intricate cornices of the latter.

In that respect, Chicago and Montréal are more similar. Of the three Canuckistan metropolises, Montréal is without a doubt the most flavorful—and, as an added bonus, enjoys the lowest cost-of-living. The skate scene there is robust, yet still impeded by the same issue that vexes Toronto and, to a lesser extent, Vancouver—winter.

Still, if life on four urethane wheels is your thing then there's nowhere else in Canada to go. The lack of an indoor is more than compensated for by the dry, above-freezing winter days you'll be able to enjoy. You can avoid the basement suite issue by living above a storefront (as I did during my 5 years on Commercial) or living in one of those slick glass hi-rises downtown. Having a roommate might literally mean having a roommate, so you might want to bring a pal and shop around for a bunk bed. Still, you can live off buck-a-slice pizza, cheap falafel, free meals at the Sikh and Buddhist temples, and a love of skateboarding. Wow, the more I think about it, the more I'd like to move back.

My most frank advice, however, is to leave Canada altogether and settle in SF, LA, Chi, or NYC. Any of those is a much better city with greater opportunities than any of the of the three Canuckistan cities I mentioned. Greater income potential, lower overall cost of living (apartments are pricey in SF and NYC but most other things—from mobile phone plans to groceries to designer clothing to electronics to car insurance to transit passes to tacos to falafels—are cheaper) and just greater cities overall: culturally, climatically (except Chicago), architecturally (except LA), culinary, etc., etc. No U.S. visa? No problem! Just marry an American girl.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »
Wow, never thought I´d get replies like that. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 10:24:25 PM »
Toronto isn't the Canadian NYC, everyone knows its Moosejaw.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
Update:

I'm staying in Toronto because its awesome and I love Parkdale.

PS.

Chris let's skate as soon as your hip is feeling better.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »
East Coast is DA BEST!

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »
in the last year i have lived in victoria, north van, downtown van. im currently writing an essay wired on coffee so im gonna quickly type out my thoughts in fragmented sentences.

victoria is nice, but its slow as shit. i got real bored real fast, if youre from t.o you might hate it - i want to move there when im 65 but i nearly went crazy out there in 8 months. if you want to just pile smoke weed and skate parks victoria is a nice place for you, the town is very stagnant so if you cant handle that dont go. victoria wants you to settle down.

downtown van wasnt bad but it wasnt great, lots of alleys to skate from your apartment to pretty much anywhere and your choice of shitty cheap bars to grab drinks at. easy to find jobs, relatively easy to find a place if youre motivated, impossible to hang onto any kind of money i went broke. also feels very hollow for some reason, didnt like it as a home.

north vancouver is my favorite. really easy fast access to downtown/plaza/everything but you dont have to live in the middle of it. kind of on the side of a mountain, my house feels more like a cabin than a suburb place. north van has tons of great parks and sweet canyons and rivers you can trek through with friends to fish/cliffjump/be summery. waking up with a coffee and a smoke on a patio that looks onto just trees and mountains then stepping out your front door into the city is the best. lonsdale is also a viable living spot, lots of sweet shops a really fun street park and quick hillbomb to the seabus that takes you across the water to downtown. from there you can get to skateplaza via skytrain in under 10 minutes.

my suggestion to you is apartment on lonsdale or basement suite anywhere in north van/lynn valley because i really dont know your financial situation.

upper lonsdale 2 blocks north of the skatepark:

one of a billion cliff jump/pile areas you can forest walk to in lynn canyon:

section of lonsdale skatepark:

hope this helps a little!

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »
figures the day after i post this its a blizzard

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
I scoff at your beautiful parks and perfect weather.

This is reason to stay in Parkdale.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 02:42:14 AM »
I'm backing Albatross on Lynn Valley--just that one place is a key reason I continue fantasizing about returning to Vancouver. I remember having a picnic with my girlfriend there one summer afternoon and seeing a bear come out of the woods 20 feet behind her back. I calmly said to her, Hey, look behind you--and her gasp was unforgettable. He seemed to be satisfied with our leaves and berries and ended up leaving us and our sandwiches after a few minutes.

East Coast is DA BEST!

Except Toronto isn't on a coast. Halifax is. NYC is. Boston is. Philly is 70 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. But Toronto is a Great Lakes city, which really makes it more midwest than east coast.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
OKAY NERD

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »
My introduction to Parkdale:

On one of the first nights I moved to the neighbourhood me and my roommate got locked on our roof while drinking. We yelled at a crazy dude to come help us, which he did. After helping us out he asked for some money which we gave him. Then we went back on the roof to finish our beers. We watched the crazy dude by crack or something with the money we gave to him on the corner.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 02:55:01 PM »
The hooker that tried to seduce me in the winter got busted on my doorstep last month.

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2009, 03:40:44 PM »

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2009, 04:48:41 PM »
I'm backing Albatross on Lynn Valley--just that one place is a key reason I continue fantasizing about returning to Vancouver. I remember having a picnic with my girlfriend there one summer afternoon and seeing a bear come out of the woods 20 feet behind her back. I calmly said to her, Hey, look behind you--and her gasp was unforgettable. He seemed to be satisfied with our leaves and berries and ended up leaving us and our sandwiches after a few minutes.

Expand Quote
East Coast is DA BEST!
[close]

except Toronto isn't on a East. Halifax is. NYC is. Boston is. Philly is 70 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. But Toronto is a Great Lakes city, which really makes it more midwest than east coast.

This sounds dumb, but when I think of East Coast, I don't think of the Ocean as much as I think of the look and feel of the city.

Claude Tanner

• Rep: 24
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 10:03:41 PM »
Was it the webdreams girl?

Expand Quote
East Coast is DA BEST!
[close]

Except Toronto isn't on a coast. Halifax is. NYC is. Boston is. Philly is 70 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. But Toronto is a Great Lakes city, which really makes it more midwest than east coast.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 11:29:56 PM »
This sounds dumb, but when I think of East Coast, I don't think of the Ocean as much as I think of the look and feel of the city.

In what way does Toronto feel like an east coast city? Architecturally it has little in common with NYC, Boston, or Philly. Even Chicago is denser. With all its brick Victorian and Richardsonian Romanesque architecture, and the streetcars, Toronto, like San Francisco, is something of a standalone when it comes to cities.

Outside of the Victorian, pre-1900 core, most of Toronto was built on the cheap. Where commercial streets in, for example, Chicago feature ornate terra cotta buildings often with 270° bay windows, Toronto's are basic brick constructions c.1920 that have been retrofitted with awful 1970s-era windows that only open insofar as a little square slides over horizontally—in contrast to Chicago retrofits, which are usually upright sliding PVCs from the 1990s at least. The funny thing is Chicago's rents are cheaper too. For the price of a basement dump in Toronto that hasn't been upgraded since Thomas Morgan was born, you can get stainless steel appliances and granite countertops in Chicago. Not to mention $5 PBR pitchers vs. $18 Sleeman's in Toronto.

In short, Toronto tries to be Canada's NYC but can't even measure up to Chicago. Vancouver tries to be Canada's answer to LA, but can't even measure up to SF, though it does beat Seattle.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2009, 08:40:52 AM »
When I talk about Toronto I'm talking about the core, not the dumb 905. I appreciate your response, but whoever said Toronto was trying to be another city? I don't think I did. Toronto is Toronto... Chicago is Chicago... New York is New York... Edmonton is Calgary... and so on...

we've already gone over the fact that Moosejaw is the Canadian NYC

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2009, 09:13:09 AM »

i mean, fuck, look at the complexity of that transit system... and the downtown...

Please forgive me Moosejaw, i actually love you. You just have a funny name. Anyone on here from Moosejaw?

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
Is it true Al Capone hid out in Moose Jaw for a minute?

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2009, 09:29:46 AM »
Is it true Al Capone hid out in Moose Jaw for a minute?

They found tunnels that apparently were made to run rum. I worked with a guy from there and he claimed his grandfather was involved with the running of the aforementioned rum. But, i didn't believe him, cause Moosejaw is like 500 kms from the boarder.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:35:17 AM by Canuck »

Wood Pusher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -682
  • I have way too many accounts.
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2009, 10:35:15 AM »
Canada is lame. Go listen to G-Unit while thinking you're gangster as fuck with your ginger ass hair and your glasses while riding circas and plan bs

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Canada is lame. Go listen to G-Unit while thinking you're gangster as fuck with your ginger ass hair and your glasses while riding circas and plan bs

you're one of those fat americans that lives in suburbs, i feel bad for you.

Wood Pusher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -682
  • I have way too many accounts.
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you're one of those fat americans that lives in suburbs, i feel bad for you.
I'm Average, healthy weight.
Theres a ghetto in Long Island. Go act hard listening to Lil Wayne and pretending you listen to Wu Tang ginger ass bitch. The only good thing to come out of Canada is Rick Howard and Apples.