Author Topic: distributors  (Read 2887 times)

riding*walls

distributors
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:37:42 PM »
With the recent news that Birdhouse has left Blitz it got me wondering about the state of distributors and how they get started.
Obviously there is a world of difference between deluxe and Southshore, but I'm curious how you get one going.
I remember when Giant went under it caused a lot of drama, as they took popwar and bueno with them but not black label or stereo.
I wish someone on the east coast would round up all the small companies and make it easier to get a few of each brands boards.
coda,traffic,5 boro etc.

RightCoastBiased

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: distributors
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:47:08 PM »
That is a good idea, I'd love to do something like that.

jaweave23

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »
With the recent news that Birdhouse has left Blitz it got me wondering about the state of distributors and how they get started.
Obviously there is a world of difference between deluxe and Southshore, but I'm curious how you get one going.
I remember when Giant went under it caused a lot of drama, as they took popwar and bueno with them but not black label or stereo.
I wish someone on the east coast would round up all the small companies and make it easier to get a few of each brands boards.
coda,traffic,5 boro etc.

Its an amazing idea but actually doing it is something different.
Maybe in our dreams...  :-\

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:21:03 AM »
you can always go through eastern skate supply(they got everyone) but more than half the people there suck donkey cocks.

in any case i'm down for the idea, its something thats been on my mind for a little while now.

riding*walls

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:44:24 AM »
or even now with stereo starting a distribution, if they added cliche,traffic and hopps or something along those lines.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »
^ it wouldn't be very cost effective seeing as they run their operation out of CA.
it would be easier if they moved their distro to this side of the country and pimped the east coast brands.
i'd be super stoked if they(or someone else) did something like that. 

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 09:05:21 AM »
you can always go through eastern skate supply(they got everyone) but more than half the people there suck donkey cocks.

in any case i'm down for the idea, its something thats been on my mind for a little while now.
Eastern... that's Ricky Barnes, right?
If not, I know whatever distro he has is a pile of shit.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i haven't a clue?  is he an old time freestyle skater? 
if so, he and mullen have the "freestyle conspiracy" going on, or at least thats what some of the other guys call it.

they're on some dick shit over there, giving huge discounts to mall/fake stores and stay sticking it to the core shops.

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:18:07 AM »
The shop i work for does a lot through eastern, they've never done us any wrong doing. But then again, thats just my experiences.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
^ perhaps?
but i always hear stories of the shady crap that goes down there.

at this point it wouldn't matter what they did, i'd still tell them to suck it.
i'd rather give my money to the smaller distros that need the money and appreciate my business.

Sammy

• Rep: -6
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Reggie Barnes owns both Eastern Skate Supply and Endless Grind Skateshop. Neither is a "pile of shit"....

danker peaches

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
there is one shop in victoria that can only get their shit through eastern skate supply because none of the Canadian ones would sell to them

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Reggie Barnes owns both Eastern Skate Supply and Endless Grind Skateshop. Neither is a "pile of shit"....
Reggie freestyles in converse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyMO_2jYW9s

AENYC

• Rep: 5
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 01:03:05 PM »
when i was doing official with bryan (who's still making boards) we talked with a couple other east coast companies about setting up a central distribution company to handle operations.  however, at the end of the day, we felt like we would have lost too much control over our own personal brand.  it's hard to let go of that control for a few extra dollars.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 02:42:05 PM »
Yeah, Reggie, that's it... seriously, he and his distro can go fuck each other.

Randozzi

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »
Didn't the True Love Collective try and do that a couple years back?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
Yeah, I think he tried it with Heroin, Teenage Runaway and... somebody else I think. By the time I met James I think True Love skateboards, wheels and shirts was it.

Boston.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Yeah, I think he tried it with Heroin, Teenage Runaway and... somebody else I think. By the time I met James I think True Love skateboards, wheels and shirts was it.
tlc, heroin, landscape, teenage runaway, traffic, and even lowcard and roughneck at one point i think. he blew it with everyone; including his team. the whole thing was a nightmare and i still feel embarrassed to be involved with that whole thing. i also feel really bad about it too; i've apologized to lance and albunny/armin, as well as the orchard dudes for james ripping them off

anyways, the advice i got was to keep your overhead as low as possible. you can run a dist. out of your apartment if you wanted too. you can either have stuff delivered to you and send it out, or even have company "a"/woodshop "b" drop ship the order for you. you also have to pay distribution fees to carry the companies. the best way to do it would be to order a small amount of product from each company. say 100 boards, sell them all and make enough to get 200, sell the 200 to get 400, and so on. you're basically banking in off of a snowball effect

BabyKillaSeason

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
    • AnotherDudeWithABlog avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 06:40:02 PM »
mike fork is back.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 06:41:14 PM »
I did a few tours a while for Eastern and they seem to be really solid, my man Sub is tight! I met Reggie only a few times and he seemed cool and they support me so I can say anything bad about them and they also have given Sml. a chance. I'm sure all situations are different, did he wrong you Grim or it's just Reggie you arn't feeling?  

AENYC

• Rep: 5
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 07:17:07 PM »
I did a few tours a while for Eastern and they seem to be really solid, my man Sub is tight! I met Reggie only a few times and he seemed cool and they support me so I can say anything bad about them and they also have given Sml. a chance. I'm sure all situations are different, did he wrong you Grim or it's just Reggie you arn't feeling?  

whoa.  i grew up skating with subhan in ny.  last time i heard from him, he asked for some boards and after i sent the boards i havn't heard from him since - which is not tight.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »
I'm sure all situations are different, did he wrong you Grim or it's just Reggie you arn't feeling?  
It's not so much me versus Reggie (though he came up in the whole IASC thing), it's more Eastern pulling some dick moves on the shop... the kind of shit that you wouldn't expect to come from a company run by a dude who came from skateboarding. It's not really my place to talk about my friend's dealings with them though. I've witnessed them basically piss on the shop twice, though.

riding*walls

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »
Politics in skating always make things more difficult. Sucks for your shop grim, personally I always try to go direct and avoid using those types of distro's at all costs. I never did understand the difference between say southshore and blitz. Must just be a more limited deal versus carrying a million brands? Or do they have partial ownership?

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm sure all situations are different, did he wrong you Grim or it's just Reggie you arn't feeling?  
[close]
It's not so much me versus Reggie (though he came up in the whole IASC thing), it's more Eastern pulling some dick moves on the shop... the kind of shit that you wouldn't expect to come from a company run by a dude who came from skateboarding. It's not really my place to talk about my friend's dealings with them though. I've witnessed them basically piss on the shop twice, though.

I totally understand shit can be crazy, I was just asking.. thanks bro. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:21:24 AM by cliff »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 04:28:16 AM »
Ah, it's all good now... the shop's been kicking ass without 'em. The only place they can unload any of their shit now is a little head shop three blocks from us (a head shop that has the occasional board or two in it). Shit, I don't even know if they're still there or not, actually.

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 04:43:18 AM »
While we are the subject of distributers, when and who will pick up listen FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »
^ good question!
i really hope they make comeback this year.

if any of the listen guys lurk here, make a fake acct and let us know!