Author Topic: Thrift store scores  (Read 12655 times)

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Thrift store scores
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
At a buffalo exchange in PB an ipath rider must have sold his whole box because there was one of every colour grasshopper in size 10

yeah, pros do that a lot.

The Buffalo Exhange on Valencia St. here in San Francisco always has size 13 Nike SB's - i've seen Brian Anderson around the neighborhood a bunch of times. The other week, they had a shitload of size 9 Supras.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »
Expand Quote
At a buffalo exchange in PB an ipath rider must have sold his whole box because there was one of every colour grasshopper in size 10
[close]

yeah, pros do that a lot.

The Buffalo Exhange on Valencia St. here in San Francisco always has size 13 Nike SB's - i've seen Brian Anderson around the neighborhood a bunch of times. The other week, they had a shitload of size 9 Supras.
sierra fellers sells or used to sell to the buffalo exchange in long beach. mass quantitys of circa and foundation gear in medium. also lots of toy machine stuff at long beach, cos those dudes live there.
a lot of ams/flow guys make extra $ via the buffalo exchange hustle.
theres a store called wasteland on melrose that a lot of pros buy/sell/trade clothes at too.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2220
  • computer says no
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote
You're a bigger hippie than wavy gravy.
[close]

Seeing as you don't know a thing about me you like to assume a lot.
Right or wrong, I'd take it as a compliment. Wavy Gravy was a pretty kooky dude, but it was a pretty cool kookiness and Wavy was/is fucking rad. I picked up his book "SOMETHING GOOD FOR A CHANGE, Random Notes on Peace Through Living" at a used comics/bookstore and I fucking loved it. He was the guy that announced the "Brown Acid" at Woodstock. I'm not a hippie myself, but I appreciate activists from his generation.

On topic:

This is an old photo of a shirt that I bought when I was 19, but I still wear to this day... dark brown, fits like an American Apparel, soft as fuck, and it has a pretty sick illustration of a guy playing a guitar. It says "Don Francisco, The Live Concert". About five years ago I found out that Don is a Christian folk singer. I was at the park and a dude there my age was like "whoa man, you listen to Don Francisco? I love that dude's music." I told him I bought it because the art was sick, but that I'd look him up, which I never did. I don't want to ruin the shirt if the guy sucks. It's already funny because I'm not Christian, but I know too much as it is.

Over the years, I've picked up 8 or 9 17" crt monitors for $5 each (four I got at once), maybe a dozen keyboards at 50 cents a pop, and an old school SCSI card, cable, and scanner that I'll never use, I just have it. So far, all the monitors that I've ever bought there have worked, once had a scratch on it but it didn't matter... I could see the scratch on the glass but it was for a little file server, so looks didn't mean a lot. Had a good image though.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »

I also got a shirt that says "Junk in the trunk" with a restroom diagram-ess woman putting stuff in the trunk of a car. There's also an array of insane wildlife or native american pride shirts to be found at my local value villages.

A friend bought me a shirt for my birthday that just said in big bold letters "Eric is 40!" with a huge picture of some kid under it.
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2009, 07:26:10 PM »
i bought a shirt that said wheres garey? and beneath it was a picture of a young eagle scout.

it ended up missing from my storage facility........
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

datsnare

• Rep: -7
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2009, 07:51:40 PM »
Expand Quote
found this wizard hat once that looked pretty much like this
they had no idea how it got there so they gave it to me for 25 cents. i also found this slayer shirt from their 1984 tour that i gave to my buddy for his birthday which is now his favorite shirt. kensington market in toronto is pretty much just a neighborhood sized thrift store except there's too many god damn hippies and schizos there and not enough single chain smoking moms like a real thrift store. bummer.
[close]
dude vintage slayer shirts go for up to like 500 bucks on the streets around here/ebay/flea markets. i bet your friend loves you

where the hell do you live? people sell vintage slayer shirts on the streets? and for 500 hundred bucks?  jesus christ.

by the way you tried way too hard on your signature and avatar.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
found this wizard hat once that looked pretty much like this
they had no idea how it got there so they gave it to me for 25 cents. i also found this slayer shirt from their 1984 tour that i gave to my buddy for his birthday which is now his favorite shirt. kensington market in toronto is pretty much just a neighborhood sized thrift store except there's too many god damn hippies and schizos there and not enough single chain smoking moms like a real thrift store. bummer.
[close]
dude vintage slayer shirts go for up to like 500 bucks on the streets around here/ebay/flea markets. i bet your friend loves you
[close]

where the hell do you live? people sell vintage slayer shirts on the streets? and for 500 hundred bucks?  jesus christ.

by the way you tried way too hard on your signature and avatar.

i mostly meant flea markets, but in the "hipper" parts of LA it isnt uncommon for people to try to buy the shirt your wearing. old metal shirts are especially sought after.

as for the avatar/sig, photoshop is a hobby of mine, and a valuable skill, plus it was raining the day i made them, so whatevs

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2018, 12:26:30 AM »
Bringing this one back. Some of my recent scoops - been on a bit of a hot streak. I mostly just buy stuff to flip on eBay but I think I'll keep these.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2018, 12:31:19 AM »
We have swap meets where I live. I've found some cool late 60's and early 70's banana shape boards. Every now and then some early 90's shirts.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2018, 05:49:17 AM »
I got the suit I was married in, YSL never been worn. A Christian Dior sailing blazer. Bottega Veneta slip ons. I always buy leather belts when I see them. Got my wife two Mui Mui dresses, a YSL summer trench coat and Tory Burch pumps. I work in the rich part of town and these people give away good designer things.

Other than that I buy most of my jeans there and lots of random button down shirts.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2018, 06:29:49 AM »
Found a Green Jelly shirt for 1.99 apparently its worth about $100.
Already got a buyer lined up.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2018, 07:31:46 AM »
got a fuckin sick Big Dogs crew neck from the salvation army next door

https://www.instagram.com/p/xiSVWdpE3YNxYb7lQ2CgBbO0pDAX7gMe-7YAE0/?taken-by=zurgvision

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
One time i got a broken xbox 360 for ten bucks and sold the 500gb hard drive for $50 the same day. That's all I got.

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2018, 02:02:48 PM »
scooped up a dozen Kung Fu movies on VHS (The Wu Tang Shaolin joints that were reissues) and some basketball jerseys. Always looking for gear and tape decks.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2018, 07:03:07 PM »
Just have a local goodwill. I bought an entire CD booklet full of early 2000’s indie music once that came with a booklet signed by The Strokes. Flipped a pair of Gravis as well about two weeks ago and on that same trip I managed to snag a brand new pair of Cons CTS.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -137
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2018, 11:58:21 PM »
Not that into thrift stores.

But garage sales are the shit.

On Saturday I got a brand new shop vac for 5 bucks.

I also got some Van's shoes for 2 bucks a pair and I probably overpaid.

I'm still stoked on the shop vac though
Gentleman ninja warlock

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »
Bringing this one back. Some of my recent scoops - been on a bit of a hot streak. I mostly just buy stuff to flip on eBay but I think I'll keep these.

I'm pissed that you thrifted that camera, I've owned at least 5 of them and they're worth around $200 now, but you could probably get even more for it

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
geez! 200? i found one a few years ago for 15 and i ended up breaking it. bought another one on ebay for maybe 80-90 and then sold it for about 100 when i got out of film photography. i recently flipped the zoom version i found in a thrift store for 3 bucks, sold it for 30.

i still have an olympus XA-2 that I need to get rid of. im thinking that and some of my skate video collection is going to help fund the new guitar i want.

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »

i still have an olympus XA-2 that I need to get rid of. im thinking that and some of my skate video collection is going to help fund the new guitar i want.

I almost did the exact same thing, but I love my XA2 too much, so I skimped and bought the Squier instead (it's actually one of the best guitars i've played though)

I'm on a hawaiian shirt phase right now, so I've picked up some awesome ones at my Goodwill. I saw a Guiness themed one with the tucan and shit yesterday but it was a size too small.
(Cool Trick GIF)

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2018, 05:22:25 AM »
For sure - they're regularly $250+ in Oz. I love that little Olympus Mju. It works perfectly, is super fun to carry around and takes a beaut photo. I still hear of people picking them up for a song cause they made millions of them.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -371
  • ants suck!
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2018, 11:28:31 AM »
 :(s
For sure - they're regularly $250+ in Oz. I love that little Olympus Mju. It works perfectly, is super fun to carry around and takes a beaut photo. I still hear of people picking them up for a song cause they made millions of them.
i have one of those olympus digital cameras full of cool shit, dont have the cable or the adapter for the giant ass fossil sd card and havent been able to find one
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »
tons of vhs's
a plethora of shit sharktooth boards
metal shirts a plenty
a decent gaming pc just the fancy see through tower $25
sweaters
pearl snaps long sleeve shirts for fancy nights

These are just a few things I have found at various places, the bigger the thrift store the more donations.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2018, 09:50:04 AM »
do pawn store scores count, because i found part of jason jesse's old record collection at a shop near me. didn't buy it though.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2018, 02:04:47 PM »
geez! 200? i found one a few years ago for 15 and i ended up breaking it. bought another one on ebay for maybe 80-90 and then sold it for about 100 when i got out of film photography. i recently flipped the zoom version i found in a thrift store for 3 bucks, sold it for 30.

interested in your xa2 jb
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

deathturd

• Rep: 87
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »
Found a Limp Bizkit cd for a dollar and tossed it through the open sunroof a random car. Worth it.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 369
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
Couple days ago I got a Miller lite baseball cap, a thin windbreaker, a fresh ass pair of black Dockers, and a fresh ass pair of brown Ralph pants, both to skate in. All for ten bucks. Pretty stoked.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2018, 08:21:46 PM »
Bought a 12" C-3PO from 1978 for $1.25. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:52 PM »

oh, shit... those "bose by black"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYQ4Bj4tmc

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »
2 pairs of leather huf dylans for $26 each
Welcome to hell dvd for <$5
Koston 1 SBs <$10

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »
Trust issues stop me from getting clothes or shoes used. But I'm glad for you, my dudes.