Author Topic: skating in england  (Read 3561 times)

totalwly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
skating in england
« on: July 19, 2006, 01:25:46 AM »
im going to manchester, liverpool and then london for a week in two weeks... any recomendations as far as skating/getting fucked up/cool stuff is in any of these places would be appreciated.

2G

Re: skating in england
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 04:06:01 AM »
i did find a site once that had a fair amount of info on spots in the UK, ill try and re-find it if you want to look through stuff like that.

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 06:13:59 AM »
best bet in london is to hit up southbank and slam and ask about what is going on, directions to spots, boozers to drink at, etc. think about what spots you've seen in vids and you would like to skate and ask nicely. if you haven't seen Blueprint's video Lost and Found which includes a load of london spots go click here to watch/download it free/legally. manchester and liverpool i can't really help you with specifics but i do know both are very skatable and super good places for going out, go to note skateshop in manchester and ask the usual questions and try lost art skateshop in liverpool (website is down at the moment but google it for directions, etc). we're having beautiful weather here right now by the way.

monster network

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 06:18:52 AM »
here are some other useful links:

uk skate organisation (check the news)
sidewalk mag (check the news, the blog and the message board for news and info)
crossfire (check the for skate and music news)

oh, go downstairs in slam to rough trade to buy music and see what bands are playing when you are in town too

Chris from Essex

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:16:54 AM »
Here are some spots in London for you, by the way, you might want to download a tube map before you go..

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/print_maps/LondonConnections.pdf
or

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/lon_con.pdf

Meanwhile 1 & 2:

Meanwhile 1: Located in Meanwhile Gardens, just around the corner from Westbourne Park tube. Consists of three interconnecting concrete bowls of varying sizes, plenty of fun on a dry day. Free too!
Meanwhile 2: Situated underneath the Westway flyover near Royal Oak tube station. Turn right out of Royal Oak tube, cross the road, turn left at the traffic lights and walk straight on until you see it. Consists of two large concrete halfpipes with virtually no flat bottom, with the "Gonz" gap separating them, named after Mark Gonzales who ollied it back in 1987. Tom Penny, Keith Hufnagel, Caine Gayle, Rick Howard and Carl Shipman have all done impressive tricks over the gap.

Baysixty6:

Popular skatepark located in fashionable West London. One of the best in the UK with large mini and midi ramps, vert ramp and huge street course. The nearest tube stations are either Westbourne Park or Latimer Road, walk along Portabello Road, then Acklam Road and it's located underneath the flyover. A good location for skateboard tours/events/parties etc. Neighbourhood (ex-Subterania) nightclub is next door to the park, if you fancy partying...

Stockwell:
Big concrete park with many bowls, hips and a few rails/quarters. Busy on weekends. A short walk from Brixton station on the Victoria line, situated behind the Brixton Academy.

Cantelows:
Located in Cantelows Park, Camden. Turn left out of Camden Town station and it's a 10 minute walk up Camden Road from there. The skatepark is in the process of being re-built, I will add details once it has been completed...

London Fields:
Located in a far corner of London Fields park, it consists of a large mogul with a separate bank. The surface is a bit rough, but it can be fun on a summer's afternoon.

Hackney Bumps:
Hackney Bumps are in Clapton Park, off Daubeney Road, next to Hackney Marshes, East London. Outdoor and free, there are plenty of hips, bumps and banks to keep you occupied. Definitely worth a visit, needs more exposure.

Bloblands:
Located in the far side of Norwood Park, Crystal Palace. Basically, an emptied paddling pool, which includes loads of great obstacles/banks to skate. There's a high-street nearby, so you can easily get food/drink etc.

Romford Skate Park:
Another skatepark that was built during the '70s, Romford (or the "Rom") has stood the test of time! It has everything you could possibly want! A pool, performance bowl, moguls, concrete half-pipe, snake run, 4-leaf clover, metal mini-ramps/quarterpipes and street obstacles. Next to Romford Car Drome on Upper Rainham Road, Hornchurch, Essex. Directions: Romford BR station and 252 bus from outside the station to Romford Car Drome. Alternatively, Elm Park tube station on the District Line, turn left as you exit, take the 1st left, go straight on until you reach the junction at the bottom of road, turn right and it's 5 mins walk from there, on the left-hand side.

Harrow Skate Centre:
This 70's style skate park is situated behind the Harrow Leisure Centre, on Christchurch Avenue. It has a street course with flat bank at one end and is scattered with cones, metal girders, boxes etc. Also, a roll-in and metal funbox. Blue Pool. Snake run, moguls, bowls and the famous bollocks-shaped bowl/recently dug-out bowls. Take a British Rail train to Harrow & Wealdstone from London Euston or the Bakerloo line to Harrow & Wealdstone tube. It's a five minute skate from the station. There are takeaways and kebab shops in town if you're feeling peckish.

Kennington:
This rather basic skate park is situated in Kennington Park, 2 minutes walk from Kennington tube station, on the Northern line. Reasonably smooth surface. Wooden benches on the platform to do tricks on. There is also the famous Kennington "bar", which Danny Wainwright and Geoff Rowley ollied several years back - see 411VM 13.

Skate Spots:
South Bank:
The home of British skateboarding for the last 25 years. You don't have to worry about the weather because it's situated underneath the Queen Elizabeth Hall. Big banks and stairs, nice and flat surface. Weekends see the place packed with skaters and local chillers. Take the tube or British Rail to Waterloo. South Bank is 5 minutes from the station. Burger King and McDonalds inside Waterloo station for refreshments. Cide skate shop is also just behind the station, which is a cool skate shop. Nearly everyone who is anyone in skateboarding has been here at some point in their lives. Debate continues to rage over its existence, and what exactly will be there once it is knocked down.

Shell Centre:
Just round the corner from South Bank. Opposite Waterloo station. Sets of 3, 6 and 7 steps. Marble grindy stuff and ledges at the side of the stairs. This area has now been ruthlessly skatespotted and is only worth passing through for a look, or remembering fun sessions from back in the day!

City of London:
The "City of London" is an amazing skate spot and is virtually empty on the weekend. Take the exit of the station next to McDonalds and take a right. There are steps of various heights (1-10), plus double and triple sets as well as ledges of different heights. There are also hundreds more ledges, bars, blocks, stairs, handrails and other weird skateable objects scattered all over the Square Mile, you just need to roam around and look for them. However, there are two main problems with the "City": the first being the cops, as technically skating is illegal in the city; the other being the business types who may give you hassle, especially on Friday nights.

St. Paul's:
Lots of steps, rails and blocks located in this area. Again, a total bust - but look for a quiet spot in the evening and you'll have a decent session.

Design Museum:
Only really skateable in the evening or late at night, but there is a nice set of five stairs and a long marble ledge, perfect for nose slides/K-grinds. Tower Hill station (Circle line or District line) and then cross Tower Bridge. Once you are on the South side of the Thames, turn left (East) and follow the path that runs alongside the river you will eventually come to it.

Parliament Square:
Stairs, ledges off stairs and the famous "Big Ben Road" gap featured in many British videos and 411 VM, across the road. Nearest tube is Westminster station (Circle line or District line). Just turn right from the station and cross over to the large island that faces the Houses of Parliament, you can't miss it. There is also an excellent ledge on the left-hand side of the square, which is great for grinding/sliding.

Clockwork Orange Banks:
As featured in the legendary Stanley Kubrick film, the "Clockwork Orange", there are bank-to-wall transitions within the underpasses and a huge flat bank. Wandsworth Town BR, turn left out of the station and walk in to the underpass.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 02:22:10 AM by Chris from Essex »

monster network

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 05:28:55 AM »
should mention that hackney bumps are in an area that is fucking sketchy as fuck! shell centre has been blind bumped for a good while now too. cantelows is gone, they are in the process of sorting out the new park. totally go to Romford though if you can. awesome 70s park

Chris from Essex

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 05:53:17 AM »
Yeah, I mentioned most of these points in the post above. Hackney Bumps aren't that sketchy though, I've skated there loads of times and never had any problems.

Having said that, I've had plenty of confrontations over the years, so maybe I don't give it too much thought. Oh yeah, Ilford town centre has some good handrails, flat and a couple of decent banks + there is a new skatepark in Finsbury Park (in the park itself) which is good fun.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 06:58:41 AM by Chris from Essex »

totalwly

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 02:35:28 AM »
thanks dudes if anyone knows whereabouts to get dank or good places to get drank let me know email or something. also if anyone wants to skate somewhere fa sho.

Gest

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 02:53:04 AM »
i remember clockwork orange, wondering if people skated those, hahahaha, so psyched!

totalwly

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 03:02:05 AM »
i also kinda would want to see a concert or soemthing if anybody knows of anything good i cant find shit online

Chris from Essex

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 03:59:05 AM »
The Stargreen box office is a great place to get info/tickets on concerts and events.
http://www.stargreen.co.uk

If you have time,  it's often cheaper to get tickets from the venue you are going to beforehand (i.e. Brixton Academy/Astoria etc.).

Might be worth going to a club too:

The End, Egg, The Key, The Fridge, and the Cross are all quality venues...

monster network

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 01:04:41 AM »
i also kinda would want to see a concert or soemthing if anybody knows of anything good i cant find shit online

buy a copy of NME when you land and look through the back pages for show listings

kaufmaner

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 05:53:28 AM »
i remember clockwork orange, wondering if people skated those, hahahaha, so psyched!
same here hahah

punch drunk love

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 04:09:17 PM »
I'm feeling the North at the moment, especially Liverpool.  Just go to Lost Art skate shop and get hooked up.

Can't say I'm an expert on the City, but it's been super fun recently when I've been there.
Make sure you go to Kimos for some good snap.

Chris from Essex

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 03:32:09 AM »
Yeah, I've sessioned them a few times. There's actually a massive bank to skate there too, that has appeared in a video, the name of which escapes me.

Expand Quote
[close]
same here hahah

totalwly

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 11:16:30 AM »