Author Topic: Damian Smith Appreciation!  (Read 4435 times)

biggums mcgee

Damian Smith Appreciation!
« on: February 02, 2009, 09:10:54 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAY19G1GuNU

unfortunately I can't find much about Damian on the net...however, he's one of the pioneers of powerful style, the Uprising part was way, way ahead of its time. Its one of my go-to's to watch before I skate...here's to Damian getting some long-overdue recognition and hopefully a board on Traffic one of these days!

If someone could post up the Philly Four part from Static II, I'd be very grateful.

poptart pete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 95
  • i like my asses fat not flat
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Damian Smith Appreciation!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:45 AM »
FUCK YES! my favorite dood at the park. every time he screams at groups of little kids i get so pumped
RIP T.Dog

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »
His part in the Guarte video always got me psyched.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 10:11:16 AM »
I feel his approach to skating. But he has some boo-boo style.
And what do you mean by "way ahead of its time?" He was skating like Ricky, Serge, Matt Reason, and all those dudes before everybody else started ripping them off?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »
sick.  might have to pop in the VHS tape.

jaweave23

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »
I wanna see more from this dude.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »
He only had  few tricks in moving in traffic. hope he keeps it going. one of my favs for sure.

lurk daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • put the FU back in fun
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 12:26:51 PM »
sofuckingunderated
IF YOU HAVE SEX ONCE, YOU GET HERPES. IF YOU DO COKE ONCE, YOU DIE AND LOSE YOUR JOB.

Gest

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »
has and will always be one of my favorites. had a trick or two in sub zero also if i remember. his stuff in both traffic vids was good, along with quarte and static 2

is his static 2 part not on youtube? i might put it on vimeo instead because apparently youtube is faggin out lately

leadbelly

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 04:41:42 PM »
damian may not film a whole lot but atleast this dude is out skating all the time and works a full time job doing construction. he still rips.

ps- damians style is really sick. not the smoothest or most dialed, but it is raw and original. people get original style mixed up with bad style sometimes.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:01:19 PM by leadbelly »

biggums mcgee

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »
And what do you mean by "way ahead of its time?" He was skating like Ricky, Serge, Matt Reason, and all those dudes before everybody else started ripping them off?

I think that video came out in 96?, and compared to alot of other stuff from that era he was way head. smooth, fast, and extremely raw. the dudes you mentioned above didn't necessarily posses all of those traits...I don't think any of them went as fast as damian.

Static part can't be found on youtube, it'd be great to see that and especially great to see his sub zero part from their video in '94.

SlutBang666

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 06:19:54 PM »
damien is raw and i just watched steffan attardos part after damiens  it really made damien look like a champ

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 07:00:46 PM »
I like him. I may even have a crush on him.

Gest

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 07:04:07 PM »
that uprising part couldnt have been 96.. maybe like 2001 or 2000 it looks like, i could be way off, but im thinking that. the quality looks way too good for 96.
also, he had one trick in sub zero, a kickflip down the city hall 5
ill be uploading two parts for yall in a sec, im glad someone made this thread because i almost forgot about him it seems

drowe1

• Rep: -16
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 10:23:41 AM »
FUCK YES! my favorite dood at the park. every time he screams at groups of little kids i get so pumped
thats awesome!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 11:28:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think that video came out in 96?, and compared to alot of other stuff from that era he was way head. smooth, fast, and extremely raw. the dudes you mentioned above didn't necessarily posses all of those traits...I don't think any of them went as fast as damian.

Static part can't be found on youtube, it'd be great to see that and especially great to see his sub zero part from their video in '94.
1. It came out in 2001. I remember it coming out right when I found out I was moving to Santa Cruz.
2. None of them skate as fast as Damian? watch EE3. Your head will explode.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
1. It came out in 2001. I remember it coming out right when I found out I was moving to Santa Cruz.

Well, I guess I was off on two things. He looks so young in uprising, and the quality of the skating wasn't the greatest..that was pretty off. No idea where I got 1996 from, but oops.

I could have sworn young damian had a part in the sub zero video...I had only seen it once with a much older guy when I was fifteen...who was the younger guy who was introduced through that?

Gipper, you're telling me Serge and Reason skated as fast as this dude? The only people that I can think of get even close are Ricky, Barely and Dennis B. Of course, that goes without saying, but I still think Damian books it faster than all of those guys.

walrus

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »
damien skates faster than everyone. enough said he fuckin rips

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 01:14:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Well, I guess I was off on two things. He looks so young in uprising, and the quality of the skating wasn't the greatest..that was pretty off. No idea where I got 1996 from, but oops.

I could have sworn young damian had a part in the sub zero video...I had only seen it once with a much older guy when I was fifteen...who was the younger guy who was introduced through that?

Gipper, you're telling me Serge and Reason skated as fast as this dude? The only people that I can think of get even close are Ricky, Barely and Dennis B. Of course, that goes without saying, but I still think Damian books it faster than all of those guys.
Nobody skates faster than Dennis Busenitz.
Ricky was mainly who I was thinking of with the speed stuff. You can't skate slow to early metallica.
I don't remember Trudnowski and Reason being that fast though.

Gest

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
serge, reason, and gall all skated at similar speeds but i think what made everyone in sub zero alike was how they took all their tricks literally to the streets, just watch the credits, all of them popping nollies over manholes and doing tricks on ledges in a big group, its tight as fuck

someone else was in the sub zero vid with like a two trick part, maybe eric ruwadi? ill check later. i dont remember him skating fast or anything though

Gest

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »
i tried uploading his full parts but i didnt feel like waiting last night, ill try again tonight. fortunately i got timebomb off the shelf and ripped his stuff from there for yalls viewing pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWeRSq2jnpQ

biggums mcgee

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »
Gnarred Gest. That switch ollie over the street gap is just epic!

VincyPrincy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
I remember the sequence of that switch ollie and just imagining how scary it would be to land switch down that hill.

Gest

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »
found more of my vids, uploaded stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELHVUH_yjYA small section from VIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLXERTEwmyw philly four, included sabback, rich adler, and oyola. this is my first time witnessing the new no music policy, fuck this shit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-4SjhtjqNk part in GO FOR BROKE

biggums mcgee

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »
found more of my vids, uploaded stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELHVUH_yjYA small section from VIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLXERTEwmyw philly four, included sabback, rich adler, and oyola. this is my first time witnessing the new no music policy, fuck this shit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-4SjhtjqNk part in GO FOR BROKE

ah, but the music totally makes that part! thanks for go for broke, never seen that before

Gest

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 05:35:50 PM »
yeah i know, and most of all, ricky and rush make the PERFECT combination. its that good rush stuff, not the bad rush

suetra

• Rep: 5
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
We got alot of walls, alot of fucking shit!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
damian smith

hope to see a few more clips of him somehow someday.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 11:01:37 PM »
The last line in that uprising video was incredible.  This guy is too fun to watch.  He looks all out of control and still pulls off some crazy stuff. 

wheee!

loose girlfriends

• Rep: 27
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Damian is such a sick skater, wish he woulda got a little more credit from the industry.
I once got arrested in Philly for assulting a cop (at least thats what they charged me with). All the cops kept trying to get cheap shots in once i was cuffed, but when i went though processig the cop that took my prints and shit just stared at me for a min then asked "do you skate" i said yeah why? then he says "do you know Damien Smith?" I said yeah i skate with him from time to time. He then hooked me up by letting me put my cash in my pocket and instead of putting me with the violent offenders he put me in the cell with the drug offenders (saving me from a beating). After i got out i moved out of the state to aviod all the court bullshit and never got to thank him for knowing that cop, so Thank you Damian!