Author Topic: Ululation (Stereo : A Visual Sound)  (Read 25497 times)

Miadaskate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Ululation (Stereo : A Visual Sound)
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:14:29 AM »

Does anyone have some of their music?

...Perhaps I should post this in the Music section...

avisualsound

• Rep: 7
Re: Ululation (Stereo : A Visual Sound)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »
Ululation might be close to impossible to finding on vinyl or any other form, I think Pastras mentions in the commentary of the dvd something along the lines that they were some chick's Dad's band he was friends with and she just gave him a tape of the music to use and made it sound like it was sort of an offcut thing as opposed to mass produced, their record label doesn't exist anymore as well, so who knows.

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:12:20 AM »
i'd kill for chris pastras' song in tincan folklore

COMMUNITYPACK

• Rep: 51
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 12:59:07 PM »
i'd kill for chris pastras' song in tincan folklore

Word.

Isn't he playing it with Fowler and a couple of others? Dude should just stick up an MP3 to download.

Chris, you hearing this??

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 01:01:45 PM »
sent the link to chris, see what he says...

COMMUNITYPACK

• Rep: 51
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
sent the link to chris, see what he says...

This is why Slap being digital is actually fucking cool.

Whiteley is BOSS.

Mardune

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
Yo guys, Chris P. here... this is my first time trying to post anything so hopefully it works. Yes that is me and Ethan Fowler on Tincan. Good idea to try and post some of the songs as MP3's...I will look at doing that. We always wanted to put out a CD of the old stuff, maybe when we do a deluxe version of the box set in the future. Interviews, extra photos, footage, etc. Thanks for the link to this Mark and thanks guys for all the kind words on the Stereo music. Also A Visual Sound is correct I got the music from a friend, Hilayann, her Dad had passed away but her Mom had the music and granted us the rights thankfully. We were really stoked on how it worked in the video, and thought it unique to sort of "score" the video to that music. Thanks again

Ice Cream For Crow

• Rep: 15
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »
Sounds pretty cool. You should definitely add the Ethan Fowler and Sean Young Wizard of Oz song if you decide to do the MP3 thing.  I've been looking for that song for years now.

sal23

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »
Yo guys, Chris P. here... this is my first time trying to post anything so hopefully it works. Yes that is me and Ethan Fowler on Tincan. Good idea to try and post some of the songs as MP3's...I will look at doing that. We always wanted to put out a CD of the old stuff, maybe when we do a deluxe version of the box set in the future. Interviews, extra photos, footage, etc. Thanks for the link to this Mark and thanks guys for all the kind words on the Stereo music. Also A Visual Sound is correct I got the music from a friend, Hilayann, her Dad had passed away but her Mom had the music and granted us the rights thankfully. We were really stoked on how it worked in the video, and thought it unique to sort of "score" the video to that music. Thanks again

deluxe box set?
damn!!
so glad i didnt buy the first one yesterday
SO putting money aside for that.

crest

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
i agree with this thread.

also, slap is amazing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:34:14 AM by crest »

bandini

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 12:34:18 AM »
Being one of the few people on the planet who owns the Ululation record, here's a little info about it for anyone who cares:

Ululation (both the name of the band and the record) was the work of John Lee Krasnow and his septet. It was recorded in 1987, and put out by Krasnow under the label "Long Shot Records." When he died a few years later, that was pretty much the end of the label and the record. I don't believe it ever even made it to CD - several of the band members I've talked to didn't even have a copy, or only had it on vinyl, so it's safe to say it's pretty much impossible to get a copy at this point.

It was a mission of mine for years to track down the record. I finally ended up acquiring a vinyl copy of it from the same friend that Chris first heard the music from. I would gladly post it for anyone to download, but Highlyann Krasnow (the friend - and daughter of the late bandleader) has asked me not to make it available online yet because she is working on a website, due to be completed soon, where all the Ululation music (including a bunch that's never been released) will be available, so I'm gonna respect her wishes on that.

The record is amazing and totally unique and since Chris has poked his head in here, I gotta thank him for bringing it to our attention. I think it's safe to say that without A Visual Sound, very few people outside of the New York jazz scene would ever have stumbled across that music.

crest

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 12:51:50 AM »
Being one of the few people on the planet who owns the Ululation record, here's a little info about it for anyone who cares:

Ululation (both the name of the band and the record) was the work of John Lee Krasnow and his septet. It was recorded in 1987, and put out by Krasnow under the label "Long Shot Records." When he died a few years later, that was pretty much the end of the label and the record. I don't believe it ever even made it to CD - several of the band members I've talked to didn't even have a copy, or only had it on vinyl, so it's safe to say it's pretty much impossible to get a copy at this point.

It was a mission of mine for years to track down the record. I finally ended up acquiring a vinyl copy of it from the same friend that Chris first heard the music from. I would gladly post it for anyone to download, but Highlyann Krasnow (the friend - and daughter of the late bandleader) has asked me not to make it available online yet because she is working on a website, due to be completed soon, where all the Ululation music (including a bunch that's never been released) will be available, so I'm gonna respect her wishes on that.

The record is amazing and totally unique and since Chris has poked his head in here, I gotta thank him for bringing it to our attention. I think it's safe to say that without A Visual Sound, very few people outside of the New York jazz scene would ever have stumbled across that music.

Please drop that link back here once her site is up. Cheers.

bandini

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 12:55:57 AM »
Please drop that link back here once her site is up. Cheers.

Will do. In the meantime, there's an interview with Krasnow that's been floating around the web for ages here:
http://www.bergen.edu/faculty/mkatzman/Bulldog%20Radio01.mp3

You can at least hear a couple of the tunes in their entirety (crappy sound quality, but oh well...)

Randozzi

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 01:12:26 AM »
a friend has tapes that he stole from an ex. i hope they get released and made available for purchase.

draizetrain

• Rep: 0
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 11:24:17 AM »
yeah I would seriously kill for these songs
to be get on ipod.. and my vinyl player.
This thread was a great find.. and now I'm a member of this board.

Gest

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »
i would love that stuff... what about matt rodriguez' music from tincan folklore? getting his song from that video would complete my life along with fowlers song

Highlyann

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:35 AM »
Hi this is Highlyann and my father, John Lee Krasnow was the one who composed and played on the Ululation albums (yes there are two.) The first one was used by Chris in the Stereo video (thanks again Chris.) Only a couple of copies of the album were made before his death. The good news is that the album has been picked up by a record company, Wax Poetics and both albums are being in the process of being rerealesed.  If anyone is interested you can contact [email protected]. In addition my sister and I are in the process of building a website in our fathers memory www.ululationmusic.com which will be up in mid spring 2009. Thanks all for supporting the music.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »
after reading the past few posts and for the first time in a long time, i think the internet is rad.
its amazing how all these people from the past found there way here. 

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Miglios
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:48:46 AM »
Yo guys, Chris P. here... this is my first time trying to post anything so hopefully it works. Yes that is me and Ethan Fowler on Tincan. Good idea to try and post some of the songs as MP3's...I will look at doing that. We always wanted to put out a CD of the old stuff, maybe when we do a deluxe version of the box set in the future. Interviews, extra photos, footage, etc.

I just bought the first one but I'd buy it again for that. 

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:26 AM »
first thread i came into today... so ridiculously stoked! i love the internet.
:) I must have been tripping last night

Randozzi

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Hi this is Highlyann and my father, John Lee Krasnow was the one who composed and played on the Ululation albums (yes there are two.) The first one was used by Chris in the Stereo video (thanks again Chris.) Only a couple of copies of the album were made before his death. The good news is that the album has been picked up by a record company, Wax Poetics and both albums are being in the process of being rerealesed.  If anyone is interested you can contact [email protected]. In addition my sister and I are in the process of building a website in our fathers memory www.ululationmusic.com which will be up in mid spring 2009. Thanks all for supporting the music.
That is great to hear! I know many fokls will be very happy to be able to get their hands on your fathers music. He has many fans in skating.

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »

her rep should be in the hundreds from just that one post. awesome and thanks for the links. I'll be sure to drop some dough on that joint when it drops.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Miglios
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 10:14:13 PM »
bump.  we had something good going.

Highlyann

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
Hey, the first leg of that bigger-than-I-thought project is now just
> completed : after the year it took me to find all the people involved,
> the article I did in WAX POETICS Magazine about the mysterious jazz
> album ULULATION (used on Stereo's skate vid 'A Visual
> Sound') just came out in newsstands in the US, or can be ordered
> online :
>
> http://www.waxpoetics.com/issues/issue_34/
>
> It will be followed by the reissue of the two ULULATION albums on a
> double-LP (Ululation 2 actually never came out) on WAX POETICS records
> in a few weeks, I will keep you posted...
>

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
i'd kill for Matts' song in tincan folklore

avisualsound

• Rep: 7
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 11:37:03 AM »
Thanks for keeping us up to speed on things Highlyann

Randozzi

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »
yeah, thanks. can't wait to buy them!

ccc333

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
a stereo box set coming... AND Ululation being re-released? Im glad I logged on today.

carayol

• Rep: 29
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 09:22:49 AM »
Just to say, for the curious-minded out there, that the mag can be ordered on the limk below. The whole story behind the album is pretty interesting -and you might understand why Ululation is so hard to find.

http://waxpoetics.com/storefront/index.php?cPath=27

I will post here once the actual re-issue LP is out, or about to be...

_Seb
www.memoryscreened.wordpress.com
www.avisualsound.wordpress.com

Randozzi

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 09:24:55 AM »
thanks Seb.

dig the stuff you've been doing, keep it up!