Author Topic: Skateboarding is trendy...  (Read 8880 times)

Penis Vein 3000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Skateboarding is trendy...
« on: March 13, 2009, 09:14:17 AM »
Skateboarding has become pretty gay lately.  It seems like everybody is trying to fit into a certain mold.  We got...fake style...basically anyone who claims that their current "gangster" way of landing tricks is natural.  Then we got...the tucknee kids...these kids do a lot of grabs cause they suck at fliptricks and they are usually tweaking their legs unnaturally when they land tricks.  What else??? I dunno, but it's getting harder and harder these days to find someone who hasn't artificially manufactured their "style" over a period of 3 years.  In reality, it takes most people (who have GOOD style) like ten years to fully develope it.  Style is not just how you land a trick...it's how you DO the trick.  It doesn't matter if somebody lands a little sketchy if they just blasted a kickflip up to their face over a bump tp bar.  Actually, I tend to prefer styles with a little sketch in em.  For instance, Alex Moul, Geoff Rowley, Dustin Dollin, and Ethan Fowler all have super sick style and you can tell they never once thought about it growing up.  They just skated and naturally developed into style machines.  Ya know who else has amazing style? Fabrizio Santos.  Peter Ramondetta.  Jerry Hsu.  Etc.  See what's happened though? All the skaters in their late 20's and early 30's are entering a period of super amazing fantasy style, but all the new kids are screwn it up.  Kids think they gotta have amazing style by their 3rd year of skating so they "Practice their style."  I've seen kids literally do like 100 kickflips because they wanted their arm steeze to be better.  ARM STEEZE?  Since when did skateboarders turn into such self-conscious pussies?  Does it really matter what the kid on Youtube will say about the way you move your frieking arms?  Personally, I think we need to get away from the overused songs, the artsy clips of kids feet running through leaves, lifestyle shots, and anything else that has nothing to do with skateboarding.  I used to HATE gnarly videos like Black Label or Zero, but now that every other video seems to have artsy architecture clips and time laps footage of busy highways, I find gnarly vids refreshing.  It's like "YES! This is why I started skateboarding...CAUSE IT LOOKS FRIEKING GNARLY!" 

In other news, flatground impossibles in the middle of lines are gay.  Brown cordoroys are gay.  Excessive wearing of long-sleeve flannel shirts is gay.  Backside smithgrinds with some sort of combo are gay.  Slanted mannypads are gay.  Any sort of manny to backlip is gay.  Ummm...maybe that covers it.  Anywho, all these things, if used properly and not excessively can be cool, but most of the time, they are not cool.  Oh yeah, any sort of noseslide to tailslide combos are getting pretty old.  I dunno man, kids need to quit copying what they saw in the last video and just get gnar.  If you wanna be origional, skate really fast.

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skateboarding is trendy...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:18:34 AM »
i thought this was gonna be about skinny jeans and thick framed glasses, boy was i disapointed
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

Penis Vein 3000

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:22:38 AM »
Thick framed glasses? I don't even know what that's about.  Personally, tight jeans don't bother me.  I dunno, maybe I just can't stand anything that's in style.  Oh yeah, Robert Lopez Mont...amazing steeze.

sal23

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »
I'm almost certain ive had that exact rant with my friends..
fuck

i wish i could gnar you

Facehead

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »
Maybe you need to just grow up, stop worrying about the little gerbs that infest skatieboarding and just hang with your pals. All this shit will blow over in a year or so, and something else will take it's place. I'm sure people thought that our generation of kids when we started were little fucking twerps, but now were older. Just put yourself in more perspective, you're more secure with your shit, being, or hopefully being a little older.

I do have to agree with the fact that I'm seeing an abundance of fake style. Nothing bums me out more.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »
I agree with you about the skating fast part, kids doing their spread eagle steez on 360 flips going slower than a snail, it's just gross

Facehead

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 09:36:38 AM »
No speed makes me a sad panda.

spare change

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 09:40:52 AM »
Kooks have and will continue to always thrive within our culture. Acknowledging them only makes them pertinent.
Do what feels best,ignore everything else. Skating became way better when I stopped caring about "trends".
And with so many people skating these days, you're bound to have some trends be more popular than others.
Everyone needs to wear clothing,sweatshirts,cords,flannels,t shirts,beanies,hats etc are all something we wear,can't really change that.
The people doing something for the "wrong" reasons(i still dont get that) don't affect my life, I just avoid them.
I try to like more than I dislike,life never stops moving, enjoy the small things while you can.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »
I solved all my problems by quitting skateboarding
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

gravel pitch

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 11:28:32 AM »
I pretty much agree with most of this.

You should go ahead and quit SLAP next.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »
I pretty much agree with most of this.

Expand Quote
[close]

You should go ahead and quit SLAP next.

your opinion is of great value to me.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
get wasted and pass out.

gravel pitch

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »

I'm glad, children like you need role models to look up to.

pube tube

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 12:27:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Win.

Bobbydoof

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 12:54:02 PM »
Skateboarding has become pretty gay lately.  It seems like everybody is trying to fit into a certain mold.  We got...fake style...basically anyone who claims that their current "gangster" way of landing tricks is natural.  Then we got...the tucknee kids...these kids do a lot of grabs cause they suck at fliptricks and they are usually tweaking their legs unnaturally when they land tricks.  What else??? I dunno, but it's getting harder and harder these days to find someone who hasn't artificially manufactured their "style" over a period of 3 years.  In reality, it takes most people (who have GOOD style) like ten years to fully develope it.  Style is not just how you land a trick...it's how you DO the trick.  It doesn't matter if somebody lands a little sketchy if they just blasted a kickflip up to their face over a bump tp bar.  Actually, I tend to prefer styles with a little sketch in em.  For instance, Alex Moul, Geoff Rowley, Dustin Dollin, and Ethan Fowler all have super sick style and you can tell they never once thought about it growing up.  They just skated and naturally developed into style machines.  Ya know who else has amazing style? Fabrizio Santos.  Peter Ramondetta.  Jerry Hsu.  Etc.  See what's happened though? All the skaters in their late 20's and early 30's are entering a period of super amazing fantasy style, but all the new kids are screwn it up.  Kids think they gotta have amazing style by their 3rd year of skating so they "Practice their style."  I've seen kids literally do like 100 kickflips because they wanted their arm steeze to be better.  ARM STEEZE?  Since when did skateboarders turn into such self-conscious pussies?  Does it really matter what the kid on Youtube will say about the way you move your frieking arms?  Personally, I think we need to get away from the overused songs, the artsy clips of kids feet running through leaves, lifestyle shots, and anything else that has nothing to do with skateboarding.  I used to HATE gnarly videos like Black Label or Zero, but now that every other video seems to have artsy architecture clips and time laps footage of busy highways, I find gnarly vids refreshing.  It's like "YES! This is why I started skateboarding...CAUSE IT LOOKS FRIEKING GNARLY!" 

In other news, flatground impossibles in the middle of lines are gay.  Brown cordoroys are gay.  Excessive wearing of long-sleeve flannel shirts is gay.  Backside smithgrinds with some sort of combo are gay.  Slanted mannypads are gay.  Any sort of manny to backlip is gay.  Ummm...maybe that covers it.  Anywho, all these things, if used properly and not excessively can be cool, but most of the time, they are not cool.  Oh yeah, any sort of noseslide to tailslide combos are getting pretty old.  I dunno man, kids need to quit copying what they saw in the last video and just get gnar.  If you wanna be origional, skate really fast.

you are a fucking dork

killing time

• Rep: 19
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »
i was comming to the same conclution acouple months back... i just stopped skating because i was tired of seeing the worst people skating.  little kids doing the black lip combo tricks, and what ever is the hott trick of the month.   i also stopped logging onto this dumb ass forum because of the same retarted opinions being stated. 

i came to the conclution that half of you people on this forum are just like emo kids.. you try to be non-conformists, but your just conforming to your "non-comforist" ideals. 

taking a step away from skateboarding all together has let me come back and just not care about trivial stuff any more.  just go out and skate and quit complaining.  life a lot better when your not bummed. 
Do you want to put a saddle on the lion of Juddah and ride it back to babylon?

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Totally, brah. I'm learning a lot from you by way of your superior wit and intelligence on such diverse topics as being snarky on the internet and ending sentences with prepositions.  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
get wasted and pass out.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »
i was comming to the same conclution acouple months back... i just stopped skating because i was tired of seeing the worst people skating.  little kids doing the black lip combo tricks, and what ever is the hott trick of the month.   i also stopped logging onto this dumb ass forum because of the same retarted opinions being stated. 

i came to the conclution that half of you people on this forum are just like emo kids.. you try to be non-conformists, but your just conforming to your "non-comforist" ideals. 

taking a step away from skateboarding all together has let me come back and just not care about trivial stuff any more.  just go out and skate and quit complaining.  life a lot better when your not bummed. 

Shit's weak. I'm having a sort of passing interest/hate relationship with this website. It's clearly dumb as all hell but I have exhausted my ideas for better ways to kill time at work.
get wasted and pass out.

ASSHOLES and ELBOW GREASE

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 06:40:29 PM »
This is actually right, even though i like the good "fake" style, I'm glad you pointed out the cornball slap version of "fake" style and trendiness. They act like that shit doesn't exist when i say something about it.

bandini

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »
Since when did skateboarders turn into such self-conscious pussies?

Brown cordoroys are gay.  Excessive wearing of long-sleeve flannel shirts is gay.

Preach it, brother. "You're all fags that are ruining skating cause... um, you're wearing the WRONG CLOTHES!"

Slap rules. Where else can you find idiocy like this?

ugly ass kook

• Rep: -58
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 08:21:09 PM »
In reality, it takes most people (who have GOOD style) like ten years to fully develope it. 
this is false.

killing time

• Rep: 19
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shit's weak. I'm having a sort of passing interest/hate relationship with this website. It's clearly dumb as all hell but I have exhausted my ideas for better ways to kill time at work.
maybe its time for you to pick up a new past time besides skateboarding... i started riding fixed gear bikes. 

i thought they were wack before i rode them, but after riding for a while its pretty much the same thing as skating.  you bomb hills, weave between traffic, and you can do tricks.

i dont even go onto the skateboarding gossip websites nearly as much as i used to do.  i just look at bike parts and go on fixed gear forums.  i guess you can say my interest has transitioned to another thing. but fuck, cyclists are a lot more mature and real than retarted half cab wearing "you got fake steeze im calling you out on it"  brown cords and flannel wearing people on this forum.

you should get a new dumb hobby narcissus. 
Do you want to put a saddle on the lion of Juddah and ride it back to babylon?

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 11:24:13 PM »
First off this thread is stupid, I WILL SAY THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL, SKATEBOARD BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT NOT BECAUSE YOU CARE WHAT ANY ONE ELSE THINKS ABOUT YOUR SKATING, IF YOU CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK YOU ARE NOT SKATING FOR THE RIGHT REASON! STOP CARING ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE DO, IF SOMEONE HAS FUN DOING SWITCH BENIHANNAS THEN MORE POWER TO THEM, I WOULD RATHER SKATE WITH A BUNCH OF DORKS DOING UNCOOL TRICKS THEN ANY COOL GUY WHO THINKS SKATING IS A FUCKING SPORT AND THINKS THAT THERE ARE FUCKING RULES TO SKATEBOARDING. FUCK RULES!

Second why the fuck would I ever want to quit skating because of who else skates, how the fuck does that change the fact that skating is one of the best fucking things I have ever done? If you quit skating because you are worried about what other people think or who else is skating then see above. Now you fucking kids stop fucking worrying so fucking much about stupid trivial things and understand that you only have one life to fucking lead and you should lead it for your fucking self, because before you fucking know it you will be in your 30's wondering where the time went, and hopefully you will be able to look back and be happy about where it went.

*steps down off of soap box*

ugly ass kook

• Rep: -58
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 11:54:54 PM »
message boards are the worst thing to ever happen to skateboarding

jalopy james

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 12:26:02 AM »
why is this is in the photos/video section?
KFC should give cockatiels with their variety bucket, so you can eat one bird and love another.

pube tube

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 02:01:53 AM »
message boards are the worst thing to ever happen to skateboarding
Then leave you dumb ass.

since0068

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 11:52:31 AM »
Then we have people like your ass who wants to define every skater, and which "group" they fit into, which tricks are "gay", and which style of clothing has been a little outdated.  You, my friend, are the kind of person who ruins skateboarding, for yourself.

Corona

• Rep: -12
  • EL REGRESO DE PUERTO DOMINICANO
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »
PATINA PORQUE TE GUSTA! QUIEN IMPORTA DE LOS OTROS!
EQUIPO LATINO

Boston.

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »
PATINA PORQUE TE GUSTA! QUIEN IMPORTA DE LOS OTROS!

CoolBeans

• Rep: -2
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 04:04:45 PM »
You said tuck knee kids so I stopped reading, the last thing I wanna read is a rant on some generalized bullshit