Author Topic: Really Neat Science Facts!  (Read 30130 times)

Canuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Really Neat Science Facts!
« on: March 18, 2009, 04:26:59 PM »
Post cool science facts you've read or whatever!

Today I read that in dinosaur times the days were 23 hours long. This is because every day the Earth rotates slower and slower. So in a few million years will have a 25 hour day! More time to get fuckin' baked!

gravel pitch

Re: Really Neat Science Facts!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:29:57 PM »
I hate these threads so much. Call them "bullshit I heard on the internet".

Although the one you posted is true and has to to do with tidal friction caused by the moon.

Just Green Enough

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ...but existing is basically all i do
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
i heard somewhere once that a duck's quack does not echo and scientists don't know why.
ever since, i've secretly loved ducks.
I am in fact, a homosexual like Brian Anderson

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »

Although the one you posted is true and has to to do with tidal friction caused by the moon.

Hate all you want. I depend on these treads to get me through a shift at work.

beardface

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:43:33 PM »
Post cool science facts you've read or whatever!

Today I read that in dinosaur times the days were 23 hours long. This is because every day the Earth rotates slower and slower. So in a few million years will have a 25 hour day! More time to get fuckin' baked!
this caught me off guard and i spit water all over my desk.

slap forum: unexpected hilarity at every turn.

unfortunately, i can't think of any sciency facts off the top of my head so this post is pretty useless.
She can't complain about it being gross- she's shooting pussy juice at your face.

loophole

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 04:47:32 PM »
i heard somewhere once that a duck's quack does not echo and scientists don't know why.
proved false by mythbusters

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »

i love these threads so much

my turn

an albatross can not only glide for 6 days (like no wing flapping or any of that kook seagull shit) but it can nap while doing so

a wandering albatross (see below) has a 3.6m wingspan which is apparently larger than the smallest plane!

a young albatross might circle the world up to seven times before ever touching solid earth

fill my brain with moar usless facts guise plz

arnulfo

• Rep: -1
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:04:37 PM »

owned.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »

owned.

that is the most epic poem ever!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »
Expand Quote

owned.
[close]

that is the most epic poem ever!

i disagree.

or

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 07:32:42 PM »

owned.

Also I good Iron Maiden song.
but yes, Inferno is awesome.  I read it in one sitting a few summers ago baked laying in a hammock.
do more yoga!

pube tube

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
Th great pyramid was said to be completed in 22 years, but at that rate they had to have set 1 block every 9 seconds

If our sun was a basketball in new york city, the next closest star would be a basketball in L.A

COTG 2.0

• Rep: -18
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 09:19:48 PM »
these threads rule, im glad i didnt have to be the one to make otherwise it would just be filled with hate towards me  :'(

there's a series of pics somewhere on the internet showing other star sizes in comparison to the sun and how our sun is so insanely tiny compared to some of these other stars, it is really fascinating

cotg2, if oggy did a 180 into a small cellar door would you hate? I BET NOT!

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »
If the sun were a three block radius in a city, the Earth would be about the size of a tennis ball.

do more yoga!

pube tube

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 09:29:10 PM »
A cockroach can live longer than 2 weeks without its head.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 10:05:02 PM »
Escape velocity is the speed at which something needs to travel at in order to escape a planet's graviational pull. For example to escape the Earth's gravitational pull an object must travel at 11 km/second (25,000 mph), the moon you must travel at a slow pace, because gravity is weaker - 5300 mph.

Now this is the trippy part. A black hole has a density so great that it requires an escape velocity faster than the speed of light. So, since nothing can go faster than light (as far as we know) nothing can escape the pull of a black hole....

I don't know about you, but this trips me the fuck out.

Event horizons are even trippier
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:09:06 PM by Canuck »

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »
an average gas molecule travels at 500 m/s, but it hits a ton of molecules and reverses direction a whole bunch of times. but now just think about this, if you farted out a single stink molecule in a vacuum, your fart could hit the nostril of someone you dont like who lives 3 km away in just 6 seconds
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

High Heels

• Rep: -7
  • Disco Inferno
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 11:38:42 PM »
I thought this was kind of cool, let's see if I word it correctly:

Is it a coincidence that the size of the Moon and it's distance from Earth compared to the size of the Sun and the Sun's distance to Earth....

Is it a coincidence that we have perfect eclipses?

Basically when we look up in the sky the moon and the sun are basically the same size. This is gonna be the most stupidist post ever, but fuck it, you guys probably think I made this shit. It looks like something some person would make. Google image search of the size of the moon and this was the 4th image:

Quote from: blazini
Quote from: pancake man
Expand Quote
Moment of Truth is one of my favorite albums ever, i get so psyched when Above the Clouds and The Militia come one
[close]
dont forget royalty.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 12:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
proved false by mythbusters

beat me to it....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mipe

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 02:39:53 AM »
these threads rule, im glad i didnt have to be the one to make otherwise it would just be filled with hate towards me  :'(

there's a series of pics somewhere on the internet showing other star sizes in comparison to the sun and how our sun is so insanely tiny compared to some of these other stars, it is really fascinating

you mean this http://www.forwardon.com/attachments/2009-01-19/1232384126036size_of_planets.gif ?

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 06:41:10 AM »
I thought this was kind of cool, let's see if I word it correctly:

Is it a coincidence that the size of the Moon and it's distance from Earth compared to the size of the Sun and the Sun's distance to Earth....

Basically when we look up in the sky the moon and the sun are basically the same size. This is gonna be the most stupidist post ever, but fuck it, you guys probably think I made this shit. It looks like something some person would make. Google image search of the size of the moon and this was the 4th image:

I appreciate the effort, but move this to the intelligent design thread, this is the science thread!

sparksandblood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 07:46:03 AM »
we know more about space than our deep sea oceans. weird.

It was seriously like seeing Jesus on a skateboard.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »
we know more about space than our deep sea oceans. weird.

Thats totally FUCKED! for real... ever seen that movie, the Abyss... so good..

sparksandblood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 07:54:36 AM »
you could fit mt everest in lake baikal(which is fucking amazing by the way) and still have thousands of feet of water above to spare. the depths of the oceans and their contents blow my mind. there is so much shit we have no idea exists. i wish i could drain the oceans and just lurk to my hearts content.
It was seriously like seeing Jesus on a skateboard.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 07:57:10 AM »
There's no coincidence, the moon is the end result of a nearly Mars-size planet striking the Earth back when our planet was still molten material in a big accretion disc around the sun. The Earth and our moon are made of the same stuff, but the moon lacks the big massive iron core that ensures enough gravity to hang onto any atmosphere. Basically, the moon is chemically the same as the Earth, except that it's been sterilized over a couple of billion of years by the Sun's radiation.

No, considering that most of the planets are on basically the same plane around the sun. The fact that they occasionally line up just comes with having multiple planetary bodies moving on the same plane at different distances and speeds.

Basically when we look up in the sky the moon and the sun are basically the same size.
Only now... but when the moon first formed, it took up most of the sky because it was so much closer. As our moon revolves around the Earth, it also travels farther away... currently at a rate of almost 4 centimeters a year. One day it will eventually be so far out that it drifts away into space, but by that time the Sun may already be a red giant so it won't matter, as we'll all be charcoal.

Considering that there are hundreds of stars that we know about (and probably billions that we don't) with planetary satellites, it either means that physics dictate that objects of a certain mass, chemical makeup, temperature, and a few other factors wind up creating planetary systems that are predictable (a star of a certain mass, stable for a billion years or more, with an accretion disc, typically creates some sort of system when heavier elements are attracted, forming planetary cores, then followed up by the accumulation of matter with less density, creating atmospheres, ice, gases etc).
Either that or the creator is obsessive compulsive and when he's not making galaxies, he walks around parking lots memorizing license plate numbers for no good reason.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 08:00:01 AM »
Thank-you for those well written answers!

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 08:26:29 AM »
The universe is so magical. Anyone that says science is boring and makes the universe less magical is wrong! I've been reading about wormholes lately (and if anyone knows any good book on them and other interesting theories regarding space, let me know!).

Anyways, wormholes from what I understand are shortcuts that would allow an astronaut to travel at a speed faster than light - which means they could allow for time travel.

From what I understand wormholes are created by objects with an immense mass, big enough to bend space and time. The best way to envision it is by thinking about space in 2D. Picture a paper bent in half, it will sag towards the centre. Basically a wormhole is a tunnel between the two ends of the paper...

I don't completely understand it, but whats super interesting is that mathematicians and physicists have simulated their existence using MATH!

if anyone has a better explanation, let me know

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »
you could fit mt everest in lake baikal(which is fucking amazing by the way) and still have thousands of feet of water above to spare. the depths of the oceans and their contents blow my mind. there is so much shit we have no idea exists. i wish i could drain the oceans and just lurk to my hearts content.

everything on the planet would die, but it would be pretty cool.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 08:45:36 AM »
is this saying that the time travel is forward?   if the paper is bent then the bottom part is the past and the top is the present ?

I don't know, but this is a guess. I think it depends what way you traveled through the wormhole. You could either go forward or backwards. I am just using common sense. With these kinds of things often times common sense doesn't apply though.