Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275433 times)

dillanharp

Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #1230 on: June 17, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »
This is out and it fucking rules.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1231 on: June 17, 2015, 10:42:48 PM »
I've always loved hearing/downloading demos of old thrash/death bands, something about the basement tape sound just adds all kinds of craziness to the music

*thrashes*
Anyone in here dig Sacrifice (the Canadian one, I'm sure every country in the world had a '80s metal band called "Sacrifice")?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #1232 on: June 18, 2015, 01:13:53 AM »

YES. I didnt even know they have a new album coming out, I still consider De Vermis Mysteriis or Snakes For The Divine as new.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:16:11 AM by Filip »

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1233 on: June 22, 2015, 08:08:11 PM »
new high on fire is so fucking good. its like a more cohesive de vermis mysteriis

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1234 on: June 24, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »

WOW! so good... Saw them last summer and it was a really great show!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1235 on: June 24, 2015, 08:20:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
every few years I come back around to this band... it always reminds me that they are one of the greatest bands ever.  I saw them during the Dopesick era and it was by far the most intense live show I've ever seen.  Never really cared for any of their releases after that but I still hold them near and dear:

[close]
I got to see them play in October for the first time. It was awesome! Then I saw Sleep last month. It's been a bit of a bucket list type of year.

EYEHATEGOD are sick. Sometimes, when Im in a mood, I can listen to their whole discography from start to finish, and sometimes I just wonder why the fuck am I listening to those psychos.
[close]

I know what you guys mean. When I find myself at a bar whose clientele I don't like and they have one of those digital jukeboxes, I've taken to playing a game called "put on Eyehategod, then leave."

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #1236 on: June 24, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
I spent the last two summers in the pan handle of Nebraska working for the forest service. A little town of about 5000, real cowboys and indians shit. Literally, the Pine Ridge rez wasn't far away. Anyway, I liked going into the "cool guy" bar, and play a bunch of sludgy doom metal for all the hicks, then sit, sipping my beer watching them get pissed. I'd throw in some George Jones here and there, just to toss them a bone.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1237 on: June 25, 2015, 06:37:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

WOW! so good... Saw them last summer and it was a really great show!

Same here, and I loved every second of that.

Anyway, Im seeing Suicidal Tendencies tonight, and I cant even think straight all day at work, I havent been this hyped in a long time.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1239 on: July 13, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »
Going to Spain to the Resurrection fest for the 2nd time this wednesday, really hyped on it. I'm a big fan of Metal and Hardcore so this is the best fest i can go around here.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:10:51 PM by Sk.A.T.A.N »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #1240 on: July 13, 2015, 07:24:46 PM »
I went to Ieper Fest when Pig Destroyer and Nasum played a few years ago and it was awesome.

http://www.ieperfest.com/

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1241 on: July 14, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »
I went to Ieper Fest when Pig Destroyer and Nasum played a few years ago and it was awesome.

http://www.ieperfest.com/

Now that's a great fest! I wish it was closer to me, they always have a great line up.

I'm looking forward to go to this fest that is really close to my hometown. I really need to see Amenra and Converge again, and i'm really hyped for Full of Hell and Altar of Plagues! I think the line up is not closed yet also.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1242 on: July 14, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
Full of Hell always puts on a great show.  Go see Gnaw Their Tongues too.  And it'll be cool to see Altar of Plagues before they shut down entirely.

Koji-Wu

« Reply #1243 on: July 15, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »
Go see Gnaw Their Tongues too.  

I second this - Live will be an intense experience

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1244 on: July 15, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »
And Crucial Blast just announced that he has a new album coming out too:

http://crucialblast.bandcamp.com/album/abyss-of-longing-throats

I'll probably pre-order this.  Just off of this one song, it sounds more like what I'd be interested in.  Closer to a noise version of his Cloak of Altering project (which I actually prefer to GTT).

EDIT: It looks like Crucial Blast took down the song they had up on Bandcamp, but Decibel is streaming a track now. http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2015/7/13/exclusive-premiere-gnaw-their-tongues-gnaw-through-flesh
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:50:39 PM by oyolar »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1245 on: July 15, 2015, 05:07:45 PM »
Going to Spain to the Resurrection fest for the 2nd time this wednesday, really hyped on it. I'm a big fan of Metal and Hardcore so this is the best fest i can go around here.

DAMN! Even though I would've liked to have seen Refused in a more intimate environment I'd still kill to see them live.
Also, Satanic Surfers ... there's a blast from the past. Funnily enough I still listen to 'Fragments and Fractions'

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1246 on: July 19, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
refused live are 110% worth it. especially if you cant get a ticket in time and get one cheap from desperate scalpers on stubhub the day of the show. wasn't crazy about the new album but its growing on me.

new high on fire and mutoid man records have been in heavy rotation since i picked em up, new between the buried and me is great too (definitely a grower)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1247 on: July 20, 2015, 11:46:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

DAMN! Even though I would've liked to have seen Refused in a more intimate environment I'd still kill to see them live.
Also, Satanic Surfers ... there's a blast from the past. Funnily enough I still listen to 'Fragments and Fractions'

Refused was one of the best gigs of all the fest if not the best! They played all the classics, starting with Rather be Dead and closing with New Noise, people went crazy!
I didnt saw Satanic Surfers, they played at the same time as Behemoth and i was curious to see them. Not that great tho.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1248 on: July 20, 2015, 11:56:25 AM »
refused live are 110% worth it. especially if you cant get a ticket in time and get one cheap from desperate scalpers on stubhub the day of the show. wasn't crazy about the new album but its growing on me.

new high on fire and mutoid man records have been in heavy rotation since i picked em up, new between the buried and me is great too (definitely a grower)
https://cvltnation.bandcamp.com/album/sleeps-holy-mountain-the-cvlt-nation-sessions
You should check this out.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1249 on: July 20, 2015, 11:52:39 PM »
Refused was one of the best gigs of all the fest if not the best! They played all the classics, starting with Rather be Dead and closing with New Noise, people went crazy!
I didnt saw Satanic Surfers, they played at the same time as Behemoth and i was curious to see them. Not that great tho.

DAMN! am officially jealous (wrong thread I know)!

You guys got me onto all those proto-death/ grind demo tapes which is funny cuz I usually can't listen to 99.9% of death metal. must be the thrash influence coupled with all that raw energy.
I feel like there must be vaults of unknown 80s thrash out there that most of us have never heard about. Let's get some thrash 'preesh going

SkateViolence

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1250 on: July 25, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

DAMN! am officially jealous (wrong thread I know)!

You guys got me onto all those proto-death/ grind demo tapes which is funny cuz I usually can't listen to 99.9% of death metal. must be the thrash influence coupled with all that raw energy.
I feel like there must be vaults of unknown 80s thrash out there that most of us have never heard about. Let's get some thrash 'preesh going

I can't usually get down with straight up thrash. I prefer death/thrash and black/thrash. That being said, here are a couple standouts that I do enjoy:

Not strictly thrash, but early, raw death metal.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1251 on: July 27, 2015, 11:17:24 PM »
I can't usually get down with straight up thrash. I prefer death/thrash and black/thrash. That being said, here are a couple standouts that I do enjoy:

Thanks mate, I'll check them out! Have heard good things about death strike when I was researching all those proto-grind/ death/ thrash bands
I wanna hear stuff that makes me remember the first time I heard Razor

Filip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1252 on: July 28, 2015, 02:19:57 AM »
Any Pals going on Brutal Assault in Czech Republic next week? If so, we can have some beers and shit.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1253 on: July 31, 2015, 06:36:49 AM »
Going to Neurosis tonight in Lawrence. You going Luke?

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #1254 on: August 09, 2015, 12:00:51 AM »
deafheaven announced their new album "New Bermuda" and a tour. im pretty hyped to see them

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1255 on: August 09, 2015, 03:35:16 PM »
new black dahlia murder leaked and its a fucking ripper

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1256 on: August 12, 2015, 05:28:56 PM »
That new Deafheaven is something i'm really interested in. Sunbather was one of my favourites of 2013.

Havent listened to the new TBDM yet, but they usually put out solid records. Also looking forward for the new Hate Eternal and finally give the new Cattle Decapitation a spin.

Been listening to some Akercocke lately, mostly the "Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone" and i'm blown away by this stuff. It goes from prog moments to pure Death Metal madness with sublime musicianship, such great musicians.

Also, listened the new Fear Factory record today and felt like i was some robot/human hybrid in the 22st century! ahah It's reminds me a lot of the Demanufacture/Obsolete era which is great. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:56:04 PM by Sk.A.T.A.N »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Ron B

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1257 on: August 19, 2015, 12:42:23 AM »
Lately I've been digging a lot of Prog Rock/Metal. Also Djent
So many good bands out there that I'm just hearing for the first time.

Also, has anyone else heard the new Rivers of Nihil? Damn

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1258 on: August 19, 2015, 04:53:40 PM »
That new Deafheaven is something i'm really interested in. Sunbather was one of my favourites of 2013.

Been listening to some Akercocke lately, mostly the "Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone" and i'm blown away by this stuff. It goes from prog moments to pure Death Metal madness with sublime musicianship, such great musicians.

Yeah, Akercocke is awesome.  "Verdelet" and the first half of "Shelter from the Sand" are pretty much perfect.

Have you listened to the two bands that came out of Akercocke's ashes, Voices and The Antichrist Imperium?  I've been listening to Voices a lot lately and am excited about The Antichrist Imperium's album, which I'll pre-order once I have money.

https://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/from-the-human-forest-create-a-fugue-of-imaginary-rain
https://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/london
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/The_Antichrist_Imperium/The_Antichrist_Imperium/526797

And here's a new Deafheaven song while we're at it:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/deafheaven-song-brought-to-the-water-stream

dillanharp

« Reply #1259 on: August 19, 2015, 09:38:33 PM »
New album from the Sword this Friday. New song is... Different.
http://vevo.ly/UhQ6Fn