Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275295 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #1260 on: August 20, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »
Yeah, Akercocke is awesome.  "Verdelet" and the first half of "Shelter from the Sand" are pretty much perfect.

Have you listened to the two bands that came out of Akercocke's ashes, Voices and The Antichrist Imperium?  I've been listening to Voices a lot lately and am excited about The Antichrist Imperium's album, which I'll pre-order once I have money.

https://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/from-the-human-forest-create-a-fugue-of-imaginary-rain
https://candlelightrecordsusa.bandcamp.com/album/london
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/The_Antichrist_Imperium/The_Antichrist_Imperium/526797

And here's a new Deafheaven song while we're at it:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/deafheaven-song-brought-to-the-water-stream

I know Voices, i have their album from the last year, "London", on my phone to hear next. The things i listened seem really good!
The Antichrist Imperium album already leaked, i may give it a listen.

New Deafheaven song is killer! More metal riffs but equally great.

Heard this thing past week, I thought this was a band in a TBDM core esque-type but things got interesting with this new Behemoth kinda vibe going on... Kinda remember me how Abigail Williams gone Trve Black through releases ahah. Looking forward for this!
Dark Sermon - "Rat King"

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #1261 on: August 20, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »
im liking the new deafheaven song. not nearly as emotive for me as anything on sunbather, (that whole album makes me feel some typa way) but its still sick.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #1262 on: August 21, 2015, 02:05:25 PM »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1263 on: August 22, 2015, 08:56:35 AM »
Lately I've been digging a lot of Prog Rock/Metal. Also Djent
So many good bands out there that I'm just hearing for the first time.

Sithu Aye - Moonrise (I)

CHON - Splash (Official Music Video)

INTERVALS // EPIPHANY // OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO

Also, has anyone else heard the new Rivers of Nihil? Damn

Rivers of Nihil "Sand Baptism" (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

I listen to every type of heavy music so i had a thing for that kind of prog/djent vibe some years ago... Now i got really tired of the genre, 90% are clones of each other, but there's still some bands i like!
Meshuggah, the godfathers of all djents kids, still on my top 5 bands ever... But they dont need any introductions! haha

Vildhjarta is a band that i fucking love. Nobody goes as heavy/dark as them is this genre. Saw them past year and my balls were on the floor. THALL:
VILDHJARTA - Dagger (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

The Contortionist is amazing too. I am more a fan of their early stuff but their new proggy stuff is sweet too.
The Contortionist - Language I: Intuition

TesseracT is softer but is so good, Animals As Leaders is always on point too... I could talk about so much more.

I'm also stoked that Sikth is back together again! One of a kind band. They going to release a new EP:
http://www.itdjents.com/news/news-sikth-unveils-the-new-album-artwork-and-announces-a-new-tour/

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Ron B

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1264 on: August 22, 2015, 09:21:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Lately I've been digging a lot of Prog Rock/Metal. Also Djent
So many good bands out there that I'm just hearing for the first time.

Sithu Aye - Moonrise (I)

CHON - Splash (Official Music Video)

INTERVALS // EPIPHANY // OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO

Also, has anyone else heard the new Rivers of Nihil? Damn

Rivers of Nihil "Sand Baptism" (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

[close]

I listen to every type of heavy music so i had a thing for that kind of prog/djent vibe some years ago... Now i got really tired of the genre, 90% are clones of each other, but there's still some bands i like!
Meshuggah, the godfathers of all djents kids, still on my top 5 bands ever... But they dont need any introductions! haha

Vildhjarta is a band that i fucking love. Nobody goes as heavy/dark as them is this genre. Saw them past year and my balls were on the floor. THALL:
VILDHJARTA - Dagger (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

The Contortionist is amazing too. I am more a fan of their early stuff but their new proggy stuff is sweet too.
The Contortionist - Language I: Intuition

TesseracT is softer but is so good, Animals As Leaders is always on point too... I could talk about so much more.

I'm also stoked that Sikth is back together again! One of a kind band. They going to release a new EP:
http://www.itdjents.com/news/news-sikth-unveils-the-new-album-artwork-and-announces-a-new-tour/

I hear ya, there's as much crap out there as there is good. 
& Vildhjarta is such a great band, I love how they're as melodic as they are heavy.

VILDHJARTA - Dimman (New Track!)

The Contortionist is one of my favorite bands at the moment. Intrinsic is one hell of an album, a nice blend of heavy with melody. I'm so bummed I missed out on their recent tour with Animals as Leaders & Between the Buried and Me, that was a prog rock dream tour right there. I'm hoping to catch them on their next tour with Tesseract. Not a big Tesseract fan myself, but I'm slowly starting to ease into them.

Another good band was Last Chance to Reason. Mike Lessard's (singer for Contortionist) old group. Seems like all the members are busy doing different things now.

Last Chance to Reason - "The Artist" (Official Track Stream)

As for Sikth, that's a name I hear a lot but never actually checked em out. The guitarists for Protest the Hero are always praising them as a big part of their inspiration. Which songs do you recommend?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1265 on: August 23, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »

& Vildhjarta is such a great band, I love how they're as melodic as they are heavy.

The Contortionist is one of my favorite bands at the moment. Intrinsic is one hell of an album, a nice blend of heavy with melody. I'm so bummed I missed out on their recent tour with Animals as Leaders & Between the Buried and Me, that was a prog rock dream tour right there. I'm hoping to catch them on their next tour with Tesseract. Not a big Tesseract fan myself, but I'm slowly starting to ease into them.

Another good band was Last Chance to Reason. Mike Lessard's (singer for Contortionist) old group. Seems like all the members are busy doing different things now.

As for Sikth, that's a name I hear a lot but never actually checked em out. The guitarists for Protest the Hero are always praising them as a big part of their inspiration. Which songs do you recommend?

I already know Last Chance To Reason... They are really similar with The Contortionist in my opinion. Great band.

I wouldnt miss that tour, 3 of the greatest bands of this genre. Your failing man! haha
I'm a little over the last Between the Buried and Me releases. I like the most when they were a little angrier/heavier. My favourite is Alaska with Colors coming in a close second. Now they got too Dream Theater'ish i think...  :-\

Sikth i would recommend you all the "Death of a Dead Day" record. 2nd album by them and the best one for me.
SikTh - Death of a Dead Day (Full Album)
Lot's of people dont like their vocals but i find them funny and dont bother me at all. I think is an adquired taste! haha

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Ron B

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1266 on: August 24, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I already know Last Chance To Reason... They are really similar with The Contortionist in my opinion. Great band.

I wouldnt miss that tour, 3 of the greatest bands of this genre. Your failing man! haha
I'm a little over the last Between the Buried and Me releases. I like the most when they were a little angrier/heavier. My favourite is Alaska with Colors coming in a close second. Now they got too Dream Theater'ish i think...  :-\

Sikth i would recommend you all the "Death of a Dead Day" record. 2nd album by them and the best one for me.
SikTh - Death of a Dead Day (Full Album)
Lot's of people dont like their vocals but i find them funny and dont bother me at all. I think is an adquired taste! haha

Haha. I know I screwed up there, but the date I planned on catching landed on a weekday & had to work.
I've actually been digging BTBAM's newer material way more than their older stuff. That earlier materiel just didn't appeal to me. Especially their first album. But once Colors came around is when they started to get my attention. The Parallax II is just a great album from beginning to end, & Coma Ecliptic reminded me of all the things I love about Prog Rock. But I can see why you wouldn't dig it too much. Dream Theater is a good example of where they're heading. It kinda reminds me of how Mastodon started off with "Remissions" & ended up making "Crack The Skye" years later.

On a side note, they do a kick ass cover of King Crimson

Three of a Perfect Pair

As for Sikth, that's something there haha. A lot of songs were hit or miss, but I'm sure after a few more listens it'll catch on.
I'm guessing Dillinger Escape Plan are inspired by these gents, I'm kind of getting the same vibe here as I would from Dillinger. A lot of spontaneity & odd time signatures. 

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1267 on: August 25, 2015, 05:20:23 AM »
Haha. I know I screwed up there, but the date I planned on catching landed on a weekday & had to work.
I've actually been digging BTBAM's newer material way more than their older stuff. That earlier materiel just didn't appeal to me. Especially their first album. But once Colors came around is when they started to get my attention. The Parallax II is just a great album from beginning to end, & Coma Ecliptic reminded me of all the things I love about Prog Rock. But I can see why you wouldn't dig it too much. Dream Theater is a good example of where they're heading. It kinda reminds me of how Mastodon started off with "Remissions" & ended up making "Crack The Skye" years later.

On a side note, they do a kick ass cover of King Crimson

Three of a Perfect Pair

As for Sikth, that's something there haha. A lot of songs were hit or miss, but I'm sure after a few more listens it'll catch on.
I'm guessing Dillinger Escape Plan are inspired by these gents, I'm kind of getting the same vibe here as I would from Dillinger. A lot of spontaneity & odd time signatures. 

I like BTBAM newer stuff, i'm just always never in the right mood to listen it, so i usually find it borring... And the albuns are so big, its hard to 
keep track on everything! haha

Mastodon's Remission is my favourite by them, just raw heaviness, Althrough i really like Crack The Skye sound, both different but both good.

In fact Dillinger came around sooner than Sikth. First TDEP release was in '97 and Sikth was in 02'. Sikth has for sure some high and lows in that album, but i could point a single song for you haha.
The Dillinger Escape Plan is other band i love so much, older or newer releases, this guys just know how to make great songs, either with full caos or full catchiness...

I'm a big fan of Mathcore and related music so i'll post one of my favourite releases this year. Rolo Tomassi's "Grievances", such a beautiful album.
Rolo Tomassi - Opalescent
(this is a softer one but it's so good it hurts)

Full album:
Rolo Tomassi - Grievances (Full Album)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1268 on: August 25, 2015, 02:23:30 PM »
your taste meshes very well with mine good sir

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1269 on: August 31, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
(I dont know what i've done but i deleted my previous post without noticing...)

Well this is my 666th post so i'll post a Blasfemic Black/Death classic for the glory of Satan! :v

Deicide - Legion (Full Album)
(First time hearing in a long long time, still so good!)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #1270 on: September 02, 2015, 02:47:23 AM »
I just put on a new Lamb Of God record, and its fucking fantastic. Check it out if you have some time to kill.

dillanharp

« Reply #1271 on: September 05, 2015, 08:04:18 PM »
Trying to replace the hoodie that took a shit after 10 years, found these instead....
https://www.indiemerchstore.com/item/33065

dillanharp

« Reply #1272 on: September 05, 2015, 09:52:49 PM »
I just put on a new Lamb Of God record, and its fucking fantastic. Check it out if you have some time to kill.

I have a giant soft spot for Lamb of God, since "as the palaces burn" was playing in my headphones when I crossed the Kuwaiti border in to Iraq. It's good, and Chino Moreno is on the album, and I'm Deftones or die.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1273 on: September 06, 2015, 07:41:16 AM »
I don't post on here that much, but my favorite grind album of all time was just remastered with a previously unreleased track.  I prefer the older one because it had more grime to it, but it's still good.  It's streaming if you're interested:  Pig Destroyer's Prowler In The Yard

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/09/01/exclusive-album-stream-pig-destroyers-prowler-in-the-yard-deluxe-reissue/?utm_source=Relapse+Label+Newsletter&utm_campaign=aaaae5ebad-Label_Newsletter_09-03_A&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_79ae315d37-aaaae5ebad-311329833&goal=0_79ae315d37-aaaae5ebad-311329833&mc_cid=aaaae5ebad&mc_eid=7eb13daa94

Man, that's such a classic! I remember having like 13 years and having the "Piss Angel" clip on my old PC... It was the scariest song i had at that time and loved it! I've been a Pig Destroyer fan since... I still play Prowler In The Yard from time to time, "this is beautiful, this is art" always gets me pumped. I havent listened much of Terrifyer yet, but their last 2 albuns are fucking great too, Phantom Limb is a big favourite of mine.

Pig Destroyer - Thought Crime Spree

Also, Hate! i remember one time i went to your blog, but i dont remember the link anymore, can you post it here? i remember having a great music selection there. 

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1274 on: September 06, 2015, 07:49:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a giant soft spot for Lamb of God, since "as the palaces burn" was playing in my headphones when I crossed the Kuwaiti border in to Iraq. It's good, and Chino Moreno is on the album, and I'm Deftones or die.

I would gnar you if i could! Deftones are in my top 3 favourite bands ever fo'sho. I love every Chino related project too (Team Sleep, Crosses †††, Palms).

I havent listened to the new LoG yet but i dont feel that hyped about it, i didnt like the last one that much and the songs i heard from this new one arent doing any better. Last great album by them was Wrath.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1275 on: September 06, 2015, 07:15:31 PM »
new lamb of god is a lot better than i expected, the fact that its 10 tracks (aside from two bonuses) rather than the bloated 14 on the last record really makes a difference. the song with chino is probably my favorite track.

phantom limb may be my favorite album of all time

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1276 on: September 07, 2015, 02:33:41 AM »
new lamb of god is a lot better than i expected, the fact that its 10 tracks (aside from two bonuses) rather than the bloated 14 on the last record really makes a difference. the song with chino is probably my favorite track.

OK, i'll give the new LoG a spin then!

To keep the adrenaline going, do somebody listened to the new Ramming Speed yet? Holy fuck it is good...

http://youtu.be/Dx3pSgOruX4

Or the new Noisem?

http://youtu.be/RRtxh3kW0cA

This 2 records are making my neck sore!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Filip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1277 on: September 07, 2015, 04:31:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

OK, i'll give the new LoG a spin then!

To keep the adrenaline going, do somebody listened to the new Ramming Speed yet? Holy fuck it is good...

http://youtu.be/Dx3pSgOruX4

Or the new Noisem?

http://youtu.be/RRtxh3kW0cA

This 2 records are making my neck sore!

I saw Ramming Speed a month ago on Brutal Assault in Czech Republic, and god damn it was entertaining as hell. Havent heard any album yet, but I might give this one a try today.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1278 on: September 07, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

the goat cheese of Mendes

« Reply #1279 on: September 08, 2015, 01:49:22 AM »
Ohhh yes. I saw Yob last year, and Marrow was one of the most intense and moving song I've witnessed.
Black Cobra also played in my town with Acid King in April, and as usual it was awesome.
Yob and Black cobra, together… One hell of a line-up. Enjoy!

For those who don't know, Fenriz from Darkthrone is doing a monthly podcast about releases he's into and another one on weird metal song, wich is also reallly coool if you're into heavy and speed metal with strange vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/heavytassen

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1280 on: September 08, 2015, 12:43:03 PM »
I saw Ramming Speed a month ago on Brutal Assault in Czech Republic, and god damn it was entertaining as hell. Havent heard any album yet, but I might give this one a try today.

That for sure had to be a fun show! Brutal Assault always has such a great line up. I'm jealous of you.

Also, Yob might be my favourite Sludge/Doom band. I listened to Atma and The Great Cessation lots of times when chilling. Still bummed i failed to catch them with Pallbearer at Amplifest in the past year, but i was broke as fuck at the time.

But now i already bought this year ticket and it's going to to be insane! Converge, Amenra, Full of Hell, Altar of Plagues... just to name a few. 2 weeks left, i'm hyped!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

dillanharp

« Reply #1281 on: September 08, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
I'd go to a Yob/Black Cobra show. I've seen Black Cobra so many times, just opening for people. Think they're pretty local.

Yob helps me write research papers.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #1282 on: September 09, 2015, 05:40:27 AM »
One of my first "dates" with my wife was a Black Cobra house show here in Lincoln. She bought me an LP and we've been together ever since.

First time I saw YOB was the first time I ever saw a sludge/doom band. I fucking hated it. It's just not the kind of music you can get into by going to see the bands. You have to listen to it loud at home first. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I didn't get it, now that's most of the metal that I listen to.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

chirs

« Reply #1283 on: September 15, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
another song off deafheavens new album dropped and its fucking fantastic
Deafheaven - "Come Back"

Filip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1284 on: September 25, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »
Going to see this band tonight. They are a small band from my country/Slovakia/, and they fucking destroy live! Old school european thrash, kinda like old Destruction, Sodom.

Majster Kat - Vl�da šakalov
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:53:20 AM by Filip »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #1285 on: October 21, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »
another song off deafheavens new album dropped and its fucking fantastic
Deafheaven - "Come Back"

whole album has been on steady repeat for me

anyone else who's into this type of metal have recomendations for similar stuff?

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #1286 on: October 21, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »
I play bass in a doom/postrock band0.

And I do all the visuals as well.

for fans of NEUROSIS, OMEGA MASSIF, AMENRA etc...

Hemelbestormer

chirs

« Reply #1287 on: October 21, 2015, 10:05:35 PM »
that shits sick, @distantrumors!

@sleazy, here are some albums to check out. i havent had any other blackish metal bands evoke the same feelings as anything deafheaven
lantlos - neon
alcest - ecailles de lune
██████ (aka nic)- demo
archivist - s/t

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1288 on: October 26, 2015, 04:39:48 PM »
Great stuff Distant Rumours! I dig this Neurosis/AmenRa vibe... Liked on Facebook page!

Sleazy, like already mentioned, check Lantlos. Their .Neon album is breathtaking.
LantlĂ´s - These Nights Were Ours

Also check Castevet, Mounds of Ash is a great album.

Castevet - Red Star Sans Chastity

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1289 on: October 26, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
Came across this guys randomly this week. Been really hooked on this song. It has a Sludge/Traditional Doom/Post-Metal vibe, that i think is pretty unique. It reminds me of Admiral Angry + Pallbearer, wierd mix i know! haha

HANGMAN'S CHAIR "DRIPPING LOW" OFFICIAL VIDEO

Also, for the Black Metal guys, this is massive! Great french band, the melancholic vibe is all there... They even have a song with Niege from Alcest!
DÉLUGE - Houle (Official music video)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP