Author Topic: Cool Encounters  (Read 1919 times)

FirstTimeCaller411

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
Cool Encounters
« on: April 03, 2023, 03:31:44 PM »
Anyone have cool encounters with people in the industry while working at a shop? TMs, skaters, reps?

I had a Vans rep drop off a pair of shoes when I worked at a shop a few years ago which kind of made me a fan forever.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
Re: Cool Encounters
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 11:09:17 PM »
Cool Encounters of the Skate Kind

I saw Nick Dompierre at the skatepark in Fairhaven, MA. He did some big bs 360 melons over a spine in black leather Ipath Grasshoppers.

Lin Thizzy

• Rep: 86
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 11:25:29 AM »

I saw Nick Dompierre at the skatepark in Fairhaven, MA. He did some big bs 360 melons over a spine in black leather Ipath Grasshoppers.

skinny long hair beanie Dompierre or hella swole squat booty Dompierre?
not that it matters cuz any era Dompierre doing bs 360 melons over a spine in black ipath grasshoppers sounds sick

pre fully flared era there was this crail rep jaime (said like "high may") that would bless rep-flow boxes of craig wood and royals and nixon watches and shit to all the shop rats at my local
he'd usually only be in the shop for a few minutes to take inventory and chop it up with the owner but sometimes he'd tell us stories about sitting courtside at the laker game with koston and eating at some fancy la restaurant postgame with kobe and shit
maybe he was lyin thru his teeth but at the time he was a walking talking emblem of cool
bro had the fully activated kundalini cool guy aura
like he didnt even need to say anything but you knew he disapproved of your kit, style, personality, whatever just by his body language
jaime - if you out there i hope youre loving life and still ballin out flyin in pjs with skateboard elites and celebrities

slimvanilla

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 10:05:30 PM »
met Dashawn Jordan at Babylon and he was the coolest guy. super down to earth and humble

also mosh pitted with Alex Midler once at a Kenny Beats set lol

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 04:40:07 AM »
When I was working at Starbucks the supra team sans penny came through randomly. Dunno if they were on a demo tour or what. Got to see some of them skate out in the parking lot and pros are so set apart even from the dopest skater you know irl.

Like I see perfect kickflips all the time, but there's an extra 🤌 to all their tricks that normies don't have even if they're really good. Maybe it's because a pro kickflip etc looks like their version rather than trying to replicate someone elses.

Was fan girling in the parking lot, woulda hopped in the van. They kicked a soccer ball around and I was surprised at how good they all were at that. Either way they were all super nice and polite.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 11:00:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

not that it matters cuz any era Dompierre doing bs 360 melons over a spine in black ipath grasshoppers sounds sick

pre fully flared era there was this crail rep jaime (said like "high may") that would bless rep-flow boxes of craig wood and royals and nixon watches and shit to all the shop rats at my local
he'd usually only be in the shop for a few minutes to take inventory and chop it up with the owner but sometimes he'd tell us stories about sitting courtside at the laker game with koston and eating at some fancy la restaurant postgame with kobe and shit
maybe he was lyin thru his teeth but at the time he was a walking talking emblem of cool
like he didnt even need to say anything but you knew he disapproved of your kit, style, personality, whatever just by his body language
jaime - if you out there i hope youre loving life and still ballin out flyin in pjs with skateboard elites and celebrities

It might have been in like 2001, so it was pre skinny pants. Probably skating a 5boro or Solstice shop deck or something.

FirstTimeCaller411

• Rep: -12
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 04:18:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Love this. This is the kind of thing I wanted to read and hear about from people!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 06:55:23 AM »
Like I see perfect kickflips all the time, but there's an extra 🤌 to all their tricks that normies don't have even if they're really good. Maybe it's because a pro kickflip etc looks like their version rather than trying to replicate someone elses

That actually is totally it.

Bill Salt

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 09:31:36 AM »
I met Scott Bourne on a spot in Paris.He wasn't cool at all.

HarryScallywag

• Rep: 4
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2023, 12:55:29 PM »
I seen an old lady chola with Tony Hawk's eyebrows last sesh.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 80
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 12:23:06 AM »
met Dashawn Jordan at Babylon and he was the coolest guy. super down to earth and humble
I met Dashawn years ago when he was flow/hometown hero level of fame (2016ish I think) and yeah, super humble and polite. I’m really happy to see how far he’s made it in skateboarding.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 07:36:10 AM »
One day Willy Santos cheered me on when he saw me fs five o this knee-high ledge in a San Diego school....Only problem was, I still pushed mongo at the time! To this day I wonder if he thought I was skating switch or he was just being nice.
Real slap confession: I pushed mongo till the ripe old age of 22.....

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2023, 10:36:43 AM »
One day Willy Santos cheered me on when he saw me fs five o this knee-high ledge in a San Diego school....Only problem was, I still pushed mongo at the time! To this day I wonder if he thought I was skating switch or he was just being nice.

I pushed mongo until 25! But we are among the greats, including Dressen and Stranger.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2023, 10:46:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I pushed mongo until 25! But we are among the greats, including Dressen and Stranger.

say what!? oh man, feeling much better now, glad to see I wasn't the only misfit ha! now that you mention it, I do remember Dressen pushing mongo in the savannah slamma vid.....
I guess the mongo prejudice is still alive though, cause someone just kooked me (I'll pretend it's because of that confession, much funnier IMHO!)

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2023, 04:47:22 AM »
Don't forget Bill Danforth!

Funny to revisit. I don't think I've ever realized he was wearing a bike helmet and full pads. He's like my version of Joe Valdez. Bill rules.

4wheeldrive

• Rep: 2
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2023, 06:29:19 PM »
Mike Carroll gave me his complete at the LA High banks.

Some friends and I drove around checking out spots in LA that day. I think my deck snapped at the previous spot so I was just hanging around while friends skated. Mike Carroll showed up with some dude and played a game of skate. After his session he just walked up said I could have it and handed me his board. White deck with a blue girl logo.
Anyway, sit back, relax, open up a tasty beverage, and enjoy our feature presentation.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2023, 03:10:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

say what!? oh man, feeling much better now, glad to see I wasn't the only misfit ha! now that you mention it, I do remember Dressen pushing mongo in the savannah slamma vid.....
I guess the mongo prejudice is still alive though, cause someone just kooked me (I'll pretend it's because of that confession, much funnier IMHO!)

@OldieButFrenchie @Frank and Fred gnarred <3
I started out goofy footed and this kid told me that was wrong so I switched to regular footed and was mongo for a month or so. I wonder if this means that Julien Stranger has a strong switch push but I can't recall ever seeing it in a video.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 08:11:21 AM by funeral_tuxedo »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2023, 10:01:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I started out goofy footed and this kid told me that was wrong so I switch to regular footed and was mongo for a month or so. I wonder if this means that Julien Stranger has a strong switch push but I can't recall ever seeing it in a video.

mongo club!! fun fact: me and my friends used to call mongo "French pushing"....(à la french) cause so many people did it in France, where skate culture was not really developped in those pre-internet days...

also pretty funny this guy told you skating goofy was wrong!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2023, 07:56:18 AM »
Dressen would push with both legs it was called ‘the jog’. He had a trick tip doing it in skateboarder mag in the 70’s…

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2023, 08:23:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I started out goofy footed and this kid told me that was wrong so I switch to regular footed and was mongo for a month or so. I wonder if this means that Julien Stranger has a strong switch push but I can't recall ever seeing it in a video.
[close]

mongo club!! fun fact: me and my friends used to call mongo "French pushing"....(à la french) cause so many people did it in France, where skate culture was not really developped in those pre-internet days...

also pretty funny this guy told you skating goofy was wrong!

Yeah I always wondered why he said that. I moved away during my mongo month and never saw him again so I guess I'll never know. Life pre-Google meant you sometimes had to trust people who turned out to be lying. In the early 90s people would just lie to me about all kinds of stuff. Some random oldster would come up to me while I was skating in some parking lot and tell me they were a former 80s pro so often that you'd think Boston had some kind of giant 1980s skate-retirement community.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 02:55:22 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

SwitchNollieHeel

• Rep: -6
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2023, 09:03:20 AM »
Met Fred Gall at a ipath demo in the late 2000s, mans busted his face open with a flat ground three flip and then helped me consume all my beers

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2023, 04:17:29 PM »
The last one that comes to mind (which I've mentioned elsewhere on the board) is Wes Kremer. Ran into him at a Brian Jonestown Massacre show at the Observatory in San Diego. Both our groups were walking into the venue. I said "What's up, Wes?" Quick chat, shared fist bumps, and introduced himself to my wife. Ripper and super nice guy.