Author Topic: Jeff Lenoce | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 104  (Read 12426 times)

ChiefSQueff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -263
Re: Jeff Lenoce | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 104
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if the woodshops raise the prices the Revive boards will go up too. Its fucked that an extra $5 steers you away from your favorite brand and sends you to the shredquarters to buy a Revive deck.
[close]
Do you hear the rumors that woodshops are raising their price? No. It’s board brands that want to raise the price. Not even board brands, this shit is really only being discussed by kooks such as Mikey Alfred and Roger Bagley, not respected heads like Jim Theibuad or Reynolds.
[close]

To be completely fair, I believe the wholesale cost for most decks is between $35-38. Shops usually mark that up to like $50-$55, and they often might give you a free sheet of grip. I can assure that few other industries operate with such a low margin. Sure, shops make some money off of decks, but when you account for daily overhead and other factors, they certainly aren't rolling in the dough solely thanks to skateboard sales. I do assume that shoes, clothing, accessories, etc. do have near a fifty percent margin, which is where cash is more likely to get made. While shops make money from skateboards, it's not a whole lot, comparatively speaking, and I look at having a nice selection of decks in a shop as customer convenience and we should be grateful for the options that we get and the prices that we currently pay for them.

Another thing, skateboarders are generally overly consumptive and plenty of good skateboards get thrown away for unnecessary reasons like not having enough pop or the sense of novelty of the deck wearing off to the owner--surely not the rule, but it happens, and I'd be stoked if a five dollar price inflation prevented that sort of thing a bit more. Just my two cents, which probably isn't worth too much.

Not if you go to Willy workshop

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
Blame the Federal Reserve.

Inflation has been out of control since 1913 as more dollars are printed and thus the purchasing power of each dollar has declined a massive amount so increases in prices are inevitable.

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Based on the "How old are you and how often do you skate" thread, raising board prices would affect most people complaining about once per year.
[close]

you have it backwards. the less old guys skate the more skate shit we buy.
[close]

Exactly! I'm hurt and can't skate but I've spent hundreds on skate stuff in the past week.  :-X
You guys are probably right, which in turn makes the complaints about a rise in prices less valid.
MN -> IL

ogbaker

• Rep: 13
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »
I'm with SFB on this one, 100%. Don't start pissing on the customer's shoes and telling us it's raining. It's the same discussion on here a year or so back about "skater owned" footwear. Somehow it was the consumer's fault when the skater owned stuff failed, but yet, all I would see were people bragging about getting their (insert skater owned footwear) for $25 on sale online.

And regarding the rise of the small board companies, oh well. There are a lot of guys without proper board hookups. The barrier to market entry is smaller and less challenging than it was 30 years ago so people are taking it into their own hands. Ironically enough if Chris Roberts wasn't bros with the guys at Crailtap, he too would be without a board sponsor. He has done nothing for a long time. He is delusional and the President of the Milkman Union. That episode was a total turnoff for me. Jeff Lenoce sounds like a spoiled kook.

I actually don't mind paying a few extra dollars for boards from companies that are doing it right and, you know, earning the business. The entitled behavior from some of these industry cats is astonishing. Skateboarding doesn't owe anyone anything right?

Bummed to read some of these comments.

I actually had hit them up about taking this part out of the show because I was worried about this happening but we ended up keeping it in there.

Honestly, I was just stating facts that are going on within the industry. I'm bummed on the situation because I am the one seeing it first hand and I am good friends with many skate shop owners. Everyone hears when Pitcrew, Reign, MIA, or some other well-known shop closes down but this is something I hear about or see almost weekly. There was probably a hundred shops that closed down within the last year.

I don’t really know the answer to fix it and wasn’t trying to blame or lecture anyone and sorry to anyone that thought I came off as entitled or spoiled. It is a skate show and I work within the industry so I was just trying to address the situation.

And to the guy that said Fuck You Theotis has a Bentley?!  I can assure you that is Nike or Mountain Dew money and that none of our riders are buying any cars from their royalties.

-Jeff

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2018, 05:05:50 PM »
i woudnt include pitcrew in that conversation because they didnt close because of financial reasons.

shark tits

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2018, 05:18:28 PM »
thanks for addressing, ogbaker.
can i ask you a personal question? does it chap your hide that tk has a board and you don't?
what is the reasoning behind that? i hate to say it but i almost feel like he's fallen behind shane heyl in this tortoise race.
hope you're thriving, just telling you my observations, dill.

ogbaker

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2018, 05:23:43 PM »
i woudnt include pitcrew in that conversation because they didnt close because of financial reasons.

Just was one that came to mind because I remember people being super bummed and posting about it a bunch on Instagram. I don't really know the real reasons why any of the shops close I can only just assume that for many it is financial.

ogbaker

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2018, 05:26:28 PM »
thanks for addressing, ogbaker.
can i ask you a personal question? does it chap your hide that tk has a board and you don't?
what is the reasoning behind that? i hate to say it but i almost feel like he's fallen behind shane heyl in this tortoise race.
hope you're thriving, just telling you my observations, dill.

That was Andrews decision. No, it doesn't really bother me, I think at the time when he made the cuts TK was still selling a good amount of decks.

Thanks!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
I thought it was a great episode Jeff. Don’t fret.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2018, 05:37:18 PM »
I refuse to skate a board without colored ply on the top, middle and bottom, price is not a concern.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just was one that came to mind because I remember people being super bummed and posting about it a bunch on Instagram. I don't really know the real reasons why any of the shops close I can only just assume that for many it is financial.

understood. they have just been adamant it wasnt a financial issue for them. they said they were actually doing well.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm with SFB on this one, 100%. Don't start pissing on the customer's shoes and telling us it's raining. It's the same discussion on here a year or so back about "skater owned" footwear. Somehow it was the consumer's fault when the skater owned stuff failed, but yet, all I would see were people bragging about getting their (insert skater owned footwear) for $25 on sale online.

And regarding the rise of the small board companies, oh well. There are a lot of guys without proper board hookups. The barrier to market entry is smaller and less challenging than it was 30 years ago so people are taking it into their own hands. Ironically enough if Chris Roberts wasn't bros with the guys at Crailtap, he too would be without a board sponsor. He has done nothing for a long time. He is delusional and the President of the Milkman Union. That episode was a total turnoff for me. Jeff Lenoce sounds like a spoiled kook.

I actually don't mind paying a few extra dollars for boards from companies that are doing it right and, you know, earning the business. The entitled behavior from some of these industry cats is astonishing. Skateboarding doesn't owe anyone anything right?
[close]

I actually had hit them up about taking this part out of the show because I was worried about this happening but we ended up keeping it in there.

Honestly, I was just stating facts that are going on within the industry. I'm bummed on the situation because I am the one seeing it first hand and I am good friends with many skate shop owners. Everyone hears when Pitcrew, Reign, MIA, or some other well-known shop closes down but this is something I hear about or see almost weekly. There was probably a hundred shops that closed down within the last year.

I don’t really know the answer to fix it and wasn’t trying to blame or lecture anyone and sorry to anyone that thought I came off as entitled or spoiled. It is a skate show and I work within the industry so I was just trying to address the situation.

And to the guy that said Fuck You Theotis has a Bentley?!  I can assure you that is Nike or Mountain Dew money and that none of our riders are buying any cars from their royalties.

-Jeff

A big reason as to why this topic is rubbing so many people the wrong way is because everybody in the industry that tries to address it does so in such a black and white manner, and it's really missing the mark. Whenever it's brought up there's this notion that the consumers are just stubborn brats, and anybody with a basic sense of marketing knowledge can tell you why that's such a poor attitude to have. I already said it in a comment earlier, but the skateboarding market is over saturated as fuck, and that is not our fault. And when new board companies pop up every other day that's gonna change how manufacturers charge. Also doesn't help to see how many of these competing board companies have riders who are nowhere near a professional level but for some reason are still getting a slice of the pie.

And yes, I'll concede, I know my response doesn't encapsulate everything either. I know lumber prices are up and there's more to it. But nothing is more frustrating than watching people in an industry that so frequently makes such poor marketing decisions try and tell their consumers to "stop being entitled". Most of us are adults working full time jobs who have to pay full price for their skateboarding needs, and I think it's important to consider that demographic when it comes to examining your own market.

All of that said, I appreciate you addressing this on here, which from the outside probably isn't the most inviting environment. I think the skateboarding industry is in an interesting place right now, and I don't think it's gonna get anywhere by digging its heels into the ground and blaming those who are keeping it standing up in the first place.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

-Jeff

That was me. My point was that you have two legacy (for lack of a better term) brands with honestly bloated and largely senior/dormant teams. I understand production costs rising and that the money has to come from somewhere but you're lecturing me while Theotis, who might legally be a missing person, has a Bentley. Times can be tough or you can have a combined 27 person team. Both I don't know about.

I get how costs change for myriad reasons. When FA and Quasi and whoever else started selling decks for $55 nobody said anything because nobody said anything. They either paid it or they didn't (I did and do). If they set up lights and cameras to record a reluctantly strict stepdad lecture about it I probably wouldn't.

I don't think you're an asshole or any of that, and I have tons of respect for you as a person and skater and Florida legend. I just think you're looking the wrong way for the source of your problem.

Edit: I do think Ryan Clements and Heath Brinkley are vampires
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:35:44 PM by shit_for_brains »

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2018, 06:34:03 PM »
Meh, I can see how both sides get be justified in their anger. From the industry's side, board prices have hardly increased but other expenses including the production of those boards have. One could argue that it is unreasonable to get upset at a board company for raising their prices. However, it's also really asinine to get mad or blame the consumer when business is bad. Most of the fast casual restaurants like Applebees and TGI Friday's are apparently pissed at Millenials because they are losing money due to their avoidance. Which is really stupid when you consider that these restaurants shot themselves in the foot by not adapting (increasing the quality of food or offering more pick up food) to survive the lifestyle change of their consumer base. Where did the board companies go wrong? Well for starters, it probably doesn't help to have a huge team when only a handful or more guys are actually producing. It also doesn't help to try to live off old nostalgia (girl, chocolate, zero) when the new skateboarders have never heard of "misled youth" or "Yeah right".

At the end of the day, board companies have nobody to blame but themselves of they fail. Sure there are forces outside of their control that can contribute to their demise, but there are always ways to prolong or prevent it.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
Excuse my fanning out but I've always been a huge fan and thought you were underrated. Baker is the one company from my childhood that still is as cool in my eyes as then. I also thought it was fucking funny how impressed Crob was that you both had a job and skated.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

-Jeff

Jeff - major respect for coming on here and explaining further. Huge respect. Just as you are sensitive to it as someone working in the industry, there are some of us on the customer side that are just as sensitive to it. Anyone that knows me knows I go out of my way to support a lot of different things, and price is never an issue with me. But there seems to be a creeping sense of entitlement from the lazy old guard, coupled with an odd disdain for customers when something fails. It's horseshit.

Just like skateboarding doesn't owe anyone anything, it doesn't owe anyone a "living" either that doesn't want to work for it. There are a lot rad "small guys" grinding to make it happen and a lot of cool stuff happening. Skateboarding seems like it's bigger than ever, but I get that it's more difficult than ever to sustain a living. For the old guard that doesn't want to work for it, they will go away. And I also get there's a few different things going on that surround this entire conversation: prices, proliferation of board companies, online sales v brick and mortar, etc. It will be interesting to see what skateboarding looks like a year from now.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2018, 07:55:16 PM »
you know ive been toying around with the idea of ordering a stack of blank decks at roughly 18 bucks a piece...but having 20-25 boards the same dimensions is a scary idea
at least i know i can trust chapman doesnt use children...or better yet prisoners in privatized prisons(looking at you south central)to make their boards

also that old dude in the july thrasher who skated for zorlac -"a lot of us started decorating our own boards, which in reality everybody should be doing"
thats a fair point
I have done this before. I was like 14 and didn't know anything about woodshops but I found some site that sold blanks in bulk and got like 20 for $150. I immediately noticed they felt soggy and were weaker than most boards I had ridden, but they were definitely shredable. I got paint pens to draw my own graphics and sold a bunch of the ones I kept blank for $30 to younger dumber kids. Highly recommend.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »
Yo Jeff , I actually thought it was an important thing to address the situation. People just don’t like change.
Also I just wanted say I’m a fan cause you were one of the only people back in the og baker days to stay behind at the 05 Christmas demo and take the time to sign stuff and actually talk to kids. You even thanked my mom for helping control the chaos that was the product toss. So thanks for being rad. I always rewatched your parts in videos Cause you always seemed like the odd man out in big videos and I thought it was rad you did your own thing.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2018, 08:24:03 PM »
As has been said before, skate co's are marketing co's, if you are really that concerned you can easily buy a deck for $20.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2018, 08:26:28 PM »
anyone notice this subtle bombshell in jenkem vol 2?

got a clearer/bigger pic?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if the woodshops raise the prices the Revive boards will go up too. Its fucked that an extra $5 steers you away from your favorite brand and sends you to the shredquarters to buy a Revive deck.
[close]
Do you hear the rumors that woodshops are raising their price? No. It’s board brands that want to raise the price. Not even board brands, this shit is really only being discussed by kooks such as Mikey Alfred and Roger Bagley, not respected heads like Jim Theibuad or Reynolds.
[close]

To be completely fair, I believe the wholesale cost for most decks is between $35-38. Shops usually mark that up to like $50-$55, and they often might give you a free sheet of grip. I can assure that few other industries operate with such a low margin. Sure, shops make some money off of decks, but when you account for daily overhead and other factors, they certainly aren't rolling in the dough solely thanks to skateboard sales. I do assume that shoes, clothing, accessories, etc. do have near a fifty percent margin, which is where cash is more likely to get made. While shops make money from skateboards, it's not a whole lot, comparatively speaking, and I look at having a nice selection of decks in a shop as customer convenience and we should be grateful for the options that we get and the prices that we currently pay for them.

Another thing, skateboarders are generally overly consumptive and plenty of good skateboards get thrown away for unnecessary reasons like not having enough pop or the sense of novelty of the deck wearing off to the owner--surely not the rule, but it happens, and I'd be stoked if a five dollar price inflation prevented that sort of thing a bit more. Just my two cents, which probably isn't worth too much.
[close]

Not if you go to Willy workshop

Valid reason to ditch a deck. Outside of hating a shape, loss of pop is THE reason barring chips/razor tail.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:07:15 PM by Xen »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2018, 09:16:51 PM »
I thought it was a great episode Jeff. Don’t fret.

Same here, great episode.

[sadly] I don't work in the skate industry (I chose video games instead and before that, I was the buyer for a skate shop for about 6 years and then later, high-end boutique clothing) but fully understand your POV and been around the industry and culture to feel for both sides.

That said, I'll support a specific rider's brand with a purchase of their board or a brand if feel most of the riders but at my age and those are few and far between as it's all about shape/dimensions and price, in that order, not rider, team or graphics - but it IS nice when all those factors align.

Get the strap

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »
Agree with everyone agreeing on the reality of guys starting their own board brands and why you support them...but we switched from pro models to shop decks during the recession in the 2000's...sorry about that, but that decision was out of our hands...and that has been addressed by pro's in older interviews...and it never went back to the good ol days since...

Board prices are probably rising with Trump's tariffs on China which are supposed to roll out in August after the hearing. Prices are probably up now for the US because the wood suppliers are probably shipping to other countries that don't impose tariffs or duties, and thus production of skateboard wood for the US has decreased...and duh wood might be short from deforestation...There could be laws in place from last year on wood imports that we don't know about...but any laws, tariffs or duties in place have nothing to do with the environment, it's all political since these fucks don't believe in climate change.

I don't know what he has going on with Mexico and Canada imports but he has placed tariffs on them too and wants to add more. Can we get wood from other countries that the US is not imposing duties and tariffs on? I don't know...

Shops closing from what I've heard are corporate shoe brand's store contracts and the rising cost of property, because corporations supporting gentrification are able to pay the higher rent, pushing out mom and pop business all over the US. If I'm somewhat correct, the industry will never address this in the public because the audience is way too young.

Long story short, learn how to make your board last longer, prices are never going to come back down, ever.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2018, 03:13:09 AM »
word up jeff nuff respect

got a clearer/bigger pic?

basically a little blurb about how some "other companies" use chinese production and how deplorable the scenario is...but it was all swept under the rug by the powers that be

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
I understand that margins are thin on decks....but why do woodshops let everyone start a board brand?  Why don't pros throw their peers under the bus?  They take it out on consumers, shops, and local brands...

Nothing stopping a pro from just getting a job in another field and skating for fun and still being part of the community.....it's clear there's not enough demand for all the companies out there....that's why they are suffering....

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »
As has been said before, skate co's are marketing co's, if you are really that concerned you can easily buy a deck for $20.

I always think of skate co's as teams, and the price of decks is the cost of a ticket to a "game".

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2018, 07:27:13 PM »
Listening to Chris Roberts talk about having a job being “a whole thing” was fucking embarrassing. “You have this job, you have to get up in the morning.” No shit, Chris. Most grown ups have to do things like get out of bed in the morning.
Serious question, do you think Chris Roberts has ever done a days work in his life?

he's from malibu
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »
Jeff, Baker and Deathwish and any other board company is free to charge whatever you think is fair for your products. Question is if you want me to pay $5, $10 more, what am I getting for that? Board brands missed the boat a long time ago on gradually raising prices to reflect inflation because nobody wanted to stick their neck out first with a price increase. Now companies are hurting and they want skaters to give a little bit more. Maybe some of us will out of the goodness of our hearts. But there's plenty of other board companies out there that'll stick with the $50-$55 price tag

Heres my question though. Board companies saved quite a bit of money moving deck production to Mexico and China. Did any (independent) shops see a break on prices from that? Or did the board brands keep it all.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2018, 10:23:29 PM »
I do think Ryan Clements and Heath Brinkley are vampires

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you on this, but what makes you think this? Both Ryan and Heath have contributed a lot to skateboarding, and as far as I know, still do.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:08:33 PM by TheVisitor »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2018, 10:26:00 PM »
As long as you guys keep making the B16 shape I'll keep paying the markups for it.