Author Topic: Lazy Pro's  (Read 4478 times)

13callsBS

Lazy Pro's
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:09:25 PM »
Why is it that skaters think it's okay to put out video parts with less than 10 clips? I realize that there's more pressure when you are sponsored and shit, put in the end, it's just skating. People need to be like JT and say "I realize skating is something that should be done for fun, but now I have people paying me for this, it's a job. I can't party all day.". I don't see how Hsu, Cole, MJ, all those guys can make 5+ minute parts and Austin Stephens is pro and can't get more than 3 clips. What pisses me off even more is when you see kids on youtube skating the same shitty, cracking deck at shitty, cracking spots and put out 3 minutes of quality footage every week. And they even have to go to school. If you party and can produce, like Dollin, keep doing what you're doing. But skaters need to remember they aren't rock stars, and remember being a 14 year old skate rat.

lurk daddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • put the FU back in fun
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Lazy Pro's
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:20:25 PM »
monliar!
IF YOU HAVE SEX ONCE, YOU GET HERPES. IF YOU DO COKE ONCE, YOU DIE AND LOSE YOUR JOB.

Egon Spangler

• Rep: -8
  • Doe, Ray, EGON!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 12:22:41 PM »
robbie mckinnley
AX THROWERS

krookedskate

• Rep: -45
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »
wait just one minute..... Austin stephens only had a short part in good and evil cause he was hurt. The rest of his shit is legit.
and nobody needs to be like jamie thomas

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »
um, its called FILMING FOR A VIDEO?!  toy machine has a new video in progress, so im sure austin is busy logging footage for it.  plus, he had that awesome interview in transworld a few months back with some gnarly shots.

sergioflorez

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
robbie mckinley

robbie was never pro, and stopped skating seriously a few years ago.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:48:50 PM »
Expand Quote
robbie mckinnley
[close]

robbie was never pro, and stopped skating seriously a few years ago.
Dude is a graphic designer now.....and created skate dice.

I hear the points being made. Like those Sk8 Mafia guys are ruthless.....putting out footage like no other and for fun for the most part. I can only think of so many lazy pros and usually those guys actually have a legit excuse. Can we call Gino lazy? Wenning too? Hard to say.....but they are pro.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:53 PM »
haha i dont think dustin dollin is the best example you could haev used. in the baker tour video he has 2 clips, and one of them is a crooked grind on a wooden box.

Seriously.. It's funny that people talk about him like he somehow magically pulls off being an alcoholic and remains productive.  It worked for him for a while but it's obviously taking it's toll.  Nobody can do that shit forever.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:59:25 PM »
oh fuckin waaahhhh  :'(   those dudes who sleep on getting coverage end up down wenning avenue.  

cool dude

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »
wait just one minute..... Austin stephens only had a short part in good and evil cause he was hurt. The rest of his shit is legit.

You are definitely entitled to your own opinion, but lets be real, dude hasn't had a good part since TIS, released in '03.  6 years ago he had a pretty rockin' part and even then it was all of a minute and a half.  His Good & Evil was sub-par to say the least.  And while his Suffer The Joy part was longer, there weren't more than 10 tricks in there that were anything special. 

Dude is milking it, but maybe he's got some good stuff in store for his next part.  That remains to be seen.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »
Tim O

skatefilmer202

• Rep: -9
  • ya
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »
haha i dont think dustin dollin is the best example you could haev used. in the baker tour video he has 2 clips, and one of them is a crooked grind on a wooden box.
and hes doing coke

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 01:15:55 PM »
i get your point and know this isn't exactly what you're talking about, but one thing to consider is- do you really want a five+ minute part out of everybody? i definitely don't. i'd rather see the best stuff a person has to offer in a minute part then a huge part from somebody i'm not really that interested in. and then there's people who can put out a five trick clip and it's more of a stoke than some people's full parts. whether or not they're being lazy by putting out just a few great clips i can't say, but inspiration can't be quantified by tricks counted or time clocked.

datsnare

• Rep: -7
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »
MJ 5 minute part? did you not watch fully flared?

skatefilmer202

• Rep: -9
  • ya
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 01:22:19 PM »
lol it was 13 minutes long

kevbo999

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »

This got me way more stoked to skate than say, Cole in RTS.  Besides, even the laziest pro skates way more and way harder than your average Joe.  Or at least they did at some point, otherwise their name wouldn't be on a board.

nolliefeebs

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »
i get your point and know this isn't exactly what you're talking about, but one thing to consider is- do you really want a five+ minute part out of everybody? i definitely don't. i'd rather see the best stuff a person has to offer in a minute part then a huge part from somebody i'm not really that interested in. and then there's people who can put out a five trick clip and it's more of a stoke than some people's full parts. whether or not they're being lazy by putting out just a few great clips i can't say, but inspiration can't be quantified by tricks counted or time clocked.
true. for an example, check ginos trilogy part, the whole spitfire video, matt reason in sub zero

DARIA

• Rep: -60
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »

This got me way more stoked to skate than say, Cole in RTS.  Besides, even the laziest pro skates way more and way harder than your average Joe.  Or at least they did at some point, otherwise their name wouldn't be on a board.

why he trying to be TOR, no one compares to TOR, you all will see once you gaze your eyes upon his bonus round part

13callsBS

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
lol it was 13 minutes long

I'm fully aware of that. I thin I said 5+ minutes, which means over 5 minutes.

13callsBS

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »
um, its called FILMING FOR A VIDEO?!  toy machine has a new video in progress, so im sure austin is busy logging footage for it.  plus, he had that awesome interview in transworld a few months back with some gnarly shots.

Didn't he also say is said interview that Ed had to talk to him about not doing much footage or ad wise?

13callsBS

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 01:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
and hes doing coke

Then again, that's just a tour video. Dude's been putting out fucktons of footage since god knows when.

Paper Crane

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »
once stephens got on dekline, lots of posters here seemed to be quite on the nut.

dude rips. no need to hate him now..

13callsBS

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »

True, but it's a rule in life that while people with talent will get a head-start, people with work ethic will eventually overtake them.  I want 5+minute parts out of people I'm stoked on, if you don't want a five+ minute part from skaters I listed, you are fucking insane. I realize that "there's people who can put out a five trick clip and it's more of a stoke than some people's full parts" but they still need to put out a longer part. And yes, they are being lazy by not getting tricks.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 02:04:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously.. It's funny that people talk about him like he somehow magically pulls off being an alcoholic and remains productive.  It worked for him for a while but it's obviously taking it's toll.  Nobody can do that shit forever.
how do you even know he was on the tour? i'm pretty sure that if he was, he'd have had more than three tricks (fs flip disaster, bs kickflip transfer thing, and the crook on the box). i doubt he just showed up to the demos and didn't skate. he probably was on some tour with another one of his sponsors like volcom, and only went to a few demos with baker.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 02:41:33 PM »
How can you be hating on Austin Stephens? Even when he's hurt and not getting the craziest tricks his footage still looks a million times better than most pros. He just came out with an awesome interview, had some good clips in the RVCA promo and had some good stuff in the Toy tour video a little while back.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

killing time

• Rep: 19
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
who is TOR?
Do you want to put a saddle on the lion of Juddah and ride it back to babylon?

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »

dlx111

• Rep: -58
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 03:00:57 PM »
How can you be hating on Austin Stephens? Even when he's hurt and not getting the craziest tricks his footage still looks a million times better than most pros. He just came out with an awesome interview, had some good clips in the RVCA promo and had some good stuff in the Toy tour video a little while back.
i think anyone can hate on stephens you look at half the team on toy machine and look at what theyre pros are doing "cough templeton" dudes old as shit and still kills it harder than stephens ever did if anything stephens is skating like a retired 40 year old

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 03:38:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You are definitely entitled to your own opinion, but lets be real, dude hasn't had a good part since TIS, released in '03.  6 years ago he had a pretty rockin' part and even then it was all of a minute and a half.  His Good & Evil was sub-par to say the least.  And while his Suffer The Joy part was longer, there weren't more than 10 tricks in there that were anything special. 

Dude is milking it, but maybe he's got some good stuff in store for his next part.  That remains to be seen.

Quality not quantity.... and you can't film a part when you're injured