Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 88272 times)

biaherl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 264
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #1290 on: March 30, 2024, 09:11:58 PM »
Driving myself insane with this but.. found a very dry curb in a perfect location so I did the ol rub brick, sweep, and clear coat (specifically this stuff https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/spray-paint/hobby-spray-paint/1395987) waited a day then when I came back that shit was … incredibly sticky, like even with wax. Should I have used lacquer spray? Where did I fuck up lol?

If you can, always start with a penetrating sealer then go with a top coat. So an acrylic sealer with some sort of clear coat on top. I prefer to brush on everything so I can get a deeper penetration (that's what they said)

Some curbs don't like to slide and some curbs don't like to grind, you need to find out what curb you have and work from there

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1291 on: March 31, 2024, 11:28:25 AM »
Anyone that can really slappy can do it with their feet anywhere on the board. If you’re learning, pockets is a good place to start. Then adjust as you get comfy.
This 100%. I started with both feet on bolts so i wouldn't lift my trucks.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1292 on: March 31, 2024, 04:32:01 PM »

This should do well w the rub brick and lacquer
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #1293 on: March 31, 2024, 06:25:50 PM »

That’s a parking block where you are? I want one

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1294 on: April 01, 2024, 07:29:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
That’s a parking block where you are? I want one

Its got a lip then ski slope on one side and a perfect 90* angle in the other. I want it for the R angle. Most around here are lip and slope on both sides.

4 of these would make a nice long curb on the side of my driveway 😉

djoekr

• Rep: 294
« Reply #1295 on: April 06, 2024, 10:57:38 AM »

I'm trying to front lip this curb I dug out. I'm goofy so my dominant foot is above the sand and I have trouble getting out of them. Right now I'm trying this weird power nollie which kinda works at slow speeds, but I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #1296 on: April 06, 2024, 03:11:28 PM »
How I get out of lipslides is, push like you’re going to do a nose manny then when your front wheels touch, just kinda thrust forward and hop like you do on transition to bring them in. If that makes any sense.
Been searching for a decent curb and finally found one.

It isn’t completely covered in Jerhi Curl. Someone actually knew how to prep a curb. Going to start the rest of that block and a new section off to the side tomorrow.

djoekr

• Rep: 294
« Reply #1297 on: April 06, 2024, 03:50:28 PM »
How I get out of lipslides is, push like you’re going to do a nose manny then when your front wheels touch, just kinda thrust forward and hop like you do on transition to bring them in. If that makes any sense.

Allright, definitely gonna give this a try the next time I'm there.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1298 on: April 09, 2024, 06:28:50 AM »

I'm trying to front lip this curb I dug out. I'm goofy so my dominant foot is above the sand and I have trouble getting out of them. Right now I'm trying this weird power nollie which kinda works at slow speeds, but I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something.

keep your body weight more in the street. the more your weight is on the other side of the curb, the harder its going to be to clear your back truck

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1299 on: April 09, 2024, 07:47:11 AM »
its actually a lot easier if you do a nollie lipslide because you dont come down so hard on it so the slide is a lot more predictable, and your nose is already in the right place to zoot out. even if you suck at nollie, you hardly need to be able to do it for this trick, and i think it will build some of your confidence + strength in taking off the nose for other tricks as well. fakie is a good place to start if this is seeming way too hard still. i skated for like 25 years without doing a single one i think.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1300 on: April 09, 2024, 09:29:47 AM »
its actually a lot easier if you do a nollie lipslide because you dont come down so hard on it so the slide is a lot more predictable, and your nose is already in the right place to zoot out. even if you suck at nollie, you hardly need to be able to do it for this trick, and i think it will build some of your confidence + strength in taking off the nose for other tricks as well. fakie is a good place to start if this is seeming way too hard still. i skated for like 25 years without doing a single one i think.

Spot on. Looks tight as hell too

HASHZOOT

• Rep: 6
  • I actually don’t even smoke weed.
« Reply #1301 on: April 09, 2024, 01:58:53 PM »
Wax the floor where the front wheels at.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #1302 on: April 16, 2024, 04:13:39 AM »

Do I understand correctly that your dominant foot is your back foot, then? Is that normal? No judgement, I’ve just never actually thought about which of my legs is in charge. Fucking sweet curb, btw.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #1303 on: April 16, 2024, 05:21:24 PM »

I’m liking that asphalt and how the curb is made of interlocking pieces.  Where is this?

Bummer Vacation

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1304 on: April 21, 2024, 04:38:06 PM »
Today I found a bank to curb spot about 5 minutes from my house. Looks like a Sunday only type spot. The one caveat is that it’s asphalt. Curb & all. I’ll be putting on some softer wheels & really trying to pinpoint where the best spot is considering the stiff & gritty beginning to the transition.