Author Topic: Post Your Cruiser  (Read 368918 times)

Thrash-trash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Post Your Cruiser
« Reply #1200 on: June 28, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »

All right, so my first picture post and it took me a min. Had to relearn how to use my photobucket, couldnt get the other ways to work. 

Anyways, this is a fun one. Old Santa Cruz pro, Richard Kirby, (from like the mid to late 90's) started his little jam called Big Mess a few years back and I had a couple of these decks.  Roskob rip off which got Kirby a cease &  desist from NHS. This was his 3 F*ckin' Months celebration deck.  I tried setting up as a mini ramp jammer, but it was a little too short, I kept getting pitched forward. 31.25 by 8.5 (in the widest part) with a big dbl wheelbase at 14.75 or 14.25.  Im rocking some old Indys, prob Stage 8s so they could be the 159, I dont really remember. The axle slips like crazy on both of them and I just ended up keeping them in a box for years. Initially, I had set up some Bones Filmbot 56mm Softies, which were actually too soft and the board would bounce all over the place. I found the OJ Ditch Witch 56mm with a 92a, but they feel a little harder, could be the shape though.  They slide great and can go through some rough shit, but I did chip a couple times after the first session. So ignore the Bones sticker and OJ wheels set up please. Bones Super Reds and Im just waiting for the speed cream to burn off before I pop the shields.

This is a fun set up and I usually keep it in my car for when I find a new spot of if I break down, I dont have to walk. Some of them board wall hanger collector guys on Skull&Bones would lose their shit cause Im riding this, but fuck it.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1201 on: June 29, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
That shape looks super fun, and with those dimensions I'd use it as a regular setup.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #1202 on: July 03, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Any recommendations for cruiser wheel/bearing setup?

Edit: just read the above suggestions for the bombers, those looks decent. Still lost when it comes to bearings though. I've only skated flip HKD bearings for my entire skate life.
[close]

I suggest OJs Keyframes and whatever bearings you like. As for wheel size, the bigger they are, the smoother the ride. I'm running 54 mm Keyframes on my other cruiser with a normal popsicle deck and the only difference to my main setup (54 mm wheels also) is that it's way grippier and will go much nicer over rough stuff. Then I have another cruiser with 60 mm Ricta Clouds with a shaped deck. Even though I prefer Keyframes to Clouds, the set up with the Clouds goes smoother due to the bigger wheel size. You do notice the bigger wheel size when pushing especially since I put risers on that setup but I don't really mind it as the point was to set up a wide and smooth ride, not something similar to my main setup. So, it really depends on what you want from your cruiser.

This has been really helpful, thanks! What do you think would be the biggest wheel size I can get away with, without using riser pads? I love being low to the ground but wheel bite's a bitch..

I'm thinking the 56mm's?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1203 on: July 03, 2017, 09:30:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Edit: just read the above suggestions for the bombers, those looks decent. Still lost when it comes to bearings though. I've only skated flip HKD bearings for my entire skate life.
[close]

I suggest OJs Keyframes and whatever bearings you like. As for wheel size, the bigger they are, the smoother the ride. I'm running 54 mm Keyframes on my other cruiser with a normal popsicle deck and the only difference to my main setup (54 mm wheels also) is that it's way grippier and will go much nicer over rough stuff. Then I have another cruiser with 60 mm Ricta Clouds with a shaped deck. Even though I prefer Keyframes to Clouds, the set up with the Clouds goes smoother due to the bigger wheel size. You do notice the bigger wheel size when pushing especially since I put risers on that setup but I don't really mind it as the point was to set up a wide and smooth ride, not something similar to my main setup. So, it really depends on what you want from your cruiser.
[close]

This has been really helpful, thanks! What do you think would be the biggest wheel size I can get away with, without using riser pads? I love being low to the ground but wheel bite's a bitch..

I'm thinking the 56mm's?

It all depends on what you like and what trucks you have and how they're set up. I run 54 mm wheels normally with Indys or Aces and with Indys I still get wheelbite every now and then but it's manageable enough.

I put 1/8" risers on the cruiser with 60 mm wheels to get the same clearance as 54 mm wheels with no risers and I like it. I personally like a deep turn though. I have 1/4" risers laying around too, but I couldn't set them up when i set up the cruiser cuz I didn't have long enough bolts. Might change it up sometime to see if I'd like an even deeper turn better. Personally I don't think I would use wheels bigger than 54 mm without risers, but it really is personal preference.

Also worth taking into account with soft wheels that wheelbite is much worse than with hard wheels due to how grippy the wheels are. You'll get pitched way easier.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1204 on: July 03, 2017, 10:03:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm thinking the 56mm's?
[close]

It all depends on what you like and what trucks you have and how they're set up. I run 54 mm wheels normally with Indys or Aces and with Indys I still get wheelbite every now and then but it's manageable enough.

I put 1/8" risers on the cruiser with 60 mm wheels to get the same clearance as 54 mm wheels with no risers and I like it. I personally like a deep turn though. I have 1/4" risers laying around too, but I couldn't set them up when i set up the cruiser cuz I didn't have long enough bolts. Might change it up sometime to see if I'd like an even deeper turn better. Personally I don't think I would use wheels bigger than 54 mm without risers, but it really is personal preference.

Also worth taking into account with soft wheels that wheelbite is much worse than with hard wheels due to how grippy the wheels are. You'll get pitched way easier.

This. With soft wheels you'll want your trucks a lot higher than usual (however high you'd set them for a regular wheels, add another 1/8th of an inch), wheel bite with hard wheels is annoying, with softies.. its death.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1205 on: July 04, 2017, 12:42:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm thinking the 56mm's?
[close]

[close]

This. With soft wheels you'll want your trucks a lot higher than usual (however high you'd set them for a regular wheels, add another 1/8th of an inch), wheel bite with hard wheels is annoying, with softies.. its death.

I had no idea - You fellas are life savers.

Well, I decided on Spitfire 58mm Spitfire Chargers. I also grabbed 2 sets of 1/8" risers (incase 1/8" isn't enough clearance). I had my eye on OJ keyframes but caught these for a great price online.

Thanks again for all the advice, Pals.

N.L.

« Reply #1206 on: September 15, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »
Little 1991 inspired cruiser:

REAL TG 9.1 with a small wheelbase of 14"
149s on 1/4"  risers
56 80hd/ Indy Blacks

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:46:01 PM by N.L. »

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1207 on: September 17, 2017, 12:39:12 PM »
Little 1991 inspired cruiser:

REAL TG 9.1 with a small wheelbase of 14"
149s on 1/4"  risers
56 80hd/ Indy Blacks

Been looking at this board, but I ride 159s. I haven't found/seen the board in person. Based on what you've seen, will 159s be too wide on the back?

N.L.

« Reply #1208 on: September 17, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »
159s will probably be a better fit than the 149s I have on it.

Unfortunately, I slipped out in traffic and the board went under an Audio and is now in 2 pieces. First session, so bummed.

But the local skate shop hooked up a bit of a deal on this Krooked....

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:27:45 PM by N.L. »

Jonny Utah

• Rep: -32
« Reply #1209 on: September 17, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »

Unfortunately, I slipped out in traffic and the board went under an Audio and is now in 2 pieces. First session, so bummed.

Slipped out in traffic or hit a pebble, ate shit and focused your setup?

N.L.

« Reply #1210 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
Last time I focussed a board I felt like I took a few hundred steps back on the slow road to enlightenment. Fuck that.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1211 on: September 17, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
That really breaks my heart. My condolences..

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #1212 on: September 18, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »
Looking at maybe getting a cruiser to get around, but have never really experimented with them

I have my eyes on this Krooked Zig Zagger, a buddy of mine had one and it was the perfect shape but he had BIG wheels on it.

http://www.tactics.com/krooked/zig-zagger-86-skateboard-deck/racing

Truck/wheel recommendations? I want something that can get over rough-ish terrain but still feel like a real board/hit a curb every once and while
(Cool Trick GIF)

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #1213 on: September 18, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »
Looking at maybe getting a cruiser to get around, but have never really experimented with them

I have my eyes on this Krooked Zig Zagger, a buddy of mine had one and it was the perfect shape but he had BIG wheels on it.

Truck/wheel recommendations? I want something that can get over rough-ish terrain but still feel like a real board/hit a curb every once and while

I would recommend indy 159s, they're not overly wide (so you can use it on a non-cruising set up), but they help a taller ride feel better.

And if you want to still feel like you're riding something close to a real board, stay under 58mm or so IMO. Once you get to 60mm and over it gets really out of hand with ollies and such.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #1214 on: September 18, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1215 on: September 18, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would recommend indy 159s, they're not overly wide (so you can use it on a non-cruising set up), but they help a taller ride feel better.

And if you want to still feel like you're riding something close to a real board, stay under 58mm or so IMO. Once you get to 60mm and over it gets really out of hand with ollies and such.

I should probably size up the trucks on my Zig Zagger. I think I've got like 147s on it or something. :p

N.L.

« Reply #1216 on: September 18, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks Pals. Literally 15 mins into its debut ride... The driver called me 'irresponsible.' I agreed with him and walked away with a piece of board in each hand.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:46:29 PM by N.L. »

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1217 on: September 18, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks Pals. Literally 15 mins into its debut ride... The driver called me 'irresponsible.' I agreed with him and walked away a piece of board in each hand.

tsk tsk tsk. you need to think about what you've done and hopefully learn from your mistake. maybe one day you can contribute to society like the rest of us who pay taxes and lead respectable lives.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #1218 on: September 19, 2017, 06:04:30 AM »
That sucks, I was gonna comment last week how nice that board looked.

I rolled a bacon 8.5 popsicle out into traffic 15 minutes into it's life once. It didn't even snap though, just cracked through 2 plies at rear bolts... that SC wood  ;D

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1219 on: September 19, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I should probably size up the trucks on my Zig Zagger. I think I've got like 147s on it or something. :p

Follow up to my own post: Would 159s or 149s better suit a Zig Zagger? It might be fun to get really wide ones.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1220 on: September 19, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
I like the Zagger better with 159's, feels more cruiser style. If you've got normal width wheels, the won't stick out at all. That said, the 149's are pretty much a perfect fit.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: September 21, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
I like the Zagger better with 159's, feels more cruiser style. If you've got normal width wheels, the won't stick out at all. That said, the 149's are pretty much a perfect fit.

Through an unusual chain of events today, I found a dude selling a brand new pair of Thunder 151s for 20 bucks in my town so I grabbed them. I've only gotten a chance to do a quick lap around my driveway but right off the bat they feel more stable and just more fun to ride.

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1222 on: October 01, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »

I bought this board. I skated it for the first time earlier today. It rides great and the 159s feel good on it. Thanks for answering my question.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1223 on: January 31, 2018, 12:16:44 AM »
Dusted off a real old one from the collection
Girl Alex Olson power slide series, I think it's 8.75?
Added some 139s and wide kryptonics with Swiss

Dr.Össler

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1224 on: April 10, 2018, 08:07:39 PM »
haven't had a proper cruiser in a long time, so i'm pretty excited to skate this.

5boro 8.5
indy 169s...i think? not sure of width.
58mm OJ keyframe plain janes
bones swiss
some risers

Would give the OJ Plain Jane Keyframe II 87a 54mm a try (are they any good? POWELL PERALTA G-SLIDES 56mm 85A I think they are to wide... like soft wheels, Ricta Clouds 55mm 86A are the shit ... love them ;) )

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #1225 on: April 11, 2018, 09:03:57 AM »

i've been hurt for a little bit, so I frankensteined this cruiser together

the board is some piece of shit warped Stereo i got for 15 bucks on Amazon several years ago.  I sanded the graphic off then put a layer of clear, a layer of green, and a layer of black.

venture Highs
59 MM Bones rough riders
Heroin glow in the dark rails i got in a mystery box

eager to see how it looks once the paint starts scraping off
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1226 on: April 11, 2018, 01:52:21 PM »
Sample deck I got, printed by me in the backyard. Its like a 8.8"
Once I see where the wheels strike, I plan to put wells on it.

Theeve wide ass trucks (the biggest they got)
OJ 95a wheels

Vroom.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:57:42 PM by El Chupacabra »

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #1227 on: July 19, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I just set up a brand new cruiser. Also I can't remember if I ever had a cruiser set up before.

9 Theories
8.5 Krux (never skated krux before)
54 OJ Keyframes
Reds

I wish I got bigger Keyframes but I cruised around on this a little and really like them.

Spicy boi.

• Rep: 8
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1228 on: August 14, 2018, 07:50:38 PM »
80s cruiser with some emo stickers+black flag

exiled

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1229 on: November 05, 2018, 12:16:18 PM »
This is my first post on slap. I'm 29 and old and decided to build up a cruiser.

I might be the only person actually skating their Strangelove deck. I love the weird ass shape of this thing. I think it's technically like an 8.625 at it's widest point and tapers down to 8.5 with a kinda squared off nose.

Strangelove "Jesus Saves"
on 149 Indy Reynolds Hollows w/ the baseplate from regular forged hollows.
Indy 1/8" shock pads.
Bones Hardcore bushings (hard on the bottom and medium on top, though I might switch out to all hard bushings cause I'm getting some slight wheel bite)
OJ Super Juice wheels
Bones Swiss bearings

This thing hauls ass, I'll say that much.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:51:13 PM by exiled »