Author Topic: Encounters with Pro Skaters  (Read 147611 times)

cheep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Encounters with Pro Skaters
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 08:58:47 AM »
first pro i met was serge trudnowski in dc back in 96... cool as shit.  met kalis, stevie, and ryan gee in 98 in front of sub zero... i was tripping on acid, grabbed kalis board, and did a hardflip. ended up talking to them for about an hour and got invited to ride to NY with them to film for some transworld vid.  kalis hooked me up with a alien prototype that was too wide for him... one of the best decks ive ridden.
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

lord mangleton

• Rep: -9
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »
Bam tried to buy some weed off me at a demo in Flint Michigan back in 98. 
R.I.P. Empire of One

DEDBBIS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 09:26:56 AM »
I met Jack Curtin at a skatepark in Indonesia when I was in like 6th grade. He was cool, I let him watch me do a kickflip on flat yo wassup.
What island?

There ain't no shit on T.V. tonight

Shralpington

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 09:32:34 AM »
first pro i ever met was danny way at xyz skateshop in downtown carlsbad around 1995-96 and he was a complete dickface.
Tom Penny was in the shop from time to time, never talked to him cause i was just a little teenage punk.

Chillest pro(s) to date is Ryan Gallant and Nuge. Peter Ramondetta is a bro too. And Frank Gerwer.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
I've watched pron with Forrest Kirby. It was was one of those I'm so sleepy I didn't realize I was getting fucked ones. It was his copy he brought to a get together at an apartment. It was in the early '90's.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:53 AM »
One time, many years ago, myself and some friends went on a roadtrip to a DLX demo with this skater chick, Dana.  We ended up staying at the same shitty motel as the DLX dudes.  We kept to ourselves, we didn't want to be those guys, then James Kelch knocked on our door and invited himself in.  Eventually, most of the team(Ben Liversedge, Shawn Mandolli, Mike Daher et al) was in our room partying.  There was some hanger-on with them as well, he went by the name of Honk Kong Jimmy.  Ben Liversedge ended up banging Dana that night.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »
Every pro I've ever met was pretty cool...like a regular person.

Kenny Hughes was telling kids at a demo to drop out of school to skate which is a pretty wack thing to say to impressionable youth. That was when he was on Element and DC and generally killing it. Doubt he'd probably offer the same advice now.

I prefer the wordless Fight Club nod, though...
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

zipzinger666

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • Fuck, that didn't work out...
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
I rolled dice with pete eldridge at the shop a few months ago. once he was out of bills he played with a ten dollar roll of quarters after that. Hell of a chill dude. My friend put me on the phone with Theotis when he was at the Nike demo in denver a few weeks ago, and he is without a doubt the nicest kid in skateboarding...
Slap: not only do we run things in the industry, we fucking kill people"

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 10:38:09 AM »
Chillest pro(s) to date is Ryan Gallant and Nuge.

yeah, nuge was a really friendly and mellow when i met him in barcelona.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »
deerman of darkwood, this dude is strait up gnar.
tricks are for kids , style is forever

DEDBBIS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2009, 11:11:49 AM »
I saw Olson & Olson surfing at the beach once. Steve looked like he was due any day.

There ain't no shit on T.V. tonight

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »
the only pro i ever met was james craig but i didnt say nothin to him he was watchin a video at my skate shop

WonkaBar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 11:48:22 AM »

sick. details? did you see his face?

Beer Wizard

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 11:50:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Everyone knows who he is.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »
Karl Watson was by far the coolest pro I ever met. I've seen a lot of dude's and not one has really been punks. Shimizu was a cool guy as well.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

thieveslikeus

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »
i think Mr. Snickers has had the best encounters with pro skaters.

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2009, 12:11:19 PM »
first pro i met was serge trudnowski in dc back in 96... cool as shit.  met kalis, stevie, and ryan gee in 98 in front of sub zero... i was tripping on acid, grabbed kalis board, and did a hardflip. ended up talking to them for about an hour and got invited to ride to NY with them to film for some transworld vid.  kalis hooked me up with a alien prototype that was too wide for him... one of the best decks ive ridden.

Do you know if Serge is still skating? He was great.

WonkaBar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Everyone knows who he is.

i dont. if i had to guess id say haslam. but does he wear a mask and introduce himself as deer man is what im getting at

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you know if Serge is still skating? He was great.

no idea... seems like he dissapeared when illuminati/silverstar went under.

as fas as used to be pros, i see clyde all the time now... he lives 2 blocks away from me
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
One time, many years ago, myself and some friends went on a roadtrip to a DLX demo with this skater chick, Dana.  We ended up staying at the same shitty motel as the DLX dudes.  We kept to ourselves, we didn't want to be those guys, then James Kelch knocked on our door and invited himself in.  Eventually, most of the team(Ben Liversedge, Shawn Mandolli, Mike Daher et al) was in our room partying.  There was some hanger-on with them as well, he went by the name of Honk Kong Jimmy.  Ben Liversedge ended up banging Dana that night.

"Ben is the baddest."

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »
Ben Liversedge was a great skateboarder. So solid on a board.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »
I've met a bunch of pros over the years. I used to see Lutzka all the time at my home park in Wisconsin, and he came up to skate my miniramp a few times. He was always super nice. Ryan Wilburn was always cool, and let me use it truck tool a couple of time. Seth Maccullen(sp?) is the only pro to ask if I was ok after a slam. Darren Naverette, well I didn't really see him skate. I talked to him at burnside, but he was chillin, and super baked. Peter Hewitt is the gnarliest dude in person. One time a real demo showed up late, and I was bailing to go to class, and Nate Jones told me "aww, don't go to school man". Karl Watson came up and kicked it for a minute the first time I ever went to pier 7. Al Partanen has always been hyped whenever I've seen him. The only pro I remember being kind of a dick was Donny Barley.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »
Tried to talk to PJ at a contest once.

He's either really, really shy or autistic.

It couldnt have been arrogance, because he kept staring at the ground and mumbling some shit, but he didnt walk off or something.

At the same contest, Ryan Sheckler won 10 grand or something, he was really young then, and after the contest I walked back to the train station and saw Sheckler buying ice cream in a shop.

I remember thinking: damn that fucking little kid has made more money in two days than the 40 year old woman selling him the icecream will make in 4 months.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 04:17:25 PM »
i just met dan murphy today in 12th and A skatepark (nyc), he was really nice and humble and im definitely down for him.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 04:22:23 PM »
it was a DC demo in like 03 at a mall parking lot. a friend of mine, who was a young jackass at the time asked josh kalis if he could try a trick on his board. kalis said alright and let him skate his board. the kid proceeded to roll on the ground and do some weird flips and then land back on his board smiling like he just busted his first nut. kalis did not think this was funny, neither did anyone watching. a kid was filming this and kalis told him to shut the camera off for a second. kalis grabbed his board back and began going off on young Danny "you think this shit is funny? i'm out here busting my fucking ass for what? for no respect from a little shit like you? this is my fucking job and you're tryin' to play me? how old are you kid?" danny answers "14" kalis quickly responds "if you were 18 i'd kick the shit out of you right now, i'm gonna find a 14 year old kid to come kick your ass" he then walks off and comes back after a second looks the kid up and down and then spits on his shoes and walks away. shit was the funniest thing i've ever seen. every time i see the kid i usually bring it up. funnier thing is later on that evening at the demo he got into a fight and got his nose busted, but it had nothing to do with kalis, it was over some girlfriend shit.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 04:39:56 PM »
I've met lots of pros, and still see them all the time here in Portland. I know I've shared most of these stories here, but what the hell...

Met the Bones Brigade at a demo in Portland around '85 or '86. I don't remember the exact squad, but I do remember Tommy and Cab being there. Met Cab again in the late 90's in Seattle. I totally fanned out - nicest guy ever,

Encountered the Real team during the height of their popularity with The Real Video. My friend hit them off (I won't say with what) and in exchange they hooked me up with several boards, wheels, etc. Daher, Liversedge, and another cat I can't remember cruised around in my friend's car with us and were super cool. I also remember Kelch being pretty funny. Coco was being a dick at first, then he gave in and was hella cool. And Salman didn't like us at all. Which bummed me out because Salman was by far my favorite skater at the time. Fuck!

I live in Portland now, so I see pros all the time - but sometimes you don't even notice them. Just in the last couple of years, I noticed these random things:

- one time Chet Childress rode by on his bike and watched me skate flatground
- I once saw Chaz Pineda bombing by down a steep hill in a random neighborhood
- a couple years ago I saw Busenitz killing Burnside on a random morning by himself
- BA once walked into my friend's bar five minutes after I left. Shit!
- same week, that same friend (whiile driving) almost hit Daewon crossing the street
- I went into Pharmacy one day and saw Malto lurking
- I went into a bar one time with my skateboard and the bartender chick immediately tells me that Ethan Fowler was in there the night before and made a huge drunken scene before splitting without paying his tab.
- I saw someone from Alien Workshop (I won't blow his cover) trade two Alien decks for a pair of Chukka Lows, even though he rides for another shoe company). Real shit.

I could go on forever.

Anyway, my all time favorite pro encounter went like this: I was on vacation in LA with my family back in I think around '85-'87. I had a freestyle bike at the time, which I convinced my parents to let me strap to the roof of the van and take it with us. So I rode my bike down to Huntington Pier, thinking I was gonna find a spot to do some "flatland" as they called it. I was only a few minutes into bustin' my shitty little tricks when this dude walked up with a huge ass blue Rector duffle bag. I remember just seeing the bag and instantly knowing he was pro for some reason. Like, only a pro would have a bag that bitchin'. The guy pulls a little freestyle board out of the bag, throws it down and lands in a casper, and from there proceeds to bust out with a seemingly unending assortment of freestyle tricks. I remember he never put his foot down on the ground once. He just went from trick to trick to trick for fucking ever. By this time, I've completely stopped riding, and I'm just sitting there watching him. Also, I should add, I was the only person there. There were people around of course, but nobody in the direct vicinity. No one cared. So this was pretty much a private show. When the dude finally got tired, he put the board in the bag, said goodbye, and left. And by that time I had fully figured out that the dude was none other than Rodney Mullen.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 05:26:06 PM »
the only pro i ever met was james craig but i didnt say nothin to him he was watchin a video at my skate shop

Was it at Hammer? Damn we like go back and shit, thats tight. If you ever see me in TO or anywhere you can expect me to holler at you for sure.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 05:39:33 PM »
Ryan Hickey "mad dogged" me when I did a sw hardflip on the small banks 12 years ago...like, I did it, and he said some shit like "nah man..."
I deserved it though, it was probably disgusting looking. 

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
nowheresville, Illinois
I just googled this. It's actually a real place!  :o :o :o

thieveslikeus

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »
Ryan Hickey "mad dogged" me when I did a sw hardflip on the small banks 12 years ago...like, I did it, and he said some shit like "nah man..."
I deserved it though, it was probably disgusting looking. 
hahahaha. people tell me about how much of a dick he is but on the few random occurences i've talked to him at Supreme he's always pretty cool. just super overly confident..
from QS:
“This nigga called me in the middle of the night, hysterical and crying, saying that he fucked up, and I’m like, ‘Shit, he killed somebody.’ Then he tells me he hit a parked car.” - Ryan Hickey
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:50:10 PM by thieveslikeus »