Author Topic: Encounters with Pro Skaters  (Read 147585 times)

Kert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Encounters with Pro Skaters
« Reply #360 on: February 08, 2011, 08:16:58 AM »
Great stories. Only way to 'meet' pros over here has been the Simpel Session contest. Perhaps the 2 most memorable ones have been Bastien Salabanzi and Penny.

In 2005, Bastien won the contest. Some time during it, he was walking around the arena with some stuff and a DVD in his hand. Didn't want to bug him asking for a signature but still did. He was really polite and gave the DVD for me to hold it while he signed my 'really sorry' dvd I had with me. Then he walked off, and left his dvd with me (which was the German 'Panorama' video). Never saw him later to give it back.

In 2010, Penny was supposed to take part in the contest. He didn't show up during the 2 days it took place. Then after the finals had ended and best trick started, he walked in. I think it might've been someone else's board but he did a tre on flat and then tried a fakie tre down some set and bailed it. Then he left. Later saw him outside smoking something and went up to him, thanking him for showing up and he was polite enough to sign the same 'really sorry' dvd I had with me. Would've been cool to see him skate more, but what the hell.

http://www.twitpic.com/12a3r8
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:21:15 AM by Kert »

Hold The Tomatos

« Reply #361 on: February 08, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »
One time, this girl met Gator....

chimchim

• Rep: -7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #362 on: February 08, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
I have a pretty good Karl Watson story for everyone.  I was at our local park a few weeks back and Karl came up and introduced himself to me and the first thing he ask me was "are you jewish" then he goes I probable shouldn't have said that and walked away.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #363 on: February 08, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »
hahaha
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #364 on: February 08, 2011, 01:51:14 PM »
Great stories. Only way to 'meet' pros over here has been the Simpel Session contest. Perhaps the 2 most memorable ones have been Bastien Salabanzi and Penny.

In 2005, Bastien won the contest. Some time during it, he was walking around the arena with some stuff and a DVD in his hand. Didn't want to bug him asking for a signature but still did. He was really polite and gave the DVD for me to hold it while he signed my 'really sorry' dvd I had with me. Then he walked off, and left his dvd with me (which was the German 'Panorama' video). Never saw him later to give it back.

In 2010, Penny was supposed to take part in the contest. He didn't show up during the 2 days it took place. Then after the finals had ended and best trick started, he walked in. I think it might've been someone else's board but he did a tre on flat and then tried a fakie tre down some set and bailed it. Then he left. Later saw him outside smoking something and went up to him, thanking him for showing up and he was polite enough to sign the same 'really sorry' dvd I had with me. Would've been cool to see him skate more, but what the hell.

Always heard by people who had encounters with Bastien, that he was a really cool guy even if sometimes he likes to show off, i never understood the hate...
I guess people want pro skaters to be humble and discret

doyle

• Rep: 212
« Reply #365 on: February 08, 2011, 02:01:17 PM »
Every summer there's skate camps that I film at the plaza that I work at here, and the etnies team gets flown up.

This is the video from 09, there's some Bledsoe, Torgerson, Malto, and Mike Taylor footage mixed in with kids' shit.

Check 2:05 til 2:34
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:20:03 PM by doyle »

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #366 on: February 08, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
At 2008 Mystic cup at Prague, at the afterparty, we were hanging out with drunk Sandro Dias for a while.. One of my friends had this girlfriend, who had a ugly friend, who was a total bitch. We told Sandro that she is a crazy bitch, and as he was drunk, he kept pointing a finger to her yelling crazy bitch to her laughing his ass of. That was pretty sick. Later that night, me and my friend went to skatepark to sit on the tribune to chill for a bit, and he passed out.. I was just sitting there, and Chima with some friend came by, sat down next to us and asked for some rolling papers. Unfortunately I havent had one, so they just left.  Pretty crazy night.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #367 on: February 08, 2011, 03:09:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Always heard by people who had encounters with Bastien, that he was a really cool guy even if sometimes he likes to show off, i never understood the hate...
I guess people want pro skaters to be humble and discret

Fuck that. I want self cheering, b/s flipping over your house Bastien. He's the Kenny Powers of skateboarding.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
  • illinoying
« Reply #368 on: February 08, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »
i met tony hawk
he was a dick
jaws and Riley were pre cool though

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #369 on: February 08, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
i met tony hawk
he was a dick
jaws and Riley were pre cool though

I guess his nickname isn't boney cock for nothing.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #370 on: February 08, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »
Mike York was the nicest one I've ever met. Oh yah, and Tim O'Connor is super friendly and not dickly at all.

sixpackoftablets

• Rep: -24
  • salut les fuckheadz
« Reply #371 on: February 08, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »
Saw Gonz again today. Nice guy.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #372 on: February 08, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
javier nunez is probably the coolest dude ever
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #373 on: February 08, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »
Oh YAH!

Met Carroll and Daniel Castillo at a Girl Demo at SUD skates when I was 14 - I was taller than Daniel.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #374 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »
Jamal Williams taught me how to bluntslide at the Charles Benches one time (hard to do if you know the spot, not a lot of room between the edge of the bench and the wall behind it).
he was a super nice dude.

Jerry Fowler was there with him. He wasn't a super nice dude.
@idealhandmades

c. 1995

• Rep: 31
« Reply #375 on: February 09, 2011, 05:40:13 AM »
Saw Gonz again today. Nice guy.

See him around kind of often.

Once I was riding my bike across Houston and I'm waiting at a red light. Pretty busy intersection. I see this guy across the street also on a bicycle and a girl who's riding with him but across the street already, riding right by me. Gonz rides thru the red light, the wrong way not really paying attention holding up a camera phone and telling the girl "ride thru that puddle!"

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #376 on: February 09, 2011, 06:32:07 AM »
One time like a few summers ago, me and a couple buds rounded up what little money we had and got a van and traveled the country trying to catch up with the Jimmy Wilson tour bus. We skated in some contests did a demo at Tom Greens skate shop on the way. We chased that bastard trying to get his attention all the way to Cali where we entered a pro contest and my friend Eric ended up outskating these wigger kids on the half pipe after it. I guess Jimmy saw it and Eric got invited to go on the rest of the Jimmy Wilson tour in their van. It was really fun and I think they ended up making a movie about it?

ginz2

• Rep: 4
  • i seent it.
« Reply #377 on: February 09, 2011, 02:05:16 PM »
One time like a few summers ago, me and a couple buds rounded up what little money we had and got a van and traveled the country trying to catch up with the Jimmy Wilson tour bus. We skated in some contests did a demo at Tom Greens skate shop on the way. We chased that bastard trying to get his attention all the way to Cali where we entered a pro contest and my friend Eric ended up outskating these wigger kids on the half pipe after it. I guess Jimmy saw it and Eric got invited to go on the rest of the Jimmy Wilson tour in their van. It was really fun and I think they ended up making a movie about it?

nah.
grom n proud

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #378 on: February 09, 2011, 02:40:37 PM »
Tim O'Connor is super friendly and not dickly at all.

Not a pro, but when I visited SF, Phelps--pulled by Mic E on a bike--rode past me and a group of people outside Four Barrel Coffee, yelled, "Good job you fucking hipsters!" while throwing the horns, palm-inwards. After he turned the corner a Christmas tree caught on fire. It felt right.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
« Reply #379 on: February 09, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
i saw tony hawk throw his helmet in anger at the park in athens, ga on the birdhouse tour

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #380 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:44 PM »
Gnars on the Phelper story.  So sick.

SilvergultRab

• Rep: -58
« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:39 PM »
Chilled with Andy Scott a fair few times, I don't care about anyone else i have met. Andy Scott is the shit.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #382 on: February 10, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »
Cardiel judged a bowl contest my homie won. Afterwards I walked up to him to hand him a local video I made that had footage of my friend in it. He asked me what to do with it and I said "Just watch it!" He looked me in the eye all stoked and shook my hand thankful. Made me an even bigger fan.

...and on an unrelated note, two of my friends are actually living in a house he used to live at in Sac. They sometimes get mail with his name on it. Pretty random.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #383 on: February 10, 2011, 03:38:02 AM »
unfortunatley i havnt found out his name yet, but on saterday one of the adidas europe team came to my local, i recognised him from the big push 2010. he was sick, front smithing the big block ( like 4 foot high) and then sessioned the pier 7 obstacle...

in about 10 minutes he riffled off, front blunt, front blunt fakie, back nose blunt, flip back smith bs 180 to fakie, then worked for about 5-10 minutes on a back tail bs bigspin out which looked soo fucking nice

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #384 on: February 10, 2011, 04:07:10 PM »
Nicest:  Ray Barbee, Ben Gilley, Salman Agah, Dan Rogers, BA, Hensley

Complete dicks:  Mike V (tv days), koston, Pat Smith, Steve Berra (at 18),

Most rippingest rippers I've ever seen in person:  Wade Speyer, Alan Peterson, Busenitz,

Star struck:  Heath, Hensley

First Demo- John Gibson, I was young, I didn't meet him.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:15:07 PM by E Flems »
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #385 on: February 13, 2011, 03:00:41 AM »
I gave Choppy Omega some rolling papers tonight.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #386 on: February 13, 2011, 03:07:45 AM »
Just realized today that ive seen Matt Hensley like 7 times ,  hes in flogging molly.

sixpackoftablets

• Rep: -24
  • salut les fuckheadz
« Reply #387 on: February 13, 2011, 06:53:13 AM »
Just realized today that ive seen Matt Hensley like 7 times ,  hes in flogging molly.

But we'd rather pretend he isn't.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #388 on: February 13, 2011, 07:52:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Just realized today that ive seen Matt Hensley like 7 times ,  hes in flogging molly.
[close]

But we'd rather pretend he isn't.

Whats wrong with Flogging Molly , punk rockish irish folk music  with depressing lyrics about lost love and drinking ? whats not to like ?

plus being in that band has given him a source of expressing his music while getting paid and touring the world . whats not to like about that ?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:24:14 PM by Monty Burns »

Nick

• Rep: 0
« Reply #389 on: February 13, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »
Adelmo Jr. has an aroma. Whether it's good smelling or not, I still dont know. You just know when he's around.