Author Topic: Post your DIY spots  (Read 196431 times)

Rusty_Berrings

Re: Post your DIY spots
« Reply #360 on: January 22, 2014, 04:46:13 AM »
oh, well, since you said there's a "stack" of the parking blocks near the spot why don't you line some up and attach em with cement for one long grand parking block? if i had a "stack" of parking blocks I sure as hell wouldn't just throw two on the ground and call it a day..

yungthug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #361 on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:18 AM »
oh, well, since you said there's a "stack" of the parking blocks near the spot why don't you line some up and attach em with cement for one long grand parking block? if i had a "stack" of parking blocks I sure as hell wouldn't just throw two on the ground and call it a day..

I hear you man. I definitely have plans for expansion. There are several logistical challenges though. For one, the spot is right next to the staging area for JMU's service vehicles. The parking blocks are technically University property.  If an employee sees us working with concrete there and decides to call the police, we're fucked. Speaking of police, the campus police roll through there often. So we had to be stealthy just moving the two parking blocks. Hopefully I'll be able to do more with the spot once the weather warms up. For now it serves it's purpose.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #362 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hear you man. I definitely have plans for expansion. There are several logistical challenges though. For one, the spot is right next to the staging area for JMU's service vehicles. The parking blocks are technically University property.  If an employee sees us working with concrete there and decides to call the police, we're fucked. Speaking of police, the campus police roll through there often. So we had to be stealthy just moving the two parking blocks. Hopefully I'll be able to do more with the spot once the weather warms up. For now it serves it's purpose.
Looks like it could be fun, and if you can throw some more concrete at it you could make it a great little DIY. All of my friends at JMU have graduated, but if I'm ever in Harrisonburg again I'll definitely ask you for where that's at.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #363 on: January 29, 2014, 01:10:02 AM »
Just moved to the Bay, this aint my spot but I've been going here a little bit and I'm trying to get in on the cleaning/work crew when I have some time. Lots of rad people working on this one.

goathead

• Rep: -5
« Reply #364 on: January 29, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »
Suvilahti DIY park in Helsinki, Finland.
http://vimeo.com/84109846
Don't worry there is also sick skateboarding footage in there!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:13:37 AM by goathead »

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #365 on: February 01, 2014, 09:39:35 PM »

Found this a couple weeks back.

nylin

« Reply #366 on: February 01, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
Just moved to the Bay, this aint my spot but I've been going here a little bit and I'm trying to get in on the cleaning/work crew when I have some time. Lots of rad people working on this one.

This one looks fucking amazing. It looks nice and secluded too for minimum attention from cops and shit.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #367 on: February 05, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »
hardly art, hardly starving

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #368 on: February 05, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »

holy fuck that is amazing
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #369 on: February 05, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »

Is this the diy that's somewhere behind the cow palace?

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #370 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Is this the diy that's somewhere behind the cow palace?
Google maps is your friend. And yes, it does seem to be behind whatever "The Cow Palace" is.

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #371 on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
hardly art, hardly starving

JUSTICE BEAVER

• Rep: 6
  • yes
« Reply #373 on: April 05, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
Making a new quarterpipe, and its real important that the sides look super nice. Does anyone know if plates like this come of dry concrete easy?
Keenan Forever

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #374 on: April 05, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
you can ALWAYS patch the sides up later with cement or patcher.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #375 on: April 05, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »
I agree with the above. When you take off the forms the concrete never looks that wonderful once you get 2" or so deep. If
beauty is a concern skim it later.

And yes, that stuff is probably ok for forms. You just want to get something sturdy enough not bow out with the weight of the crete. Cheap is always a bonus.

JUSTICE BEAVER

• yes
« Reply #376 on: April 06, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »
I agree with the above. When you take off the forms the concrete never looks that wonderful once you get 2" or so deep. If
beauty is a concern skim it later.

And yes, that stuff is probably ok for forms. You just want to get something sturdy enough not bow out with the weight of the crete. Cheap is always a bonus.
Nice, i am going to fix up the sides with tiles anyway. Thanks for the response!
Keenan Forever

4wheels

« Reply #377 on: April 09, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
gonna try to make a concrete block spine thing. never made concrete tranny before, pretty excited to try

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #378 on: April 10, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »
I'm in the process of adopting this park from the city of Detroit. We have a fair amount of money donated to start us off. If you're going to be in the area around the beginning of June, hit me up and check it out.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #379 on: April 10, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
I'm in the process of adopting this park from the city of Detroit. We have a fair amount of money donated to start us off. If you're going to be in the area around the beginning of June, hit me up and check it out.
Hey man where's this at in Detroit?
For Your Health

Hamish

• Rep: -4
  • is not Illusionary
« Reply #380 on: May 02, 2014, 11:42:55 PM »
So I'm thinking about building a curb for slappy shenanigans, do I need a particular type of paint?

silkyjohnson

« Reply #381 on: May 03, 2014, 02:39:15 AM »
So I'm thinking about building a curb for slappy shenanigans, do I need a particular type of paint?
Try a can of krylon

Hamish

• Rep: -4
  • is not Illusionary
« Reply #382 on: May 03, 2014, 03:13:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Try a can of krylon
I've never heard of it, but I'll give it a look. Can it be any kind of industrial spray paint?

silkyjohnson

« Reply #383 on: May 03, 2014, 04:39:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Try a can of krylon
[close]
I've never heard of it, but I'll give it a look. Can it be any kind of industrial spray paint?
Pretty much, if you prefer a cheaper alternative to cans of krylon paint walmart sells store brand spray paint for a buck.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #384 on: May 03, 2014, 06:45:56 PM »
gonna try to make a concrete block spine thing. never made concrete tranny before, pretty excited to try

Is one side of this spine right up against a bridge pillar?

JUSTICE BEAVER

• yes
« Reply #385 on: May 18, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
Took a fuckload of time, but built a Gaudi inspired quarterpipe with a rounded coping i will finish tomorrow.

In full quality(2 big to embed) It looks WAY better in these photos, but they got all fucked up when i would embed them.
http://i.imgur.com/ob4hIDZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nzDI0B2.jpg
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:28:24 PM by JUSTICE BEAVER »
Keenan Forever

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #386 on: May 18, 2014, 03:58:07 PM »
I love how that little quarter looks ornamental and not just some bland slab of concrete. I feel like people would be less inclined to tear it down if it looks nice. 

Enjoi San Jose

• Rep: -38
« Reply #387 on: May 18, 2014, 04:24:25 PM »
Noob question but, I recently found a spot I'd like to start building some stuff, I've only really had experience in making various types of ledges, I'd like to make a mellow quarter pipe, anybody have any tips at all?

shark tits

« Reply #388 on: May 18, 2014, 04:29:23 PM »
we built 2 banks so you wallride over a gap. here's a warmup wallie offa one of the banks. hopefully we'll have new footage of it soon. i've given up on the idea of one major DIY and just doing a little midnight construction here and there.
Handsome jack

JUSTICE BEAVER

• yes
« Reply #389 on: May 19, 2014, 06:50:37 AM »
I love how that little quarter looks ornamental and not just some bland slab of concrete. I feel like people would be less inclined to tear it down if it looks nice. 
Yeah, at first the owner of the property got a little angry because i used concrete again. But when i started covering it with tiles he started taking pictures of it all happy. Pretty stoked on bypassers giving compliments also.
Keenan Forever