Author Topic: Motorcycles  (Read 55593 times)

Seventyfrigginseven

Re: Motorcycles
« Reply #300 on: June 13, 2020, 07:36:16 AM »

I took a break from skateboarding for a while, and tried to fill the void with motorcycles/dirtbikes..Fun shit but it didn't work.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:40:41 AM by Seventyfrigginseven »

elbarto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #301 on: June 13, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »
I bought my first bike a couple years ago (V30 Magna 500), and just got a 2006 Sportster 883. Anyone got experience on Sporty’s? I’m stoked on the customization aspect and am currently kind of turning it into more of a bobber.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #302 on: June 13, 2020, 06:22:25 PM »
I bought my first bike a couple years ago (V30 Magna 500), and just got a 2006 Sportster 883. Anyone got experience on Sporty’s? I’m stoked on the customization aspect and am currently kind of turning it into more of a bobber.
I knew a dude with an 883,he spent a couple hundy on the s&s 1200 conversion. He was stoked. Mini apes and chop that rear fender,boom! Haha

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #303 on: June 13, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I knew a dude with an 883,he spent a couple hundy on the s&s 1200 conversion. He was stoked. Mini apes and chop that rear fender,boom! Haha

Oh hell yeah. I don’t think I’ll be doing the CC conversion but all I really need to do now is chop the tail and get a spring seat. I have a travel seat I hooked up and when she’s fully done I’m hitting the road for a month and gettin the fuck away from city life for a while. Portland’s been kinda crazy lately lol

taro

• Rep: 6
    • Online Portfolio avatar image
« Reply #304 on: June 19, 2020, 05:59:39 AM »
Just stumbled across this topic.. so many rad bikes. We just currently did a trip. Maybe some of you are interested  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhZywaC-Ehg

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #305 on: June 19, 2020, 07:45:03 AM »

My mountain ripper in front of my wifes food truck yesterday. It was so nice out, I should of kept riding but I needed a rootbeer float. Which resulted in me getting put to work.  :-\

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2020, 06:25:35 AM »

I have a 1200- just finished hardtailing it a couple weeks ago.

peptobismol

« Reply #307 on: August 13, 2020, 06:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

weld-on hardtail?

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #308 on: September 07, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Badass. I finally got the title and registration the other day, been riding around a bit but still need insurance before I do any longer trips (or ride more in general). I’m a small ass dude and was honestly a bit spooked at first but gettin used to it and having a blast. Way smoother than the Magna lol

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #309 on: September 08, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »
Mostly a trail rider but gone to the track a couple of times and had a lot of fun. Previously had a dual sport but riding on the road is pretty sketchy with all the text-and-drivers out there! I do want a plated bike again though, if only cus it opens up more riding areas.

Please ignore my bad foot positioning lol.

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2020, 01:57:31 PM »
Mostly a trail rider but gone to the track a couple of times and had a lot of fun. Previously had a dual sport but riding on the road is pretty sketchy with all the text-and-drivers out there! I do want a plated bike again though, if only cus it opens up more riding areas.

is that a 250 or 125? it looks like an older yz, steel frame?

Andmoreagain

« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

is that a 250 or 125? it looks like an older yz, steel frame?

It's a 2016 250x basically a yz250 with a kickstand, 18" rear and wide(r) range gearbox. Aluminum frame but the previous owner had it coated black. I threw the old school shroud graphics on there just cus.

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2020, 02:39:42 PM »
oh man, yeah the graphics and frame paint really threw me off there. hows that 18" wheel for the track though? do you notice a difference as opposed to using a 19" rear? what kind of tires are you running?

Andmoreagain

« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2020, 02:55:37 PM »
oh man, yeah the graphics and frame paint really threw me off there. hows that 18" wheel for the track though? do you notice a difference as opposed to using a 19" rear? what kind of tires are you running?

Never had any issues on the track, but I am not railing corners like Eli Tomac so sidewall roll is not really an issue haha. I'm running IRC VE33s right now which aren't really ideal for track but did ok. Wore out fast on the rocks and roots we ride around here though. I'm about to put a Starcross 5 on the rear which should be better on the track.

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2020, 10:09:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never had any issues on the track, but I am not railing corners like Eli Tomac so sidewall roll is not really an issue haha. I'm running IRC VE33s right now which aren't really ideal for track but did ok. Wore out fast on the rocks and roots we ride around here though. I'm about to put a Starcross 5 on the rear which should be better on the track.

well, since youre not tomac, you dont really need to care about what you have in the rear, its just going to spin anyway. the front is what really counts. id recommend a medium compound and a refresh on your suspension if you havent done it already. i only hear good things about the starcross. how many hours do your motor have?

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #315 on: September 08, 2020, 10:38:41 PM »
I have some starcross's on my zook at the moment... they work better than the bridgestones i was running before

i need to change them though (front is non existent)... going to try some med compound dunlops next time

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #316 on: September 08, 2020, 10:52:33 PM »
I have some starcross's on my zook at the moment... they work better than the bridgestones i was running before

i need to change them though (front is non existent)... going to try some med compound dunlops next time
which bridgestones? the battlecross?..........tf is a zook, doe?

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: September 08, 2020, 11:15:23 PM »
zook = suzuki...

They were the bridgstone enduro tires... Gritty ED's (so i could legally ride on the road)
michelins just work/worked better
IRC ive used in the past Ive liked but they don't last long

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #318 on: September 08, 2020, 11:34:17 PM »
zook = suzuki...

They were the bridgstone enduro tires... Gritty ED's (so i could legally ride on the road)
michelins just work/worked better
IRC ive used in the past Ive liked but they don't last long

heehhh, learn something new everyday. ive heard zuki, but never zook. so you got a dr? drz? rm? rmz? rmx?

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2020, 12:29:18 AM »
I have an Frankenstein 93 RMX ... (jp ver) → SJ13 bottom end (with oil pump removed), a cylinder from the SJ14 (no more exploding power valve and better port timing) and RM head as well as RM front and rear sus

It actually works pretty well... much better than the lifeless lump it started out as

I want to do a VMX race sometime in the near future so I am restoring an 85 rm125 (taking a long long time)

And Am trying to get an2stroke MX bike bike from the late 90's early 00's but they are non existent here (all been exported out of Japan) or way out of my budget. (don't want to get a Yammy as every tom dick and harry has one.. .even though they are awesome)

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2020, 01:26:41 AM »
I have an Frankenstein 93 RMX ... (jp ver) → SJ13 bottom end (with oil pump removed), a cylinder from the SJ14 (no more exploding power valve and better port timing) and RM head as well as RM front and rear sus

It actually works pretty well... much better than the lifeless lump it started out as

I want to do a VMX race sometime in the near future so I am restoring an 85 rm125 (taking a long long time)

And Am trying to get an2stroke MX bike bike from the late 90's early 00's but they are non existent here (all been exported out of Japan) or way out of my budget. (don't want to get a Yammy as every tom dick and harry has one.. .even though they are awesome)

do it once, do it right, take your time. i would love to see progress pictures if youre willing to share. i have a 91 kdx250. its cool but the reason i bought is because its got a plate. im in the process of converting the charging system to put out dc so i can run lights directly from the stator. im slowly building it into a supermoto(sorry, not sorry), i got custom 17" wheels from dubya that are pretty trick and im also fabricating a caliper bracket to accommodate the 300mm front rotor since nobody makes anything compatible with my forks.
if youre looking an older mx 2 stroke, id recommend an rm250. from all the magazines ive read and old dogs ive talked to, those bikes handled the best. or just say fuck all and go for a cr500 or kx500 but unless youre swole af, say goodbye to your arms.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2020, 02:24:29 AM »
@moneymoneymoney my buddy has a KX500... we are supposed to go riding when I get a new VAN (rona is killing that front too).. i am sure it will kill me when i do have a go on it and wheelie in every gear...

I want an 04 RM250 onwards (and have been looking for ever) or a steel framed CR250r
(but i would prefere a yellow bike.. i like yellow)

there is some pics of the 125 on my instagram dorkbert (it might be in JP or eng)... i was going to post all the pics in here when i get closer to completion... right now the engine is apart waiting to get vapour blasted... crank is off getting rebuilt (the LH side was fudged and probably caused the previous owner to blow the bike up and then leave it outside for 30years) and the rest is in the shed waiting for some love... I am friends with someone who worked at Suzuki as a chamber designer and works MX mechanic in the 70's early 80's and he is helping me with lots of things... he knows the era of bikes well and he helped design it in 83/84

through some picks up of your SM too...

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2020, 02:40:17 AM »
@moneymoneymoney my buddy has a KX500... we are supposed to go riding when I get a new VAN (rona is killing that front too).. i am sure it will kill me when i do have a go on it and wheelie in every gear...

I want an 04 RM250 onwards (and have been looking for ever) or a steel framed CR250r

there is some pics of the 125 on my instagram dorkbert (it might be in JP or eng)... i was going to post all the pics in here when i get closer to completion... right now the engine is apart waiting to get vapour blasted... crank is off getting rebuilt (the LH side was fudged and probably caused the previous owner to blow the bike up and then leave it outside for 30years) and the rest is in the shed waiting for some love... I am friends with someone who worked at Suzuki as a chamber designer and works MX mechanic in the 70's early 80's and he is helping me with lots of things... he knows the era of bikes well and he helped design it in 83/84

well.... if were going to be flexing and name dropping, i used to work at a shop where one of the owners had a hand in the development of the xr650r(THEE baja bike) and the other owner raced flattrack bikes built by erv kanemoto in the 70's.

it sounds like youre in japan? my lifelong goal is to move to japan and work for hrc. i dont have instagram, this is the closest thing i have to social media, that shit is cancer if you ask me. ill post a few pictures of my bike later today.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: September 09, 2020, 03:29:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

well.... if were going to be flexing and name dropping, i used to work at a shop where one of the owners had a hand in the development of the xr650r(THEE baja bike) and the other owner raced flattrack bikes built by erv kanemoto in the 70's.

it sounds like youre in japan? my lifelong goal is to move to japan and work for hrc. i dont have instagram, this is the closest thing i have to social media, that shit is cancer if you ask me. ill post a few pictures of my bike later today.

That is good guy to know... my son loves the old terrafirma vid bot with the dude hauling butt on an xr650r

if you ever get over here and work at HRC/HGA you need to get your road bike skills up as lots of the people there do before work sessions and they are all fast 

I work in Motorsport here (f1, MotoGP SBK, wec, supergt, fpon etc)

Andmoreagain

« Reply #324 on: September 09, 2020, 06:42:31 AM »
Loving that this thread is turning into MX nerd talk. @moneymoneymoney my front tire is in good shape but when it comes time to change I'll be putting an mx33 back on. Fave front tire so far.

Bike has about 180 hrs total, but had a full rebuild at 115, and I'm doing the top end within a few hours. I can get a good amount of hours out of a piston since a lot of my riding is low-rpm enduro type shit. Suspension is valved for my weight and riding style.

Next big mod is putting honda brakes on the front. The stock brake is so squishy, no matter how much I bleed it. Kind of crazy how much better Honda's brake even though they're both nissin systems. Got a caliper and master from a crf450 on ebay for $60, should hopefully bolt right up.

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #325 on: September 09, 2020, 01:36:29 PM »
@Andmoreagain when you do the top end, get the "d" piston. it might be called the "purple" piston. its still a standard size piston but the tolerances are on the higher end, giving a tighter fit and more power......yikes i need to stop being an armchair mechanic. heres the part # anyway 1P8-11631-00-D0

heres my bike, i dont want to go outside its too smokey where i am so this is all i have. theres a lot missing on there, i know.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: September 09, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »
@moneymoneymoney looking good... are they the original bars?
I am a big fan of The early 90's Kawasaki flo green and blue ano forks combo

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #327 on: September 09, 2020, 06:05:53 PM »
no, no theyre not original. just some renthals that came with the bike.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #328 on: May 25, 2021, 08:23:11 AM »
First brand new bike and first four-stroke in about 3 bikes. It's a 350. Thing rips. I've added handguards, skid plate, and disc guard since i took this pic. Racing it this weekend, can't wait.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #329 on: March 06, 2023, 09:57:02 PM »
Bumping this old thread for the love of motorized two wheeled vehicles.

I have a '91 Suzuki DR350. It's very reliable as long as I can get it started. Kick start only and it only seems to be getting harder to start as the miles go up. Great bike though, pretty much does it all from highway to single track. One day I'll upgrade to a DRZ400 with an electric start. I like bikes with small engines. I'd like to get a street bike in the 600 range one day too when I live in the country again.

You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?