Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 142294 times)

Harem

Re: Jobs
« Reply #270 on: November 29, 2011, 01:31:02 AM »
Customer adviser/Sales consultant for a telecommunications company. So selling Mobile phones, Internet, Pay TV & so forth. #1 Telco in Australia and #10 in the world. I work for 30 hours a week over 5 days, $16 p/hour + commission (Which is anywhere between $1,500 - 2,500 a month) + benefits.

Karlos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
« Reply #271 on: November 29, 2011, 05:50:13 AM »
Customer adviser/Sales consultant for a telecommunications company. So selling Mobile phones, Internet, Pay TV & so forth. #1 Telco in Australia and #10 in the world. I work for 30 hours a week over 5 days, $16 p/hour + commission (Which is anywhere between $1,500 - 2,500 a month) + benefits.

If this is for Telstra, selling Foxtel, Bigpond and stuff.. the worst job i ever done. knocking on peoples doors or calling them to sell overpriced service. Free pizza was awesome tho

Harem

« Reply #272 on: November 29, 2011, 07:39:46 AM »
It is Telsta, yes. I don't knock on peoples doors or call anyone. I work in store. If you do it door to door or outbound call centre, sucks for sure. I heard you only get paid in commission with door to door. When you work in a busy store, and sales get handed to do you, its pretty great. As for being over priced, we are in regards to some things, Telstra has come a long way in the last year or so. When you have the best coverage in Australia, a lot of people don't give a shit about the price and are happy to pay the extra for the coverage.

How long did you work for Telstra?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:44:23 AM by Harem »

Karlos

• Rep: -3
« Reply #273 on: November 29, 2011, 07:48:12 AM »
It is Telsta, yes. I don't knock on peoples doors or call anyone. I work in store. If you do it door to door or outbound call centre, sucks for sure. But when you work in a busy store, and sales get handed to do you, its great.

Whole different story then, sorry. If people come to the store, they probably have the intention of buying or upgrading something. That i can dig. I was the door to door guy in Perth, which for me was wrong in very many ways. Did the training for i think two weeks , worked for a few days but couldnt stand it. The money was alright but not worth it
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:57:26 AM by Karlos »

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #274 on: November 29, 2011, 08:12:16 AM »
i walk dogs. it's pretty great. it's about $12/hr just to chill with some puppies. it sucks in the winter though. i'm getting my bar tending license and getting certified to teach right now so hopefully i'll have a new gig before the big snow fall.

daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #275 on: November 29, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
It is Telsta, yes. I don't knock on peoples doors or call anyone. I work in store. If you do it door to door or outbound call centre, sucks for sure. I heard you only get paid in commission with door to door. When you work in a busy store, and sales get handed to do you, its pretty great. As for being over priced, we are in regards to some things, Telstra has come a long way in the last year or so. When you have the best coverage in Australia, a lot of people don't give a shit about the price and are happy to pay the extra for the coverage.

A man who stands by his products. I can admire that.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #276 on: November 29, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »
Expand Quote
It's like half of your whole day that you spend at work. If you aren't satisfied... that would be a shitty life
[close]

this is so true.

i always give people this career advice. write down all the things you enjoy doing that pay. like what classes do you enjoy, what do you enjoy watching on tv (politics, sports), etc... just finding everything you have passion for. then figure out what jobs there are in each area, how hard they are to get and how much they pay. then from there you have what you need to pick something and i really think acting like money doesn't matter is screwing the future you. it might not matter today but in the future you might feel differently about it. if you pick something that you have passion in then you will crush it and won't be sitting around sweating the clock all day hating your life.

on my path i was thinking i wanted to do computer animation but when i balanced that with what i actually have skills at, the pay, work\life balance, etc... i ended up studying programming. at first i thought i wanted to program video games but again after releveling for cash, work\life, ect... i ended up building enterprise applications. the products i build aren't cool or exciting to outsiders. sitting through an explanation of what this pipeline managment software does would put anyone to sleep. but when balancing out the whole picture i'm still sitting around solving problems in code but instead of my code pretending it's launching rockets at aliens it's helping roughnecks test pipelines for issues.

i think the absolute wrong thing to do is focus on the means to the end. you see so many people majoring in psychology because they are scared of "hard classes" like math and science and only thinking that getting a degree is the end game. the point you made is what this way of thinking is missing. the degree is the start of a lifetime of doing something for at least half your day and the other half won't be much fun if you are broke as shit. finding that right balance i think is key.

and if you think about it skating is hard as hell but as everyone on this forum knows, that's part of what makes it tight. you actually feel like you've accomplished something when you learn a trick. so i don't get the whole vibe of not wanting to study hard topics. they can be super rewarding because they are hard.
I am trying to pretend you didn't say that. I struggle with this because I want to do something productive for society yet make a decent living. I was thinking about trying to get into Non-profit development. In that position I make good money for the non-profit world but bad money in comparison to my for-profit counterpart.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2011, 02:54:32 PM »
well it sounds like you've got good options. i was talking more to being careful to not lock yourself into a lifestyle that works today but might leave you feeling streched thin over the long haul.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #278 on: November 29, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »
I'm a freelance motion graphics designer.  This past year has been hectic, thankfully, I've been constantly busy and progressing, working with some companies and individuals whose work I respect and admire, which in turn helps me raise my game.  Certain projects can get stressful to the point, but that's rare - by and large I love what I do and really enjoy it.  Yay.  As sleazy said earlier, getting the work/life balance right and enjoying what you do are vital.

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Mechanical engineering technician.
[close]

that's pretty much what i want to be doing. did you study at school for it or how did you start off ?

While I can't speak for barkeep, I go to a predominantly engineering school and have several friends who are MET majors. Basically the easy version of a mechanical engineer (math stops at Calc 2, more labs and fewer high-level theory classes) with a focus on the hands-on side of it. Most of them started as real ME's and quit when the math got hard so we give them shit all the time, but the dumbest friend of mine is an MET and already has a job lined up a full semester before graduating. So yeah, seems like a good path to me. Not sure how you would get into it without the Bachelor's, though.

As for me, I work at and help administrate my school's math learning center (help other college students with their math classes). It's an awesome job, very rewarding, pays very well for an on-campus, and I have a lot of freedom to expand and improve the place as I see fit. Pretty bummed on graduating and having to get a "real job". I'm also a grader, but that job blows ass.

Anyone here with a Bachelor's in math, econ, or similar? What are you doing with your life?
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2011, 04:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how do I get an entry level job working in the legally upstanding medicinal marijuana field?
im good with scissors.
[close]
That wouldn't be a good idea right now dude. The DEA is pretty much shitting on all the dispensaries. They've raided dozens of them in the last couple of months.
[close]
yeah yeah yeah, but HOW do you get that to be your job. Humbolt County Community College?

asking a question like that will never do it for you.

oneshovel

« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
I'm thinking of studying to become a physical therapy assistant.  From what I gather, it would be a secure, rewarding, decent paying job.  I've been drawn towards the field of health for awhile now, but I'm not quite "doctor smart", and with all due respect to nurses, I'm not into changing Depends.

Naturally, before speaking to school officials, I thought I'd ask Slap if anyone knows any PTAs.  Or has any insight to share in regards to this occupation.

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
I'm thinking of studying to become a physical therapy assistant.  From what I gather, it would be a secure, rewarding, decent paying job.  I've been drawn towards the field of health for awhile now, but I'm not quite "doctor smart", and with all due respect to nurses, I'm not into changing Depends.

Naturally, before speaking to school officials, I thought I'd ask Slap if anyone knows any PTAs.  Or has any insight to share in regards to this occupation.

I've got some friends getting Bachelor's in PT. One graduated and is a waitress, another is finishing a dual in pre-med so I expect him to do better, and another is finishing just PT this semester but I haven't talked to him in a bit. Oh and another friend from a different school graduated and works at a bike shop. Not a representative sample by any means, and I don't know anything about PT myself, but it seems tough to find jobs. Then again, people always hurt themselves, so PT should be moderately recession-proof, right?

Oh wait, physical therapy assistant? Is that a less-than-4-years certification type thing?
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

oneshovel

« Reply #283 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
Yeah it's the two year option that earns you 10-20k less than the actual therapist.  I'd just rather start working sooner than later, and upgrade later on if I choose.  My research tells me the market is ever growing, mainly with seniors, but not limited to.  Apparently 3/4 PTAs are female.. but it doesn't seem like that much of a chick job, you need strength to do it.. Sorry I'm just thinking out loud here.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #284 on: February 06, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
i walk dogs. it's pretty great. it's about $12/hr just to chill with some puppies. it sucks in the winter though. i'm getting my bar tending license and getting certified to teach right now so hopefully i'll have a new gig before the big snow fall.
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #285 on: February 06, 2012, 01:43:07 PM »
I work in the cloakroom at a music venue, it's pretty easy work and good hours, plus I get a clear view of the stage so it's awesome when good bands play as I effectively get paid to watch them.

not so much with my last shift though, fucking All Time Low... I didn't realise that many scene kids still existed jesus christ

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #286 on: February 06, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »
I work as a sales/brandmanager for a clothingcompany.
Cant say that i like the clothes or anything, but i make decent money and i make my own hours so i cant complain.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #287 on: February 06, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Work as a server for a catering company. Going to school to be a fire fighter.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #288 on: February 06, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »
trying to find work after a reeeeeeeealy long illness and its looking pretty bleak.  feel like I have a scarlet letter on my back. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #289 on: February 06, 2012, 04:56:47 PM »
I worked at the US National Whitewater Center this past summer, it was pretty fun. I'm in my 3rd year as a Econ Major now and hoping to do a Co-op next semester. I like Econ a lot too.
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

earlygrab

« Reply #290 on: February 06, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »
I'm a freelance motion graphics designer.  This past year has been hectic, thankfully, I've been constantly busy and progressing, working with some companies and individuals whose work I respect and admire, which in turn helps me raise my game.  Certain projects can get stressful to the point, but that's rare - by and large I love what I do and really enjoy it.  Yay.  As sleazy said earlier, getting the work/life balance right and enjoying what you do are vital.

im in the same boat. I feel blessed that I found this career. It's one of the few industries that the depression cant seem to touch. Then again my day rate hasnt been able to go up in 5yrs so maybe im being optimistic.

you in LA or NYC?

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #291 on: February 06, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
Seasonal park ranger. One week training, seven weeks service.
Ah! That sounds cool. How did you find the job?

MINDFIELD

• Rep: -10
« Reply #292 on: February 06, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »
ive worked at a skate shop since i was 14. im 19 now.

I imagine a whore's vagina would smell like a fresh bag of Doritos

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2012, 07:08:29 PM »
Yeah it's the two year option that earns you 10-20k less than the actual therapist.  I'd just rather start working sooner than later, and upgrade later on if I choose.  My research tells me the market is ever growing, mainly with seniors, but not limited to.  Apparently 3/4 PTAs are female.. but it doesn't seem like that much of a chick job, you need strength to do it.. Sorry I'm just thinking out loud here.

I don't know homie. You're going to make far less being a PTA or PTA than an actual therapist. The criteria is changing too from what i understand. Many companies that hire PTs or OTs are looking for at least a Masters, and it's often said that you might as well go to med school because the req. are getting difficult.

I've got a friend who is in the field and was in a lot of PT/OT of the past couple years. I chatted it up with the guys i worked with. Not to get you feeling down and out but what a school will tell you/what websites read regarding PTA/OTA work isn't what is always happening.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #295 on: February 06, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »
Who was it that got hired as a disney animator?corto?whatsup with it/how is it?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #296 on: February 06, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »
Who else got a BS/BA degree in Psych but is actually using it? I work with people with developmental disabilities, which I like, but it doesn't require any education. Seems like there's nothing out there without a Masters.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #297 on: February 06, 2012, 09:45:56 PM »
Who else got a BS/BA degree in Psych but is actually using it? I work with people with developmental disabilities, which I like, but it doesn't require any education. Seems like there's nothing out there without a Masters.
I'm about to get my BA in psych this May and you are right, there's nothing. I mean there are jobs out there but they will be low paying. If you are thinking about getting your masters, find a job to get some type of experience. Talk to your advisor, I did last week. Have you looked into another job working with those people disabilities? You have experience and a degree, it's a step up and that what employers look for.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »

i haven't used mine for shit.  just jobs that you need any random degree to get hired.  i've mostly worked in hospitals and at drug companies.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

oneshovel

« Reply #299 on: February 07, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »
Really appreesh the real talk.  Found some more unbiased discussions about it online, and their future looks kind of bleak.  Everytime I get hyped on a program this happens.