Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 142467 times)

LOU.502

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
Re: Jobs
« Reply #390 on: May 15, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
Cashier at a arts and crafts store. easy as fuck. plus lotsa pretty girls come in.

im probably lying

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #391 on: May 15, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
I work in finance/accounting, currently at an office in Soho for a company with an 85% female staff.  Loving it now, but working in finance can be fucked up.  You know stuff that you can't talk about.  At my last company there were numerous times we didn't have the cash in the bank to make payroll and would have to hit up ownership for more financing so people's checks wouldn't bounce.  Good times.

How'd you get into that, bachelor's or MBA? Does it pay well?
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #392 on: May 15, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
Expand Quote
I work in finance/accounting, currently at an office in Soho for a company with an 85% female staff.  Loving it now, but working in finance can be fucked up.  You know stuff that you can't talk about.  At my last company there were numerous times we didn't have the cash in the bank to make payroll and would have to hit up ownership for more financing so people's checks wouldn't bounce.  Good times.
[close]

How'd you get into that, bachelor's or MBA? Does it pay well?

Bachelor's in business, emphasis in accounting, ice in veins.  Learned a lot while running several small businesses while also working after college.  Had an opportunity to move to New York, and nailed my job interviews.  The pay is pretty good, but you can make more in sales or if you take the time to get more education-the catch then being that you are more likely to get released when companies change up their strategies, which they do.

filter

• Rep: 7
« Reply #393 on: May 15, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
i haven't had a real job in over two years and its starting to bum me out. had an interview with safeway yesterday(and yes they drug test along with typical retail bs). even though the dt isnt a problem im fairly sure i failed anyway. so, any job suggestions for a 21 year old with limited experience? or life advice from people who have their shit together  ::)

Wall of Nausea

• Rep: -60
« Reply #394 on: May 15, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
i haven't had a real job in over two years and its starting to bum me out. had an interview with safeway yesterday(and yes they drug test along with typical retail bs). even though the dt isnt a problem im fairly sure i failed anyway. so, any job suggestions for a 21 year old with limited experience? or life advice from people who have their shit together  ::)

For drug tests, this kid is a bit lame at first, but used the same strategy many times over (prior to the video made with similar knowledge), buy piss tests before hand. Walmart/walgreens has 'em . Worked at a bank and used this method on the regs, it worked. Takes money to make money sometimes. Even on the low end spectrum of pay. Don't be a simpleton and get up on your research, dude. At 21, you're not 16, although most 21 year olds are basically manchildren these days. Network with people from all backgrounds in any job or personal/school setting. The more the better. Think of options, pros and cons, and prioritize think of what you actually NEED versus what you think you need. Don't follow friends and make a way for yourself. You'll be alright man.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:24:10 PM by Wall of Nausea »

Archie Bunker

• Rep: 17
  • I've got the juice now
« Reply #395 on: May 15, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »
got some d.o.p.e hip hop coming up at my work - mos def, doom, cypress hill, big daddy kane, slaughterhouse... and fucking wu tang got announced today. stoke

what kinda work do you do?
Bitch I'm 'bout it 'bout it

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #396 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
heres another way to pass a piss test for weed. ive done this myself to get my current job and it works. the certo/cer-gel coats your kidneys so the THC doesnt show up in your piss. be prepared to piss about 9-10 times within a few hours beforehand (not exaggerating). it helps to take an asprin as well just to make your piss have a little color to it. i know whiteboy crazy as fuck but this shit works forreal

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #397 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:41 AM »
Expand Quote
where all my grocery store cashies at?
[close]
I actually just got off the phone for a grocery position. It was pretty awkward and I had to really strain to pull answers out of my ass for all their "recall a time when you..." questions.

I might have fucked up though - I listed a friend of mine who was a cashier manager at a farmer's market in Atlanta as a reference and they got the idea that I had worked there or something and started to ask me about my experiences there, I panicked and went along with it and told the lady some vague bullshit.

They're going to call me to schedule a live interview pretty soon, I've never worked retail or dealt with customers in my life. I'm just going to go in this like I've got nothing to lose I guess
I spent most of high school doing this. It's not bad. Tedious and mind numbing, but not too bad. The constant standing gets old though

im probably lying

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #398 on: May 16, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
heres another way to pass a piss test for weed. ive done this myself to get my current job and it works. the certo/cer-gel coats your kidneys so the THC doesnt show up in your piss. be prepared to piss about 9-10 times within a few hours beforehand (not exaggerating). it helps to take an asprin as well just to make your piss have a little color to it. i know whiteboy crazy as fuck but this shit works forreal

all your doing is diluting... save yourself some hastles and just drink water instead

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #399 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote
got some d.o.p.e hip hop coming up at my work - mos def, doom, cypress hill, big daddy kane, slaughterhouse... and fucking wu tang got announced today. stoke
[close]

what kinda work do you do?
cloakroom / bar work at a music venue. part time job whilst studying, but its pretty sweet

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #400 on: May 17, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

all your doing is diluting... save yourself some hastles and just drink water instead

Yea you drink a ton water AND a Gatorade with the certo which temporarily blocks the THC from showing up while still keeping your urine looking normal. Like I said, I've done it before and it works. Just drinking a ton of water will either make your piss clear and have to retake it. That is, if you don't fail the first time

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #401 on: June 08, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »
Technical Support Guy at an electronics company wearing a couple different hats.  It's seriously like Office Space around here, but it's a lot less funny when Lumbergh really is your boss.  Sometimes it's alright, most other times I am not stoked.

malibu hamish

• Rep: -11
« Reply #402 on: June 08, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
I work at a fish market. Pro skaters and snowboarders come in regularly. Its a chill ass job.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #403 on: June 08, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »
I work for one of the biggest screen printing shops in the Phoenix Metro area.

yobzobbler

• Rep: -21
« Reply #404 on: June 08, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »
I make salads at a salad restaurant. I'm still in college so it's a nice supplementary thing until I head wherever with a PR degree. Stressing, though - I've had the job for the past 3-4 weeks and have noticeably lost some weight that I wasn't just by running 4 miles a day. I've woken up to find giant, blastoid veins reaching down my arm lengths - presumably because I spend about 3 hours a day just chopping shit. I guess these are perks?

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #405 on: June 08, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »
I've been working at photography studio that does kids sports portraits for the last 3 years.  $16 an hour + travel when he have to go somewhere.  it's good for the most part, we get sent out to schools and parks by ourselves and don't really have someone looking over our shoulder.  it's up to us to get shit done, which i really like. but I only work there like 15 - 20 hours a week.  

I also just got a job at the local TV studio being a cameraman for their studio shows, and i do the morning new 2 days a week, which is like another 10 hours or so.  $10 an hour, which is ok, but it's more of a thing to put on a resume since i'm going down that path school wise.  plus it's fun.

I slang stuff on craigslist/ebay pretty hard as well, and pull in a "very good" amount of money doing so

Plus I work at Woodward as a counselor in the summers!  I've been doing that for about 4 years now and it's the highlight of my year.  I fucking love skating all day, and even having a cabin full of kids is cool.  it kind of keeps you sparked on skating, and it's just a cool expierience so as it is.  You don't get a whole lot of money for your jobs there, but the kids tip at the end of the week i've always cleaned up with that shit.  they're all rich kids ha.

it trips me out that i'm around kids alot during work, i hated kids growing up.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:06:13 PM by iwshilvdnfinland »

Mr. Faggot

« Reply #406 on: June 09, 2012, 07:44:50 AM »
I bet you love to tuck them in at night too faggot.

DevilOnEnzyte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -236
« Reply #407 on: June 10, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »
i work in car detailing. i prep wash all the cars before they go on to interior & exterior detailing. i just listen to music all day & most of the people i work with are cool as fuck. imagine a bunch of black guys who're all good friends working on cars together. lots of laughs on tha daily.

I've worked in dealersherips my entire life, and the detail guys are always the coolest damn dudes.

Recently took a new position as a service department manager for a small dealership in my town.
Good salary, close to home, no weekends, can't complain.
I get to see Devil semi regularly and his little dude is rad as hell. My wife and I aren't into having little ones, but that'll give me more time to be a god uncle and teach Devil's spawn to slang weed.

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #408 on: June 10, 2012, 07:23:05 PM »
Medical/Supply Associate at a nearby Medical Clinic. I drink a lot of coffee, wait for UPS and Fed-Ex to show up, deliver said packages to Doctors, Labs, departments. I also fill orders and order items for different departments. Pretty down to earth co-workers, nice looking women I work with, free coffee.
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #409 on: June 10, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »

I'm a Skateboardsmith.

@idealhandmades

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #410 on: June 11, 2012, 10:09:11 AM »
Starting a new job in a few weeks with a fairly large financial company doing financial advising and analysis.

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #411 on: June 11, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
Starting a new job in a few weeks with a fairly large financial company doing financial advising and analysis.

That's sweet, how'd you get the position and what degree(s) and experience do you have?
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #412 on: June 14, 2012, 08:46:30 AM »

nice, always good to hear about skaters that are taking care of business. i recently worked as an architect on a project for this trading software: http://activetrader.schwab.com/trading-tools/software-trading/overview.aspx?src=nmk&sv1=sSXdR7Gz4&sv2=7272437948&sv3=xpxe4op6q0. culture was sick at schlob the nob but that was the austin office. not sure about outside of austin.

Citizen on Patron

• Rep: -11
« Reply #413 on: June 14, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
Still fucking unemployed... I live in one of those areas. 20,000 people within 20 miles that need jobs at my "level" of experience... sucks ass. Never thought I'd be saying yay for school but YAY FOR SCHOOL! I'd love to be a novel writer but... well you know  ::)

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #414 on: June 16, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nice, always good to hear about skaters that are taking care of business. i recently worked as an architect on a project for this trading software: http://activetrader.schwab.com/trading-tools/software-trading/overview.aspx?src=nmk&sv1=sSXdR7Gz4&sv2=7272437948&sv3=xpxe4op6q0. culture was sick at schlob the nob but that was the austin office. not sure about outside of austin.

I was out last night with a friend who is an architect (the building kind) and she started going off about how she can't stand it when IT workers refer to themselves as architects.  I really don't care, but this post was very timely and reminded me of it. 

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #415 on: June 16, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was out last night with a friend who is an architect (the building kind) and she started going off about how she can't stand it when IT workers refer to themselves as architects.  I really don't care, but this post was very timely and reminded me of it. 
As the building kind I can honestly say that I don't really care. But there are some in the office who are just total dicks about it.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #416 on: June 17, 2012, 12:00:30 AM »
After about 2 years barely scraping by doing freelance work for a bullshit women's jewelry company, I got hired a week and a half ago as a graphic designer making ads for the app company that does iMob, Original Gangstas, etc. The company is only 4 years old, started with 3 people in an apartment, expanded to 20 people last year and are currently staffed at about 80. Right now they only make free text based MMOs but they have aspirations to become a full fledged video game company and are currently producing an iPhone strategy based medieval MMO you can play with anyone in the world over 19 languages with instant translation, (a feature that currently doesn't exist anywhere else.)

I got my BA in 09 and they're paying me more than most graphic designers with 10+ years of experience in the field make. They give me a ridiculous amount of creative control and I can come into work anytime as long as I put in a full 8 hours. I'm only on a 3-month contract right now but they usually don't hire without the intent to make someone full-time.

To top it all off, every month they have a company party with free beer and food. This party already happened after my third day of work where I found out 2 of the 3 founders of the company skate! My boss used to skate with Jose Rojo as a teenager and the CEO started in 93, first video he saw was Virtual Reality, at one point in his life could switch hardflip front nose, and the dude he is currently most psyched on is Torey Pudwill, (I gave him shit about his crazy arms/weird tricks but couldn't deny how good he is.)

So in other words, I've had a pretty fucking good couple of weeks.  :D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:05:12 AM by Clayton »

trannies and mannies

« Reply #417 on: June 17, 2012, 12:15:50 AM »
^That sounds like a great job.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #418 on: June 21, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
where all my grocery store cashies at?
[close]
I actually just got off the phone for a grocery position. It was pretty awkward and I had to really strain to pull answers out of my ass for all their "recall a time when you..." questions.

I might have fucked up though - I listed a friend of mine who was a cashier manager at a farmer's market in Atlanta as a reference and they got the idea that I had worked there or something and started to ask me about my experiences there, I panicked and went along with it and told the lady some vague bullshit.

They're going to call me to schedule a live interview pretty soon, I've never worked retail or dealt with customers in my life. I'm just going to go in this like I've got nothing to lose I guess
[close]

Most groceries around here, at least the big ones, drug test all employees and will fire your pot failing ass. Be warned
[close]

As in, they drug test cashiers and stockboys? Fuck, I feel bad for the ones that aren't high.

How I got an internship doing DoD work without a drug test is beyond me. Seems like the trick to not getting tested is to work for a small company and/or to do research.

The dreaded "can you recall..." interview. Had to recently do this one in front of 7 people with clipboards asking shit like, "tell me a time when you failed something, then learned from your mistakes." Refinery jobs are incredibly hard to get into without a degree or knowing someone high up. Anyone working in a plant or refinery?

As far as grocery store jobs, I worked at one for about a year and a half in high school. It wasn't that bad. Pretty easy work. I didn't think stores outside of walmart drug tested, but good luck mang.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #419 on: June 22, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
Had my first shift in the warehouse at ikea last night. It was fine.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.