Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 141639 times)

Lance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jobs
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »
Skate Shop Owner.  I also bartend 3-4 nights a week.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2012, 08:12:40 AM »
Skate Shop Owner.?  I also bartend 3-4 nights a week.

Which?

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »
Any plumbers in the house?

I've been browsing community college programs again, and plumbing stands out as one of the best paying and stable trades to get into.  Plus it's only one year and wouldn't require me to upgrade any high school classes.  Aside from unpleasant odors and messes.. are there any other downsides?  
I trained to be a plumber last year.

I assume you are in the US and things probably work differently over there. I'm in the UK and I'm finding it impossible to get into. For the few jobs that open up, they always expect you to have alot of previous experience. And no one will give you the time to get this experience.

Also over here a large amount of plumbing jobs in houses involve working on gas powered central heating systems. And you need to get a separate qualification to do that.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skate Shop Owner.?? ? I also bartend 3-4 nights a week.
[close]

Which?
[close]

I wonder if his signature will give the answer away?!

;) :D

Ya I supposed I could've looked there. :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:01:32 AM by chockfullofthat »

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #334 on: March 13, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
To the guy looking into plumbing:

I took the commercial/residential electrician program last year at a local community college.  Very similar to the plumbing program, you complete the program with a degree and then you must work under someone for x-amount of hours and take certain before achieving your license.  I went on to a larger university to continue school, and several of my electrician classmates are having hard times finding jobs.

The truth is the construction jobs are at a low right now, but the programs are definitely a great place to look into.  I'd encourage you to do plumbing & heating!  Also get a union job, that means you'll have to do some waiting after you complete the program but you won't regret it!
For Your Health

oneshovel

« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2012, 12:22:15 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys!  I know construction is slow in a lot of places right now, but in my city it seems condos and apts are popping up everywhere.  Plus, I've been told most new guys are only into construction plumbing, leaving more openings for repairs and residential or whatever.  I could see it would be easier to get into with knowledge in heating and other skills, but the courses here might touch on that too. 

Only problem is I should've looked into it months ago, as most colleges are full for September.  I'll keep looking though.. And would it be wise to get books now and start studying?  Or would that mess with me when I go to an actual school?

Wall of Nausea

• Rep: -60
« Reply #336 on: March 13, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys!  I know construction is slow in a lot of places right now, but in my city it seems condos and apts are popping up everywhere.  Plus, I've been told most new guys are only into construction plumbing, leaving more openings for repairs and residential or whatever.  I could see it would be easier to get into with knowledge in heating and other skills, but the courses here might touch on that too.  

Only problem is I should've looked into it months ago, as most colleges are full for September.  I'll keep looking though.. And would it be wise to get books now and start studying?  Or would that mess with me when I go to an actual school?

Go to the library and start teaching yourself basic info. With that, spend some time following/helping a crew/company small or big. Volunteer it (if you got some extra time) just to see and get a hands on approach. Through doing that and bullshitting, even unpaid can always pay off later. Just diversify your hustle and think of multiple approaches, even if they aren't as savvy to the mind at the minute. Consider it networking. Bug people, if you bug enough someone is bound to see that drive and take a notice. From there you can build if need be. Good luck. I've been thinking the trade route myself, an it's and honorable gig (which ever you choose), that's under appreciated. The world doesn't need a another communications or business major.

PS. If you ever think about becoming an expat or living in another country, check out what jobs are needed, and skilled tradesmen are usually in their top listings or at least mentioned regarding citizenship. If that's a route that proves to be interesting to you.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:49:32 PM by Wall of Nausea »

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
Kitchen and Bath department supervisor at The Home Depot. I recently received a 40 cent raise. 

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #338 on: March 13, 2012, 08:16:38 PM »
I make money as a freelance assistant for artists and commercial photographers. 
This past Sunday I worked a shoot at Coney Island; the subject was last year's winner of Survivor.

GISM

• Rep: 25
  • pariah
« Reply #339 on: March 13, 2012, 09:10:29 PM »
Working in a group home. Lot of downtime and privacy to do my own thing. Stoked that my boss gave me the days off I wanted. Downsides are I'm basically alone all day and there's no where to move up unless I want to work in the main office under flourescent lighting.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #340 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys!  I know construction is slow in a lot of places right now, but in my city it seems condos and apts are popping up everywhere.  Plus, I've been told most new guys are only into construction plumbing, leaving more openings for repairs and residential or whatever.  I could see it would be easier to get into with knowledge in heating and other skills, but the courses here might touch on that too. 

Only problem is I should've looked into it months ago, as most colleges are full for September.  I'll keep looking though.. And would it be wise to get books now and start studying?  Or would that mess with me when I go to an actual school?

What me and many others did in our electrical program was try to get a job working for a local electrcian (plumber in your case).

They had us doing shit jobs working for shit wages, but you learn a lot about modern building code and the on-field experience is something a class can't teach you.

And if you're going to do plumbing, I highly recommend you to heating/air as well, businesses love that!
For Your Health

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #341 on: March 14, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »
The world doesn't need a another communications or business major.

Truer words never spoken, although a business major from the right school does mean you're paid for life. What the fuck do communications majors even do?
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #342 on: March 14, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Truer words never spoken, although a business major from the right school does mean you're paid for life. What the fuck do communications majors even do?

post on Slap.
@idealhandmades

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #343 on: April 07, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
we have any cops on the forum ?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »
I think that Ronald Wilson Reagan is really a cop. Ex military cop to boot.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »
^hahahaha

right now i'm doing social media/online ads/blogs/a little bit of graphic design and after effects, unfortunately all related to condo real estate. I've been forced to learn a lot since the company is quite disorganized and i have been given a few chances to make things to put on my after effects reel, plus my boss is flexible with hours and its pretty easy to lurk slap, so thats all good. But shit, is it ever boring. condos are pretty fucking wack in my opinion and the majority of the people you're forced to deal with in that area reflect that. thankfully most of the people at my actual are office are cool

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: April 09, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »
Expand Quote
I feel really conflicted about my job right now.?  I work for a really small management/tech consulting firm (4 partners/14 people total).?  It pays well, hours aren't bad, travel a bunch (which can be good or bad, biz travel isn't the same as vacation and someties we go to shitty cities), partners are pretty cool.? 

The downside is that our work is usually in a really niche industry and I'm not getting exposed to different things.?  Also they aren't trying to grow (they're all rich and happy as the company is), so that means no promotions (you either own the company or you don't), although we do get a flat 5% raise every year plush good 401k matching.? 

I'm not sure if I should roll the dice on something new that may suck or just stay put and be happy I've got a job.? 
[close]

if it was me...

if you are planning to a career as a consultant then i'd strongly recomend building your personal brand.

- you are working at a company that doesn't have a sustainable business model and here is why.

you work at a company that is needs talented tech employees as it's a consulting company but the company isn't growing. talented tech employees can grow else where and so some will leave. of course there will the be loyal people who stay but for the most part anyone who is aggresively keeping up and innovating will eventually leave as their growth vector gets steeper while the company remains flat and the gap between their salary and market value increases. this will create problems for your company as the business model will require a shift to getting new talent but they will be hessitant to pay at market and if they do then  that will mean reduced margins (aka less cash for them). without growth and being in an industry with virtually no fixed cost as your cost of goods sold is mostly high end labor you have to grow to be sustainable.

- while you have a cushy comfortable job plot your next move

take advantage of this foresight into the future problems your company will face to plan your next move. your an IT guy who by the sounds of it has a cushy 40 hour week schedule and travels to lame places giving you lots of idle time in airports, plains, motels. put in an extra 10 hours a week on continuous improvement in a way that brands you as a consultant. start a blog, join or start an opensource, hustle some talking sessions at local conferences, post content to other reputable blogs (code project, ect...), get high status on tech forums (MSDN, stackoverflow, etc...), contact publishers and volunteer to tech review books for free... anything you can do that will give you a resume bullet and allow you to say why in a room of 10 people with the same core skill you should get paid more and have more responsiblity.

- find a new job

then once you've built it up, look for another job while you still have your current job. and the most important part is to do your research, figure out what the top market rates are and then lie. say you make the top rate at your current job as they can't check. after having built up your brand with the things mentioned above they will believe you and they never check after the fact (and if they are going to they have to get your approval to do so before they hire you in writing so you will know).  this approach is just like a degree once you build it up, as long as you can handle the work you are good to go, no one is going to care if you have a degree after your first professional job as you know have "equivelent experience."

don't get locked in with a company that has an unsustainable business model. when push comes to shuv it'll be your income, not theirs, that suffers. and if you are going to be a consultant then build your own brand in your free time to pump up your rates. you'd be suprised at how much more you can get than your coworkers by doing this.

Their biz model is super sustainable.  They've had the company for 22 years.  The reason they aren't growing is because they don't want to.  They get enough work, make good cash and don't have to work the long hours of a top consulting firm.  The four partners are heavyweights in our industry (aerospace/aviation).  Two came from a big aerospace co. and two came from a huge mgt. consulting firm.

I don't work in IT consulting, mainly restructuring and strategic panning relating to product development.  I went undergrad engineering, MS in EE from a state school, and MBA from a top 15-20ish school.  We have a couple guys we use if we need web/app development or need to tell a client what IT assets they should think about.

They treat us really good.  Kind of like a family vibe because they hate dealing with HR stuff, so they want us to stick around.  The only way I would have made more after biz school would have been finance, oil, or a big consulting firm.  They've hinted that myself and 2-3 other guys could possibly take over in 10 years or so. 

My only hesitance is that I'm not super into the industry.  I used to get to work on projects in a bunch of different arenas.  Either way, it's awesome to have a job.  Good luck to everyone else in this thread.  It's tough out there.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #347 on: April 09, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »
Architect, just your standard house/office/building job, except I work for an awesome firm doing primarily modern design and sustainable work. I'm not as experienced as the other people I work with but it's still pretty nice, I get a lot of input and its a good learning environment.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #348 on: April 09, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »
Alright, I went back to school last year, after working in youth group homes for 5 years. I'll be done with the degree in May. I'm looking for some positions in grad school for next year, but otherwise have no idea what to do. The degree is in English and for an undergrad my CV is looking strong.

I don't want to work in a public school, which I think, with my experience supervising homes of at risk youth, a degree, and being a little older might be a viable option.

I was offered a job teaching English at a Panassastra University in Cambodia but I'm unsure if I have the nerve to head there for a year.

US forest service jobs might be a great way to work hard for a year or two as well.

I'll do well and do what I want, but, fuck, I do not want to start working 2nd shift again.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #349 on: April 09, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »
Unemployed. Have a degree and office drone work exp. Trying to get regular admin job anywhere cuz I have no interests or aspirations in life besides skateboarding and playing guitar. Burnin' thru savings on rent. Just want enough to pay the bills without having to do too much of anything. Ideally seeking a favorable disparity between the amount of money I receive for the amount of work that I do. I also do freelance writing jobs for what amounts to less than half of my monthly beer intake.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2012, 03:44:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not necessarily.  When people think of business majors, they typically think of Patrick Bateman Wall St. assholes, but business actually teaches a lot of life skills many college graduates lack.  Before you get into your concentration you have to take the basics in everything.

Accounting- Teaches you how to manage your income/expenditures/savings.  Many young people are very bad at this.

Economics- Micro is all about how to get the most bang for your buck, "Utility."  Macro is all about how the world economy works- Individuals, corporations, small businesses, governments, various regulations all together living the dream.

Marketing- How to sell yourself or your product.

Management- How to plan your life.  Tons of stuff about how to start a business, working with customers and suppliers.  Budgeting to make a profit.  This can work for business or personal settings. 

Obviously if you are super passionate about something, like art or history, then you should major in it, but business from a decent university is a great platform to develop life skills. 

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2012, 04:48:14 AM »
i finally got taken off the hell project at my work, had two weeks of chill time and just started my new project. the company that i'm at does "predictive analysis" for the medical industry and the environment is awesome. they have completely renovated the place and it looks like some kind of upscale design boutique on the inside. the environment is really laid back and there are guys walking around in shorts and flip flops. they keep beer in the fridges that apparently it gets drank on fridays at around 3. it's about 2 miles from home and they have a gym that's free to use and it's located right next to a lake with jogging trails and a park that my kids can play in. plus i had my first architecture discussion yesterday and it seems like i'm back in the big fish in a small pond situation when it comes to my resume skills which after my last project suites me fine. it's usually nice to have stronger people to learn from but on my last project the stronger people were kind of dicks about it so i learned what i needed from them and then walked out that place with my nuts in my hand stevie style.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #352 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28:27 AM »
Congrats on the new digs Sleaz. Sounds like it's about perfect for you aside from waiting until Friday to drink at work.

Skate Shop Owner.  I also bartend 3-4 nights a week.
Just now realized that I've actually probably skated with you a few times. I used to go to Albany to skate after my shop went out. That place was/is fucking awesome.

Fairy Boy

• Rep: 6
« Reply #353 on: April 10, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not necessarily.  When people think of business majors, they typically think of Patrick Bateman Wall St. assholes, but business actually teaches a lot of life skills many college graduates lack.  Before you get into your concentration you have to take the basics in everything.

Accounting- Teaches you how to manage your income/expenditures/savings.  Many young people are very bad at this.

Economics- Micro is all about how to get the most bang for your buck, "Utility."  Macro is all about how the world economy works- Individuals, corporations, small businesses, governments, various regulations all together living the dream.

Management- How to plan your life.  Tons of stuff about how to start a business, working with customers and suppliers.  Budgeting to make a profit.  This can work for business or personal settings. 

Obviously if you are super passionate about something, like art or history, then you should major in it, but business from a decent university is a great platform to develop life skills. 

From a non-biz major perspective, I see a huge disparity between two different types of biz majors: Those in a top 20ish school, and everyone else. The Patrick Bateman-types would be the first group.

At my not-top-20 engineering school, the business majors are either sports players on scholarship or prior engineers who couldn't pass Calc2. These kids aren't going anywhere except through connections made elsewhere or through parents. One of my roommates is a marketing major, as are several other close friends, and I can attest that the entirety of the curriculum is a joke. The actual business classes are total bullshit and undergraduate econ is just algebra dressed up in other notation. Accounting is probably the most useful, but is only difficult in how boring and tedious it is.

My friends at U-of-M, with their esteemed business school cannot comprehend this, but I think my school is more the norm than the exception when it comes to usefulness of a business degree.

Then again, perhaps the foot-in-the-door any diploma provides is good enough for many.
She takes it in the butt a lot now though so I suppose everything worked out.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

From a non-biz major perspective, I see a huge disparity between two different types of biz majors: Those in a top 20ish school, and everyone else. The Patrick Bateman-types would be the first group.

At my not-top-20 engineering school, the business majors are either sports players on scholarship or prior engineers who couldn't pass Calc2. These kids aren't going anywhere except through connections made elsewhere or through parents. One of my roommates is a marketing major, as are several other close friends, and I can attest that the entirety of the curriculum is a joke. The actual business classes are total bullshit and undergraduate econ is just algebra dressed up in other notation. Accounting is probably the most useful, but is only difficult in how boring and tedious it is.

My friends at U-of-M, with their esteemed business school cannot comprehend this, but I think my school is more the norm than the exception when it comes to usefulness of a business degree.

Then again, perhaps the foot-in-the-door any diploma provides is good enough for many.

I went undergrad EE, but went to a school with a top 30 business undergrad.  I took some electives in that school and their were a lot of bright people there.  Econ is not really about the math.  It's more about relations and how the world economic system works.  Sounds like your school's business department is pretty crappy.  I ended up getting an MBA from a decent school.  My class was a mix of people who really wanted to learn and people who's company paid for it and expected them to go.  Of course there was overlap between the two. 

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »
they have completely renovated the place and it looks like some kind of upscale design boutique on the inside. the environment is really laid back and there are guys walking around in shorts and flip flops. they keep beer in the fridges that apparently it gets drank on fridays at around 3. it's about 2 miles from home and they have a gym that's free to use and it's located right next to a lake with jogging trails and a park that my kids can play in.
sounds like Globex in Cypress Creek... by any chance, is this your boss?
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #356 on: May 01, 2012, 11:53:40 AM »
Any of you guys ever work as a package handler for like UPS/FedEx? I'm thinking about it, part time/throw-away beer money type of job. 4AM up to 9AM doesn't seem too bad. Does it really suck? I spent last summer grinding it out at a factory so I know a thing or two about menial repetitious work in hot conditions. 

PTDK

• Rep: 29
« Reply #357 on: May 01, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
Any of you guys ever work as a package handler for like UPS/FedEx? I'm thinking about it, part time/throw-away beer money type of job. 4AM up to 9AM doesn't seem too bad. Does it really suck? I spent last summer grinding it out at a factory so I know a thing or two about menial repetitious work in hot conditions. 

My dad has been a Fed Ex courier for 25 years and fucking loves it. He was a handler for a bit and enjoyed that too. I believe you have to work 2 years before you can become a driver, but I would recommend it based off never hearing anything negative about my dads job. Not great money, but not bad either.
For a European who has never been to Walmart...is Walmart really like this? Like place where blacks hang out and act all weird?

Just curious.

Buddha

• Rep: -205
« Reply #358 on: May 07, 2012, 01:36:16 AM »
^I just finished working for a student storage company doing moving/courier type work and I agree with your pops, its amazing being on the road by yourself, enjoying the sun, meeting new people and what not.   

Jejenhausen

• Rep: -72
  • This is good news
« Reply #359 on: May 07, 2012, 02:09:35 AM »
I'm working two very different jobs right now.

mainly there's your typical core skate shop gig. Talking to the local homies, and vibing the kooks, all the while just selling stuff to the public that finds their way in.

The other is just restocking vending machines in a major hospital,  its easy and mindless, just rock up late at night when I want, headphones in and trundle around the place.

I do feel like im getting a little bit old (21) to be doing this kinda stuff, gotta look into gettin into more serious work or university next year