Author Topic: Please educate me...  (Read 1066 times)

Doctor Handsome

Please educate me...
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »
On savings bonds. I've read on multiple websites, but I still don't understand them fully. I need layman's terms. Particularly about EE bonds. What's the difference between them and a plain savings account? Can you put money into the bond whenever you'd like? There's probably a better forum to ask this question on.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Please educate me...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:28:22 PM »
I don't know specifics, but I know the difference between a bond and a savings account is pretty much access. With a bond, you put it all in at once, and you have to wait a certain amount of time for it to "mature" and usually, like with a US bond at least, you cash it all in at once. Savings account is just a bank account where your money gains a small amount of interest. Bonds tend to have higher interest rates.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

BriDen

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
I won a $50 savings bond for a painting I did in 8th grade. Only 20 more years till I get to cash it in.

Doctor Handsome

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »
I don't know specifics, but I know the difference between a bond and a savings account is pretty much access. With a bond, you put it all in at once, and you have to wait a certain amount of time for it to "mature" and usually, like with a US bond at least, you cash it all in at once. Savings account is just a bank account where your money gains a small amount of interest. Bonds tend to have higher interest rates.

The EE bonds only have a 1.2% interest rate or something like that. Can you put money into a bond periodically? Or do you buy it and just sit on that amount and wait?

James Joyce

• Rep: 46
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 02:02:58 AM »
My explanation enclosed is very laymen so please forgive me for any misinformation.

Govt. saving bonds are effectively capital you're investing onto the state for a given length of time,i,e. a bit like buying shares in the government. The security/theory of it being that since the receipiant of the capital (whom are supposedly fiscally responsible as bounded by legislation) you are guaranteed a return on it albeit at a smaller interest rate compared to commercial banks who invest in commercial entities who yield higher returns but are inherently less than secure.

A wiser place to put your bond money would be to the IMF or International Monetary Fund since you have the security of a number of member states backing your investment. Though the interest rates on return is very marginal, it's a very very safe place to invest.
they're a whole gang of rag tag scalliwag's, but helga in the back is definitely in it for the strudels

Paper Crane

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 02:07:56 AM »

give your duckets to these guys.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 02:49:37 AM »
The basics can be found here:

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4689652_ee-bonds-work.html

Now isn't a great time to invest in EE Bonds, as interest rates are unusually low and 1.2% is shit. To put that in context, the Coca Cola Co. has just released a bond guaranteeing something like a 5% interest rate.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:55:06 AM »
Go with a no load S&P 500 Index fund.  Your return will be better. 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »

Second'd.

???

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Second'd.

Is this amway?