Author Topic: Cons X Thrasher product line  (Read 17240 times)

The Upside of Down

Re: Cons X Thrasher product line
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »
Thrasher is paid to advertise Nike, Converse, and Adidas on a monthly basis.

Lowcard throws an Adidas ad on the back of every issue.

They're magazines.

They want to sell copies of the Prevent This Tragedy DVD (which was probably given that title in order to sell old boxes of Prevent This Tragedy shirts that weren't selling anyway), and Converse probably offered this to them.  I'd be more pissed about them collaborating with CCS, personally.
[/b]

Why?  CCS sells skateboards and skateboard shoes.  They have been involved with sponsoring skaters longer than Converse has, whether or not they are cheesy.   They have been in the business of providing those who want to skateboard with the tools to do so, just as Nike, Converse, and Adidas have been providing people with shoes to skateboard in.  (However minus Adidas and their love for Gonz, these shoe companies have not done a damn thing for skateboarding or providing skaters with a living until the past 5-8 years.  Which is why a lot of people have a problem with them entering the skateboard world, they just saw an opportunity to suck the life out of the companies who were built upon skateboarding and leave them with nothing.)  

I also think a lot of you are fooled into thinking that the skaters who skate for Nike, Converse and Adidas are making a lot more money than those who skate for the "skate" shoe companies.  They don't, unless you are P-Rod, Janoski, Salazar, Busenitz and maybe a couple of others.  However, where were they in the 80's, 90's and early 00's?  They could have been helping out, but they weren't.  Just b/c people skated in them in the past, does not mean the companies gave a shit about helping skateboarding grow and provide legitimacy to the sport/activity/art.  

I used to skate in SB's and then realized they were no better than any other skate shoe company (someone try and prove me otherwise with a legitimate comparison) and so I quit buying them.

Skateboarding is dying, and it isn't due to Nike, Adidas, and Converse...it is just pretty stale and lame, but fun for me so I continue doing it.

Beer Wizard

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2009, 04:47:43 PM »
Expand Quote

They're magazines.

They want to sell copies of the Prevent This Tragedy DVD (which was probably given that title in order to sell old boxes of Prevent This Tragedy shirts that weren't selling anyway), and Converse probably offered this to them.  I'd be more pissed about them collaborating with CCS, personally.
[close]
[/b]

Why?  CCS sells skateboards and skateboard shoes.  They have been involved with sponsoring skaters longer than Converse has, whether or not they are cheesy.   They have been in the business of providing those who want to skateboard with the tools to do so, just as Nike, Converse, and Adidas have been providing people with shoes to skateboard in.  (However minus Adidas and their love for Gonz, these shoe companies have not done a damn thing for skateboarding or providing skaters with a living until the past 5-8 years.  Which is why a lot of people have a problem with them entering the skateboard world, they just saw an opportunity to suck the life out of the companies who were built upon skateboarding and leave them with nothing.)  

I also think a lot of you are fooled into thinking that the skaters who skate for Nike, Converse and Adidas are making a lot more money than those who skate for the "skate" shoe companies.  They don't, unless you are P-Rod, Janoski, Salazar, Busenitz and maybe a couple of others.  However, where were they in the 80's, 90's and early 00's?  They could have been helping out, but they weren't.  Just b/c people skated in them in the past, does not mean the companies gave a shit about helping skateboarding grow and provide legitimacy to the sport/activity/art.  

I used to skate in SB's and then realized they were no better than any other skate shoe company (someone try and prove me otherwise with a legitimate comparison) and so I quit buying them.

Skateboarding is dying, and it isn't due to Nike, Adidas, and Converse...it is just pretty stale and lame, but fun for me so I continue doing it.

CCS was bought by Footlocker.

The Upside of Down

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

They're magazines.

[close]
[/b]

[close]
CCS was bought by Footlocker.

I know, I was just stating that to show that there is not any difference, except that one is a manufacturer and one is a retailer.  I actually like CCS a little better b/c they have provided a why for those without a local shop to buy product and have allowed skateboard companies to sell their products to areas where they would otherwise never reach.  I also dislike them b/c of the idiots that buy from them instead of going to their local skateshop, not sure whose fault that is.

krewkruxklan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
in the end "core" brands don't give a fuck about us, its all business.
every bro and their mother wears lakai's and whatever else; niggas in my hood have more vans than i do.
in our consumerist society, before we're skateboarders, we're consumers. its been like that for centuries and as long as we put up with it we'll see blazers and chucks in skateboarding and era's and authentics in the malls.

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

The Upside of Down

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2009, 05:05:32 PM »
every bro and their mother wears lakai's and whatever else; niggas in my hood have more vans than i do.
in our consumerist society, before we're skateboarders, we're consumers. its been like that for centuries and as long as we put up with it we'll see blazers and chucks in skateboarding and era's and authentics in the malls.

Maybe,  but if skating were to die today, it would really be no sweat off of Nike, Adidas and Converse's backs.  They have every other mainstream sport to fall back on, but the "Core" companies would disappear in an instant.  Nike, Adidas, and Converse would then have everyone buying their Blazers, Chucks, and Campus' from your athletic shoe store b/c that is all that would be left for you to choose.  It is like Wal-Mart and Home Depot replacing the smaller stores and putting them out of business leaving you with a one stop shop for your needs.  I understand that they are brilliant business minded companies like Nike, Converse, and Adidas, but it will suck when it actually does happen.

Where in the hell do you live where every bro and their mother wears Lakai, seriously.

Beer Wizard

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2009, 05:30:22 PM »

Which is why we shouldn't put up with it.  I'll never support that shit.  People need to start thinking about where their money goes, at least in the skateboarding industry if they care about skateboarding.  If you truly love the essence of skateboarding you should support brands owned by those with the same sentiment.  Once you try to make a living off of doing what you love, you'll see how corrupt it is that some cliche man in a suit is trying to cash in off of your passion.  Half the people who read this will be like "fuck this kook I like how nikes look and shit."  But I guarantee you those same people will eventually quit skating.

This new age of mainstream skaters is so god damned concerned about looking hip, which is probably why they started skating in the first place. 

TapLuxiferfet

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »
Who gives a fuck if it's core or not? If you like the logo, it fits well, and skates good, then fucking use it.

Beer Wizard

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2009, 05:34:37 PM »
Who gives a fuck if it's core or not? If you like the logo, it fits well, and skates good, then fucking use it.
Point proven?

TapLuxiferfet

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »
People need to start thinking about where their money goes, at least in the skateboarding industry if they care about skateboarding.  If you truly love the essence of skateboarding you should support brands owned by those with the same sentiment.

First of all some say a lot of our money goes to black ops secret government so fuck off with care where your money goes. My money goes on my feet.

The essence of skateboarding? What "core" companies support the essence of skateboarding? We talk about "their" videos all the time. We talk about "their" ads all the time. Are "they" not detracting from the essence of skateboarding? My favorite fucking company growing up doesn't even do any of their videos or ads the same, "they" fucking suck. The skaters who skate for "them" are cool. But, the only essence "they" represent is what? COTG, I'm borrowing your word, but fagotry. Core companies need to step it up, and be fucking "CORE".

The Upside of Down

« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2009, 05:52:49 PM »

I mean if it comes down to it, why should I buy a skateboard that is $50 and from Anti-Hero and not a blank that I can get for $10-15?  I mean they are both gonna eventually break, have almost identical shapes, and one isn't going to make me a better skater.   The whole idea of Anti-Hero, Zero, Krooked, Slave, DGK, etc... are just a core image that someone thought up to help sell boards, just like skateboard shoes and clothes.  To those of you who buy a Deluxe board but skate Nike, Converse, or Adidas are just as much of a sucker as the guy who buys Emerica's, Es', Lakai, Vans thinking they are being core skateboarders, in the end we have all been fooled by marketing and should be skating blanks, Keds, generic trucks, blank wheels and random bearings.  However some of us like having skateboarding being supported by an industry that gives back to those who produce footage and get us hyped even more to go out and skate.  If it weren't for these "skate" companies your favorite skaters would have never had a chance to inspire you without having to have 1,2, or 3 jobs to make ends meet.  They took us to where we are.

p.s. the economy hasn't helped this very much either.

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2009, 05:52:59 PM »

Where in the hell do you live where every bro and their mother wears Lakai, seriously.
must be a canadian thing. 75% of the canadain population are snowboarders, and its well known that snowboarders been jockin our style since genesis.
thses statistics prove that 75% of canada wears skatebrands.

Which is why we shouldn't put up with it.  I'll never support that shit.  People need to start thinking about where their money goes, at least in the skateboarding industry if they care about skateboarding.  If you truly love the essence of skateboarding you should support brands owned by those with the same sentiment.  Once you try to make a living off of doing what you love, you'll see how corrupt it is that some cliche man in a suit is trying to cash in off of your passion.  Half the people who read this will be like "fuck this kook I like how nikes look and shit."  But I guarantee you those same people will eventually quit skating.

This new age of mainstream skaters is so god damned concerned about looking hip, which is probably why they started skating in the first place.  
i agree with much of what you say. but as skateboarding gets older, it seems as if fewer and fewer skatebrands are focusing soley on skaters. although their original intentions were to make shoes for skaters, by skaters; its apparent that their looking for more profitable routes. the man in the suit is slowly running the entire industry, if he isn't already.

i honestly think this issue goes beyond skateboarding itself. it has a lot to do with capitalism and profitability and all of that shit.

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

The Upside of Down

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2009, 06:00:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
must be a canadian thing. 75% of the canadain population are snowboarders, and its well known that snowboarders been jockin our style since genesis.
thses statistics prove that 75% of canada wears skatebrands.

Expand Quote

Which is why we shouldn't put up with it.  I'll never support that shit.  People need to start thinking about where their money goes, at least in the skateboarding industry if they care about skateboarding.  If you truly love the essence of skateboarding you should support brands owned by those with the same sentiment.  Once you try to make a living off of doing what you love, you'll see how corrupt it is that some cliche man in a suit is trying to cash in off of your passion.  Half the people who read this will be like "fuck this kook I like how nikes look and shit."  But I guarantee you those same people will eventually quit skating.

[close]
i agree with much of what you say. but as skateboarding gets older, it seems as if fewer and fewer skatebrands are focusing soley on skaters. although their original intentions were to make shoes for skaters, by skaters; its apparent that their looking for more profitable routes. the man in the suit is slowly running the entire industry, if he isn't already.

i honestly think this issue goes beyond skateboarding itself. it has a lot to do with capitalism and profitability and all of that shit.

Agreed... I don't like it, but I understand why it is, I mean this industry was built around selling a product to one of the poorest demographics out there and in times like these it is either sink or swim and that is why a lot of them are having to adapt in different ways they never imagined.

Who knows what will happen, I can see the skateshop, skateshoe, and the core skateboard companies dying here in the next few years and once it is gone, it's gone.  I don't know why sporting goods stores haven't jumped on this yet and realized they don't need core skateboard companies to have a core skateshop within their stores, I mean look at the "regular shoes that double as skate shoes" thread and notice that it wouldn't take much for them to tap into that market and run wild.  Getting hardgoods is easy and selling decent blanks with a rip-off thunder or indy with blanks would go along with their shoe selection.  Maybe I should approach one of them with the idea and cash in while I can...

Beer Wizard

« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
Expand Quote
People need to start thinking about where their money goes, at least in the skateboarding industry if they care about skateboarding.  If you truly love the essence of skateboarding you should support brands owned by those with the same sentiment.
[close]

First of all some say a lot of our money goes to black ops secret government so fuck off with care where your money goes. My money goes on my feet.

The essence of skateboarding? What "core" companies support the essence of skateboarding? We talk about "their" videos all the time. We talk about "their" ads all the time. Are "they" not detracting from the essence of skateboarding? My favorite fucking company growing up doesn't even do any of their videos or ads the same, "they" fucking suck. The skaters who skate for "them" are cool. But, the only essence "they" represent is what? COTG, I'm borrowing your word, but fagotry. Core companies need to step it up, and be fucking "CORE".

I'd say Low Card, Blood Wizard, 5boro, Vox, etc... And lots of local "core" shops, are doing their best to support the essence of skateboarding.  From making DIY spots to hosting "legit" skater-organized events, to trying to making sure the youth knows the history of skateboarding.  These brands are owned and operated by people who actually care about skateboarding.  Again I wouldn't expect some of you hipsters and/or "posers" to know who are the brands doing stuff for skateboarding if you aren't out actively engaging in your local skateboarding scene.  You wouldn't be able to appreciate the convenience of having a DIY spot within skating distance from your home.

Why are you so defensive?  Well, I guess I'd be sore too if I was letting that giant corporate cock rape me.

TapLuxiferfet

« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »
haha that last little bit made me laugh, I was being so defensive for fun

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »
Someone point out when the last time a major deck/shoe company went out of business, anything having to do with Kris Markovich doesn't count.

Also I feel like most skate companies are doing okay, plus they aren't really depending on the money from board sales, the money comes from the $2 t-shirt that they sell for $20. Take a look at enjoi or Toy Machine, it's all in the shirts.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:24:00 PM by Acrid Avid Jam Shred »

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
I was rudely sent a ccs catalogue once and was offended so much that I refuse to read the last several posts in case someone defended that shit.

RonAllensFather

• Rep: 2
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »

After this and throwing a contest sponsored by a cell phone company can Jake still get all hella aggro and core on those who aren't true skaters?

Nope...and I love it. He's just like everyone else. Corporate money is in his pocket too. Awesome.

J_Rog

« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Vox etc... And lots of local "core" shops, are doing their best to support the essence of skateboarding.
Vox were 88 once upon a time. A joke company wanting a piece of the 'basic' cupsole market with a manufactured punk image. Complete with Dead Boys whining on the soundtrack. I know what's-his-face was being ironic, but I really don't see what is wrong with riding a shop blank in cheap shoes. THAT is the essence of skateboarding.

Someone point out when the last time a major deck/shoe company went out of business, anything having to do with Kris Markovich doesn't count.

Also I feel like most skate companies are doing okay, plus they aren't really depending on the money from board sales, the money comes from the $2 t-shirt that they sell for $20. Take a look at enjoi or Toy Machine, it's all in the shirts.
I still haven't seen any evidence of this harrowing economic crisis. I was hoping it was going to weed out companies I don't like.

Boston.

« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2009, 11:14:13 PM »
i feel quilty gipz. so guilty i'm going to go out a.s.a.p and buy a pair of "corporate company x's"-shoes on friday

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2009, 11:47:30 PM »

They're magazines.

Only color page in the whole thing too. They really play it up and have special ads in lowcard and shit too.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

sirfinbar

• Rep: -3
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2009, 07:49:32 AM »
"I still haven't seen any evidence of this harrowing economic crisis."

must be nice, man.

Tico

• Rep: 5
  • i need teeth
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2009, 08:55:14 AM »
i'm lost. whats the point in being core again?
people like you are the people who ruin skateboarding and slap 2g

Chris Jericho

• Rep: 6
  • Ever........ever.......again!
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2009, 09:00:29 AM »
Core is Poor.

spare change

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2009, 09:20:18 AM »

Rihardslol

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »
Are shoes like adidas, nike really "better" than the ''core'' shoes?
Every shoe has been good for me except vans tnt 2's, they got holes in few days and the sole was shitty too. I don't like the Nike image just because it's so popular between the people who are into all that akon lil wayne let's wear pink shirts thing I don't know how else to call it. I wan't to try some adidas really bad because I really love the design. Their Diagonal video was pretty awesome and their team is awesome so I don't see a reason to hate. They are making shoes for so long and when skateboaridng became so popular they just started making skate shoes too, what's bad about that? Usually I buy shoes in the skateshop what's on sale doesn't matter what brand it is. Don't see how you can laugh at someone wearing different brand shoes, it's just stupid.

J_Rog

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2009, 12:12:40 PM »

must be nice, man.
I'm making silly money at my job at a high street fashion store - work which isn't essential to human survival. People aren't shoe gooing the shoes they have, they are in every second day to see if the new Bruin are in. And then buying brown Busenitz for good measure.

Yes, desperate times, people!

sirfinbar

• Rep: -3
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »
Expand Quote

must be nice, man.
[close]
I'm making silly money at my job at a high street fashion store - work which isn't essential to human survival. People aren't shoe gooing the shoes they have, they are in every second day to see if the new Bruin are in. And then buying brown Busenitz for good measure.

Yes, desperate times, people!

You're right, if a bunch of sneakerheads can continue to buy SB's at your shop, there must be tons of money floating around in "the economy" for everyone to benefit from!

J_Rog

« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2009, 12:52:14 PM »
I fail to see how the economy crashing is a bad thing in the long run. Lazy coasters will have to sink or swim, and industries on their last legs will be given a merciful bullet to the back of the head - cleaning up the marketplace. I haven't seen any hard, or even heard anecdotal evidence of working stiffs being evicted en masse. Or anyone who actually have skills and training unable to find work.   

Tico

• Rep: 5
  • i need teeth
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »
people like you are the people who ruin skateboarding and slap 2g

oreofilling24