Author Topic: Why I stopped shopping at Active...  (Read 8573 times)

MexicanSpaniard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Why I stopped shopping at Active...
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:44 PM »
Expand Quote
i nearly threw up once when i saw a hypebeast wearing emerica hsus (the enjoi collab colorway)

am i the only one that sees people wearing skate shoes and glances to see if they've been skated at all?
[close]

i tend to do that too, I tend to look at people's shoes more than I look at them.... it's a weird tendency I have/ I'm always curious to find other skaters
Hey boys, now you know how I feel when I see a pair of converse, I finally realized why I don't care for them; they make me stare at boys and girls feet.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 07:35:34 PM »
i nearly threw up once when i saw a hypebeast wearing emerica hsus (the enjoi collab colorway)

am i the only one that sees people wearing skate shoes and glances to see if they've been skated at all?
yeah i saw a hype beast wearing an emerica sweatshirt once, and the other day i went into the ghetto corner store down the street from my house and some dude in jordans asked me what shoes i was wearing (reynolds 3s) and told me they were tight. i've seen a few dudes wearing the fallen chukka lows too. non-vans/sb skate shoes are getting popular with the non-skate crowds recently.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yeah i saw a hype beast wearing an emerica sweatshirt once, and the other day i went into the ghetto corner store down the street from my house and some dude in jordans asked me what shoes i was wearing (reynolds 3s) and told me they were tight. i've seen a few dudes wearing the fallen chukka lows too. non-vans/sb skate shoes are getting popular with the non-skate crowds recently.

Oh I definitely do that too.  Sometimes I even get slightly embarrassed wearing new shoes.  I notice some dude checking them out for wear and I'm thinking "Shiiiit...he definitely thinks I don't skate."

TheFreshSC

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 10:03:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Oh I definitely do that too.  Sometimes I even get slightly embarrassed wearing new shoes.  I notice some dude checking them out for wear and I'm thinking "Shiiiit...he definitely thinks I don't skate."

imagine being the only skateboarder at your university and looking at everyone's skate shoes, not to find a single worn-down toe. that's me. i represent the only blown out skateboard shoes on campus

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »
I used to go to Active before I moved to San Francisco. I still go back there when I go home just to look around at the clothes. It's the most convenient shop near my house unless I want to go to Zumiez. I buy some stuff there but not too often because they raised the fuck out of their prices a year or two ago. I remember when a regular skate T was like 15. Now they are all at least 20. I like their decks, though. If I go through mail order, I never buy from there and try to support smaller shops and what not.

If skateboarding wants to support smaller shops what they need to figure out a way to cut wholesale prices for smaller businesses, so the business can offer lower prices to the consumer. It's hard to compete with the internet and mailorder because a lot of times the prices are a lot better and their is a ton of clearance or sales. On the flip side of that, shops need to get a mailorder system going if they want to survive. It might sound like bullshit to most people but this is kind of where the future is. There are a ton of people who shop online for soft good exclusively and this is where a lot of the money rolls in for skateshops.

I don't know. I'm drunk.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

imagine being the only skateboarder at your university and looking at everyone's skate shoes, not to find a single worn-down toe. that's me. i represent the only blown out skateboard shoes on campus

That's regular. I don't know about the majority of people but I used to have a pair of shoes I skated and then a pair of shoes I didn't skate until I got a new pair of shoes. So, I'd never wear fucked up shoes to school unless I skate there that day. Now that I'm older and hardly skate, my "good" shoes outnumber my messed up ones but I still always have a skate shoe ready to go. So unless you see someone riding a skateboard down the street with perfectly new shoes and unscratched deck, you can't really tell if the dude skates or not.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:09:26 PM by Noioso »
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
I used to go to Active before I moved to San Francisco. I still go back there when I go home just to look around at the clothes. It's the most convenient shop near my house unless I want to go to Zumiez. I buy some stuff there but not too often because they raised the fuck out of their prices a year or two ago. I remember when a regular skate T was like 15. Now they are all at least 20. I like their decks, though. If I go through mail order, I never buy from there and try to support smaller shops and what not.

If skateboarding wants to support smaller shops what they need to figure out a way to cut wholesale prices for smaller businesses, so the business can offer lower prices to the consumer. It's hard to compete with the internet and mailorder because a lot of times the prices are a lot better and their is a ton of clearance or sales. On the flip side of that, shops need to get a mailorder system going if they want to survive. It might sound like bullshit to most people but this is kind of where the future is. There are a ton of people who shop online for soft good exclusively and this is where a lot of the money rolls in for skateshops.

I don't know. I'm drunk.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's regular. I don't know about the majority of people but I used to have a pair of shoes I skated and then a pair of shoes I didn't skate until I got a new pair of shoes. So, I'd never wear fucked up shoes to school unless I skate there that day. Now that I'm older and hardly skate, my "good" shoes outnumber my messed up ones but I still always have a skate shoe ready to go. So unless you see someone riding a skateboard down the street with perfectly new shoes and unscratched deck, you can't really tell if the dude skates or not.

I do the same thing.

lazy

• formerly lazy bars
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • A Man is Nothing Without Himself
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do the same thing.

even though I say I look at other people's shoes for thrashed marks, I'm really trying to stray away from wearing my skate shoes all the time because it becomes an eye sore looking at a gaping hole in shoes and having girls think I can't afford new shoes.

popeyesfriedchicken

• Rep: -250
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:32 PM »
all the skate only shops around here always open and then go out of business within three to five years.  i live by a beach so it's mostly combined surf and skate shops that survive.  when i went to high school which is when i skated the most all the popular kids were the rich kids who lived in these huge houses on the water that would act like they were oh so much cooler than everyone else because of what they were born into and that's the vibe i get whenever i go to one of those shops.  there was a shop called seraphim skateboards a long time ago that i liked giving my business to because it wasn't run by some snotty rich guy, it was run by real skaters.  there's a store in the mall that is as close to a skate shop as it gets, and that's the only place i would want to give my business to. 

you would think that people would understand that if you were actually nice and respectful to customers you might sell more stuff.  but acting like some hotshot just because your daddy gives you a 200 dollar a week allowance is a turnoff.  in pensacola we really need a legit skate shop, not these surf/skate shops overrun by wannabe pretty boys. 

aojiru

• Rep: 0
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I do the same thing.
[close]

even though I say I look at other people's shoes for thrashed marks, I'm really trying to stray away from wearing my skate shoes all the time because it becomes an eye sore looking at a gaping hole in shoes and having girls think I can't afford new shoes.

If I'm not skating I'm not wearing the ones I skate in.  However if I see someone kitted out with a board looking the part I expect to see some scuffs on their shoes.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 11:26:12 AM »
BUNCH OF DATING WEBSITE PUSSIES
ONTARIO CANADA

alienlurkshop

• Rep: -31
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 12:55:05 PM »
40% off everything. employee discount. i love active.

mini greek

• Rep: 28
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
It used to be the employee discount was invoice price or cost.  Then it was 50%, now 40%, eventually it'll be 10%.  Fuck Active....
Get litty.....

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »

40% off everything.  Team rider discount.  Actual skateboarders working there.  I love my local shop!!

Fuck Active, Zumiez, West 49 and all the rest of them.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

40% off everything.  Team rider discount.  Actual skateboarders working there.  I love my local shop!!

id pay full price to have/work at a local shop

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I do the same thing.
[close]

if i'm actually skating i put my skate shoes on.
if i'm taking my cruiser to the beer store i put regular shoes on.

thats said, all my regular shoes eventually turn into skate shoes anyway.

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »

if i'm actually skating i put my skate shoes on.
if i'm taking my cruiser to the beer store i put regular shoes on.

thats said, all my regular shoes eventually turn into skate shoes anyway.

exactly. there's a shoe heirarchy and they routinely get demoted from weardom to skatedom after they're broken in enough/my old ones wear through.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »
Great sig

NYCasphaltSurfer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »

Yeah, what video are the oily lingerie girls from?

:o

Great sig

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »
I already asked, as of yet it's unknown but some pron master here better be able to tell us.

tortugaD4YS

• Rep: -1
  • d4ys
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »
guy tried to sell me the same shoes i was already wearing at active..... lucky for me http://www.libertyboardshop.com/liberty/ is only 10 minutes away

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »
the image is coming from here, its teh parent directory
http://www.tittaycitay.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/

and let me tell ya, hes got some hotties up in that piece!
http://www.tittaycitay.com/

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2009, 09:37:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
id pay full price to have/work at a local shop

So would I...and did for a long time.  I think half the reason they started hooking me up was because I was such a loyal customer, not for my unbelievable skateboarding abilities.  The guys who work there could pretty much all kick my ass in SKATE.

Tko788

• Rep: -20
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2009, 09:56:04 PM »
Idk if Active exists on the east coast, but we have maaaaad zumiez. Sometimes 2 in one mall (joking). Even a store in the area started selling boards and shit but maybe 2 people who work there skate. Everytime i see a kid i ask where they got there board from and tell them "Na man. you need to come to the shop i work at. i'll hook you up".

I always tell them i'll give them 10% off anything if they come when i'm workin just cuz I'd rather they support a skateshop where the employees know what it is you're looking for if you're havin trouble deciding on a what shoe/deck etc. to get. What sucks is since we're a new shop, companies dont really wanna open accounts w/ us. So idk. w/e. and even tho i've never bought anything from those places...

fuck active and zumiez.

Tko788

• Rep: -20
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2009, 10:00:04 PM »
And i'm pretty sure if you skate, you automatically look at other ppls feet to:

1) check if they're wearing skate kicks

2) do/did they skate those shoes?

and maybe not this so much, but i'm sure a lot of you think about what stance they are when you see the wear on the shoes.

sage

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2009, 10:01:46 PM »
ive worked at one for 2 years now. yes the company makes horrible decisions, but there are some cool people in the company. im not defending the company, the shops, or the brand, but saying that EVERYONE in the company is lame isnt true. at the end of the day, its a paycheck, and better than working at mcdonalds.

also in my 2 years working there, ive convinced countless kids to buy a toy machine, dlx, dgk, blackbox etc board instead of buying an active deck and some stupid shirt,(kids who claim they cant afford the extra 10-20 bucks to get a company board, have no problem buying a 40 dollar streetwear shirt) so i dont feel guilty for working there.

I'm assuming active is like a west-coast version of Zumiez. If you're anything like every kid I've ever seen who works at a Zumiez, then you're twice the barn I imagined you to be.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »
Expand Quote
ive worked at one for 2 years now. yes the company makes horrible decisions, but there are some cool people in the company. im not defending the company, the shops, or the brand, but saying that EVERYONE in the company is lame isnt true. at the end of the day, its a paycheck, and better than working at mcdonalds.

also in my 2 years working there, ive convinced countless kids to buy a toy machine, dlx, dgk, blackbox etc board instead of buying an active deck and some stupid shirt,(kids who claim they cant afford the extra 10-20 bucks to get a company board, have no problem buying a 40 dollar streetwear shirt) so i dont feel guilty for working there.
[close]

I'm assuming active is like a west-coast version of Zumiez. If you're anything like every kid I've ever seen who works at a Zumiez, then you're twice the barn I imagined you to be.

oh no, zumiez is a coast to coast thing, there are about 3 malls within a 30 mile radius of the shop i work at, and they all have a zumiez.

J_Rog

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2009, 10:54:57 PM »
"I was riding through campus thinking "I'm the only person riding a unicycle! :D", When I should have been thinking "I'm the only person riding a unicycle :("

- saying "no, i'll do my own fucking griptape thank you"
how very 'punk' of you
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:58:28 PM by J_Rog »

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

thats how my school is, im the only sk8er boi. one guy in my accounting class wears some dc's he buys at Famous Footwear, he tries to talk to me about Fantasy factory.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

J_Rog

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive-compulsive_disorder

Why not collect comic books or other tat. There is actually money in that.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

active is more geared to lame 13-30 year olds as opposed to the 16 and under alloverprint colored skinny jean crowd.

and im polar opposite of most of the people who work for the company.