Author Topic: New Bobby Puleo interview...  (Read 19650 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
New Bobby Puleo interview...
« on: December 27, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »

cigarettedeer

Re: New Bobby Puleo interview...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 03:14:22 PM »
Good stuff. I still love the line he does in the INFMS video right across from the Brooklyn Banks. Fs 180 on that rough as nails bank, fakie 180, nollie 180 onto a curb and then a pop shuv-it across the gap. Simple and stylish

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »
"it's hard for the newer generation to keep up with me. It's not easy what I do."

95% of the hate this guy gets is deserved these days.  Get off your fucking soapbox and go skate.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »
cherry tavern > the fish

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »
came off like a self-rightous dick.
...but i still back puelo

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

kosmic hoboe

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 07:04:48 PM »
Neat.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
When the fucj is the greatest misses DVD coming out?

I dig bob. His site rules. Can actually learn somthing from it. Bob lead me to watching movies like dark days and gods of time square. Both epic!
Imagine he was on consolidated? Ha.

I'm surprised he isn't on dekline or vox.

Nic

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
came off like a self-rightous dick.
...but i still back puelo

spare change

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 08:12:47 PM »
In case you guys haven't looked around, skateboarding needs some assholes right now.
Do what you like.
Bob skates cool spots and cares about his "image".
It's better than being a turd who waits for someone to find a spot and then go one up them.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »
I like how he speaks his mind and doesn't mince words.  Gino/Nike call out! 

krewkruxklan

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
It's better than being a turd who waits for someone to find a spot and then go one up them.
no it's not.
i agree that intentionally 'one upping' is pretty lame, but skating & filming at a popular spot isn't the worst thing. so fucking what now, we have to be weary of abd's and good spots. go to a spot, get a good trick, and repeat. puelo is just stroking his own dick, i like the guys skating but its fucking true.

and puelo's fronting like filming at "new spots" is a hard thing to do, but it isn't that difficult. people tend to go to familiar areas; even in small shitty towns niggas usually gather at specific spots.

i dont know what i'd rather see: a dude ollieng into 30 different cellar doors, or a dude doing a bunch of different tricks at famous spots.

SUPRFI$CAL

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
"Sure. I mean skateboarding, real skateboarders belong to a club. You get initiated, indoctrinated. You earn your wings. Too many kids these days don't understand skateboarding, it's history, it's origin and meaning. Too many kids learn about it through video games and TV and think they know it and that they are skateboarders. They have no idea that there is an etiquette. I had a kid come up to me the other day who could barely kick turn on this bank we were skating and ask me if I wanted to play skate. I couldn't believe it. And he was serious. That's what kids think skateboarding is. Another way to compete. It's sickening. Partly you have Gino to blame with Nike. It's insanity."

Ha. Your hero agrees with me. Fuck those kids who skate because of x-games/thps and their fuckin' foot locker shoes.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

spare change

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
no it's not.
i agree that intentionally 'one upping' is pretty lame, but skating & filming at a popular spot isn't the worst thing. so fucking what now, we have to be weary of abd's and good spots. go to a spot, get a good trick, and repeat. puelo is just stroking his own dick, i like the guys skating but its fucking true.

and puelo's fronting like filming at "new spots" is a hard thing to do, but it isn't that difficult. people tend to go to familiar areas; even in small shitty towns niggas usually gather at specific spots.

i dont know what i'd rather see: a dude ollieng into 30 different cellar doors, or a dude doing a bunch of different tricks at famous spots.
Theyre different types of skating, I respect both.
I just don't care about seeing jordan hoffart search out that bump to gap heath skated in mindfield just to one up him.
I just used that as an example, it doesn't mean I dont think what he did is amazing, or maybe he's heaths buddy, I dont really know.
Some people don't care about that stuff , I do. It's just perspective.
I live in a city thats full of random shit but you would never know it because you only see footage of 4 spots.There are spot seekers out here and that gets me hyped.i just see someone like bob who skates weird stuff, knowing how narrow this step is that he skated on or how bad the crack is before this bump or whatever it is. Stuff you have to think about.Just like most action movies that come out today, all special effects and no plot. I prefer to be stimulated by something that makes me think, not just stunts and shitty ramped slow mo's.

krewkruxklan

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 09:12:26 PM »
similarly, i enjoy just crusing the streets keeping an eye out for interesting things, i live 20 min outside of toronto and i can wholeheartedly say that simply riding your skateboard downtown can fucking beautiful. But really, puelo seems to think hes che guevera or something you know; like honestly he's not starting a revolution, there are so many skaters - young and old - that enjoy the thrill of a new spot,and actively seek them. there' a large demographic of skaters that can "keep up" with him. 

i think older dudes should help inform little groms about skateboarding rather than scoff at their naivety. this begs the question, are we opposed to corporate influence and/or 'sports mentality', or are we selfishly afraid of skateboardings popularity?

SUPRFI$CAL

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »

i think older dudes should help inform little groms about skateboarding rather than scoff at their naivety. this begs the question, are we opposed to corporate influence and/or 'sports mentality', or are we selfishly afraid of skateboardings popularity?
Both. Scoff at their naivety, so they don't think its ok to buy shit like Nikes and talk about all the stupid 2 inch high flip tricks they can do are embarassed to do so, and let them know whats cool and how to act. In the end, doing both will make lame kids who just want to be cool quit, and the cool kids will figure out what skating is all about. It preserves the culture that our generation worked hard to create (on the shoulders of previous generations that acted in similar ways). Selfishness and the narcissistic hope that the next generation will be like our generation probably are a big influence in the concept of vibing and the hate directed towards this generation. But do you know how different cities look these days compared to the 90's? Security guards and skatestoppers are common these days, and weren't when I started. You can act like the whole vibing thing was jockish, but the reality of it was that most of the vibing was meant to keep cocky jock types out, or at least make them more modest, and to level headed kids who were just looking for a good time and didn't care about what was cool in. There was no money, there was no glory, there was just a good time to be had, and that's why people did it. The reason people wanted to be pro was so that they could skate more, now the reason people skate more is to be pro, because of all the money. People who don't skate have gotten their hands in it, and their goal is to get as many people to skate as they can, without understanding what an important and holy thing they are just spreading to everybody.
Honestly though, a lot of it is just some "when I was your age" bitter old man shit. It ain't like it used to be. For better or worse, skating culture has changed, and the skateboarding landscape has changed. A kickflip now is as fun as a kickflip then, its not that skating itself is lame, but who doesn't have nostalgia for "the good old days?"
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

MikeyPioggia

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 10:11:49 PM »
I like how he speaks his mind and doesn't mince words.  Gino/Nike call out! 
yeah im down for bob, hes one of my favorites to watch, but damn that was a mean gino callout!

bluebark

• Rep: -123
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 10:31:25 PM »
bobby is overrated

u guys only like him because it makes u seem 'hardcore'

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 10:38:42 PM »
I honestly want to punch this clown in his face. You assholes made this nigga actually believe what he's doing is actually worthy of an ounce of praise. He's a fucking faggot that can't do any tricks, so he looks for spots to make up for being shitty at skateboarding. You guys eat that corny shit up, fuck i hate you people.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 10:45:40 PM »
I actually kind of enjoy thinking of him as some bitter weirdo all stressed out about the kids and everything.  I would agree that skateboarding could use more assholes.  I think its funny.  Doesn't take away from his skating at all.  I wouldn't want to hang out with the guy or anything but I really hope to one day own that greatest misses video.  In times of severe boredom his weird rants on Theories of Atlantis can be pretty funny too.

Other sweet moments:

*claiming his own cover as his favorite slap cover in one of the last print issues
*unleashing fury in that little boxing match in ian reids video
*getting called out regarding his strict spot rules by having somebody mention his 180 into a Cellar door that Jake Rupp originally skated and responding with "none of you would even walk up those steps to look at that thing" or something to that effect. 

Dude is a legend   

wheee!

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 10:56:21 PM »
don't get that gino call out...
:) I must have been tripping last night

spare change

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 11:00:12 PM »
bobbys pretty adamant about no big corporate companies in skating.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »
don't get that gino call out...

gino misses when skateboarding was "hated" on...
gino is on Nike....

WWD4D?

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 11:02:05 PM »
I can't wait til his Battle Commander.

......Any day now.....

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
he looks like buster keaton with a beard
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 11:04:01 PM »
I honestly want to punch this clown in his face. You assholes made this nigga actually believe what he's doing is actually worthy of an ounce of praise. He's a fucking faggot that can't do any tricks, so he looks for spots to make up for being shitty at skateboarding. You guys eat that corny shit up, fuck i hate you people.

If you were the kid that could barely kickturn on a bank that challenged Puleo to a game of skate, that would be pretty wonderful.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 11:06:47 PM »
That's what little kids do though. Who cares.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
So, it was you then?  Is that why you hate everything east of California? 

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »
no, but why would someone be mean to a little kids asking to play skate? that's in their nature. What's funny is that now he would never get asked, because kids now only challenge people they perceive as good at skating to games of skate. Naturally, i get challenged all the time.

All Hail Wu Welsh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 11:45:55 PM »
I'm glad he came off as big of a dick in that interview as he is in real life, i've had a couple encounters with him and the dude is a fuckin weirdo, only pro i've ever met who was completely anti social, but i guess thats what happens when you have a cult following like he does people watching and examining your every move.  And what he does regarding spot searchingis hard to an extent, but really not that hard considering me and thousands of other skaters do it, and we have actual full time jobs and/or go to school.