Author Topic: New Bobby Puleo interview...  (Read 19667 times)

paraquat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Bobby Puleo interview...
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »
no, but why would someone be mean to a little kids asking to play skate? that's in their nature. What's funny is that now he would never get asked, because kids now only challenge people they perceive as good at skating to games of skate. Naturally, i get challenged all the time.

.......everyone just shakes their head

gar

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2009, 03:11:22 AM »
all puleo does is talk shit. original spots? he just finds the same spot over and over again...

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 07:38:55 AM »
i see where hes coming from about searching out spots because to me, the spot is just as important as the trick, if not more.    we've all watched vids from various teams all skating the same spots over and over, its boring and its lame.   

as a older skater, i don't really put in that much effort when i skate the same spots/park but on the rare occasion that i go street skating and find something new, i'll break myself to get a trick there.  no cameras, no filmers, just for my own need and desire to conqueror spot and not let it conqueror me.  i'll even try new tricks or tricks i haven't tired in years just because the spot calls for it.  to me, skating a new spot is what shows the creativity in someone skating.  i just don't see much creativity in one upping someone down the triple set or busting a crooked grind down a 20 stair rail.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 07:51:51 AM »
Expand Quote
no, but why would someone be mean to a little kids asking to play skate? that's in their nature. What's funny is that now he would never get asked, because kids now only challenge people they perceive as good at skating to games of skate. Naturally, i get challenged all the time.
[close]

.......everyone just shakes their head
I thought COTG was very well-spoken in that comment
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 07:54:54 AM »
it really rubs me the wrong way when someone gets called a biter just because they didn't get to the spot first... where's the love in that??

all i hear in it is...

"look man, i found this shit first, you better not try any tricks on it... especially if they are more difficult than what i put down"

Expand Quote
don't get that gino call out...
[close]
gino misses when skateboarding was "hated" on...
gino is on Nike....

puleo was talkin about kids just thinking skateboarding is another competition

"That's what kids think skateboarding is. Another way to compete. It's sickening. Partly you have Gino to blame with Nike. It's insanity."

i definitely understand what you are saying, but what puleo is saying just doesn't make sense. gino is on nike... nike is corp... okay... but that has no bearing on making kids want to go huck themselves for fame, or get that #1 spot at the contest.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:57:31 AM by wake and bacon »
:) I must have been tripping last night

kevbo999

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 07:56:10 AM »
i see where hes coming from about searching out spots because to me, the spot is just as important as the trick, if not more.    we've all watched vids from various teams all skating the same spots over and over, its boring and its lame.   

i just don't see much creativity in one upping someone down the triple set or busting a crooked grind down a 20 stair rail.

You can probably take ur head out of ur butt, because wanting to skate different spots doesn't make you a creative genius.  The dudes in videos who "always skate the same spots" are doing it because that's what makes money in their chosen career.  You don't think they ever goof off with creative tricks at unseen spots?  

I mean some shit is worth hating on, but the naivety of some older posters here is astounding.  Like getting mad that certain pros skate predominantly one thing.  How would they learn to kill ledges/rails/whatever if they just tried to be well rounded.  Maybe they don't care what we think and have more fun than us, skating the same thing every day.

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
or maybe they can kill everything but just seem to get coverage on whats popular... that's where their companies filmers/photog's take them.

take ben hatchell for example, looks like a kid all about them bangers and what not... then you see him at make a wish 2009 doing switch 540 stale's in the bowl.... just because all you see is these dudes getting buck doesn't mean that's all they [want to] skate or are talented at.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »
Expand Quote

i just don't see much creativity in one upping someone down the triple set or busting a crooked grind down a 20 stair rail.
[close]

You can probably take ur head out of ur butt, because wanting to skate different spots doesn't make you a creative genius.  The dudes in videos who "always skate the same spots" are doing it because that's what makes money in their chosen career.  You don't think they ever goof off with creative tricks at unseen spots?  

I mean some shit is worth hating on, but the naivety of some older posters here is astounding.  Like getting mad that certain pros skate predominantly one thing.  How would they learn to kill ledges/rails/whatever if they just tried to be well rounded.  Maybe they don't care what we think and have more fun than us, skating the same thing every day.

who said anything about wanting to skate new spots?  i'm just talking about spots and how they make skateboarding look more interesting.  i don't care what some pro enjoys about skating, i care about what i enjoy seeing skating.  i.e  quim cardona ollie through the blue scaffolding(i think rodent shot it).      
you said it right there, "thats what makes them money" and thats why some skating is bland to me.  thats great its making them money but its putting me to sleep.  i just don't see anything interesting about a set of stairs or a handrail.  i'm not saying thats all they skate but thats what they're putting out there for me to see.   

and i don't care for his use of biters or followers.  its one thing to not share the location of a spot, its another thing if someone finds it on their own and gets a trick on it.  to call them biters/followers is ridiculous.  

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 08:14:40 AM »
and pretentious... oh wait... that's already been established 8)

fwiw i still enjoy his skating just as much. just the same as i still enjoy a musicians work, even if they are an asshole/cunt/whateveaaaa

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 08:41:29 AM »
the whole listen team is better at creative spot skating than bobby and the rest of the traffic team also. guy talks a lot of shit for someone who does easy tricks on cellar door spots.

and how's he going to call out corporate influence and then have his name on generic boards in asia?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:18:59 AM by Sleazy »

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 08:48:47 AM »
the whole listen team is better at creative spot skating than bobby and the rest of the traffic team also. guy talks a lot of shit for someone does easy tricks on cellar door spots.

and how's he going to call out corporate influence and then have his name on generic boards in asia?

i can't disagree, theres some truth to that. 

from what i've read, he didn't know anything about the generic boards in asia, they just took his name and threw on a board without his knowledge.   

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2009, 09:42:26 AM »
boobys a good skater, but he's a COMPLETE dick...i like that. i can't hold a conversation with him without wanting to punch him in his cocky fucking mouth, but i could say that about a lot of people. he's good though and i like his rants and crazy-cat-lady antics. skateboarding needs more of this for sure. yeah bob. do you.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »
I love watching Bobby skate, but didn't this dude wear Cons in one of his video parts?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

ASSHOLES and ELBOW GREASE

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2009, 10:46:17 AM »
I don't think he was being an asshole in that interview. Asshole is a pretty harsh word, we need more assholes in the skateboard community being assholes to other skaters? That doesn't even make sense, and that is not traditional by any strecth of the imagination in skateboarding.

Skateboarders in high school usually don't get along with the "popular crowd", so I don't agree with skateboarding being a club.
Asshole in skateboarding=elitest industry kook?

Also why would a shop owner be an asshole? Good luck with that.

Usually skateboarders don't join team sports because they don't want to practice or have a coach, they want to get off school go home, pop in a skate video, then go skate. Usually smoke, drink, and get made fun of by cool people. Pretty simple.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »
I love watching Bobby skate, but didn't this dude wear Cons in one of his video parts?
he wears multiple pairs of Cons in this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbeLJApGSoI
ableSkateMag.com

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »
Yeah, and he openly talks about that in this interview. He points out the difference between randomly wearing shoes that were good to skate without being paid to wear them, and a big corporation throwing money into skateboarding.
i definitely understand what you are saying, but what puleo is saying just doesn't make sense. gino is on nike... nike is corp... okay... but that has no bearing on making kids want to go huck themselves for fame, or get that #1 spot at the contest.
Where have you been if you don't understand this connection? Not only was it discussed at more length in this topic, but has also been talked about ad nauseum in other topics, to the point where people expect me or beer wizard or somebody like that to talk about how with nike and shit in the game it becomes more and more about money and fame and less about just skating, and get annoyed when we do because its already been said so much.

As for Bobby skating the same cellar doors and not being as creative as the entirety of this team or that, I completely disagree. First of all, watch his part in the FTC video. No cellar doors there that I remember, just a bunch of cutty SF spots that people have only just recently begun skating. Puleo did do his own thing and has been creative with the spots he skates. The shit he skates is original, the thing is, its hard to deny that over the last half of this decade everybody has been biting the Puleo/Oyola raw street/cutty spot style. From random kids growing up in Brooklyn to trendy hipster types like Spanky and Jerry Hsu who want to get in on the latest trend. Basically, you can't call him unoriginal just because a whole bunch of people recently copied a style of skating he has been pioneering over the last two decades. Honestly, I feel like THAT is more the source of his bitterness than people skating the exact spot he skates. He's bummed that he had an original thing, and suddenly his originality is being stripped away by a bunch of kids looking to get big by skating the new hip spots.

Oh, he's still an asshole from my experience, but just because you are an asshole doesn't mean you are wrong.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:41 AM »
Tell me Gipper or anyone else, so all you fucking assholes in skateboarding, you are saying that in the past 40 years skateboarding, there has been more evidence of skateboarders being assholes to each other, i.e. swinging their boards at each other's head like the Portland Security officers compared to skateboarders broing-down with each other and having fun?

edit for grammer: eachother is not a real word, you can't have 2 adjectives together in 1 word, i.e. "any more". Probably should have used one another  ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:21:22 AM by ASSHOLES and ELBOW GREASE »

3rd Person Jimmy

• Rep: 3
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2009, 11:08:18 AM »
In Jimmy's opinion there's not much of a difference if you're being paid to wear Nike's or not.  When Puleo was wearing those Cons there were probably a lot of guys out there that would probably buy Cons too base on the fact that Puleo was wearing them.  Thus giving money to the big corporation.  You can site greed for those guys who are getting paid to wear them but Jimmy thinks they are doing what's best for them.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2009, 11:12:25 AM »
In Jimmy's opinion there's not much of a difference if you're being paid to wear Nike's or not.  When Puleo was wearing those Cons there were probably a lot of guys out there that would probably buy Cons too base on the fact that Puleo was wearing them.  Thus giving money to the big corporation.  You can site greed for those guys who are getting paid to wear them but Jimmy thinks they are doing what's best for them.

faster! likes how jimmy has been staying in 3rd person jimmy mode. 
faster! appreciates jimmys attention to his 3rd person persona.   

riding bitches

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2009, 11:35:32 AM »
exactly. i love bobby puleo's skating, especially his style, but he acts like his brand of skating (finding really unique spots) is superlative to everyone elses' when it is really just one type of skating. he also acts like he is better at that style of skating then everyone, when as sleazy pointed out, he is certainly not.  i know some people don't think it's very cool but i actually like to go to spots and see what i can do at them compared to my friends or other people, even if i am way worse at that spot than other people.  it doesn't bum me out when someone does something better than me at a spot cause i have no problem with the fact that there are people that are better at skating certain things than me, it just makes me want to push myself harder.  i love skating all spots and learning new tricks for myself, it really doesn't matter to me how many times the trick has been done or skated by other people. and also nobody can deny that it does feel good to do a trick that no one has done on a spot.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:37:49 AM by riding bitches »

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »
The constructive dialogue at theories of atlantis almost ruined this guy for me, so I'm not going to read that interview. That INFMS part is still a favourite.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2009, 11:54:35 AM »
As for Bobby skating the same cellar doors and not being as creative as the entirety of this team or that, I completely disagree. First of all, watch his part in the FTC video. No cellar doors there that I remember, just a bunch of cutty SF spots that people have only just recently begun skating. Puleo did do his own thing and has been creative with the spots he skates. The shit he skates is original, the thing is, its hard to deny that over the last half of this decade everybody has been biting the Puleo/Oyola raw street/cutty spot style. From random kids growing up in Brooklyn to trendy hipster types like Spanky and Jerry Hsu who want to get in on the latest trend. Basically, you can't call him unoriginal just because a whole bunch of people recently copied a style of skating he has been pioneering over the last two decades. Honestly, I feel like THAT is more the source of his bitterness than people skating the exact spot he skates. He's bummed that he had an original thing, and suddenly his originality is being stripped away by a bunch of kids looking to get big by skating the new hip spots.

His FTC days are my favorite too, because he's switched over to becoming a caricature of himself now.  Doing mediocre tricks that are only slightly passable because he does them into cutty banks and cellar doors in red hook.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »
I honestly can't believe people are defending this clown. Actually, this is slap, so i can, but i can guarantee that if someone that was actually good at skateboarding ever alluded to them being the best at what they do, they would be crucified to no end.

Bobby puleo is faggotry in it's pure form. I would be willing to bet any amount of money that he was the faggot kid that took his ball home when he didn't get picked. Judging from the way he skates, i can safely safe that he probably never got picked.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »
you always make me laugh but now i'm taking my ball and going home.   

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »
"that guy was a kook, he was wearing nikes, took my ball that i spent months shopping for then jocked out and one upped me with my own ball so i left and took my ball so no one else would bite me."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2009, 12:21:15 PM »
Tell me Gipper or anyone else, so all you fucking assholes in skateboarding, you are saying that in the past 40 years skateboarding, there has been more evidence of skateboarders being assholes to each other, i.e. swinging their boards at each other's head like the Portland Security officers compared to skateboarders broing-down with each other and having fun?

edit for grammer: eachother is not a real word, you can't have 2 adjectives together in 1 word, i.e. "any more". Probably should have used one another  ;)
I don't fully understand what you are saying, but think I get your question. Actually, the skateboard community was way closer and tight knit back in the day, but less accepting of outsiders. A security guard or some random shit talking asshole were more likely to taste a truck, and a skater would get way more love from another skater. Once you knew people and showed that you were in it for the love of it and in it for the long haul skaters were actually way closer. Any time you saw a dude who skated at a spot, they were instantly your friend. The kids who would get vibed would be like the kids who we would go to the same school with or something and got their parents to buy them the newest skateboard and cool gear over a weekend and suddenly started trying to be down, when we all knew it was just a trend to them.
Does that at least slightly answer your question?

And artichoke, I get what you are saying, and agree that his skating is not what it used to be. My main point was that its inaccurate to claim he isn't creative with the spots he skates, because in reality, if other people skate the same spots as him, its because they went to  a spot or type of spot he skated before they did, not the other way around. Most "creative spot" dudes these days are taking what he and Ricky experimented with, and taking it a step further.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2009, 12:59:51 PM »
Wow, there I was preparing some hefty disquisition and you dudes had already beat me to it. He did come off quite arrogant in parts but as somebody said; skateboarding needs more outspoken opinions and character. Give me Sheffey, Boulala and Pontus any day over some smiley nonsensical clone. At least he has an opinion. Most interviews I read these days are just so boring and they're so afraid to be outspoken.

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2009, 01:02:25 PM »
Gipper, mos def understand what you are saying. Would you agree that people in the skateboard industry are more accepting of outsiders and are now being more dick to people with in the skateboard community? i.e. hanging out with celebrities and not skating, compared to  skating with the neighborhood skate rats? Thus leading to vibing/giving dirty looks to skaters lower on the food chain so to speak?

There seems to be more of a promotional push on image and lifestyle instead of actually going out and street skating/park skating. Don't you think?

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2009, 01:05:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don't fully understand what you are saying, but think I get your question. Actually, the skateboard community was way closer and tight knit back in the day, but less accepting of outsiders. A security guard or some random shit talking asshole were more likely to taste a truck, and a skater would get way more love from another skater. Once you knew people and showed that you were in it for the love of it and in it for the long haul skaters were actually way closer. Any time you saw a dude who skated at a spot, they were instantly your friend. The kids who would get vibed would be like the kids who we would go to the same school with or something and got their parents to buy them the newest skateboard and cool gear over a weekend and suddenly started trying to be down, when we all knew it was just a trend to them.
Does that at least slightly answer your question?

And artichoke, I get what you are saying, and agree that his skating is not what it used to be. My main point was that its inaccurate to claim he isn't creative with the spots he skates, because in reality, if other people skate the same spots as him, its because they went to  a spot or type of spot he skated before they did, not the other way around. Most "creative spot" dudes these days are taking what he and Ricky experimented with, and taking it a step further.

and to add to gipper's sentiment. even lance mountain just said in his most recent interview that he used to kick fools out of his ramp regularly and doesn't even remember who they were (and that dude's nicer than theotis). the bottom line is that, NO, skaters were not cool with you JUST because you carried a board. you were assumed to be a poser until we saw you rip and you proved your worth. and i saw plenty of cats who could do good tricks get vibed like jocks because they just sucked at life, or cried too fucking much, or always got pissed off when we were trying to have fun, etc.

skatings always been that way until recently when the fucking crying toddlers started having nannies in the game. fuck that.

oh and for the record, i fully agree with COTG's last post. he's right. if prod said that shit, he'd get roasted (even though in his case, it might be true) no matter the real sentiment behind it. and bobby is definitely THAT salty ass kid who'd take his shit and leave if he didn't like the game. gotta love it.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2009, 01:13:58 PM »
Kamltoe, your mentality is so ass-backwards, no one listen to what he just said/wrote.

Edit: Actually you dude you come across as the biggest elitest industry kook selling the "image" and lifestyle so hard dude, that shit is played out.

Are you suppose to be this big ladies man or something? Dude give it up, post your skating hard ass superstar....
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:35:14 PM by ASSHOLES and ELBOW GREASE »