Author Topic: BASS HEADS - What makes your subs SLAP?  (Read 3546 times)

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
Re: BASS HEADS - What makes your subs SLAP?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2020, 08:10:41 PM »
oof imma be real with you chief laidback luke is super mainstream house dj he would never play an underground track like that haha. but it's all good get in where you fit in.. i've jammed to worse. definitely also like to zone out on some house mixes when im cleaning or washing the dishes as well somtimes
Well, I DID say might play there, Dew Manchu   ;).  I was making a general reference toward all 4 of the records.  Truth told, I'm no expert in House or really any EDM and only recently came across LL by accident.  So I'm in no position to discern underground from mainstream.  Hoping that's a doctorate in EDM you hold and you'll school me down on it though.

I was late to the party on house, techno, trance, d&b.  Though I always loved breakbeat/ breakdance stuff, like Planet Rock, Electric Kingdom, Professor X, Extacy, Jam On It,  and stuff from the Freestyle genre with similar beats,  Spring Love, Take Me In Your Arms, Let the Music Play.

In the early 90's while all the rave shit was popping off in SD (and everywhere else)  it was all about hip hop and gangster rap for me.  I think I actually hated EDM at one point.  Fuck all that "techno" shit was my general stance back then.

Somewhere around 2002 I heard something, perhaps Afrikka Bambaata - United DJ's of America set) but the light bulb went of, like Fuck, what have I been doing with my life?  How much good shit have I ignored or never bothered to explore all these years?  I started finding DJ's I liked, Simply Jeff, Scott Hardkiss, Digweed and Sasha, Armand Van Helden, John Kelly, Dave Clarke, Scott Project.  It was weird, cause some of it I still despised, but some of it sent chills down my spine and I loved it.  I developed a taste.  Never liked the party, diva, vocal stuff, but LOVED the dark, gritty, minimal ( if any) vocal stuff across all genres of EDM.

These are a few all time faves:

"Leftfield - Phat Planet [Dave Clarke Remix - A1]"

"Hypertraxx - Paranoid (Dj Scot Project Remix)"

"Scott Hardkiss - United DJs Of America - Volume 17 [2001]"  1st song.  I believe it's called Glory Glory by Ananda Project:

"Sprite Club - Afrika Bambaataa - "United DJs Of America - Volume 13: Electro Funk Breakdown""

*Edit 1:  Brother Bambaata added.  This is the mix that pulled my head outta my ass toward EDM.

*Edit 2:  What I like about Luke is his style of DJ'ing.  He takes a bit of an Old School approach in the sense that he stays busy up there.  Working the filters and efx, dropping shit in, even scratching in on the jog wheels, instead of the hot cues.  I get that It's not Old School in the Vinyl on 1200's, but his approach in the digital realm I can dig.  And he throws hip hop in on some of those house sets and pulls it off IMO.  Not my favorite, but I am a fan.  Seems like a cool dude too with the whole "Professional DJ, Kung Fu Athlete, and dedicated Dad" intro.  I was half expecting him to add aaaannnnddd lifelong skateboarder.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:57:11 PM by Pho King Hung Lo Mein »
"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2020, 12:18:54 PM »
Scott Hardkiss (RIP) is quite possibly my favorite DJ I've ever heard live. He played the 40 watt club and it was after I had spent 8 hours on my feet at work. I was just going to get a buzz and listen to him spin. He put on a song that got me off my ass and on the dancefloor grooving. Every time I would make any steps toward getting back to my stool, he would drop another amazing song that would turn me back around. It must have been comical for him to play me like a dancing puppet. He kept it up for almost two hours until I was pretty damn near ready to faint. Just unbelievable.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:26:22 PM by layzieyez »

Dr Dew

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »
Ah ok I got u, the LL comment makes more sense in the context of all 4 songs I shared, not only the last one. My bad for being annoying/elitist with my reply, I get excited to share music I love with people but need to chill on the judgement/criticism haha.

That Dave Clarke remix is banging, kick is absolutely huge. And digging the second track you shared as well, Im loving the hard dirty minimal stuff as well.

90s techno was so gnarly, I’m glad a lot of producers/djs are still being influenced by it. Check out I Hate Models, he is really carrying the torch when it comes to to heavy old school techno/rave/breakbeat influenced stuff (although I could do with his edgy stage name lol)

Banging old school techno kick and drum work + euphoric trance pad.. no vocals.. one water please type beat..  ;D

And okay one more.. grit central on this one.. some slight vocal but in a non cheesy way for me at least. I love how they make you wait 2 whole minutes for the chord to come in

Dr Dew

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2020, 12:23:03 PM »
Scott Hardkiss (RIP) is quite possibly my favorite DJ I've ever heard live. He played the 40 watt club and it was after I had spent 8 hours on my feet at work. I was just going to get a buzz and listen to him spin. He put on a song that got me off my ass and on the dancefloor grooving. Every time I would make any steps toward getting back to my stool, he would drop another amazing song that would turn me back around. It must have been comical for him to play me like a dancing puppet. He kept it up for almost two hours until I was pretty damn near ready to faint. Just unbelievable.

Love to hear it. This is what it’s all about

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2020, 10:08:01 PM »

Finally gave this a thourough listen.  Super mellow, good guitar work, definitely a time and place for it in my library, but I'm like "where's the bass"?  Glad I stuck around for the 3rd minute when the drums and bass kicked in and it got a bit psychadelic.  I can dig it and can honestly say I would probably NEVER have stumbled across it on my own.  Thanks.

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2020, 10:45:55 PM »
Ah ok I got u, the LL comment makes more sense in the context of all 4 songs I shared, not only the last one. My bad for being annoying/elitist with my reply, I get excited to share music I love with people but need to chill on the judgement/criticism haha.

Nah, you're good, I know how people "get" about music they're really into, I'm sure I come off the same way to people when I laugh and call their music "bubblegum", before I hit em with the straight dope.  All in good fun though.

That Dave Clarke remix is banging, kick is absolutely huge. And digging the second track you shared as well, Im loving the hard dirty minimal stuff as well.

90s techno was so gnarly, I’m glad a lot of producers/djs are still being influenced by it. Check out I Hate Models, he is really carrying the torch when it comes to to heavy old school techno/rave/breakbeat influenced stuff (although I could do with his edgy stage name lol)

LOVE this and never heard of the kid.  Pump up the Jam was one of those "guilty pleasure" songs I liked when it came out, before I had any clue what "house" was.  I definitely hear the 90's influence and love how he darkened up, one the most commercial house tracks ever and made it pallatable to an UG audience.  I wouldn't have even been mad if he let the hook drop in either " Oh Ah, a place to stay".  Get ya booty..." though SLAP's the only place I would probably admit it.  ;)

Banging old school techno kick and drum work + euphoric trance pad.. no vocals.. one water please type beat...

I'm really digging this alot.  IHM might be among my new faves, definitely gonna dig in to some more of his stuff.  This one reminds me of one of my all time favorite mixes, from a favorite DJ, John Kelley, I could picture something like this in this particular set of his (see below).

And okay one more.. grit central on this one.. some slight vocal but in a non cheesy way for me at least. I love how they make you wait 2 whole minutes for the chord to come in

I feel you.  It walks the line, without stepping over the cheese grate.  Usually not a big vocal house guy, the Hardkiss/ Ananda one was always my exception to the rule, I actually thought it made the song better,  butnthis shows that it CAN be done tastefully.  On this one, I think the instrumental is sick as fuck and dark enough to balance it all out.  I like this one too.  Nice pics all around.  Thanks Dewmeister.

"DJ John Kelley ‎– FunkyDesertBreaks - 1996"

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2020, 10:59:59 PM »

Good story Layze, that made me smile.  Picturing you  as a human"marionette" trying to leave the floor, but "spinning like a top" out there (reminded me of Entourage episode when Vince said it to E) and Hardkiss laughing his ass off behind the decks and pulling your strings.  Excellent track BTW.  Thanks.

Dr Dew

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 09:47:33 PM »

dub techno kinda feeling right at the moment

Whitedude

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 07:04:54 AM »

try these

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2020, 09:49:25 AM »

Find the Soul Oddity album Tone Capsule if you can. The whole thing is perfect.
https://schematicmusiccompany.bandcamp.com/album/tone-capsule

You might also dig uberzone

Speakr

• Rep: 61
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 05:47:26 AM »
Thought I'd join in on this topic. I literally started listening to hardstyle & gabber, and later other EDM styles, to test a subwoofer I bought when I was younger. And it's basically all I listen to still since then.

I still remember the first track I ever downloaded too:

And this is still one of my favorite gabber tracks:

And to answer the topic's title, probably this. Absolute mayhem starts about a minute in:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:49:13 AM by Speakr »

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2020, 08:06:21 PM »
Hey Gang,  been awhile since I've had much time to dedicate to the thread, but wanted to let you's know I see you, hear you, and definitely feel you on this stuff.  I like to come around and respond to everybody individually, but just wanted to say, keep em coming.  I appreciate the diverse range of selections you're coming through with and can't thank you enough for turning me, and hopefully others on to it.  You guys rule.

Real quick though, Jimmy Titties, you hit the nail on the head as far as what I listen to about 80% of the time.  Love the trap shit, with the basslines that jump around between 35hz and 100hz.  That Fat Nick is a strange fella, but his voice, flow, and beats that he rips are a brutal combo for me.  Surprised I hadn't heard PSA yet and had to cop on the spot.  Solid list all around.  I actually hadn't heard any of em.

Dr Dew

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2020, 03:49:46 PM »
Big one

Dr Dew

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2020, 03:54:36 PM »
Takes you deep, brings you back up for air, throws you down again. Massive tune

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2020, 02:34:32 PM »
These all been getting regular play in the ride lately, love the these basslines on these:

Also been on this Chicago drill kick for a minute.  Best blend of hardest basslines and gangster and lyrics IMO.

Had the pleasure of hanging with this young man (Yung), out in Vegas about a month ago.  Chicago drill, not quite as popular as some of the others, but his shit goes hard as fuck:

Oh, and his little brothers rap too.  These kids are like 12 and 10, but fuck.  This may be the hardest track of them all -haha.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:39:16 PM by Pho King Hung Lo Mein »

Garnet

• Rep: -87
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
These all been getting regular play in the ride lately, love the these basslines on these:

Also been on this Chicago drill kick for a minute.  Best blend of hardest basslines and gangster and lyrics IMO.

Had the pleasure of hanging with this young man (Yung), out in Vegas about a month ago.  Chicago drill, not quite as popular as some of the others, but his shit goes hard as fuck:

Oh, and his little brothers rap too.  These kids are like 12 and 10, but fuck.  This may be the hardest track of them all -haha.

what a bunch of fuckin garbage