Author Topic: Daniel Espinoza on lakai  (Read 10147 times)

ChildoftheGhetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Daniel Espinoza on lakai
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »
i feel like i really must be missing something here.  because he is one of those kids who's sprung up lately who always try to keep their arms below their shoulders.  am i really the only one who notices this?  his style seems really, really forced because he's always concentrating on keeping his arms down; it's just not natural.  i noticed it in those berrics vids and still notice it.  and sure, he's another california tech kid who's not too sketchy, but who cares?  there are thousands of these kids.  meanwhile, dudes like jimmy lannon are still being slept on by companies by lakai; he's been on the flow program for years, has put in the work, and still is with no recognition like this.

sorry.  perhaps i'm ranting.  maybe it's that i'm so desensitized by the great amount of insanely tech skating recently that kids like this just don't do it for me.
I was kind of with you until you said jimmy lannon was tight. His style is more fake than most peoples' styles, but it looks good.

im pissed how the chocolate and girl dudes who are flowed by lakai get on first, id rather see coakley get on full
C'mon son. coakley over this kid? you're an idiot.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 04:30:57 PM »
this kid's amazing

Rampfoot

• Rep: 21
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 04:47:50 PM »
can he even jerk off yet? even if he can i bet his load is like whatever.
Sig'd

Stoked for Espinoza! One of the few new kids I'm psyched on...glad to see we will see a lot of him in the future.

mikapepe

• Rep: -15
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think when you are younger your loads are bigger... i forget. maybe i just jerk off more now.

maybe you are right?

riding bitches

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nice.

As far as the whole "putting in work" thing. That's not really how it works. Talent and marketability are what matters. With an am, age also matters. Jimmy Lannon is pretty old, and is not likely to turn into the next Koston. Younger kids have the potential to do that, and because of that potential, they'll get the am spot 9/10 over the guy who has put in work.
Fuck, I've "put in work" skating, but I shouldn't be am. Talent and marketability are what matters, not how much time you spend on the board, how long you have been skating, or even how much you love skating.
also, these little kids are skate park machines who have boundless pre pubescent energy and can skate all day everyday.  they usually also have less things they care about in life than someone who has lived for a longer time, so their focus is pretty much purely on skating. 

Sidewayslurkzine

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »
actually wait, id want to see THIS guy get on!    ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xHRAfuAmWo

PumpkinEsc0bar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -127
  • cleaner than a broke dick dog
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »
soo sick!!!

WansConvenience

• Rep: 7
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 08:13:51 PM »
get coakley on before offers pour in after MFWTCB.

Dudes will be slobbing his knob like the new pops just watch!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:00:21 PM by WansConvenience »

SleepyPeePee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »
actually wait, id want to see THIS guy get on!    ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xHRAfuAmWo

HAHAHAHA...

yesss..
that was pretty sick!
...i lol'd.
would you rather hear "woo" from the omar salazar pack? i wouldn't. their "yeahs" are genuine, and cool. "yeah" has been the battle cry of skaters for as long as i can remember.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:39 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

drowe1

• Rep: -16
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 12:47:48 AM »
Lakai, preparing for the future; Daniel Espinoza is pretty good.
very true.. what are they gonna do when most their team retires in five years.. half of the team is like 35, how long can they go.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 01:07:06 AM »
Thanks for the Youtube, Tate. For some reason, all Crailtap videos take me forever to load, if they do at all. Those are pretty much the only vids I have that problem with.

About this Espinoza kid; think about it, they put him on Lakai fully, he must be the real thing. They don't put somebody on overnight. That footage was pretty impressive.

Randozzi

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 01:12:55 AM »
The kid can roll.

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 01:29:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nice.

As far as the whole "putting in work" thing. That's not really how it works. Talent and marketability are what matters. With an am, age also matters. Jimmy Lannon is pretty old, and is not likely to turn into the next Koston. Younger kids have the potential to do that, and because of that potential, they'll get the am spot 9/10 over the guy who has put in work.
Fuck, I've "put in work" skating, but I shouldn't be am. Talent and marketability are what matters, not how much time you spend on the board, how long you have been skating, or even how much you love skating.
sorry, i feel like i've gotten the wrong idea across.  i've "put in time" skating too.  we all have.  i was trying to say that, personally, i think that companies should have a bit of loyalty to their riders.  a lot of people have been on companies' flow programs for years, have represented the companies, are known as always repping their stuff, but because they're not the "in" thing right then--either their trick selection isn't what the current trends are (which is exactly what dan espinoza has) or they are a bit older--the companies seem to let them down.  and i think that a lot of really great skateboarders sort of fade out of the limelight they deserve because companies are, as you said, trying to market the most promising young kids.  along the same lines, it's why i was so fucking stoked when daniel castillo finally went pro.  sure, the dude can't do double flip back tails, but he's in there for the long haul and is a staple in skateboarding.

i also personally put the most importance on style, and i just don't think this kid has it, at least not yet.  he still has kid-style for the most part, and i don't really care much for flip-trick wizardry.

and i'm also biased in my opinion of jimmy lannon, he's one of my favorites and a friend.  he ollied my dog.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
ah jesus jimmy lannon had a tight kickflip.

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »
Daniel is definately good enough to be where he is at right now. Too bad I can't stand to watch someone skate with a style like his. That made me really want to watch Nestor Judkin's Bonus Round part.....that is skateboarding at its finest.

mock nugget

• Rep: -12
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »
i feel like i really must be missing something here.  because he is one of those kids who's sprung up lately who always try to keep their arms below their shoulders.  am i really the only one who notices this?  his style seems really, really forced because he's always concentrating on keeping his arms down; it's just not natural.  i noticed it in those berrics vids and still notice it.  and sure, he's another california tech kid who's not too sketchy, but who cares?  there are thousands of these kids.

yeah i had a similar reaction when i first saw his footage. to me it seems inauthentic in a way that degrades how good the skating is. the funny thing is that classic skaters from older generations like iannucci or janoski also have that arms below shoulders thing, but it still looks like they are trying.

maybe thats why i enjoyed watching andrew allen's new part so much. it's refreshing to see the skater who looks as if they have something at stake when they switch heel a stairset or noseblunt a ledge, instead of looking like they just did that smith grind kickflip out cause the ledge was just there and, ya know, whatever.

frenchtoast

• Rep: -55
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 02:56:06 PM »

Dudes will be slobbing in knob like the new pops just watch!

are people supposed to know what a MFWTCB is.....

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's a video.

In Lieu

• Rep: 15
  • happy go hatred
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 06:18:40 PM »
i feel like i really must be missing something here.  because he is one of those kids who's sprung up lately who always try to keep their arms below their shoulders.  am i really the only one who notices this?  his style seems really, really forced because he's always concentrating on keeping his arms down; it's just not natural.  i noticed it in those berrics vids and still notice it.  and sure, he's another california tech kid who's not too sketchy, but who cares?  there are thousands of these kids.  meanwhile, dudes like jimmy lannon are still being slept on by companies by lakai; he's been on the flow program for years, has put in the work, and still is with no recognition like this.

sorry.  perhaps i'm ranting.  maybe it's that i'm so desensitized by the great amount of insanely tech skating recently that kids like this just don't do it for me.

you really think so? in those berrics redemption games of skate it looked like that's just how he rolls, not forced at all. i think he's rad personally
EYTAFIOK

Quilmes Cerveza

• Rep: 5
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »
ooohh fuck i was hoping it was danny fuenzalida on lakai... that would have been proper.
I wish...

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm pretty sure most people on this board understood that.

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2010, 08:31:09 PM »
Fuck yeah! Chocolate next hopefully...

probably along with yaje popson. yaje had a photo in the new tsm chocolate article

steenz

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »
this kid is boring, i wanna punch him in the face

zipzinger666

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • Fuck, that didn't work out...
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 09:36:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

probably along with yaje popson. yaje had a photo in the new tsm chocolate article

if yaje gets on chocolate I would be beyond stoked. my favorite ripper out of NY right now for sure...
Slap: not only do we run things in the industry, we fucking kill people"

ConnorRobinson

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

if yaje gets on chocolate I would be beyond stoked. my favorite ripper out of NY right now for sure...
I heard that kid had a really shitty attitude though. Chocolate doesn't seem like the type of company that would hook up a kid with a bad attitude. But hey, I think I just read that on here, and Yaje is fucking sick regardless.

Il Gimmi

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2010, 09:43:06 AM »
Crailtap dudes know what they're doing. Definitely still has little kid style but with the right amount of nurturing, water, sun light, pruning, nutrients, potting soil, he'll blossom into a beautiful flower.

ige

• Rep: -74
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
First thing that popped into my head while watching Espinoza's clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npO-OR6k-fw (1:46)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2010, 03:35:49 PM »
If this is what the kid has for a welcome to the team clip, then fuck, I'd like to see what they're not showing for the choco vid.

Sidewayslurkzine

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
this is gay, i just re-watched the girl open house and in that park contest he got 3rd and ryan spencer got 2nd and trevor mcclung got 1st, id rather see one of those dudes get some love and coverage than just another boring skater like daniel