Author Topic: Poppalardo  (Read 20052 times)

baconeggandcheese

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: Poppalardo
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »
Think of it like this:  At the beginning of his career, Picasso painted extremely realistic portraits.  He had as much technical skill as anyone.  This allowed him to later in his career paint things that were more simple, with more style.  He earned the right to be able to create things that were more fun for him, even if they were not as technically "good".  And I personally like Picasso's later work better.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »
Kids want McDonalds. We want sushi.

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »
Think of it like this:  At the beginning of his career, Picasso painted extremely realistic portraits.  He had as much technical skill as anyone.  This allowed him to later in his career paint things that were more simple, with more style.  He earned the right to be able to create things that were more fun for him, even if they were not as technically "good".  And I personally like Picasso's later work better.

well put although picasso really took what cezanne was doing and used even more tecnical skill to create cubism... a seemingly simple thing but more complex and skillfull then anyone could imagine, untill they tried it...... IT MAY LOOK EASY BUT THAT DON'T MEAN IS.

tysj!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/tysj avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »
are you fucking kidding me
LUTZKA SUCKED HIS OWN DICK OFF
NOW HIS PUSSY IS 120 GRIT SOFT
I PEELED THAT NIGGAS SKIN OFF LIKE GRIPTAPE
ALIEN UNDERNEATH, EXPLODED JIZZ IN HIS BITCH'S FACE!

bandini

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2010, 10:12:53 AM »
IT MAY LOOK EASY BUT THAT DON'T MEAN IS.

No, it's actually easy.

If we're going to compare Pops to an artist, I think he'd be one of those guys who painted a small red triangle in the middle of a huge white canvas, & then had a bunch of people raving about how "important" it was...

whang

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2010, 10:16:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, it's actually easy.

If we're going to compare Pops to an artist, I think he'd be one of those guys who painted a small red triangle in the middle of a huge white canvas, & then had a bunch of people raving about how "important" it was...
thats such an ignorant look at art, and stupid

tysj!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »
so those starving dogs thing was a good exhibit right?

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »
If Koston were to shoot that sequence, all the garbage would have been cleaned up for him, Panasonic would pay to have huge lights and five cameras set up everywhere, all of the cracks would be bondo'd by whoever was interning for the *****cs at the time, and everything would be done switch.

He'd then hop on twitter and say "Just switch manny'd pop's cellar door go fuck your face", and all the interns would hesitantly laugh with him.

cops keep firing

• Rep: 63
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »
if you are going to compare pops to an artist and say his art sucks now then
you need to at least take into account that at one point he was one of the best artists
which in turn has given him (in my opinion) the right to make "shitty" art.

I mean, if the creator of the universe is truly concerned with where you put your penis, then surely he has an opinion on who had the best part in Fully Flared.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2010, 10:27:25 AM »
which in turn has given him (in my opinion) the right to make "shitty" art.

can we dub the term "Shart"?

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2010, 10:28:59 AM »
comparing paps to picasso. you people are ridiculous

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
double meanings are fun

for instance:

I sharted in my pants, put it on a piece of canvas, now its shart!

cops keep firing

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2010, 10:32:33 AM »
double meanings are fun

for instance:

I sharted in my pants, put it on a piece of canvas, now its shart!

what if people like it? is it still shart?
I mean, if the creator of the universe is truly concerned with where you put your penis, then surely he has an opinion on who had the best part in Fully Flared.

tysj!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2010, 10:33:50 AM »
it's still a piece of shit ain't it?

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2010, 10:36:59 AM »
the allusions to the art world actually make sense.
picasso and modern artists that succeeded him in the later 20th century didn't 'dumb down' their work; aestically the works may have been 'simpler',but these changes were of intellectual concerns rather than aesthetic ones; this was the speration of the avant-garde from the acedimia.

maybe we're looking too deep into this, but we all know popalardo can skate as technically and skillfully as any of his contemporaries, so why would he all of a sudden shift to doing ollies and nosebonks. he could milk it in the same fasion as a lot of pro's by not releasing footage at all or by releasing 1 or 2 super-tech tricks every few years. his 2:30 minuite fully flared part could have been cut even shorter and been riddled with combos but he decided not too.
for some reason i think pop's is trying to do something different (while making stools).

...or maybe im just a dick-rider.  

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2010, 10:40:27 AM »
for a start i was not comparing him to picasso, i was only talking about what baconeggsandcheese was saying where he referenced picasso and was saying how just because he used to be technically good what he did later was easier... which it wasn't.

Expand Quote
[close]

No, it's actually easy.

Duchamp is probably the most important artist of the last century and all he did was turn a urinal upside down... and yes it was fucking important.

Basically i was trying to say how sometimes doing something that seems simple isn't always how it seems. Like this sequence of popps, it may look simple but it may be filled with little problems that you can't see.

sorry for the rant i think my post was seen as i was trying to compare Popps to one of the greatest most influencial artists of our time, to which i am not.

KrewKruxklan said it best.

pivotfakie

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »
Its either you love the "new" pops or you hate it.  I love it, watching him skate fast on rugged-ass spots is enjoyable to me. Just because he's not doing a back tail flip out or hucking himself down a twenty-set doesn't mean he doesn't mean he sucks. Remember this guy switch ollied love back in the day..

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2010, 10:49:35 AM »
for a start i was not comparing him to picasso, i was only talking about what baconeggsandcheese was saying where he referenced picasso and was saying how just because he used to be technically good what he did later was easier... which it wasn't.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

No, it's actually easy.

[close]

Duchamp is probably the most important artist of the last century and all he did was turn a urinal upside down... and yes it was fucking important.

Basically i was trying to say how sometimes doing something that seems simple isn't always how it seems. Like this sequence of popps, it may look simple but it may be filled with little problems that you can't see.

sorry for the rant i think my post was seen as i was trying to compare Popps to one of the greatest most influencial artists of our time, to which i am not.

KrewKruxklan said it best.

I never said what Picasso did later was easier.  I think you missed my point.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »
I'm not gonna lie. I hate visual art. I like Pappalardo.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

cops keep firing

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »
he also switch back 50'ed clipper.
if you need something tech from fully flared he did
front shove nosegrind shove out. BACK WHEELS FIRST!!!
stop acting like the dude doesn't know how to ride a skateboard.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2010, 10:55:56 AM »
I cry about the way people skate every night. Hold me.

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2010, 11:02:11 AM »
he also switch back 50'ed clipper.
if you need something tech from fully flared he did
front shove nosegrind shove out. BACK WHEELS FIRST!!!
stop acting like the dude doesn't know how to ride a skateboard.
and backside flip 5-0 on that bank to ledge.
pops can still skate.

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2010, 11:09:27 AM »
I wonder how long it'll take for some 12 year old to find that spot and one up poppalardo...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:22:39 AM by able »
ableSkateMag.com

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
he's an artsy ass bob dylan bench building switch ollie poppin muthafucka

Just Green Enough

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ...but existing is basically all i do
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »
wow. this is getting ridiculous.

anybody who can ollie can recreate that line.
if you couldn't ride out that spot, then you clearly are not good at skateboarding.

i'm not saying he's bad now, but he clearly is not WORKING for it like he used to.
just cus you have your name on some wood doesn't give you an excuse to get lazy.
I am in fact, a homosexual like Brian Anderson

the next curren caples

• Rep: -35
  • Letha Brainz Blo
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
I don't think the skateboarding industry ever realized how much you fat kids and 'creative' types (yeah right) needed a hero--someone you could identify with.  Get the fuck out of here with that art talk, there is absolutely nothing creative going on in the sequence in question.  That is exactly what every one of us would do--first try--if we came up on that spot.  In other words, the thing to do there is completely obvious and it requires absolutely no creativity to see.  Like, what the fuck else would you do there anyway?  The reason why I can't stand you fans giving this dude a free pass no matter what is because there are skaters out there that are actually creative and sick that make a fraction of what this dude does, all because they never went ahead and sold their stupid bullshit pouty 'artist' portrait face to all you fat kids out there.  Get a clue and support skaters who actually skate and are sick.  And if you're a fan of this dude and you read this and you still don't get what I'm saying, then you are as dumb as a post.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »

and backside flip 5-0 on that bank to ledge.

I really liked that trick in his part, actually his whole FF part was really fucking good, just wasn't what people were expecting.

pivotfakie

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2010, 01:09:44 PM »
I don't think the skateboarding industry ever realized how much you fat kids and 'creative' types (yeah right) needed a hero--someone you could identify with.  Get the fuck out of here with that art talk, there is absolutely nothing creative going on in the sequence in question.  That is exactly what every one of us would do--first try--if we came up on that spot.  In other words, the thing to do there is completely obvious and it requires absolutely no creativity to see.  Like, what the fuck else would you do there anyway?  The reason why I can't stand you fans giving this dude a free pass no matter what is because there are skaters out there that are actually creative and sick that make a fraction of what this dude does, all because they never went ahead and sold their stupid bullshit pouty 'artist' portrait face to all you fat kids out there.  Get a clue and support skaters who actually skate and are sick.  And if you're a fan of this dude and you read this and you still don't get what I'm saying, then you are as dumb as a post.
I agree that it is irritating when close-minded pappalardo fans can't appreciate footage that demonstrates more technical skill than a couple ollies just because it was filmed west of New York. That being said pappalardo is one of my favorite skaters because I find him aesthetically pleasing to watch, used to be very technical, and skates rugged spots relatively creatively. But, on the other hand, I still get stoked on skaters like Kennedy, Bledsoe, etc. Basically, not all pops fans are assholes.

happy face

• Rep: -55
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2010, 03:03:33 PM »

StarkyLove

• Rep: -119
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »
like i said before, so many pros get hated on here for doing the same tricks and rightfully so. but popps gets to do as many ollies as he wants.

anyway i really like his new shoe, im not buying it though because i refuse to support this douche. i have a friend who is flow on converse so maybe he could hook me up. i doubt it though.